Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2 and XII - Now with 80% more FF VIII

Posts 181 to 200 of 1,768

Grumblevolcano

@Anti-Matter It may be that it's only download code for X-2 for outside Japan meanwhile Japan gets physical for both games. That's happened before with collections.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Sisilly_G

@Grumblevolcano : That has only ever happened twice, one being the Rock Man (Mega Man) X Anniversary Collection, where it was available as three separate SKUs, one for each of the two parts of the collection, and a "complete" set with only the first part on cartridge, and the second as a download code. I bought the two separate releases. Mega Man, Resident Evil, Bayonetta 2 and any other collection, from memory, have been released with only one game on the cartridge and the other(s) requiring a download. Bayonetta 1 is the only other example, however, and that was only ever available in extremely limited quantities via the Japan-only Non-Stop Climax Edition box set and was never made available separately.

Capcom could have just issued Mega Man X as ONE SKU with both collections on a single 16GB cartridge. Surely that would have been cheaper than issuing three different SKUs fighting for shelf space. Worse, still, is that the first Mega Man collection could have shipped with both parts on a single 4GB cartridge!!!! Ubisoft has released multiple games on a single cartridge before (where the cartridge spawns multiple icons, one for each game), including Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy and Hasbro Game Night (Monopoly/Risk/Trivial Pursuit Live), and they also have an upcoming double pack featuring Child of Light and another game. Capcom chooses to be contemptible and greedy.

It has been nearly TWO years since the release of the Switch, and judging by how ridiculously cheap 32GB flash drives are now (which are surely more expensive to produce than the ROM chips used in Switch cartridges) they should cost about the same as a 50GB Blu-ray disc by now, if not only slightly more (which is where the $10 Switch premium can be justified). Square Enix is also the only publisher to date to have released a retail game on a 32GB cartridge, so it is especially disappointing that they decide to cheap out now.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Dezzy

JaxonH wrote:

FFX-2 is kind of universally panned... I don’t think too many care about having that one on cart.

That's definitely an exaggeration. It's like when people say everyone hates FF13. Well no, not that many people actually hate it. It's just that judging it relative to the rest of the series, it's rather lacking.

People grade a series on its own curve, so to speak. Like with Star Wars. The reason so many people say they hate the prequels (and now the sequels too) is not really because they're especially awful. It's just that they're a lot worse than the originals.

Very few games in the Final Fantasy series are actually bad. FF13 is pretty good, FFX-2 is pretty good, FF13-2 is pretty good, Crisis Core is pretty good. But none of them are in the same league as FF6, FF7, FF9, FF10 (the 4 games that come at the top of nearly every audience poll)

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Agriculture

Anti-Matter wrote:

The Switch version comes with Clean artwork, NO warning about download requirement nor FF X-2 = digital code, so i assume FF X/X-2 switch = FULL 2 games in one cartridge.

While I do think that artwork is the best among various boxes, the Switch's red color scheme clashes with so much box art. I wish they had gone with a more neutral color like black, gray or white.

Agriculture

Manah

X-2 wasn't terrible, the only thing I had issues with was constantly having to go through three sections of my strategy guide at once and still missing out on completion percentage somehow because people writing a linear book can only do so much with that mess. Will be fun to give it another try.

JaxonH

@Dezzy
I don’t disagree with that. I like Final Fantasy XIII. And I don’t think FFX-2 is a bad game. But it’s a bad mainline FF game. Had it been a spin off like World of FF, it would probably be even more well received than that game was.

But it’s no exaggeration to say the game has been universally panned. It really has been. Almost anyone you ask who knows the series will tell you the same. It doesn’t mean it’s a downright horrible game but it does mean it’s been panned across the board. For obvious reasons mentioned previously.

Final Fantasy XIII games were initially panned, but recently have fallen into favor with more people, as many realize the games are actually fantastic. That never happened with X-2.

I’m not trying to discourage anyone from playing it. I think everyone should give it a try and come to their own conclusions. It’s all about the mindset you go into it with. If you play that game expecting a sequel on the level of Final Fantasy X, get ready for disappointment. If you play that game expecting a spinoff to Final Fantasy X, I think you’ll find there’s a lot to like.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kkslider5552000

JaxonH wrote:

It’s been panned as long as I can remember.

85 on Metacritic.

JaxonH wrote:

without the main character everyone grew to love.

I can confirm this is deeply untrue as Titus is one of the worst, most punchable protagonists I've ever had the misfortune to deal with (at least in something universally well regarded and story focused), and almost the entire reason I never had much interest in going back to X.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Tyranexx

JaxonH wrote:

I’m not trying to discourage anyone from playing it. I think everyone should give it a try and come to their own conclusions. It’s all about the mindset you go into it with. If you play that game expecting a sequel on the level of Final Fantasy X, get ready for disappointment. If you play that game expecting a spinoff to Final Fantasy X, I think you’ll find there’s a lot to like.

Hmm...Thanks! As a FF newbie, I'll keep this in mind. I think having a non-spoiler idea of how things will be is why I think I liked Bravely Default more than some.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Anti-Matter

@kkslider5552000
"I can confirm this is deeply untrue as Titus is one of the worst, most punchable protagonists I've ever had the misfortune to deal with (at least in something universally well regarded and story focused), and almost the entire reason I never had much interest in going back to X."

Titus ? 😛

Anti-Matter

kkslider5552000

Anti-Matter wrote:

@kkslider5552000
"I can confirm this is deeply untrue as Titus is one of the worst, most punchable protagonists I've ever had the misfortune to deal with (at least in something universally well regarded and story focused), and almost the entire reason I never had much interest in going back to X."

Titus ? 😛

The fact that he has the same name as the developer of Superman 64 sums it up.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Tyranexx

@ReaderRagfihs: Out of curiosity, have you checked to see if that website is available via Internet Archive's Wayback Machine? Probably not if it's really obscure, but you never know.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Dezzy

CurryPowderKeg79 wrote:

Does any one know if 7 and 9 will be remasters and have extra content? I'm asking because i'm trying to find print guides for these games and was wondering if the old guides would work. And also does anybody have an opinion on witch strategy guide is best for 9.

Definitely not extra content. They lost most of the original code and scene files for the PS1 games, so the most they can do is tweak various small issues.
The original strategy guides will be fine.

johncalmc

@CurryPowderKeg79 The Final Fantasy IX strategy guide was legendarily bad even at the time. It came out just as the Internet was starting to become ubiquitous, and at points in the strategy guide it legit just tells you to go look it up online. Like multiple times. I've got it at home somewhere. It's amazing.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Dezzy

@johncalmc

I forgot about that. It was that PlayOnline thing wasn't it? I'd thought that was FF10 but you're right it was FF9.

I had a cool guide for FF9 that came free with a magazine. Still got it at my parents house somewhere.

darkfenrir

Just use GameFAQs' guide/walkthough :v should still be good

darkfenrir

johncalmc

@Dezzy Yeah it was PlayOnline. The Internet was just starting to be a thing that everyone was getting involved in and they were trying to push their site. So the FFIX guide is hilariously awful as a result.

johncalmc

Twitter:

Ralizah

@JaxonH X-2 has never been popular, but it also hasn't inspired the same level of hatred and split the fan community the way XIII did. It's easily the most hated modern FF game by a large margin.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

Square deciding on XB1 backwards compatibility over PS4/XB1/Switch remasters for XIII was odd.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic