Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Posts 561 to 580 of 726

Cotillion

I just got the remake today. Having played the original through many times, I'm quite enjoying it. The lack of screen scroll is very odd to me, though, and takes some getting used to.
Link's Awakening is a brilliant game and I love it, but I kinda forgot it was the first one to introduce the excessive hand holding prominent in the series up until BotW. I just got the Tail Key and the window when I get it says it opens the Tail Cave. Half a second later, everything stops so the Owl can fly in and tell me to go straight to the Tail Cave with the key I just got and where the cave is. It's literally telling me exactly what to do and where twice. I really wish you could turn the hand-holding off.

StableInvadeel wrote:

Ya know, now that they moved the games in their official timeline, if they were to remake the Oracle games it would be really nice to see some references to Links Awakening in them.

I hope they don't and instead officially put the timeline back to the way it was, when it made more sense.

What is it now anyway? After Links Awakening, Link washes ashore to the events of Oracle? Or is it a different incarnation of Link now that does the Oracle events?
I really preferred it to all be the same Link from ALttP who defeats Ganon, goes off to a new land which is when the Oracle games happen and then shipwrecks on Koholint on his way back.

Cotillion

Dezzy

StableInvadeel wrote:

Though I won’t hold my breath, since the mere fact they were made by Capcom probably means they’ll never remake them.

Does Nintendo really care about that? They offered Minish Cap as one of the games for that ambassador program with the 3DS. I doubt they'd have done that if they considered the Capcom games separately. They've made so many Zelda games at this point that I doubt they make a distinction.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Awezom

I'm waiting on a pre owned copy so I can beat and return it lol can't justify buying new it's a remake of a remake and suffers from frame rate drops and only takes a few hours to heat it.. just not worth it to me. I'll just get botw

Awezom

Joeynator3000

I don't know much about that stuff, but wouldn't Nintendo still be able to remake the games even if Capcom made the originals? I mean, it's still Nintendo's IP....shrugs

I'm hoping it happens, mainly because I never actually beat them. I kept getting distracted by other stuff and never got far an either games.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Cotillion

Joeynator3000 wrote:

I don't know much about that stuff, but wouldn't Nintendo still be able to remake the games even if Capcom made the originals? I mean, it's still Nintendo's IP....shrugs

If I were to guess, Nintendo would own all the new characters and whatnot introduced in the Oracle games, but there may be a hitch with something else. Like Capcom may own the music or something like that, that's not directly 'Zelda'.

Cotillion

redd214

Man we're having a blast with this game! We ended up with 2 copies so my boys are playing through it together on their lites. So awesome to watch the figure stuff out together!

redd214

Eel

@Dezzy In a series where every game gets constant call backs and references every other game or so, the capcom games basically never get mentioned or referenced.

It's clear nintendo would rather focus on their own games.

As far as I can remember, the three symbols of the goddesses are the one big thing from them that is still an active part of the series, and even those used to be for something different in their origin game.

Breath of the Wild has two locations named after the lands in the Oracle games, though so that was a nice thing to see.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

@StableInvadeel

What references has Zelda 2 had in other games?

I think they just do it based on popularity.

Octane

@Cotillion I think they can. But I could understand it if they preferred to remake their "own" games.

Octane

Eel

@Dezzy Ocarina of time decided to take the name of almost every town in that game and names the sages with them. It also introduced triforce of courage, something that clearly still exists.

Debatably, you could say it introduced the Rito by virtue of being the first game in the series with bird people. But that is mostly conjecture. Still though, they only appear in the great palace, which is implied as belonging to the royal family. So the bird people in Zelda 2 possibly work for the royal family.

Edit: Also, shadow/dark Link was introduced in that game. And magic as a gameplay element. And few of the items like the hammer and boots, too. And the idea that Ganon can be revived.

It was rather influential for being so... Bad and lonely.

On another more theory based approach, I personally like to believe the Forgotten Temple in BotW is meant to call back to the great palace in Zelda 2, with a cross reference with Skyward Sword. With both being huge temples at the end of a canyon, that were built for the hero, and make a point to feature birds. At the end of both you also encounter a huge bird-person and get your courage recognized in some way.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

link3710

@Dezzy In addition to Stable Invadeel's mentions above, almost every location in Zelda 2 has something named after it in BotW as well. It also introduces the mark of the triforce on the hand (a recurring motif ever since),

It also introduced the idea that all princesses born of the royal family are named Zelda, and introduced (one of) the first who'd been in a magical sleep for centuries or millenia, again something we see referenced in Skyward Sword (who might possibly be the same Zelda?). Basically, every aspect of the games plot has gone on to feed the rest of the series at this point.

link3710

Arbor

i’m loving this game so far the bosses have been easy, which is good because i’m usually awful at combat!

Arbor

Dezzy

@StableInvadeel

Good points, I hadn't remembered those were the town names at all.

HobbitGamer

I'm enjoying the game more than I thought I would, and haven't gotten frustrated with wandering around at all. I completely forgot warp points are a thing, and just end up walking everywhere. I just completed the fourth dungeon, and I've developed a habit of backtracking all over whenever I get a new item. The removal of screen transitions has made a big difference to me, I think.
Has anyone played around with Dampe yet? I've enjoyed that, as well.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Joeynator3000

I figured I would wait towards the end to mess with Dampe, I'm too distracted by the main game right now. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Dezzy

Joycon drift mixed with pegasus boots is not fun.

Tyranexx

Is Hero Mode available from the beginning, or do you have to play through the normal mode first? I'd like to jump right into Hero Mode when I play this one.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Tyranexx

@Galenmereth Awesome! Thanks for the response! The reason I asked is because Nintendo's track record with Hero Mode has been all over the place in recent games. Twilight Princess HD and The Wind Waker HD had it available from the outset. Others like Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds made you play through the normal mode first.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Henmii

Having finished the first 2 dungeons, a quick opinion:

The artstyle is awesome, but the game would have looked even better without the edge of screen blurring.
Some frame-rate droppings here and there, but nothing big this far.
Music is nice but pretty different.
The controls feel a bit stiff to be honest, but they work.
There are collectable figurines this time and I heard overall there are more collectables. So that's nice.

Henmii

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic