Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem Engage for Nintendo Switch

Posts 461 to 480 of 842

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
Koei Tecmo did Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV which is on Switch, and it's a historical strategy game commanding large armies, and retelling the story of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which is classic Chinese literature based on the Han dynasty a few thousand years ago. You can Google if you want to know more.

Anyways, Fire Emblem Three Houses story is basically a mish-mash of that same story, which Koei Tecmo has been retelling over and over since the original Romance of the Three Kingdoms game on NES. It seemed fresh and new to a lot of ppl who never experienced it before, but it's actually based on the same story they've been retelling for decades. Which explains why it's so good. And, it is a good story. But it's kind of a one trick pony in that regard. KT had countless years experience retelling this story of 3 warring Kingdoms, and you can only play that card once (at least for FE- for the games based on the Chinese literature are a series based on it).

So... I wouldn't expect anything else from them in that respect. They played their Ace and spent it already.

I think Maddening casual would be a good mix. Ya, it's super hard but if you're on Casual you can let units die. So it should even out pretty well. Just try to beat the maps without everyone dying.

Of course, if normal is more appropriate for you then I wouldn't advocate Maddening. More or less thinking of runs I could do myself in the future.

Truthfully, I started Awakening on Normal Casual and was always too scared to try Hard Mode. But when Three Houses released, while I did play on Normal still, for the first time ever I switched to Classic. I wanted to experience the tension of permanent death looming over my shoulder, but with a difficulty that wouldn't put me at high risk of that actually happening. And with rewinds, there was always a safety net just in case. Turns out, I had way more fun on Classic. It totally changes how you feel with every move. Even knowing there's rewinds as a fallback, it still makes you play carefully.

When Engage released, I had a long hard think about how the last few FE were honestly a bit too easy on Normal, and how it just wasn't providing the challenge I originally got from Awakening (which was likely because it was my first turn based game ever). I craved difficulty that provides some actual challenge again, so I decided Hard Classic it is. After all, there are still rewinds, you can save between turns, and if you lose you can keep the EXP and try again. And, you can always lower difficulty if it proves too much.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@NintendoByNature Koei Tecmo also did Pokemon Conquest though it's only on DS.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

JaxonH wrote:

KT had countless years experience retelling this story of 3 warring Kingdoms, and you can only play that card once (at least for FE- for the games based on the Chinese literature are a series based on it).

So... I wouldn't expect anything else from them in that respect. They played their Ace and spent it already.

I mean, if IS can keep making Fire Emblem stories about evil dragons, then surely K-T shouldn't have issues coming up with new warring kingdoms storylines, right? If nothing else, the TH devs seem PERFECT for that FE4 remake.

Three Houses was pretty easy even on Hard mode. Can't imagine what Normal difficulty must have been like.

Out of interest, what difficulty did you play Fates: Conquest on?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Touche ๐Ÿ˜€

I actually think it works with simple, classic stories like what Engage and Awakening use because it's kind of the identity of the series, just like Zelda and it's recurring story themes. Whereas with a story that different and specific, I don't think it would work trying to recycle and reinvent.

They would be a good fit for Holy War, except that story is already written so, there wouldn't be much for them to do. I imagine Holy War will simply be done akin to Shadows of Valentia, building on what's already there.

As for difficulty, I found Three Houses Normal fairly comfy, until the Black Knight chapter which I died on. It was then I thought, "I can't even imagine how hard this would be on Hard Mode" and it scared me off of Hard once again. Maybe it wouldn't seem as hard now as I feel I'm improving.

I played Conquest on Hard Casual, I believe? I know I was too scared to depart from my Casual safety net at the time, but because of that safety net, wasn't afraid to up the ante a bit with Hard, especially after beating Birthright on Normal Casual without issue, which boosted my confidence.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH noted on KT, i may just have to check the game out. As for engage, I just did a few skirmishes before chapter 8 and I'm off to bed. I'm all geared up for the next chapter with upgrades, items, training etc. I may just up the difficulty and Try classic, but we'll see ๐Ÿ˜‰.
@grumblevolcano good to know!

NintendoByNature

Pizzamorg

Honestly, so far (16 Chapters in), I wouldn't say Engage and Three Houses have dramatically different stories. Engage is just a paper thin, surface telling, of the kind of story Three Houses went for. You have got this awakened deity amnesiac protagonist who holds the key to some grand power, a big bad dragon baddie with an intrinsic link to the protag, a series of kingdoms with specific traits to set them apart who are all either at war, or have some kind of uneasy alliance and you have a McGuffin driving the motivations of everyone. Three Houses just provided depth and dimension to all of that, whereas Engage is just a shounen anime where colourful characters fight the baddies because it is the right thing to do or whatever.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Pizzamorg

Oh man, I love the representation Rosado provides, but oh boy I dunno whether the forces of evil are bigots or what, but every time I put him in my team I swear every enemy unit on the map guns for him and I can't keep him up to save my life.

Nidorom

@Pizzamorg
This boy confuses me sexually and I like both genders, that's not a bad thing I love him XD
and here I was being confused with Grusha in Scarvi...
I always make sure I have Framme there to protecc him/Ivy/Merrin those three are my MVP's right now.

Nidorom

Twitter:

Pizzamorg

Nanami_Ataraxi wrote:

@Pizzamorg
This boy confuses me sexually and I like both genders, that's not a bad thing I love him XD
and here I was being confused with Grusha in Scarvi...
I always make sure I have Framme there to protecc him/Ivy/Merrin those three are my MVP's right now.

Haha, as the same, I welcome that Rosado confusion.

I recently swapped Framme over to a Martial Arts Master or whatever the advance class was, after having her as a High Priest for ages, because you get that new Unit who starts as a High Priest and having two seemed unnecessary. Framme is way more useful in this class I have found.

Maybe it is just because I have been ignorant to it through my whole playthrough (I got Jean from that paralogue, but he fell behind really quickly and any attempt to try and drag him up has been hopeless), but hand to hand units are really useful.

Framme is great for setting up breaks for other units with bad matchups, or guarding fragile units with chain guard, she also seems to have really high I dunno what stat it is, avoid, dex and dodge must all do different things, but I have no idea what, but either way, she dodges stuff like it is the matrix and those hand to hand parry animations? Eugh, so clean. I have her paired with a ring I won't spoil, but it makes her even more versatile as a support/healing unit, while amplifying her One Punch Man status.

Gotta be honest, I haven't made much use of Merrin or Ivy. On the first mission you get Merrin, they ended up in no man's land across the map but effectively cleaned house. It was kinda insane to watch as units were rushing (her? Him?), and they would just dodge everything and take them down. One of the standout performances from any Unit I've had. However, I'd already invested in Yunaka as a Wolf Knight at that point and didn't see the value in two of them (especially as that other Unit you get who starts as a thief has been really useful for me as well).

In terms of Ivy, I tend to try and take lower level units into Skirmishes in the vague hope I might get lucky and level some up, and then tend to take my strongest units into story missions just in case I have any tricky objectives. I have a bunch of Units like Ivy which sorta sit in the middle between my highest and lowest, so they never end up in my rotation - one of the many issues with the huge roster size, but I guess this is also my fault for playing on casual, rather than playing on classic and letting fate declutter some of my roster. But as I am on casual, I assume naturally over time she may end up falling down far enough that I'll try and drag her through some skirmishes.

Or if I get a ring I feel will pair with her, she could get back in that way. I have rotated a bunch of Units I dropped fairly early on back into rotation because the synergy or flexibility an Emblem pairing affords them, it hasn't always worked out (actually I think it failed on almost every attempt lol), but both Diamant and Etie at least who were basically dropped, have now got new life as dominant members of my roster because of the Emblem pairings I gave them and I am in the process of redragging Boucheron through the mud with me as well, although I hear his best class is Berserker and I already have and adore Panette who starts as a Berserker, so maybe my efforts on Bo are wasted.

alpacatears

I just had a question that someone here might know the answer to. Do the skirmishes on the world map scale with the main characters level?
I was doing a fair few to level up a some lower level characters and they are showing as level 13 battles whereas the main questline is only at like 8 or 9.
If it scales with the protag, I probably shouldn't include them in these fights or it would be harder for the lower level characters to stay alive as I keep going.

alpacatears

Pizzamorg

alpacatears wrote:

I just had a question that someone here might know the answer to. Do the skirmishes on the world map scale with the main characters level?
I was doing a fair few to level up a some lower level characters and they are showing as level 13 battles whereas the main questline is only at like 8 or 9.
If it scales with the protag, I probably shouldn't include them in these fights or it would be harder for the lower level characters to stay alive as I keep going.

Oh is that what is happening? Skirmishes have been basically useless for me through my whole playthrough as they are always a truly massive leap ahead of whatever the current story mission level was and the AI seems to absolutely smell blood in the water when it comes to low level units and will defy all logic to beeline and take them down straight away.

I run the protag in every mission, I'm not sure if you can even take them out, I've never tried, so if it is scaling off of them, it might make sense as to why there is such a discrepancy between the level requirements. If that is the case though, I think that design is really poor and I can't work out why they would design it in that way.

JaxonH

@alpacatears
I think they scale, but I've heard a lot of ppl say the skirmishes are several levels ahead of where they are. I haven't had issues- I can usually take on enemies up to 5 levels above. Try one and see how it goes. I don't think removing Alear will change anything but, who knows

Ralizah

@JaxonH Hard/Classic Conquest is still one of the most challenging gaming experiences I've enjoyed to date. Trying to keep people alive during certain chapters (Vietnam flashbacks to Ch. 10) took a year off my life somewhere, I'm almost convinced. I have no idea how people do Lunatic runs of that game on Classic.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Is that the chapter in the cave with caltrops and activated traps?

I remember struggling with that one.

Ralizah

@JaxonH It's the chapter where you're defending specific spaces in an expansive fort from an enemy invasion for a number of turns. It wouldn't be too horrible if it was a simple Rout the Enemy map, but since your goal is to prevent enemies from reaching a certain point on the map, you're constantly having to put your units in danger to keep them from reaching the goal.

Maps like that were hell on classic/hard prior to the introduction of the Divine Pulse mechanic, lol.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Oh I bet. Rewinds have been a game changer, in the literal sense.

It's so nice going back to correct your mistakes without wasting half an hour redoing the exact same moves just to get back to that same point you were at. Rewinds are basically same as a reset, but with QoL of auto-performing all your same moves up to that point to save the tedium.

10 rewinds may sound like a lot, but I'm consistently using 5 of them on early game maps. If you burn through them all, that's truly the loss scenario.

Ryu_Niiyama

Iโ€™m going to try not to use divine pulse 2.0. I fine tune my actions enough as is.

@JaxonH normal classic. I donโ€™t up the difficulty unless I replay (except 3H cuz I like my blood pressure where it is thank you. Will probably do my final silver snow run on the hardest setting though).

Itโ€™s so much worse because Mitsuishi-sama is my favorite VA.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

I love Fire Emblem Engage so much.

Sooooo so so so much ๐Ÿ˜€

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

Scooby-Doo

@JaxonH Did not expect to see that name referenced in Engage, did not see that coming at all.

Truly I am mankind's natural foe! Evil Incarnate! A walking cataclysm! A shapeless insanity! GUNDHAM TANAKA!
Kelpies. Be they hound or horse? I'd rather smell wet dog than be drowned by a horse.
Currently Playing on Switch: Chaos Head Noah, PARANORMASIGHT, Mega Man Series.

ElRoberico

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@NintendoByNature Koei Tecmo also did Pokemon Conquest though it's only on DS.

I don't think I could put the things I'd do for Pokemon Conquest 2 here without being banned.

I really love Engage right now. It's exactly what I need to really get through the day to be honest.

@Ralizah Chapter 10 was MENTAL

Edited on by ElRoberico

Currently playing: Marvel's Spider-Man

TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic