Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem Engage for Nintendo Switch

Posts 461 to 480 of 776

JaxonH

Some crucial strategies for Engage I've picked up during my playtime:

• Chain Guard is a must. Qi Adept sub-class (your healers) can chain guard an adjacent unit if the healer has full health. I cannot express how many times this mechanic was needed to bait strong enemies and survive otherwise deadly attacks. Ignore at your own peril
  • Backup sub-class is a great way to land chain attacks. If the back-up unit is in range of an enemy you attack with a different unit, they will chip in for extra damage. Not crucial like chain guard but it can make or break plays at times
  • Armored Unit sub-class is unbreakable, and highly resistant to everything except magic and armor breaking weapons. If you plant an armored unit on some bushes or better yet a fort for that sweet +30 Avoid (and healing each turn for the fort) you can watch entire armies run to their own death against them. Just make sure there's no mages or armor busting weapons.
  • Archers are crucial for taking out fliers. Moreso than in any FE game of the last decade. Always keep at least one archer on your team
  • Vulneraries play a much more important role in Engage. They now heal for 15 HP rather than 10 HP as has been tradition, and certain units have skills where any ally within 2 spaces gets 50% extra healing from items. Always keep vulneraries on each unit.
  • There is a skill you can inherit from Emblem Macaiah that grants 50% self healing any time a healer uses a staff to heal someone else. This not only keeps the healer topped up, but also ensures they're available for Chain Guard, since you must have full HP to execute
  • Use the smithy to upgrade your axes first. Axes have the lowest hit rate in the game. Hand Axe hit = 65, and some axes are even 60. The best use of upgrading early game is to raise those hit rates
  • Forging upgrades requires ingots, and the best way to get ingots is from doggos on the farmyard. Don't bother with anything else- chickens, cats, sheep... just dogs. You'll want as many ingots as you can get.
  • Use the arena to deepen bond level with emblems that aren't equipped to that character so that they can inherit skills from them. You must reach bond Level 5 to inherit skills. For example, Sigurd has Canter, which allows a unit to move 2 tiles after attacking. I'm trying to learn that skill from Sigurd on all my units. If you bought the DLC, best bang for buck is the Edelgard skill that grants 20% extra EXP. It only costs 150 SP to inherit, while Canter from Sigurd is 1000 SP, for example.
  • The best use of your bond fragments is to increase bond level in the arena to Level 5 with various unit-emblem combinations to unlock inheriting their skills. You can spend them on gacha rings, and I would put at least some percentage of your bond fragments toward that, but not the majority. Maybe 25% melding bond rings, 75% raising bond level with Emblems.
  • If you download FE Heroes app you can claim 3 free weapons and 3 free S-rank bond rings as a promotional gift. I've found these weapons to be rather good. Not game breaking, but certainly worth using

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika
Normal Casual I take it? The 3DS games didn't have rewind (well, Shadows of Valentia did) so I can appreciate Casual Mode for Awakening and Fates.

Conquest is definitely the hardest of the 3 Fates routes. But Awakening is a fine specimen. It's cracked (by that I mean there are ways to abuse the game mechanics to become OP) but a lot of people actually enjoy that about it. And, if you're not specifically going out of your way to do so, it'll feel pretty well balanced. Though I do wish it had rewinds. Sometimes the enemy pairs up and gets a lucky crit.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Engage, Persona 4 Golden, Crisis Core FFVII, Monster Hunter Rise, Mario Rabbids SoH
3DS: Fire Emblem Fates - Revelations
SD: Sniper Elite 5, Jedi Fallen Order
XSX / PS5 / PC: [none]

Jesus is Lord.

EaglyTheKawaiiShika

@JaxonH nope I’m going against the wall with whatever the hardest difficulty/classic I just know that if I do it with conquest I won’t have any units but my hero and lord at the end.I was also going to restart it anyways I had no idea what I was getting into and gave all my kills to the Jagen unit because he was strong and I tried to make him stronger

I think awakening is a good place to start 3 houses is radically different from previous fire emblem games and awkeening seems like a good place to start to get into the broader fire emblem games. I’m not going to wuss (I am like 99% sure this word is fine to say) out like 3 houses if someone dies they are going to stay dead.

Edited on by EaglyTheKawaiiShika

Top Games, Xenoblade 1 2 3, Noir a tomato/replicats, Mario galaxy 1 2, MGS5, Stardew valley, Hollow knight, Yakuza Like a dragon, GOW 2018, Doom 2016, Dragon quest 11, Bug fables, FE3H
Holy S##t guys Puss in boots 2 is great
https://youtu.be/bEoNNYyVNxc - Puss in boots 2 preview

Ryu_Niiyama

Ugh. Welp won’t get FE: Engage until tomorrow so I likely won’t play until Sunday. Ah well I will avoid the posts till then.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Suicune

I'm happy I chose classic mode for the first time. Chapter five made me lose a unit, which I would've normally ignored since I was already close to victory, but now I rewound time and learned from my mistake. It makes the heavy armory class much more vital to bait enemies, a class I kind of ignored in 3H because I didn't see the use for it.

Suicune

Pizzamorg

The game kinda feels like it was built to be played on classic and for you to lose units along the way. Almost every chapter seems to give you three new Units, and from around Chapter 10ish onwards I think, almost all of them are Advance classes, so you are kinda dropping your three weakest Units with each new Chapter anyway (as there isn't a meaningful way to drag them up once they fall behind as far as I can tell). Feels like had I let them just die, it would give me way less menu clutter to work through now I am approaching the 30 hour mark with a huge list of Units I never use.

Currently playing a LOT of Marvel Snap on Mobile and working my way through Dying Light 2 on PC.

JaxonH

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika
Um... the hardest difficulty?

Awakening had four difficulty levels. Normal, Hard, Lunatic, and Lunatic+ which needed to be unlocked.

You're saying you're gonna play on Lunatic? On Classic? Lol Awakening Lunatic is revered as pretty insane.

@Suicune
Nice. That's why rewinds are so great- they encourage ppl to try Classic mode, which is far more rewarding when you fix your mistakes rather than power through them.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Engage, Persona 4 Golden, Crisis Core FFVII, Monster Hunter Rise, Mario Rabbids SoH

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@EaglyTheKawaiiShika I heavily encourage you to not go Lunatic/Classic on your first playthrough. Hard/Classic is a fine challenge.

Thinking about it, the worst part of Lunatic Awakening was the beginning, so it'll filter you pretty quickly if you're not up for the challenge.

@Pizzamorg Sounds like Engage might be ideal for an Ironman run in the future.

Edited on by Ralizah

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Buizel

So I'm about 9 chapters in now and I'm saddened to say...I'm not really feeling this one.

That's not to say I don't enjoy the game, but it's not blowing me away either. The combat is pretty solid and I do find myself looking forward to the story missions. The Engage mechanic is pretty cool, and I do like taking advantage of the "break" system.

But personally I don't find the combat mechanics to make up for the rest of the game. Pretty much everything else — from the story-telling, characters, additional activities, music...even UI elements — feels like a massive step down from Three Houses. I understand that the focus of this game is moreso on the combat itself than on the story and social aspects...But having all of these half-baked components in the game anyway just makes it all feel like a bit of a rush job rather than a conscious design decision. I'd rather, if they were to streamline the game, they'd go all-out and just put all non-combat stuff and battle prep in menus or something.

I'm glad others, particularly FE and TRPG aficionados, are able to enjoy this one. But it's honestly not 100% working for me and leaves me wanting more.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Pizzamorg

I'm glad it isn't just me @Buizel. I am enjoying Engage overall, but yeah, it feels like it needed like another year or two in development to me. Not because it is broken, it is actually shockingly polished in places, but just because it feels so content incomplete. Pretty much everything not directly related to the combat feels like it was just bolted on at the wind down of the dev cycle. The Somniel has absolutely no reason to be in the game at all and feels like a consolation prize for people who joined the franchise because of Three Houses. The story is only there to facilitate why you are in X location with X baddies and need to fight them in that moment and offers nothing else. Maybe it doesn't need to, but between that and the paper thin characters, everything just feels so flat. Everything else just feels like it has been so aggressively streamlined it is left feeling gutted. Kinda reminds me a lot of Arceus this time last year in that regard, wherein that game really refined the moment to moment gameplay to a really polished degree and it felt great to play, but there was almost no meat around that bone at all.

Currently playing a LOT of Marvel Snap on Mobile and working my way through Dying Light 2 on PC.

EaglyTheKawaiiShika

@Ralizah the worst part of the hardest difficulty for any game is the beginning l. It’s like they expect you to be performing at max capacity with an endgame build right when just starting. Ironically the final boss is usually easier than some opening encounters

Top Games, Xenoblade 1 2 3, Noir a tomato/replicats, Mario galaxy 1 2, MGS5, Stardew valley, Hollow knight, Yakuza Like a dragon, GOW 2018, Doom 2016, Dragon quest 11, Bug fables, FE3H

Buizel

@Pizzamorg Yeah this pretty much aligns with my feelings. It does at times feel like a "stop-gap" title for experimenting with things while they plan for something more ambitious. That said, I don't have much history with the series (having only played Awakening and Three Houses), so I can't say much on this, and a lot of FE fans seem to be eating it up so maybe I'm missing something. I'm also probably a lot more into the RPG and social elements than your traditional FE fan so I'm willing to accept that this title just isn't for me.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

EaglyTheKawaiiShika

Do you get to pet the cat? If not I ain’t playing the game

NintendoByNature

It's been solid so far. Just finished chapter 7, did some skirmishes, and paralogues. Characters and story are growing on me a little more. I love picking up new characters. And of course, the gameplay has been stellar.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@Buizel
This game is like Awakening. If you're a fan of Awakening this game is incredible. If you're looking for a Three Houses type game you'll definitely be disappointed, because it's simply not trying to be that.

As someone who started with Awakening and adores it, I've been waiting 10 years for a game like this that has the same kind of light hearted story and slice of life characters, extremely strong gameplay (and the maps and objectives in this game are chef's kiss, that's one thing Awakening was bad with).

I still adore Three Houses also, but there's a special place in my heart for the Awakening formula. I like all flavors of FE and appreciate the variety more than just getting the same thing every time. This is the Fire Emblem on Switch I've been waiting for.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
Alear grew on me the most, surprisingly.

Avatar characters are typically one of the few I don't get attached to, because they're kind of a blank slate insert. But Alear has personality. I'm so glad I chose female Alear because I've watched Let's Plays with the male Alear and... it's just not as good. Being fully voiced helps a lot. Not only does the hair no longer seem strange to me, but Alear as a character is actually quite relatable. I especially like how at the beginning Vander's all, "what do we do, Divine One? You whose bravery knows no equal" and Alear's like, "we run" lol. Nice to have a character that doesn't act like Superman right out of the gate.

What do you think of Yunaka? She's one of my favorite characters alongside Framme.

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH same for alear, I was unsure at first, but he( I chose male) really gives every situation some deep thought, and analyzes the outcome as opposed to jumping right in. Yunaka is great, I like the little guy Jean, and Vander is your typical BA which I love.

To your point, the more I think about it, it is like awakening, which isn't a bad thing. Still very enjoyable. I'm more of a 3H guy though. I'd place that top 3ish on my switch, so it's hard to top. I guess it is nice to have little to do, and jump straight back into battles right away if you wanted to.

NintendoByNature

Pizzamorg

Just to make it clear, I love Three Houses, but absolutely hated the social side of that game, so I'm not bummed Engage isn't more Three Houses. I'm bummed because Engage feels like such a threadbare, watered down, product and doesn't meaningfully evolve Three Houses best parts.

If Engage was exactly the same and it just had the Three Houses social calendar stuff bolted onto it, I'd actively dislike the game rather than enjoy it like I am doing. Because I am enjoying it, but I am also wishing it did more.

However, I will concede that had Engage been exactly as it is, but offered Three House's level of customisation and RPGness (for the lack of a better term), I think this would be a massively better game and probably would make it easier for me to look by the weak characters, story, half baked elements etc

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
Oh I love Three Houses. Far be it from me to disparage that game. It's incredible. It's simply not the only flavor of Fire Emblem I enjoy. While the more serious tone and historical drama is super interesting, it's nice to have a lighter tone entry that doesn't waste an hour running errands between each battle, that focuses more on charm and humor than lore and backstory, with traditional classes and way more focus on strategy. Both approaches are equally entertaining in my view, but I do think gameplay trumps all, and Engage gameplay mops the floor with not only Three Houses, but also Awakening, Shadows of Valentia, Fates Birthright, and even though Fates Conquest and Revelation are top notch, I'd say it tops those as well.

This is the first FE game in a long time where the maps have lots of corridors and choke points, terrain plays a much larger focus, and the objectives are extremely varied. It's been such a pleasant surprise not seeing "Route the Enemy" for every map.

But ya, Engage was clearly modeled to mimic Awakening, getting back to their roots of when the series blew up. Awakening is the game most modern fans fell in love with, so going back to what made people fall in love in the first place was a good move imo. The devs are always trying new things, so it's not like every game in the series henceforth is going to follow this model. They seem to bounce around, from Awakening/Fates to Echoes/Three Houses, and now back to the Awakening/Fates style with Engage. Everyone gets what they want. And then there's people like me who love both, so I'm eating fat like a king right now 😀

BTW I've been leveling up Jean also. His growth rates are superb. Also, Louis is MVP. That guy is a truck. I love how Vander scolds Framme in their support convos lol. "The fact you can't handle even the most basic of tasks is why I worry for your future" 🤣

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@Buizel @Pizzamorg

Engage and Three Houses had almost entirely different development staff. Intelligent Systems had to approve of the general direction Three Houses went, but otherwise, that game seems to be Koei-Tecmo's baby. Whereas Engage was written primarily by people who worked on Awakening/Fates.

It'll be interesting to see if this is all indicative of a more permanent divide for the series. Considering how well games like Three Houses and Age of Calamity have sold, though, it seems likely that KT's close relationship with Nintendo will continue.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I hope so. As much as I love Engage and the Awakening style approach, I do very much also love Three Houses. I'm sure they will. KT is always partnering with Nintendo for stuff. Next game is likely a Genealogy of the Holy War remake though. After that, probably another Three Houses type entry, and then another Engage type entry.

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic