Forums

Topic: L.A. Noire - OT

Posts 321 to 340 of 459

electrolite77

jump wrote:

electrolite77 wrote:

bellow wrote:

electrolite77 I'm in the same boat. Wasn't really interested then saw some handheld footage. Now I can't wait to get sleuthing

Yeah I've gone for it. £40 at Argos.

Edit : Oh whoops. My Amazon copy has been despatched. Now I have two.

You can get it for £36 from Tesco.

I'm returning all my copies!

Well probably not. I get a corporate discount at Argos and used their current voucher offer to get a couple of other things as well. Thanks for the tip though. My Amazon one is in a Locker so I'll just ignore it until it goes away.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

NEStalgia

Here's an interesting question: It seems the PS4 download size for digital is 17.8GB. X1 is similar. Yet Switch's size is a whopping 29GB. Meaning if the game were the same size as on Playstation and XBox, almost the whole thing would fit on the cart with only a 1-2GB patch.

Why on earth is the game almost double the data size on Switch than on PS4 with "Pro-enhanced" 4k support?!

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@SKTTR I'm curious about your comments. What do you mean that just like Doom you can just play? Is the download NOT actually required? That doesn't sound right with a huge 14GB download. AFAIK the DL is double Doom's DL size. If I actually COULD play off the card I'd try to buy it (though of course Amazon isn't even listing it....for Switch or PS4....)

@Spoony_Tech my Doom download took like 4.5 hours...... and my connection wasn't even the limitation (phone/laptop had fine performance.)

NEStalgia

Hughesy

@JHDK I thought you were trolling me, but they really do look the same other than resolution. So the guy that kept arguing either in a article or this thread saying the Switch was just getting a last gen port, whilst the other consoles were getting a proper remaster is looking a bit silly now. There’s possibly a longer detail view distance, but yea that’s great to see.

Switch friend code: SW-3225-7165-4815

JaxonH

So apparently the PS4 and X1 versions are only 4gb on disc with a 13-14gb download

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Hughesy

@NEStalgia Lack of compression. When you compress data, it can take performance away as the CPU has to decompress it to access it. so maybe to get it running smoothly they couldn’t compress the data.

Spoony_Tech

@Hughesy To his defense I'm pretty sure it was reported that the Switch version was getting the last gen graphics with the only updates to motion controls and hd rumble. Even I was surprised to see how great this game looks on the Switch. I'd have to say it's the best looking game on the system to date as far as realistic graphics go.

Now I haven't played NBA or any other realistic games on the system other then Doom but it looks better then Doom does but I also understand it's doing something different.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

kobashi100

JaxonH wrote:

So apparently the PS4 and X1 versions are only 4gb on disc with a 13-14gb download

Exactly the same as switch then. Interested to see DF breakdown on this with all versions

kobashi100

Hughesy

@Spoony_Tech It wasn’t reported as that, it was just two separate announcements, so some just wrongly assumed the Switch version was a port of the original last gen version.

SKTTR

NEStalgia wrote:

@SKTTR I'm curious about your comments. What do you mean that just like Doom you can just play? Is the download NOT actually required? That doesn't sound right with a huge 14GB download. AFAIK the DL is double Doom's DL size. If I actually COULD play off the card I'd try to buy it (though of course Amazon isn't even listing it....for Switch or PS4....)

Yep, I played the first 4-5 missions from the cartridge, while downloading the rest of the game. It felt like the full game and I wonder how far you can play. It has to stop somewhere. I guess the whole open world is on it and the first missions. I would have tried to play it to its limit, but once the voiceovers got ot of sync in one of the cutscenes, I stopped playing and waited for the download to finish.

Fortunately the cutscene was fixed after the download, but now I can't go back to see how far you can go without the download.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

RagManX

I really want this game, but I'm offended by the huge download of extra data for the physical version. I've said it before and will repeat it - if they release a deluxe version that has everything on the cartridge I'll definitely pick this up, but I just can't see paying this much for a game that doesn't work off the cartridge. I don't mind patches and enhancements for physical release games, but not putting everything on the cartridge irks me. Charge me for the extra cartridge size - I'm fine with that - but don't give me something that won't even work if the download server goes away.

RagManX

OorWullie

I think I'm going to end up picking this up a lot sooner than I intended. It looks fantastic and dare I say it, possibly the best version overall, what with the motion/touch controls and HD Rumble as well as being portable. I'd take those over a tiny resolution bump any day. Will any website other than non Nintendo website actually have the balls to make that point when doing their reviews?

"While LA Noire still impresses today and with its improved resolution, looks better than ever, it's hard to recommend any serious gamer opts for the PS4Pro version over the superior Nintendo Switch version. Unless having the best resolution version, as marginally better as it is means everything to you, then the portable nature of the Switch version with its neat additions of HD Rumble, motion and touch controls makes it undoubtedly the best version of LA Noire you can buy."

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

JHDK

@Hughesy If they can make it look this good they could probably do something similar with Red Dead 1. And maybe even a scaled down version of GTA5 like we saw with DOOM. I hope this thing sells well to give Rockstar incentive to do more for Switch!

Switch Friend Code: 5258-4283-7999

Spoony_Tech

@JHDK Why would they scale down when GTA5 was first on the PS360? At the very least they could use that build and scale up.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

JHDK

@Spoony_Tech You're right. Being only a Nintendo guy, I thought GTA5 was a XBONE/PS4 title.

Switch Friend Code: 5258-4283-7999

kobashi100

Oh I just read that the Rockstar social club can be linked with your Nintendo account. What have rockstar got planned going forward..

kobashi100

JaxonH

@RagManX
It does work off the cart. Can confirm, just put my cart in and booted up and started playing.

And from what others here have corroborated, the entire open world is there, on the cart, as well as a good chunk of the case files (maybe half? No one has played to the limit to find out). The game is actually totally playable even after the servers go down. Nothing is required.

And just so you know the PS4 and Xbox One versions were the same way. Only they were 4gb on disc, with 13-14gb downloads.

And, for what it's worth, the game practically looks identical to the PS4/X1 versions both graphically and performance wise. Full 1080p docked just like PS4/X1, and full 720p handheld. It's like buying the exact same game only with HD rumble, motion controls, touchscreen support, and of course is fully portable.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

PRIMA Guide for LA Noire, includes changes to Switch version and VR case files

https://www.amazon.com/L-Noire-Prima-Official-Guide/dp/074401...

SKTTR

When you register to the Rockstar Social Club (you can do this from within the Switch version: it opens up the 'locked' Switch internet browser) you get a free outfit in L.A. Noire that makes you more powerful with certain weapons. More bonuses are on the way apparently.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

RagManX

JaxonH wrote:

@RagManX
It does work off the cart. Can confirm, just put my cart in and booted up and started playing.

That's great to hear. I had read last week that the game required a 13-14 Gig download even with the physical cartridge. If everything is on there and the only downloads required are for future patches, I'm definitely going to have to pick this up. Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear I was mistaken in my understanding of the shipped state of the game.

RagManX

Sorry, this topic has been locked.