Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 8,901 to 8,920 of 12,088

AlliMeadow

I just watched GameXplain's retro review of Metroid: Other M, and was reminded of something that's been bugging me for many years.

I have no need or desire to defend the game. I've only played it for about 2 hours before I got bored and haven't returned to it since. I don't really feel the need to defend Samus' character changes either, but what I am really sick of are people claiming that Samus having a PTSD induced panic attack when facing Ridley is illogical.

PTSD will, more often than not, manifest itself many years after the traumatic incident that caused it. People with PTSD might be healthy for several years after the traumatic event, and experience new traumatic events, without getting sick. Then one day something happens to trigger the illness. It might be something related to the original trauma, but it might also be something much more mundane. In Samus' case it might have been the death of the Metroid that imprinted on her. Samus' original trauma was the death of her parents by the hands of Ridley, the triggering trauma might have been the death of the Metroid. It even makes sense that someone who couldn't save her parents from being killed would have an extreme reaction to her own "child" saving her.

Great story telling shouldn't have to rely on people understanding PTSD. Metroid M's story telling seem to be bad based on everything I've read about it. Samus' panic attack might also be a case of bad story telling. With that being said, I'm kinda sick of people with absolutely no knowledge or understanding of a topic claiming A or B is illogical.

This goes beyond gaming too. If you're gonna claim something about a topic, make sure you've at least done the most basic of research. Spreading misinformation is never a good thing, even with something as trivial as video games.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

judaspete

@AlliMeadow I haven't played Other M, but have similar feelings about The Last Jedi. People call it a character assassination of Luke, but I genuinely think it's his best arc in the whole saga. It shows that even the greatest of us can make mistakes, get consumed by regret, shut down, suffer depression and PTSD. But no matter how far you fall, it's never too late to find hope again. The fact this was done with a beloved character you wouldn't expect only made the message more powerful.
I would go on about how it doesn't actually betray the man we saw in the original trilogy, but that could be its own thread, and I'm already kind of off topic here.

judaspete

My Nintendo: judaspete | Nintendo Network ID: judaspete

kkslider5552000

I feel confident in saying, whatever your thoughts on it, the Last Jedi is better written than Other M. Because that's a very low bar to clear.

The problem with the ptsd theory is that Other M is absolutely hack-tastic writing, so its impossible for me to take that theory seriously when the story doesn't understand the basics of writing in any visual medium (or any medium for that matter), nor understands the most basic appeal of the series it is in. It's a lazy explanation for a story that blatantly just did not think very hard about if what it was doing actually made sense. I'm fine with people liking the game's story, but I'd prefer they not make giant leaps in logic to try to justify it. Or at least not pretend the story is doing what its not actually doing. Just enjoy the story at face value, that's fine.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

AlliMeadow

@kkslider5552000 absolutely agree!

My issue isn’t whether or not the PTSD theory was intended by the writers, but that arguing against it without having any knowledge about PTSD is just ignorant.

It’s enough to point out that nothing in the story indicates PTSD beyond the panic attack. It might have been the writers’ intentions, but they obviously failed at getting their story across if that was their intention.

When push comes to shove it really doesn’t matter what a writer intended if they fail to get their point across.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

Snatcher

@VoidofLight People just want a reason to get a cheap game.

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

kkslider5552000

I think a big issue on top of that is that Other M LOVES explaining and yet conveniently now...it doesn't. If you're gonna do the PTSD thing or Samus' past among other things, and your story is narration and explanation and talk heavy etc, than actually, seriously bring it up in some way, by that point.

Zuljaras

So the support (with new characters) for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is finally almost here?

I am one of the few people that do not like those series

HotGoomba

Unpopular opinion: Sonic has always sucked. Kinda.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

HotGoomba

@Snatcher Well, I don't actually mean that, but I think that Sonic is overrated, with games either ageing poorly or being bad in the first place.

The only great Sonic games are the originals, the ones that bank on nostalgia, the ones that were made by anyone but Sega, and Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

his shows are pretty good tho.

Snatcher

@HotGoomba The shows are always good some how.

Snatcher

I have finally figured out how to make small words, later!

kkslider5552000

Every major Goodfeel game seems to be worse than the last one.

Wario Land: Shake It! was awesome, Epic Yarn was very good, Wooly World was good, and by a lot of accounts Crafted World is worse than Wooly World.

I do wish I liked Wooly World more than I did. I adore Yoshi's Island and I felt a Yoshi game after Epic Yarn was perfect and it looks amazing. But I dunno, those levels feel like they just dragged on for ages if you bother exploring and collecting the items, and they somehow feel less worth exploring than Island ever did despite some decent rewards for doing so.

Ralizah

Yeah, I think I like Woolly World more than the SNES game as well. Although both are very good. The only two Yoshi games worth returning to, IMO.

Hated Kirby's Epic Yarn though. Something about that game bored me to tears.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

HotGoomba

@kkslider5552000 I think all of Good-Feels games are great, except Crafted World, hopefully their next Nintendo game is, well, good.

VoidofLight

Never really enjoyed the Yoshi series. The only thing I could say about Crafted World was that the music for the game was atrocious.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Snatcher

Ok, where is it, the one that says Metroid dread is complete ass, Oh its comin, just wait.

VoidofLight

@Snatcher Metroid dread is complete a-

Nah, I never played metroid, and I'm not going to be able to get it when it comes out. However, I'll probably pick up Dread at some point and give the series a go. Had fun with Hollowknight, so I know this genera of game is pretty great.

kkslider5552000

NeonPizza wrote:

Mega Man 3. I'm a big fan of MM, but 3 just never really clicked with me...I dont hate it, but it's my 2nd least favorite(6 being the worst) and nearly tied with MM5(B-L-A-N-D) in the NES series.

What i hate about MM3 >

Dreary darker Vibe and atmosphere compared to MM2.
Glitchy
Lots of weird slowdown
crappy Wily Castle bosses
The menu screen wasn't even complete for the NA Release
No Intro
Hard Man? Seriously!?
Music was a step down compared to MM2's
This game failed to capture the wonder & magic of MM2 and even MM1 imo.

On the plus side, the slide addition was great, RUSH, the controls were speedier and more responsive, including the ladder climbing andddd most importantly, it introduced Snake Man.

I love Megaman 3 but...enough of that is correct. Except the music, I can't agree with that. Megaman 3's music is exactly as catchy as 2's as a whole (even if none of them on their own are MM2 WIly Castle or Bubbleman level earworms), but is also slightly weirder, which I think worked out wonderfully.

I do agree MM6 is bottom tier NES Megaman though. I never got the appeal of the Rush transformation, and the music is not memorable at allllllll, which is pretty inexcusable.

VoidofLight

@Link-Hero I don't really have the means to get ahold of the others, except for probably the Metroid game that they made for the 3Ds. I heard that Dread will have a recap for those who haven't played Fusion, so it'll be alright for newcomers, while not being as impactful.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic