Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 8,921 to 8,940 of 12,088

Snatcher

@VoidofLight You really need to give it a go, I played it for the first time this year, I was missing out.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

Anti-Matter

From my gameplay impression so far...

My Universe: School Teacher is way more fun to play than BOTW / Xenoblade 2.

Anti-Matter

Snatcher

Damn it here we go again.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

I’m very much alive!

VoidofLight

@Snatcher Yep.. if I could post a gif, I'd know what gif I'd be posting right now.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Snatcher

@VoidofLight 100% would right now.

I’m very much alive!

jedgamesguy

I don't like Kingdom Hearts' gameplay all that much. It's really clunky especially in the first nine games, and only with III does it feel like they actually realised how to make half decent combat.

is this even unpopular?

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Snatcher

@TheJGG Idk if it is are not, as i'm pretty split on it, I hated the GBA game tho, and it really doesn't help that they keep changing combat in some way in every single game, tho I loved it in 2.

I’m very much alive!

Maximumbeans

Okay, this one might strike people as unpopular, or it might not who knows, AND it comes because I'm heavily biased towards the 3DS, but here goes:
Nintendo should have never merged their handheld and home console efforts into the Switch. I love the console and it's a great piece of kit but I feel that they should have stayed in separate lanes.

Edited on by Maximumbeans

Hang on to your youthful enthusiasms - you'll be able to use them better when you're older.

3DS Friend Code: 0490-8421-1170

anynamereally

Maximumbeans wrote:

Nintendo should have never merged their handheld and home console efforts into the Switch. I love the console and it's a great piece of kit but I feel that they should have stayed in separate lanes.

I actually agree with that.
It really doesn't seem like that strategy of combining handheld and home console development workforces is doing any difference to Nintendo output. Like, really.
So on the next generation, if it even possible now after Switch success, I'd rather see them going the old ways, i.e. home consoles is for big products with ~$60 pricing. And then the handheld market is for smaller/experimental games with $10-40 pricing.

Edited on by anynamereally

anynamereally

Maximumbeans

anynamereally wrote:

I actually agree with that.
It really doesn't seem like that strategy of combining handheld and home console development workforces is doing any difference to Nintendo output. Like, really.
So on the next generation, if it even possible now after Switch success, I'd rather see them going the old ways, i.e. home consoles is for big products with ~$60 pricing. And then the handheld market is for smaller/experimental games with $10-40 pricing.

Precisely. And with the enthusiasm around the 3DS and handhelds in general still very high, it's clear the consumer base isn't entirely ready to see both merged for good. I think it would benefit devs to not have to work around the idea of docked vs. undocked as well.

Hang on to your youthful enthusiasms - you'll be able to use them better when you're older.

Varkster

I bought the Castlevania collection having never really played any Castlevania games through and out of the first trilogy I enjoyed Simon's Quest the most...

Not only did it introduce the first sparks of Metroidvania in the series but there's a lot of little secrets and you have a stronger sense of adventure than in other games, imo. I think they could have designed more and better boss fights as well as ditched the good/normal/bad ending feature, but the game was a lot more ambitious than 1 and 3.

One thing I definitely don't like about all three games is the movement. The momentum for jumping sideways and getting hit by enemies which come out of corners of the screen as soon as you jump has made me very frustrated. I know these are old games, I'm just surprised that people hold them as close to heart as the original Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda and Mario. Maybe I'm not seeing something others are?

Edited on by Varkster

Varkster

dmcc0

@anynamereally @Maximumbeans At this point I almost consider Switch to be a dockable handheld rather than a 'proper' home console. Nintendo haven't really tried to out-spec the competition for a long time and I think they'd struggle going up against Sony or MS with a dedicated home console now. They haven't really had a hugely successful home console since SNES. The exception to that is the Wii, where it captured the casual market like no other console had done before. Mobile games (and I guess Switch to a degree) will have taken a fair bit of that market so would be difficult to repeat that now.
Nintendo exclusives sell systems, but people are already complaining about the lack of new 1st party output from Nintendo - how much worse would that be it they were developing for a separate handheld and home console.

dmcc0

anynamereally

Maximumbeans wrote:

Precisely. And with the enthusiasm around the 3DS and handhelds in general still very high, it's clear the consumer base isn't entirely ready to see both merged for good. I think it would benefit devs to not have to work around the idea of docked vs. undocked as well.

Yeah, the portability factor of 3DS.
Speaking of which. What I also think could be an unpopular opinion here is that I don't consider Switch library as a library of "handheld games". The majority of these games were not designed to be portable, they're just... regular console games... you know, games that supposed to be played in a living room, not on the go. So the portability of those games is just a side effect of the hardware that runs them.

What I want from handheld device is the possibility for developers to create concise experiences but tightly packed with content, games that could be played during short sessions, not focused on graphics and photorealism. Games specifically created for a player who don't have lots of time for full console games.

anynamereally

anynamereally

dmcc0 wrote:

@anynamereally @Maximumbeans At this point I almost consider Switch to be a dockable handheld rather than a 'proper' home console.

Funny that you pointed that out, because to me it sounds like the hybrid side of the Switch is what brings it down at the end of the day - it's not a handheld in its fullest because of the size/form factor and it's not a good place to develop and launch 'true handheld' games (market is overcrowded with big products and lots of straight up trash titles), and at the same time it's not a 'proper' home console because it cannot run most of AAA games or can run them but at insufferable framerate and/or with lots of visual sacrifices.

anynamereally

Maximumbeans

dmcc0 wrote:

Nintendo exclusives sell systems, but people are already complaining about the lack of new 1st party output from Nintendo - how much worse would that be it they were developing for a separate handheld and home console.

You make great points in your post, I'm not trying to cut them out but I just wanted to quote this bit because I find it especially good to discuss.

I wonder if, actually, they're struggling because they now have to funnel everything into the one console. I mean, they only ever had to worry about getting Pokemon onto the handhelds, historically, and only let a smattering of spin-offs get to the home consoles.
I could be talking nonsense but I think they would be able to better handle their first-party releases if they were able to divert them between dedicated handheld and dedicated home set-up like they used to. But I'm literally nobody when it comes to this kind of business-level thinking so maybe somebody can school me on that.

anynamereally

Don't forget that churning out big AAA/AA games at a constant rate is much harder than throwing a remodeled low-poly pokemon game on the handheld market once a year. Nintendo struggled with that on Wii U with transition to HD graphics, and they still seem to struggle with it today judging by their output in the last 2-3 years.

anynamereally

dmcc0

@Varkster I'd argue that all three have got equally consistent, high quality first party output, just with different audiences - Sony's games in particular are extremely well regarded. Xbox maybe not quite so much at the moment, but with the Zenimax acquisition I expect them to be regularly churning out consistently high quality games in the not too distant future. The lack of 3rd party support means Nintendo will likely never be able to compete with the big 2 with box-with-controller type home console any time soon and that's largely down to the lower spec. I guess they know that already, which is why they're not trying to compete with them, instead offering something different.

I think gaming in general has become more mainstream over the years and a lot of that is down to the Wii. People that had never even played games before - never mind on a Nintendo system - were buying a Wii and, like you said, I think were seeing that with Switch too. I doubt Switch would've sold anywhere near the numbers it has if it wasn't for the unique form factor and had just been a box-with-a-controller.

dmcc0

Player_One

Anti-Matter wrote:

I’ve been reading them all and I don’t think nothing can beat this. Clearly a person that like free smartphone games

Player_One

Anti-Matter

@Player_One
I got My Universe: School Teacher PS4 version last Tuesday.
Untitled
And right now i'm playing this game, already reached level 23, year 2, quarter 2, month 4.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Pizzamorg

Player_One wrote:

Anti-Matter wrote:

I’ve been reading them all and I don’t think nothing can beat this. Clearly a person that like free smartphone games

Funny how the mods haven’t stepped in, given the obvious troll bait. The person can like what they want, but they clearly used BOTW and Xenoblade to generate a reaction because otherwise there is no correlation between the titles.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic