Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,561 to 7,580 of 12,088

jump

@Matt_Barber it’s the same guy but his contribution to film and games are vastly different making the comparison of the George Lucas games and George Lucas movies meaningless.

Steven Spielberg directly worked on video games a few times but it doesn’t make his games the equivalent of his films. Like Boom Box, a decent but shovelware-ish Wii game is not the Jaws or Schindler's List of games.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rexenoboy

Time for my unpopular opinion:
Nintendo does the right thing spacing their games out as much as they do. That way they don't oversaturate the market and it always remains a big deal when a new main instalment from their popular franchises arrives. It also gives them time to be creative and avoid the franchises becoming stale.

Treasure Acquired

Matt_Barber

@jump I wouldn't expect people to make similar contributions as they're very different media. For what it's worth, most of the video games people who've tried to make films have either been terrible at it or taken a back seat while those with more relevant skills got on with the job.

So far as Spielberg goes, there are couple of games that have very strong parallels with his filmmaking though in the shape of The Dig - a LucasArts point-and-cluck adventure where he wrote the story, and Medal of Honor which is basically the opening montage from Saving Private Ryan turned into a game.

Sure, not all his games have turned out so well, but he's also made some pretty bad films alongside all the classics. I'd much sooner spend an afternoon playing Boom Blox than watch Hook again, that's for sure.

Matt_Barber

porto

Unpopular Opinion:

I like the NSMB series. It’s not original, but it’s not supposed to be. It’s just some fun platforming. Nothing more, nothing less.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Xyphon22

I think this is fairly unpopular based on what I've heard about the game, but I just finished up Night in the Woods, and all I can say is I'm sure glad I got it as part of that BLM io.com games bundle and didn't spend $20 on that. I guess I can't say it was the worst game I've ever played since I actually stuck it out to the end, but it was pretty bad. I'm sure part of it is that I don't relate to any of the characters, and if you do it is probably better, but I didn't relate to Celeste at all either and still thought that was a great game. Especially at the end of the game, every direction the game ended up going I thought was the wrong one and would have chosen something different. The only two redeeming qualities I can think of are its good portrayal of the church and the pastor and Gregg's crazy noodle arms.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

NEStalgia

@jump Like Boom Box, a decent but shovelware-ish Wii game is not the Jaws or Schindler's List of games.

Sure it is. Like Jaws, Boom Blox bites.

NEStalgia

porto

@Xyphon22 I've never played A Night In The Woods. It's on Switch IIRC so maybe I'll give it a go and see what I think about it.

porto

Xyphon22

@App Yes, it is. And it's been on sale for like 40% off a couple of times and I seriously thought about buying it then. Glad I didn't. If you like VNs (there's a lot less actual gameplay than I thought there would be, which is part of my issue with it) and struggle with the things the characters do I'm sure it's fine, but like I said with Celeste, a great game should draw you in even if those things aren't true, and this one is not a great game in my opinion.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

SwitchVogel

Here's mine: Ocarina of Time is the worst 3D Zelda. I would never deny that OoT had a tremendous effect on the game industry and was a landmark game for its time, but it has since been surpassed and bettered by its sequels. I think it's overrated and nostalgia blinds people to its relative mediocrity.

Evisceratorloggery 4 out of 3 people are bad with fractions.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0075-2784-4710 | Nintendo Network ID: EvisceratorX

Krull

I thought the worst 3D Zelda was Genshin Impact...?

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Cynas

@Krull I've been playing Genshin Impact recently and it's actually a lot of fun and does enough to separate itself from BoTW. Yes, it does clearly borrow a lot of mechanics and aesthetics, but it has its own fully realized world and plenty of unique gameplay elements. I figure your comment was meant to just be a joke, so this isn't necessarily directed at you, but just felt like getting it out there.

I think I'd also agree that OoT is the worst 3D Zelda but only because it has a lot of tough competition. There's only six 3D Zelda games, and they're all pretty top notch. My first time playing OoT wasn't until after I played Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, so I wouldn't say I have high nostalgia for it either. I'd probably rank them as:

1. Wind Waker
2. BoTW
3. Majora's Mask
4. Skyward Sword
5. Twilight Princess
6. Ocarina of Time

Although to be honest I think it's pretty close between Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time.

For my own unpopular opinion, at least I think it is, I find Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia to be the best Fire Emblem game. I haven't played the ones that weren't localized but I've played all of the others, and it's still by far my favourite. I enjoy the characters, presentation, mechanics, music, story, and battles more than any other Fire Emblem I've played. I enjoy the way it handles magic, and the weapon system in general. The voice acting is really wonderful as well.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

porto

@SwitchVogel Everything you said about OoT is true, but I still don't think it's the worst 3D Zelda. That title goes to Twilight Princess IMO. I really didn't like the dark atmosphere compared to Skyward Sword's bright and colorful worlds.

Skyward Sword is my favorite 3D Zelda game. Don't judge

porto

SwitchVogel

@App Well, I'd put Twilight Princess only just above it; that one very much felt like a modern interpretation of OoT. I still enjoyed it, but it felt like a slog in many parts.

And I can see where you're coming from with Skyward Sword. There are a lot of valid complaints about that one, but I personally LOVED the motion controls and the more focused story. Plus, that was Nintendo at its best with Zelda dungeon design; I really hope we see some of that come back in BotW 2. I liked the shrines, but the Divine Beasts in BotW felt more like a last minute addition than they did properly planned out dungeons.

Evisceratorloggery 4 out of 3 people are bad with fractions.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0075-2784-4710 | Nintendo Network ID: EvisceratorX

NEStalgia

I agree about OoT. It's a product of it's time though, but a lot of it is simply archaic in design.

I did love tp though. It felt like a proper "remake" of oot. It felt better on wiiu than on wii though. I never finished it in wii. The controls felt wrong and the graphics had that smeary blur to it that gave me a headache, especially in anamorphic.

NEStalgia

Cotillion

Rexenoboy wrote:

Time for my unpopular opinion:
Nintendo does the right thing spacing their games out as much as they do. That way they don't oversaturate the market and it always remains a big deal when a new main instalment from their popular franchises arrives. It also gives them time to be creative and avoid the franchises becoming stale.

I always thought Nintendo to be pretty nonsensical in their release schedule. The spacing between some franchise games feels right, like Zelda usually feels about right and there's usually something new and fresh in them and it doesn't feel tired.
But others seem not so much, though. Mario is too much of the same, too often, IMO. While others are largely ignored for years (sometimes decades).
Mario Odyssey just feels like an upgraded Mario 64, and they'll keep pumping out Mario games that are more of the same, but at the same time completely ignore other franchises for many years because there's "nothing new" to do with them. Nintendos need to have some gimmick in each new release is both good and bad. A new hat gimmick is enough for Mario, but F-Zero goes ignored for coming up on 20 years because there isn't room for some bizarre new gimmick to throw in it when people don't even want a new gimmick for that; just some glorious HD F-Zero racing.

Cotillion

Eel

Twilight Princess feels weird and clunky most of the time, in my experience playing it.

I do like places and ideas from it, but gameplay-wise I find it poor.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Blooper987

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are my favorites

OoT and BotW are my least favorites

I’m pretty much the opposite of most people

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

kkslider5552000

Eel wrote:

I do like places and ideas from it, but gameplay-wise I find it poor.

I find that odd. Like...what is different about it for the gameplay to be poor? It's the most 3D Zelda to ever 3D Zelda, its mostly just Wind Waker without a boat.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

BabyYoda71

Blooper987 wrote:

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are my favorites

OoT and BotW are my least favorites

I’m pretty much the opposite of most people

Well, I’ve only played two Zelda games... but Spirit Tracks is way underrated and OoT is the most overrated.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

kkslider5552000

Honestly my most controversial 3D Zelda opinion (?) is that the original Wind Waker is the worst one, in hindsight. After the HD version, I don't know why you would ever want to go back to that one. I'd play the N64 OOT Water Temple over and over again long before I go back to GCN Wind Waker sailing even once.

Doesn't help that the dungeons aren't quite as strong as other games and the story doesn't live up to how much I loved it as a kid.

That being said, surprisingly HD Wind Waker made me like the sailing and going around various islands more than a lot of the main quest. I would never have expected that, even knowing the improvements going into the game.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic