Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem Engage for Nintendo Switch

Posts 121 to 140 of 842

Ryu_Niiyama

That new trailer looks pretty good. Seems the red/blue color thing isn't just for the protag (family trait? Species trait?) I swear I am getting some serious Awakening with a dash of Fates vibes from this game now. Bring on January!

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

StarPoint

That new trailer is really impressive. The art style has absolutely grown on me at this point; I think it looks fantastic.

But, yeah, I am definitely going to be playing this with the Japanese dub. That English VA was kind of hard to listen to.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
I just watched it. It is pretty good.

Wasn't expecting them to start hyping it up until after Pokemon, DQ Treasures and Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core, but here we are.

Don't mistake my love for Three Houses- the game is incredible. But I'm thirsty for a more "Awakening" type experience with Fates gameplay.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH It's all about momentum. Since FE turns out good numbers now and Jan is right around the corner, makes sense that they are trying to get people interested. I feel like the other games you mentioned either need no introduction or rather that people that know they are going to get them...know they are going to get them.

That being said I'm mixed. I really enjoyed the Three Houses formula and feel there is more they can do in that world (no I haven't finished it yet). Yet it’s good to see the more bombastic fantasy elements return. ( I mean all FE have fantasy elements but Three Houses made them imo blend in a bit more with the world. Perhaps because they were used as the vehicle to prop up that world's society via the church, noble houses and the game's conflict).

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
I think Fire Emblem Three Houses has inevitably ran its course. It's super good. But considering the base game includes 3 different routes (4, actually, forgot about the Church route, which is weird because that was my first route), and then the DLC added a 5th route, and then we got Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes which kind of spun a new "what if" scenario... that's like, 6 different versions of events. I feel satisfied with that.

Maybe one day they'll revisit the world of Three Houses and do a new game that focuses on different continents or maybe a different era. But for now, I'm glad they went back to basics with the more Awakening-style art style and gameplay.

I do like both though. The fantasy and the more grounded approach. They may be trying to satisfy both groups of the fanbase- the smaller group of OG fans who I think were very pleased with Three Houses but didn't like Awakening/Fates (to be fair though a lot of ppl disliked Fates, at least the story anyways). And the Awakening generation of fans such as myself who loved the 3DS era Fire Emblem games.

I suspect they'll continue to alternate back and forth. Three Houses (satisfy old fans) > Engage (satisfy new fans) > Genealogy remake (satisfy old fans) > ????? (satisfy new fans), etc.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH I think I feel this way because Sothis isn’t truly resolved. But I have to accept what she is: the fragmented remains of a dead goddess’ psyche, body (crest and the sword) and power…

But what happened to her is so compelling to me and so sad. Plus her kids/bloodline… it’s just horrible but intriguing to me …buuut ultimately the backdrop for another war epic. I guess I feel like 3H did what fates wanted to do but in a more coherent fashion. So I want more even if I acknowledge that it really isn’t the point. But I tend to get lost in the weeds of a story.

Anyway the cycle approach to the presentation of FE games really works for them. It’s keeps the disgruntled masses from having too much to complain about for long. Except for the folks that hate everything Awakening on.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
Definitely agree about Three Houses being a redo of the Fates approach. And they nailed it.

Such a shame though, how Fates turned out. The gameplay was better than ever, map design still has yet to be matched. But the characters weren't relatable because they weren't well written. And despite the interesting plot premise, the story wasn't well written either.

Ah well. I'm just glad we're finally getting a second Fire Emblem game on Switch. I remember when Fates was revealed for 3DS in a Direct, and it showed the camera do a smooth transition from overhead view to attack view. And I was blown away.... so insanely hyped for that game when it was first shown.

It's hard to believe, but with Fates missing the mark, we actually haven't gotten a proper follow up to Awakening in that same style ever since. And that will have been 10 yrs ago when Engage drops. An entire DECADE! Where does the time go?

I really enjoyed Three Hopes though. If you're super into Three Houses, I highly recommend it. Best Warriors style game I've ever played. It's so good.

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH Agreed. One thing I love about the FE franchise is the sense of legacy. Even though the games are not often sequels (granted some are) there is this sense of carrying on the franchise in each new entry. Like that feeling that they had with Awakening where IS sorta goes "Ok this is it, the last game so lets put as much of what we love about FE in there". I think that speaks to people subconsciously that feeling that you are not just playing a game or a story but almost a celebration of what makes that series fun. Sorta like what Zelda did with SS or BoTW. They weren't just Zelda games but an example of jubilation for the franchise (and the work that many of the staffers have put in) that heart, not fanservice but really that feeling that people made this work, people that are just excited for you to play and enjoy it as fans are to buy it. That connection doesn't happen as much anymore in games so I suppose whenever I feel that I just want to revel in it with the devs.

The idea that some version/aspect of the Lords that came before in previous FE games (yes it has been done before...heck that is pretty much FEH in a nutshell) is very compelling. Because it celebrates those wonderful experiences you may have had playing as them in previous games but it doesn't overpower the new Lord. I am glad that the My Units aren't customizable though (even thought the hair and eye combo is a bit much)...I love character creators as I often don't see characters that look like me in games(which is a different issue), but sometimes it is just fun to get lost in the story...the legacy of a game series.

That being said. I hope it isn't the Marth show for most of the game. It would be cool if you could choose a "patron Emblem" like a family saint or something and that be your main Emblem and that they are just using Marth in trailers cuz he is the poster child. I doubt it, but until the game is in my hand I'm hoping Lyn and I can wreck some fools from start to finish.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
I think we'll be able to equip rings on whoever we wish. But there will be certain stat bonuses for equipping certain rings on specific characters if their type matches or something

Pizzamorg

StarPoint wrote:

But, yeah, I am definitely going to be playing this with the Japanese dub. That English VA was kind of hard to listen to.

I genuinely had to finish the trailer with no sound, the VA was some of the worst I've ever heard. It was like the last thirty years of dub improvements had evaporated in a single three-minute clip.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

StarPoint

@Pizzamorg lol exactly. I'm not sure why Fire Emblem in particular has had such shaky English VA over the years. Three Houses' was tolerable but I still greatly preferred the Japanese dub.

It just doesn't feel like the proper amount of effort is being put into voice acting, even though I consider it to be one of the most important aspects of telling a good story.

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)

Magician

Ready?

Set

Go!

Divine Edition is available again on AmazonNA.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFCS1Y59

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

Fire Emblem Engage Divine Edition in stock on Amazon.

Share to save a life!

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-EmblemTM-Engage-Divine-Nintendo-S...

JaxonH

@Hayter
It's not gone.

I stumbled across it a few min ago on my own, like 45 min after their post, and got an order in. It's still up even now.

Already have 2 orders at Gamestop and 1 at Target. But it never hurts to have backups in case of order cancellations!

Tyranexx

The new story trailer definitely has me more interested in this game's world, though I'm still not sure how I feel about the Emblem Ring gimmick. Surely they aren't the true characters, but "echoes", "shades", or something to that effect? Alear in particular interests me as a character; I want to learn more about him and how he fits into all this.

That said, I should probably play at least one of the routes in Three Houses first before even dreaming about touching this game.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ElRoberico

@Tyranexx you don't have to. It's more that you'd need a potential passing knowledge of Byleth, depending on how they're in the game.

Currently playing: Marvel's Spider-Man

TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS

Tyranexx

@ElRoberico Right, I know there's no connection between the games (Outside of, presumably, DLC and a potential Emblem Ring). I'd just prefer to get the older Switch entry out of the way first. I've played every Western FE release outside of the Tellius games (pricey) up until Three Houses; I only just played Shadows of Valentia early last year.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

StarPoint

I still can’t decide if I should splurge for the Divine Edition. I absolutely loved Three Houses and I’m sure I’ll love this one too. But I can’t decide if I should grab a preorder when they become available next or just wait until the reviews start coming in

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)

JaxonH

@StarPoint
Well, considering it's going to be limited in all likelihood, I'd secure one ASAP.

Besides which, it's Fire Emblem. You already know it's gonna be fire. We don't need reviews for that. Even the worst FE games were still well worth a day one purchase. And this looks like it could be the best.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic