Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 3,681 to 3,700 of 69,964

MarcelRguez

@Don That's a cool rant and all, but it's tangentially related to the topic, at best.

And the virtual console games are fairly priced. The only problems VC has is the lack of cross-buy and shakey emulation in some minor areas. Beats tracking down the price you'd pay for a physical cartridge/disc of most of its titles.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

skywake

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Well the NX was announced even further back, in 6 days it will have been 18 months (17th March 2015) since the Nintendo/DeNA meeting. I think this thread came about because of the Direct drought.

Yes. And there were quite a few threads that were being created that were fairly similar. Some were being locked, others were disappearing from the front page. For example there's one very early thread asking whether the NX would be a portable or a home console. It's a one page thread with most people saying it's too early to say. Then me chiming in with this:

skywake wrote:

What is it? A portable
When will it launch? November 2016
What new technology? A single, flexible display that bends across the hinge (wild speculation!)
How powerful? Just under what the 360 was capable of
The controller? A second set of triggers and a second circle pad

Before the thread was locked and people were directed to the NX thread

I think the only reason this thread remained and others didn't was because this one had a few fairly lengthy arguments. It came at a point where people were starting to become convinced the NX was there to replace the Wii U. As some sort of PS4 clone. So when some people chimed in saying "we don't know, it could be a portable"? Long discussion followed

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

TuVictus

I'm still in the camp that it's a Wii U replacement first and foremost.

TuVictus

skywake

Operative wrote:

From what we've heard thus far I'd argue that:

• In terms of what it is it's more of a 3DS successor
  • In terms of how it'll be handled it's more of a Wii U successor
  • In terms of what it'll do it's a successor to both

Basically, it's a portable system first from what has been leaked/rumoured. There's no getting away from that. It has it's own screen, battery and it's using cartridges rather than disks. And so you can only really say it's following on from the 3DS based on the hardware itself.

But with that said, the 3DS is still getting some software support. The one big game we know the NX is getting was originally a Wii U game. It's only fair to assume that Wii U support is migrating to the NX before 3DS support is. So while it might eventually replace the 3DS it's the Wii U that's being impacted the most early on.

In the long run though it's probably going to be a bit of both. We'll get the big home console experiences and a portable package. We'll be able to play it on the road and in our living rooms. It kinda seems like it's going to exist in both spaces. Is that a hybrid device? I'm not sure. I'm not sure whether it'll exist as both entirely, a bit more of one than the other or parts of one and the other. I guess time will tell.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DefHalan

@DjLewe78 like a Micro-Console?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Therad

skywake wrote:

Operative wrote:

From what we've heard thus far I'd argue that:

• In terms of what it is it's more of a 3DS successor
  • In terms of how it'll be handled it's more of a Wii U successor
  • In terms of what it'll do it's a successor to both

Basically, it's a portable system first from what has been leaked/rumoured. There's no getting away from that. It has it's own screen, battery and it's using cartridges rather than disks. And so you can only really say it's following on from the 3DS based on the hardware itself.

But with that said, the 3DS is still getting some software support. The one big game we know the NX is getting was originally a Wii U game. It's only fair to assume that Wii U support is migrating to the NX before 3DS support is. So while it might eventually replace the 3DS it's the Wii U that's being impacted the most early on.

In the long run though it's probably going to be a bit of both. We'll get the big home console experiences and a portable package. We'll be able to play it on the road and in our living rooms. It kinda seems like it's going to exist in both spaces. Is that a hybrid device? I'm not sure. I'm not sure whether it'll exist as both entirely, a bit more of one than the other or parts of one and the other. I guess time will tell.

My biggest concern is if the detachable WiiMotes are correct. That might mean that the user base gets split into two camps because of the different controller options, even though they are technically the same. I.e the same mismatch Win 8 managed to introduce.

And I want a home console variant of NX. Otherwise I am not sure I will buy it. I do not want another portable machine, smartphones have plugged that niche for me.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Therad

DefHalan wrote:

@DjLewe78 like a Micro-Console?

If they do release a home version of NX, you will get your micro console. Except there won't be a bigger one.

Therad

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo NX to Have an Optional Subscription Based Model, Hardware is Free, $10 Per Month

Another day and another Nintendo NX rumor has surfaced. The latest leak claims that Nintendo NX will offer a subscription based model to its users.

It is an optional model that will allow gamers to play all Nintendo games for $10 a month. Subscribers will be offered NX hardware for free. Meanwhile, those who prefer paying full price upfront for the console and buy cartridges are free to do that.

The subscription model is not very economical and rates may rise over time. $10 a month adds up to $120 a year and $240 for two years. However, offering free hardware (leasing) to subscribers will surely encourage gamers to sign up for Nintendo’s subscription based service.

The system is similar to smartphone leasing.

It is hard to imagine third parties being on-board with the idea for $10 per month model for all games but since it is Nintendo’s own system, expect all Nintendo games to be part it at least.

The subscription service will probably have small indie developers as third party in the beginning. If the system turns out to be a success, major publishers and developers may come on-board.

Untitled

http://segmentnext.com/2016/09/12/nintendo-nx-optional-subscr...

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Therad

Not that I think they would do a subscription model, but it would make some sort of sense. I am surprised MS and Sony hasn't tried it yet, since that is a proven way to get people to part with money they don't have and they both already have the subscription model already.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

gcunit

Would make an interesting experiment.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

DjLewe78

@DefHalan

Errrrrr I know I said micro console early early on but I don't think thats all. Nintendo starting to develop for phones, develop movies, a new Netflix Zelda series (I can recall, correct me if that's BS). They need a way to bring all that together and play premium games so I think although it's a dedicated gaming console (on the go) maybe at home it's a lot more entertainment based.

It's all confusing but you what, I like a surprise, and boy are we owed one

1 up !

SLIGEACH_EIRE

I wouldn't be a fan myself but it works for phones so why not. If they did do it, I could see it being trialled in Japan first.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

DjLewe78

@SLIGEACH_EIRE

How to bring in more adult gamers? Offer them finance! This is all well and good but wouldn't normal game stores worldwide have to then set up finance departments? If thats not the case then that leaves existing mobile phone stores already offering similar packages with tablets/phones, which then leads on to weather or not NX is a 4g tablet/phone?

I think this is plausible and as an old boy I would be up for it, if your not, go to the shop and buy one, options are great

Edited on by DjLewe78

1 up !

Octane

What happens if you stop paying? Will the system become unplayable? Will Nintendo ninjas raid your house during the night and take the system back? I get the subscription part, but the free hardware is not something I'd expect. I assume it would involve contracts and all of that, but how long will you need to pay for your system?

Octane

Moshugan

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Well, that's certainly novel! $10 per month would be appealing to many, but hardware+games for that price would leave Nintendo with little to no profits I think. Two years with that is less than what just a console usually costs.

But what makes https://twitter.com/GamingBrown a trustworthy source anyway?

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

SLIGEACH_EIRE

It could be a good idea but the pricing structure as is wouldn't be viable I think.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic