Forums

Topic: Links Awakening or BotW?

Posts 21 to 40 of 52

SwitchForce

jay81uk wrote:

Would you start with BotW, or go for Links Awakening?

Both and play them at different times so you have a better enjoyment of their game play. BOTW first since that was released first and then Awakening as that isn't released yet.

SwitchForce

SwitchForce

StephanDLW wrote:

Considering I didn't like BotW at all, I'd go with Link's Awakening.

BotW is big, sure, but its world is lifeless and dull. I also didn't enjoy the combat because of weapon durability and the shrines/beasts were a real disappointment.

But hey, that's just me of course.

This is a minority viewpoint that so far isn't the Majority and if you look at sales charts BOTW is still listed after 2+ years going not many other open world games on a portable console has done that or kept up with sales.

SwitchForce

Cotillion

They are both very different games.
Links Awakening is top down, linear progress, has dungeons (similar to Link Between Worlds). BotW is 3D, open world and lacks traditional dungeons.
BotW is one of the most critically acclaimed and well received games of this generation (despite the extreme minority here that didn't care for it). Links Awakening is considered by many to one of the best 'old school' Zelda games (and presumably the remake doesn't change a lot of the actual gameplay and plot and such).
I don't think you can really go wrong with either, but each are very different experiences.

Cotillion

Sadist

You can't go wrong with both really.

Link's Awakening is classic Zelda at it's best. While its not as big as Breath of the Wild, it shows several elements why many people consider the series as an all time great; Koholint Island is a lovely and quirky place with loveable characters, tight design and secrets to explore. It also has some fantastic dungeons in design (wait for dungeon 7) and can be very challenging. Soundtrack is great too.

Breath of the Wild is how the series is now and will be the blueprint for future titles to come. While some pieces in its DNA have stayed the same, the game really shakes up the Zelda formula; the sprawling world will let you wander off more often than not. It has more focus on exploring. But it's a different beast all together.

But anyway, if you have not played either, you can not go wrong

Sadist

Gerald

It’s definately worth investing in both (I assume Links Awakening will be good.
But if you still have your 3DS, I would also recommend Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask. Both fantastic if you’ve never played them before, you could probably buy them cheap.

NNID: Ootfan98
3DS FC: 3909 - 7501 - 9000

BlueOcean

Magician wrote:

I'm in the minority who believes BotW is overrated. An expansive, beautiful open world, yes. But I despise item degradation and I prefer dungeons over shrines. Link's Awakening all the way.

I fully agree. Breath of the Wild lacks a captivating story, compelling dungeons and it has a clunky inventory system for clothes and items. Climbing can be too frustrating because it rains a lot in this game and you fall easily and the NPCs and side quests are all forgettable. The visuals are a bit like Skyward Sword (but with modern lighting) which I didn't love and the soundtrack is almost empty. Besides, it's difficult to run and move the camera because of the controls and lack of control customisation (you can only swap two buttons). The weapon degradation and stamina system is awkward because you have to pause the game (with the D-pad) to change weapons in the middle of a real-time fight and also pause the whole game to eat food to refill the stamina bar (circle) while climbing. In my opinion it only succeeds at creating an open world but it's also kind of empty and soulless.

BlueOcean

BlueOcean

StephanDLW wrote:

@SwitchForce
Sure, but my opinion isn't any less valid than the majority's. @jay81uk wanted to know some opinions and I gave him mine. It's up to him what he does with that information.

Well said.

BlueOcean

Dezzy

Spanjard wrote:

^ Really? 35 hours seems way too much even for completing. I don’t know what they could have done to stretch the game this much, if true.

Actually yeah now I think of it, there isn't really any extra content in a game like this is there? So yeah, it's 20 hours probably.
I just added hours for extra content and exploring, but there isn't any in these games.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Monkeido

According to https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10033 it's more like 15-16 hours. I remember never finishing Link's Awakening as a kid, but still enjoying every minute of it (and playing it for way more than 16 hours). But when I went back to it years later, it was a pretty easy game to beat. Still, I obviously love Link's Awakening a lot and think it still holds up well today.

It's hard to compare LA to BotW, but if you've never played LA and don't have any nostalgia for it, I think BotW is the most obvious choice.

Edited on by Monkeido

Monkeido

Luigi-number1

@Dezzy 20 hours is generous.

If you’ve played it before and replaying. I’d say 15 hours max.

Buy them both if you get the chance

Luigi-number1

CurryPowderKeg79

I'd have to agree you can't go wrong with both. But if you can only afford one i'd go with BOTW. Only because you can save your pennies while putting in 100+ hours in BOTW to get Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening.

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
DRAGON QUEST XI S (SWITCH)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

Harmonie

For me, I can't even see a dilemma. BOTW is just the obvious choice. However, I'm so disinterested in Link's Awakening that I wouldn't buy it even if I had the money, so take that how you will. However, at the end of the day BOTW is a new game and LA is just a remake of a really old GB game.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

rallydefault

@SKTTR
Dude, using cost to length to justify games is just a black hole of insanity. You're never going to find sense. Whatever "sense" you find is, as you admit, going to just be a personal thing you come up with.

Games like Stardew Valley are 20 bucks and can last for hundreds of hours. Longer than BotW, even. AND Stardew is a fantastic game, some may even say it's just as good as BotW. So, what the heck happens there? How does that pricing make any sense. It's just crazy, so I don't try to calculate that stuff anymore. Call me a shmuck if you want, but I'll pick my battles and I think my energy is better spent on railing against ridiculous overpriced DLC and microtransactions that come out to WAY more than 10 or 20 bucks.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Arbor

Gerald wrote:

It’s definately worth investing in both (I assume Links Awakening will be good.
But if you still have your 3DS, I would also recommend Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask. Both fantastic if you’ve never played them before, you could probably buy them cheap.

best buy has both for $20 each (at least mine does). two games for less than the price of botw OR link’s awakening, and two fabulous games nonetheless!

Arbor

BlueOcean

Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess are the best 3D Zelda games in my opinion.

I played Link's Awakening on GB when I was a kid and I loved it. Also, it was the first Zelda game that I played. I didn't think it was too difficult, to be honest. Oracle of Ages, however, is complex and twisted, I wasn't able to beat it without a guide. Oracle of Seasons is much simpler than Oracle of Ages. If I had to choose a 2D Zelda game I'd choose Link's Awakening but I haven't played the first two Zelda games (NES). However, I don't know what version look best, the new Switch version or the Game Boy Color version.

BlueOcean

SKTTR

@rallydefault Sorry, but the black hole's in my pocket, and so I'm not going to pay the same price for something less, especially when you can get the same game for 4,99 on the 3DS.

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Dezzy

rallydefault wrote:

@SKTTR
Dude, using cost to length to justify games is just a black hole of insanity. You're never going to find sense. Whatever "sense" you find is, as you admit, going to just be a personal thing you come up with.

Ner that's not true. It's easy.

Price= Production Values X Game Length

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

SKTTR

Dezzy wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

@SKTTR
Dude, using cost to length to justify games is just a black hole of insanity. You're never going to find sense. Whatever "sense" you find is, as you admit, going to just be a personal thing you come up with.

Ner that's not true. It's easy.

Price= Production Values X Game Length

Should be obvious but it's not.

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Sadist

Couldn’t be even farther removed from the truth.

Its all about personal preferences. If we all used this line of reasoning, only big budget games would be worth their money. Its not.

Sadist

BlueOcean

Besides, when a game is longer is not always because it has new content during the playthrough. The story of Breath of the Wild is very short but if your patience is infinite you could spend (waste?) years trying to find every single Korok without a guide.

BlueOcean

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic