Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country (Series)

Posts 101 to 120 of 137

Buizel

@Clyde_Radcliffe Nope, but I definitely will give DKC3 a shot. However I'm hoping to complete DKC2 before that (want to give it a fair shot), and will probably take a break before diving into DKC3!

At least 2'8".

jump

@Slowdive If they are likable then they shouldn't come back as you're meant to hate the baddies ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Dogorilla

I like the Kremlins but I think Tropical Freeze's villains are as good if not better honestly.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Oswinner

@Slowdive great watch. Only watched half of it as I’m halfway thru DKC2 so don’t want any spoilers. The music in these games are terrific though.

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is up there with them too.

Oswinner

Oswinner

@Slowdive not quite going for full completion. Going to try and complete the levels first and go from there. Loved DKC1 and loving this game.

Playing concurrently with SMB3 and Impossible Lair so slowly making my way through all three.

Oswinner

Bolt_Strike

I wish the GBA soundtrack would get more love. I might be a bit biased since I grew up with the GBA games, but the SNES music sounds off and the GBA version is better, so it kind of irritates me that the remixes are based on the SNES versions. Especially Forest Frenzy. The SNES version's notes and tempo sound so... cacophonic? tone deaf? Not sure how to describe it, but the GBA version is a lot cleaner. I guess if you grew up with the SNES version it might be a bit jarring to hear the GBA version, but IDK how you can listen to both and find the SNES version better. Same with Tree Top Rock, the original version is too frantic and repetitive while the GBA version is a bit more laid back and fits the level better.

Also the GBA soundtrack of DKC3 is better overall (although I do like SNES Rockface Rumble better than GBA Rockface Rumble), but I mentioned that before.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

ophone

I don't have nostalgia for the three original games, I never owned an SNES.
I played all three of them recently on NSO, my favourite was the third, even if the music wasn't as good as in the first two and the Kong duo from the first game wasn't playable. I think the level design is more polished in the third game.
Said all of this, I clearly prefer Tropical Freeze over the original three, for me it's one of the best platformers I ever played. It may contain the word "freeze" but it has been a long time a game had made me sweat like this, I played it during winter time by the way. Its graphics, animations and soundtrack are stunning, especially on the savannah island, and the controls are tight. I actually like the mechanic of holding a button to hang on to ropes and vines.

Since January 2021 owner of my first real Nintendo "home" console.

Bolt_Strike

Something else I miss from DKC3 (and DKC2) that I just realized is missing from the modern DKC games: bonus games that integrate the level gimmicks. Returns and TF just revert to DKC1style bonus games where you're just collecting stuff in a generic room, DKC2 and 3 have challenges where you have to interact with/dodge the level gimmicks while either reaching the goal, collecting a certain amount of bananas, or defeating a certain amount of enemies. It made the bonus games feel more unique and part of the level instead of being generic rooms, and they could get really creative with them. I love, for example, the one in Krack Shot Kroc in DKC3, where the whole level you're being chased by an off screen enemy (presumably a Kroc as the level name implies) represented by a targeting reticule that constantly shoots fire balls at you, but then in one of the bonus games you control the fire balls and have to use them to defeat enemies. That was such a fun and unique bonus game.

Here's a video for those who haven't seen it (and yes, of course I'm using the GBA version, the GBA remakes need more love):

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

grizzgolf

Still no word on a new DK game? Saw rumors about one maybe at the end of 2021? Prob fake rumors though.

grizzgolf

jedgamesguy

@grizzgolf There’s tons of rumours but nothing I or @Slowdive would say are credible...

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

jedgamesguy

@Slowdive My bad, this is why you’re the resident king of rumours. The more games the merrier in my opinion.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Bolt_Strike

@Slowdive That's pretty much what I thought, EPD has multiple teams and I didn't think they would sacrifice Odyssey 2 for DK.

I am wondering what, if anything, they would do to build on the DK formula because I think it could use an update. Really DK has done little to evolve its gameplay since it started, 2 added the ability to throw your partner and Returns added climbing but those are hardly huge, groundbreaking additions and the formula is starting to feel stale after 5 games.

Bolt_Strike

CITRONtanker

I love the series, and I've played every game extensively. They're all incredibly made platformers, delivering a fun challenge and incredible presentation values.

Seriously, I'd argue Switch online is worth it to play the classic trilogy.

Buy Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Oswinner

Bibi wrote:

I love the series, and I've played every game extensively. They're all incredibly made platformers, delivering a fun challenge and incredible presentation values.

Seriously, I'd argue Switch online is worth it to play the classic trilogy.

Oh for sure. I’ve certainly got my money’s worth from Switch online.

Super Mario All-Stars (45 hours+)
Donkey Kong Country (20 hours)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (20 hours)

Not even played SMW, ALttP, Super Metroid, DKC3 yet. Near the end of SMB3 and DKC2. Into Clappers Cavern...

Oswinner

Bolt_Strike

@Slowdive That appears to be a contradiction, if Nintendo has put all of this effort into bringing DK back, wouldn't it be more likely to expect DK to appear at E3? Not saying he's wrong, but the logic doesn't add up.

Bolt_Strike

NintendoByNature

@Slowdive this will be unfortunate if that's the case. All the hype of a potential dk coming has me expectations through the roof!

NintendoByNature

Bolt_Strike

@Slowdive All of that sounds pretty believable actually. DK is a very iconic IP, I don't think Nintendo intended for its development history for the past 20 years to be as rocky as it has, so I can definitely buy that with factors such as Rare being purchased by Microsoft and Retro Studios not having a game release between TF and Prime 4 (which at this point whatever they were working on in between was most likely cancelled unfortunately) that they've made much more of an effort behind the scenes in trying to make DK relevant again.

The one thing I don't get is why it took until 2018 for them to bring back K. Rool. Why didn't the Kremlings show up in Retro's games in the first place? Why did it take until TF's port to decide to bring them back instead of creating random unmemorable enemies like the Tikis and Snomads? If it was because of the "don't borrow from other studios rule", shouldn't the request to add K. Rool as a bonus boss have been shot down instantly because of that instead of his appearance in Smash?

I'm not going to lose sleep over DK not showing at E3. I might not even play it unless it's something fresh and original, if EPD is just making Totally Not DKC6 without putting some kind of original spin on the gameplay, I'm not going to be interested. We have far too many 2D platformers right now that are just rehashy level pack sequels (I think there's definitely an issue with 2D platformers running out of ideas, but that's a topic for another thread). I am going to be concerned if other rumored games don't show up at E3, but DK is not one of them (I'm looking forward more to games like Metroid, Mario Kart, 3D Kirby or Odyssey 2, and doubly so if we get none of those announced at E3 this year)

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

kkslider5552000

To be fair, I do still think that's preferable to the modern approach of certain Mario games that try to limit new characters as much as humanly possible. I don't want the Kremlins to be like the Koopa Kids where they return once or twice and its neat but they then decide to have them return every game, all the time, instead of doing literally anything else ever.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Bolt_Strike

@Slowdive Smash isn't the part of this that doesn't make sense. It's why it took until the Switch port of TF to want to add K. Rool. Did they want him in Returns and Nintendo said no because of that rule? If so, why would they think things would turn out any differently with the TF port?

Bolt_Strike

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic