Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 9,801 to 9,820 of 12,088

Snatcher

Random encounters are the worst thing that games could have came out with, like the worst thing they could have came up with.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

OldManHermit

@Snatcher I'm in complete agreement. It's mainly why Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG remain my all time fav RPGs. You can actually see the enemies on the map, and avoid them,(in most cases), if you so choose.

OldManHermit

Anti-Matter

@Snatcher
There are Pro and Con from random encounter and real encounter.

Random encounter
Pro = You can easily ignore the random battle when there is No Encounter ability.
Con = Enemies that appeared from nowhere looked awkward for 3D JRPG games.

Real encounter
Pro = You can avoid the battles as you can see the enemies clearly.
Con = You cannot have free enemies zone even you try to escape from them.

Anti-Matter

I-U

I'm currently playing through Tri Force Heroes solo, and haven't had too many issues with the experience. I believe I'm six dungeons/stages away from beating the game. It's not the best, and it's not the worst. It does certainly feel like it would have been better at times playing co-op, which does feel more intended in the game's design than a similarly marketed game like Federation Force. I do think if the game allowed me to pick what the Doppels would wear going into a dungeon, instead of defaulting to the Hero's Tunic, that would've in itself made the game a much better single player experience. Overall, my mindset and approach to the game has been like with Pikmin 3, knowing I'm going to have to do plenty of management between 3 characters, and it has not steered me wrong.

I don't know if I'm quite there with the game to recommend Tri Force Heroes as a single player experience, but I would certainly for a group. With Federation Force, I'm the opposite. I would recommend that more as a single player game than as one to experience in multiplayer. It's a much better designed game for the solo experience in comparison.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Snatcher

@Anti-Matter I just can't see None random encounters having any real cons. Random is just cons from every which way, it could take you forever to get to one place or the other just because of this.

But you could argue "But then you would be under leveled if you skipped all the of enemy's, No I wont, because there are times were I just can't fight at the moment, and I will come back and grind later.

Random gets even worse when you remember not every JRPG had a run feature, (Unless I missed them) so you were forced to fight, its a really poorly thought out mechanic, and it wouldn't be if they made the rate smaller, but by it being random, you can get like three fights in a row.

@OldManHermit This is why I love when you can see them on the map, sure they run to you if your spotted (BTW I haven't played mario RPG or trigger), But for the most part you were able to get away in a lot of those cases.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Matt_Barber

Random encounters probably don't have much of a place in modern story-driven RPGs, but they were necessitated in the past by the severe storage limitations of early hardware, particularly in the early 80s.

Then again, Rogue-likes are basically nothing but a succession or random encounters. It really depends on what kind of game the creators are intending.

Matt_Barber

Ralizah

For the longest time, I didn't mind and even kind of preferred random encounters in RPGs. But nowadays... yeah, I'm kinda over them. Pretty much every major RPG property has transitioned away from them as well.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Pizzamorg

Ubisoft basically invented the modern open world template and pretty much every open world game rifs on the foundation Ubisoft created. This is just the reality of it.

BOTW has a pretty insane level of detail and polish, it has a lot of stuff going for it that makes it a really enjoyable game, even if I don't agree with every decision. What it does also have is a lot of empty space, very minimal activities in it's open world which are repeated often, a mostly static and unchanging map and a lot of really uninspired side content to bulk out the game.

When reviewing a title, you take the good with the bad, take a step back and then assess the product as a whole. But it seems often when people talk about BOTW, there is always this heavily weighted positive bias where people scoot around the rough edges, so they can throw a spotlight on things like it's incredible psychics engine.

This is a luxury something like say an Ubisoft open world game is not afforded, with the popular narrative around those games being that we are all tired of them, with people focusing in on any bad creative choice, or poor world design and then disregarding absolutely everything else. Had BOTW remained unchanged, but been an Assassin's Creed game published by Ubisoft, I do not believe we would have been kind to it.

Was say Valhalla way too damn long and fully of scuzzy MTX? For sure, but we're clowning if we're going to call BOTW a 'genre defining evolution of the open world' but then just write off Valhalla as another repetitive Ubisoft game.

BOTW simply does not get the same scrutiny, and maybe that is because Nintendo don't do a lot of these sorts of games or what, but I will forever be so frustrated by the heavily weighted bias for that game.

And I think what makes it worse is that I actually like BOTW and despite popular belief here, I am not here to ruin anyone's fun, but I just see so many circle jerks for BOTW and it is like... that is your opinion man, but the hyperbole around this game is just crazy.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Buizel

Ralizah wrote:

Unpopular opinion: I think GF probably made the right choice not pushing the Switch visually with Legends: Arceus. While some truly talented developers can push the system with high-end visuals while also preserving performance and image quality (SMO, BotW, Monster Hunter Rise, etc.), more often than not, the really demanding games on the system usually end up coming with pretty severe drawbacks to performance and image quality, especially when played in handheld mode (SMT V, XC2, and MHS2 all come to mind for various reasons).

It might not be the prettiest game in the world, but Legends: Arceus is very stable most of the time and runs at native resolution both docked and undocked, which allows for a pleasantly sharp image. And I think that's a better end result than GF going for more advanced visual effects and ending up with something blurry and/or unstable as a result.

Like, I just played the game on a 4KTV, and it actually looked... surprisingly good. That doesn't happen with a lot of Switch games, and I'm sure a big part of that is the game going for a higher resolution and stylized visuals over a more ambitious presentation that devolves into an ugly, low-res mess in practice. I'd much rather new games on the system pull back on the graphics a bit and work within the limitations of the hardware as much as possible.

Absolutely agree. The performance is great - not once did I notice it dropping below 30fps (except for animations in the distance...). And it actually looks pretty nice in handheld mode.

I also think the strong character and Pokemon models redeem the lacklustre environments. My main focus when exploring is on the Pokemon anyway.

Snatcher wrote:

Random encounters are the worst thing that games could have came out with, like the worst thing they could have came up with.

Can't agree with this tbh. Generally when I play an RPG with random encounters, I like the battle system of said RPG so I don't have much issue having a random encounter (and I've not yet found an RPG where I find the encounter rate to be too high). I guess my main issue with random encounters is when you're overleveled so would be getting miniscule amounts of experience from the battle.

That said, in most cases I think it's preferable to have encounters visible on screen, so I wouldn't say I "miss" random encounters. I'm just less bothered by them than most.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Snatcher

@Buizel Fair. I have played many RPG's with it, my first RPG's and such after had it.

I guess thats why I just, kinda started to dislike it? idk, it just got in the way for me a lot of the time with a lot of thing.

But hey if it doesn't bother you, It just makes the game all the better.

Ralizah

@Pizzamorg I've seen more scrutiny of BotW than any other game in recent memory. Over the years, it has been picked apart every which way, with angry detractors eager to trumpet its perceived flaws every time the game is talked about online. It's absolutely not a gaming sacred cow in the same way as a number of other releases where people get angry at you for picking them apart. Have you seen how people react when you criticize something like The Witcher 3 on a lot of gaming sites?

Now, see, here's the problem with your premise: BotW COULDN'T HAVE BEEN an Assassin's Creed game from Ubisoft, so your (inherently unfalsifiable) claim that people would have been harsher on it if it had been an Assassin's Creed game becomes meaningless. The two games aren't similar enough in their construction. It's like saying: "If Knack was called Super Mario Odyssey, it'd have been praised as a masterpiece."

And that does, sorry, tie into BotW being an evolution of the open world genre in a way that other modern open world titles simply aren't. I wouldn't necessarily call it genre-defining, since I think its priorities are different from other open world games. As I said before, BotW is an almost completely re-contextualized approach to modern open world game design, with a respect for and consideration of player agency at the center of the experience. There's nothing else like it out there in the industry.

@Buizel There are definitely framerate dips below 30 in PLA (especially docked), but they're the sort of dips you'd expect from a game on Switch. Comparing the performance to the two really good monster collecting games released on Switch last year, it's neither the often stuttery rollercoaster ride that Monster Hunter Stories 2 was nor the more stable but consistently sub-30 fps of something like Shin Megami Tensei V. Those games felt like they were cramming ambitious experiences onto Switch that would have benefitted from more powerful hardware. PLA feels like a perfect fit for Switch, though. I've seen the game emulated on PC, and it just doesn't really... look like a much better experience.

Just kinda wish more developers did this. I don't need SMT, MH Stories, Xenoblade, etc. to push the envelope. I just want something that's fun, runs smooth, and looks good as a hybrid title.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

jump

@Ralizah In the name of stience I decided to do a test. I entered in google and searched for overrated Witcher 3, then overrated Skyrim and lastly overrated Breath Of The Wild to see how many results came up. In 3rd place was Witcher 3 with "About 174,000 results", 2nd was Skyrim with "About 429,000 results" and finally the winner was Breath of the Wild with "About 586,000 results".

So I conclude people call BOTW overrated more than other open world games which are often called the game best ever.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Fizza

jump wrote:

So I conclude people call BOTW overrated more than other open world games which are often called the game best ever.

I feel like people will naturally call the new benchmark for a genre/series 'overrated' simply because it's the first of it's kind.

The original Zelda on the NES was a groundbreaking title that more or less kickstarted the free roam adventure game. It is also far and away one of the worst games I've ever played with no sense of where on earth to go or what on earth to do unless you have a guide clutched to you as if it were the bible. It's a game I would absolutely call 'overrated'.

Now, I may not have actually played it yet, but BOTW seems from an outsider's perspective (aka me) far and away superior to the original Zelda whilst still retaining the whole 'free roam adventure' aspect but on a much grander scale. However, even though it's only 5 years old whereas the og Zelda is over 30, it seems to be far more critically analysed comparatively. This could probably just be the climate that we're in nowadays, where modern games are far more bashed on than the older games due to being compared to similar games that came out at a similar time (Horizon Zero Dawn is a perfect example of this).

To summarise, I don't think whether a game is overrated or underrated will greatly affect the broad consensus on it. If a game is known to be good or bad, the public perception will almost always stay that way for the rest of the game's existence.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Snatcher

God, I'm going to get @ hard for this one.

Soooo I was looking at switch sports, and we all know the fact that they aren't really talking about the mii's let alone acting like there not there, sucks.

But! I...Kinda...Sorta....Maybe...Think...there not that bad?? Don't get me wrong, it sucks there not making a bigger deal out of the mii's. But there in the game, and at the same time we have these new guys, They sorta look like tho Xbox 360 avatars, but... well.. better?

And You can boot up the beta, can't play it, but boot it up, they the characters actually look really cool! I really do like there design, and I kinda hope they can live along side mii's, and have there own name and all. And there probably not going to replace the miis ever, (Thank goodness) and again, I don't want them to replace miis, not at all (Maybe a little tiny very tiny bit, so small a microscope can't see it), I want the miis to kinda be along side them as I said.

I know I'm just kinda going on here, but till I can see them in action, I can't be to sure if they will even touch the OG sports game, with mii's and all. And a name, I really think these little guys need a name. Please don't wreck me ):

Edited on by Snatcher

Anti-Matter

@Snatcher
You can try other similar games like Wii Sports on XBOX 360 such as Kinect Sports 1 / 2, Big League Sports, Kinect Adventures, Deca Sports Freedom, etc. With Mii or not, doesn't really matter for me as long i can use custom avatar to represent myself. I already have the games but not having the machine yet.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Dyna-Z

The Big 3 (Nintendo Sony & Microsoft) should release their big new consoles earlier in the year (Feb, Mar, Apr), instead of the holiday season (Oct, Nov, Dec).

Pronouns: she/her/he/him

Currently "cruising" through: Sonic Adventure

Willing to discuss because of completion (not 100%): Metroid Dread, BOTW and TOTK, Legends Arceus, Pokemon S/V, Zayzoo: An Earth Adventure

Switch Friend Code: SW-3879-2743-2877 | My Nintendo: Ezekiel | Twitter:

Losermagnet

Sorry to @jump and those involved in my gladitorial shenanigans the other day. I don't normally try to derail a thread, but we got into a serious thing, and then I didn't know how to end it.

@NintendoByNature I've upgraded our match to a TLC match, so while you may have the 3D - jump and I have the conchairto! Eeeeeeuuuuugh what a rush.

@bimmy-lee it may be breaking kayfabe but I think they seem pretty tasty too. Fried up on a bed of rice. I've got a source on the dark web that says that polka dot part comes off like a hat so you may be able to spare their lives even.

Unpopular opinion? Cloud is a horrible protagonist. Especially in the remake. He's such a moody baby. Here's how he handles everything in the remake:

Random guy: "hey Cloud, how about we do something fun?"
Cloud: no, I dont wanna [pouts, crosses arms, puts on headphones and listens to Slipknot]

Yuffie is such a better character and the Intermission DLC really makes how boring Cloud is noticeable. But he was so cool when I was 14!

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

AstralRedStar705

BOTW2: Look I just wanna say that this game has me simultaneously excited and worried. It's taking them MORE than 5 years for a SEQUEL (not a brand new zelda) which is already a ludicrous amount of time to develop a game as it is. Let's just say I'm expecting to see a lot of new stuff in this game.

I play lots of Nintendo games, and Playstation games too. Mostly platformers, and rpg's. Also love playing multiplayer games with my friends!
Discord:AstralRedStar705#3469
If you want my friend code add me on Discord first then ask for it please, and thank you!

jump

@AstralRedStar705 Not really as 3-5 years is the norm for making the avergae modern AAA game, let alone one with a massive map like BOTW.

@Losermagnet No worries but I disagee, our tag finisher should the The Doomsday Device!

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic