Forums

Topic: L.A. Noire - OT

Posts 181 to 200 of 459

Qwertyninty

This is going to be an issue. Many third party games won't sell. I forsee this being a successful console but one without huge third part sales. It will be the stigmas all over Nintendo gamers don't buy third party. I'm not talking indies either that's different.

Qwertyninty

jump

Tbh I don't see the difference between this and the day one patches on the PS4/Xbone that go upto 50gb.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Grandpa_Pixel

jump wrote:

Tbh I don't see the difference between this and the day one patches on the PS2/Xbone that go upto 50gb.

There are patches that big!?

Grandpa_Pixel

Haruki_NLI

@Grandpa_Pixel Yes there are.

Hell, do you want something funny?

People are getting outraged over games not coming entirely on the physical media for Switch.

Go buy a physical copy of Forza Motorsport 7 in 4K on your Xbox One X. Go on, I'll wait. It's not all on the disc either. It's 100GB. Only half of that can feasibly be on disc.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grandpa_Pixel

@BLP_Software I would not buy Forza either then. That is beyond insane. I just don't support the practice. DLC is fine. Patches are fine. Just not a massive chunk of the game before I even get to play it.

And man that is an obscenely large file size

Grandpa_Pixel

Haruki_NLI

@Grandpa_Pixel FFXV on PC is 4k too. 170GB.

See a trend? This is where 4K is pushing us. Where 1/10th of the standard HDD size is gone to a single game without DLC or patches.

kobashi100

Taken from resetera

kobashi100 wrote:

We don't know what Nintendo is paying for these cards, we only know what they charge publishers for them. And with that in mind, we have the word that the 8GB option is about the same as on other platforms (taking the Wii U numbers that would be about $10). A 32GB release would be more than 20GB, so the price that publishers would need to pay to Nintendo would be more than $10 higher. The retail price would than increase by an even larger amount as retailers would want the same percentage margin of the retail price as on other platforms. Please also bear in mind that we don't know all the details about the 8GB release costing about the same to publishers, given that licensing fees on other platforms depend on the chosen retail price, similar to what Nintendo did with Wii and Wii U. Thus an 8GB release might still be more expensive to publishers than for example a PS4 $30 release.

The costs of a 16GB release lie somewhere between the costs of an 8GB and a 32GB release. If the price that Nintendo charges for a 16GB release was just an additional $5 over what they charge for an 8GB release, then the retail price would still increase by $10 as all parties would expect their profit margins to remain constant. Of the additional $10 on the retail price, retailers alone would already take $3 (30%).

So here we are:

• Publishers incur costs of $10 on other platforms for production and licensing
  • For a 32GB release on Switch, they incur costs of more than $20
    > That means for a 32GB release they would need to pay over $10 more than on other platforms
    > Even if the publishers didn't want to keep their margin constant, retailers would require that. Thus even if the publisher would just want to get reimbursed for additional costs, the price would increase even more and the increase would be even higher than the $10 we see in this case.[/QUOTE]
    [

Edited on by kobashi100

kobashi100

Grandpa_Pixel

BLP_Software wrote:

@Grandpa_Pixel FFXV on PC is 4k too. 170GB.

See a trend? This is where 4K is pushing us. Where 1/10th of the standard HDD size is gone to a single game without DLC or patches.

The problem is not 4K, it is greed. The PS/Xbox power race is going at such a speed to be the most amazing graphics yet that technology can't keep up. We don't have efficient software to make powerful graphics without a hefty filesize. At least not on the cheap. This is similar to with the Switch has a shorter battery life. Advanced technology straining battery technology (which has not evolved in a long time for the tech race)

Eventually, the problem will get too big that it becomes a huge problem. I am glad Nintendo still focuses on game design first and graphics later. Even if the graphics are still amazing

Grandpa_Pixel

JaxonH

@BLP_Software
The difference is, Forza physically cannot fit. Whereas all these Switch games can, they're just choosing not to. They have the ability to completely fit, yet they stick us with half games on cart and large downloads on a portable system not built for large downloads.

And this despite the fact we're paying the difference. We're paying the added cost of 32gb carts, but we're getting nothing in return.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

SKTTR

I wonder what's next on my preorder-cancel list. Skyrim? Xenoblade 2? Wolfenstein?

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH I imagine if a game is over 32GB it would happen anyway.

Its just interesting people are ok with half a game on one system but not another, regardless of why its the case.

@SKTTR Skyrim is all on one card.

JaxonH

@BLP_Software
It would, but thus far all but one game would have fit on a 32gb card. And that one game would have only needed a gig or two download.

That's a huge difference. One game having a 2gb download will upset no one. Practically every single AAA game requiring 10-20gb downloads does. Especially when they're missing so much content you can't even play the game from cart.

Which even Forza was playable from disc. You might not have the fancy 4k textures but the game was all there, fully playable. People don't like physical media that's missing half the game, can't be played as is, and especially when the situation could have easily been avoided.

Why wouldn't people be upset they're opting to cap their cartridge sizes at 8-16gb? People were worried 32gb wouldn't be enough, but accepted some select games might have portions of the game as downloads. A select few games above 32. What people didn't expect is every single AAA game to use 8gb carts (16gb if we're lucky) when the option to fit the entire game on cart has been made available.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH You're surprisingly aggressive with replies sometimes.

Anyway, the point is this: Its a double standard regardless. You buy a physical game the entire game barring additional DLC content should be on that disc. That isn't the case for a lot of games on other systems, when it should be. Why are people only up in arms over this?

Sure, you couldn't fit 4k games on a bluray? But optical media hasn't evolved, just like battery tech, for over 10 years now. Blurays are 10 years old, wheres the new thing? Where's the new medium to hold these games?

JaxonH

@BLP_Software
Not... sure... what part of that was "agressive". I'm just telling you why this is indeed a problem.

And I can't think of a single game on "other platforms" where they chose to only put 20gb on disc and make you download the rest, despite having perfectly good disc space to use.

The only time downloads are required on other systems are 1 DLC 2 updates/patches and you will never see part of the core game stripped out and made a required download when they could have fit it on disc.

So it's not a double standard. In the rare instances games have been sold on other platforms and screwed consumers like this (Minecraft and Lara Croft Temple of Osiris on Vita including download codes in a case instead of cart) people were livid. And I ranted a good rant about that.

So no, it's not the case for alot of games and in the rare instance it is, it's only because they already filled the disc. And when it's one of the above examples people were angry as hell

JaxonH

@BLP_Software
And, I should add, people have been tolerant of this issue. When it seemed to be just a couple games, and they were normal price... alot of people turned a blind eye.

But when they want to charge us an extra $10 for the "privilege" of only getting half a game on cart... that's when people start drawing the line. If it was using a 32gb and still had a download I'd be more accepting because it would be out of their hands. And likely a far smaller additional download. And likely playable from cart.

Tibob

Personally I'm still really hyped about the game and looking forward to playing it !!

Tibob

Pazzo-TheFool

I already have my Micro SD card on standby. I'm going physical for LA Noire, so if I need more space I'll delete it and keep my save data. Did it all the time on my 3DS.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

Spoony_Tech

Oh I'm still hyped for this game but yesterdays news still makes it a little sour.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

SKTTR

I canceled my preorder. I might get it used for a tenner.
I hoped it was on a 32GB cart, I would have paid even 59,99 for it.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Sorry, this topic has been locked.