Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 7,581 to 7,600 of 12,088

Eel

@kkslider5552000 it's just several repeated moments like, I have several memories of me playing and trying to move Link precisely and he just overshooting or acting buggy, sometimes getting stuck, refusing to do actions I want him to do, or doing the wrong thing entirely. Little annoying things like that.

Some of the same things happen in all 3D Zeldas. But I remember TP being the worst Non-Skyward Sword gameplay experience.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

megasean

@kkslider5552000 I need to replay Twilight Princess, but doesn't the time spent as a wolf change the gameplay a fair amount? Not to mention, the original version had a pretty different control scheme on the Wii. I liked TP, but it's my least favorite 3D Zelda. A 9/10 still.

3DS: 0834-4562-2419
Wii U/Switch: seandizz

Nintendo Network ID: seandizz

NotTelevision

@kkslider5552000 There are a lot of great aspects to Windwaker, like the sense of exploration, music, and all the personality put into the animations.

But you can’t help but think what the game could’ve been if they were given more time. If they would’ve added a couple more challenging non-linear dungeons and made the sailing less tedious it could be the best pre-BOTW 3D Zelda. I don’t hate the shard quest but it felt haphazardly shoehorned in the game at the end.

But there is a lot to admire about it regardless.

NotTelevision

kkslider5552000

NotTelevision wrote:

There are a lot of great aspects to Windwaker, like the sense of exploration, music, and all the personality put into the animations.

But you can’t help but think what the game could’ve been if they were given more time. If they would’ve added a couple more challenging non-linear dungeons and made the sailing less tedious it could be the best pre-BOTW 3D Zelda. I don’t hate the shard quest but it felt haphazardly shoehorned in the game at the end.

But there is a lot to admire about it regardless.

Oh sure. Like always, when I say "worst 3D Zelda", that still makes it better than the majority of games out there (even on a system not popular enough to have tons of shovelware, like the GCN). And the reason I don't want to replay it again is less because its bad and more because any desire or reason to do so died with the HD version existing.

Though I do find it funny that people's reactions to the game have generally gone from "let's blast it for having "kiddy" graphics" to "let's praise it for its graphics over anything else".

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Xyphon22

@kkslider5552000 I think it's funny that WW is like the last game I can remember going in that pattern. It seems most big Nintendo games follow the pattern of:

1. When it releases - "This is the greatest game ever!"
2. About a year later - "This game is horrible for many reasons!"
3. A few years down the line - "This is a really good game, right near the top of its series."

This has definitely been the case since Skyward Sword. It, BotW, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2...this seems to be a common pattern among gamers.

As for WW and back on topic, I was the exact opposite of what you said. I loved the graphics when they were first shown off (most people were upset simply because it was revealed after that awesome realistic E3 concept), but it is easily my least favorite 3D Zelda. Looking at the list of 3D Zeldas, I guess OoT would be near the bottom simply because the others are amazing, but Wind Waker, Minish Cap, and Link to the Past are my three least favorite in the series.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

NEStalgia

I tend to think of WW as the Bethesda-made Zelda and the true precursor to BotW. It plays like Morrowind except you can't freaking levitate. And there are few quests and NPCs. And you don't clip through the floor and breakdance in the skybrush.

@ToadBrigade " Imagine the backlash if millions of people bought the game to play Galaxy 2, only to find that it is practically impossible on the Lite because of the Yoshi tongue controls."

3/10: Not enough tongue
-IGN

@Eel was that perchance with the extended wolf like parts on the original GCN/Wii version? HD streamlined that considerably. I still feel that the worst part about TP was trying to play it on the Wii. The dungeons were mirrored and the controls were hot garbage. IT was a game meant for the GCN, and if you didn't get to play it on GCN it sucked until the WiiU version.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Eel

@NEStalgia Most of these memories come from playing the HD version. I played the Wii version too long ago to remember it that well.

I remember having more problems controlling human Link himself to be honest. But yeah wolf Link wasn’t much better.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Ferdinand_Von_Aegir

So, Recently I bought Yooka-Leele and the Impossible Lair. I thought it would be a DKC Like 2D platformer, nothing else. When I booted up the game, it showed me a tutorial with Yooka and Leele feeling great to control. Then it put me into the overworld. I instantly thought, Ohhhhh crap. First of all, there are the T-W-I-T Coins that suck to try and find in each level. Secondly, the overworld has annoying puzzles that YOU HAVE TO DO to play more levels. I feel like that is just there to make your gameplay time longer. Next, I find it annoying the "Paywalls" That you have to spend your T-W-I-T Coins on to progress. I don't like Exploring in 2D platformers, it's long and boring in this otherwise great game. Everything else about this game is great, it feels like the DKC 6 we all wanted. Those things do suck tho

Edited on by Ferdinand_Von_Aegir

Fire Emblem Three Houses is my favorite game
Ashe is the best character in FE:3H
Waluigi For Smash
The game I want most on switch is a new WarioWare (Welp. we got that!)
My favorite movie is Toy Story 3

Switch Friend Code: SW-0370-6056-2926 | 3DS Friend Code: 3755-1656-4298 | My Nintendo: LatsaSpege

GilbertXI

Here's my unpopular opinion:
Super Smash Bros World of Light is not that bad. No, it's not as great as the others, but I think it's fine. People criticize it way too much for no reason other than it's repetitive or it's no subspace. And it's the fans own fault they got hyped when the opening cutscene was revealed. Before that Sakurai LITERALLY SAID that it would not prioritize story, it's not like they were hiding it. Then I hear all these complaints on the internet that they were hyped by the opening cutscene being revealed and severely disappointed. I'm sorry, but that is completely your fault that you didn't listen.

GilbertXI

I-U

I think the second Fighters Pass for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is significantly better than the first Fighters Pass in its current state. ARMS is my favorite Nintendo Switch game, so I loved the inclusion of Min Min. Minecraft is more iconic than any third party representation arguably so far in Smash, and I too have played the game just as I have ARMS. It's 2 for 2 right now in terms of including characters that I have some history with where as Fighters Pass 1 was void of that.

The blue coin hunt in Super Mario Sunshine is more enjoyable than the game's secret levels and a majority of the 8th episodes. My run of the game in 3D All-Stars is the first time I've bothered trying to get 100%, and exploring for the blue coins opened up Isle Delfino's sites which lead to me feeling more immersed into its world. It feels somewhat like Power Moons in Odyssey without having the game feel bloated.

Super Mario 64's basement section is the best portion of the game in spite of Dire, Dire Docks. Lethal Lava Land, Shifting Sand Land and Hazy Maze Cave all are layered, open exploration levels as they expand into the volcano, inside the pyramid and the cavern of the Metal Cap respectively. Speaking of which, the basement section is where the game opens up the most between the aforementioned Metal Cap and access to the moat for the Vanish Cap.

Edited on by I-U

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Euler

GilbertXI wrote:

Here's my unpopular opinion:
Super Smash Bros World of Light is not that bad. No, it's not as great as the others, but I think it's fine. People criticize it way too much for no reason other than it's repetitive or it's no subspace. And it's the fans own fault they got hyped when the opening cutscene was revealed. Before that Sakurai LITERALLY SAID that it would not prioritize story, it's not like they were hiding it. Then I hear all these complaints on the internet that they were hyped by the opening cutscene being revealed and severely disappointed. I'm sorry, but that is completely your fault that you didn't listen.

Yes. I thought the final boss was very good as well. The build-up itself is cool (particularly the inverse boss battle, in which you play as the usual main boss of the series and take on the entire playable roster). Then the battle itself is a bit of everything - 2D platforming, multiman brawls, a boss rush, and finally a showdown against both Galeem and Dharkon. You have to dodge many types of attacks and use strategy to determine which to focus on (it's a three-way battle, and you'll lose if you eliminate one of them too quickly) - usually the boss that's stunned will be hit with a giant hammer by the other boss, so you won't want to attack that one. It's quite challenging to complete it without losing a stock, as required by one of the challenges.

Euler

GilbertXI

@I-U I think it's really up to what you like. In Japan, absolutely NOTHING can beat that Hero reveal, it's the Minecraft before Minecraft over there. But in the west, yeah in terms of unanimous praise, this is probably it. ARMS is not really my thing either, just don't like the gameplay loop. But min-min's moveset in smash was terrific IMO and I like her for that. Minecraft was a good chunk of my middle school years, so I'm excited as all hell, maybe not fall out of chair excitement, but excited.

I was ok with Byleth actually, as I'm an RPG monger, but I don't remember her as fondly( as well as banjo-kazooie) because I didn't find their moveset's terribly unique. Steve looks like a massive breath of fresh air, which is why I'm excited as well. Now, if every single one of my characters I want in smash list is checked off in this or a theoretical next dlc pack(probably gonna be one, whether it would be Nintendo's or Sakurai's decision, most likely the former) I would forget about the first pack in an instant, even though it had joker and hero, two franchises I deeply love.

My list currently stands as the Knight(Hollow Knight) any character at all from the greater MegaTen franchise, not just persona, the Hunter(monster hunter, rise would work best with wirebug as recovery and whatnot) and DoomSlayer, cause why not. Unfortunately for that last one, smash is for good boys and girls.

GilbertXI

kkslider5552000

The 1 2 punch of Banjo finally being in anything Nintendo again (especially Smash) followed by how incredibly fun Terry is, is something for me that has almost no chance of being topped. But that's fine, at this point unless the rest of the choices completely suck, I'm past the point of being able to be negative about the character choices. Smash Ultimate is already beyond impossible, and I'm gonna appreciate that for as long as possible.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

porto

@I-U I agree with your point on Sunshine’s blue coins. Besides Bianco Hills, there wasn’t a single 8th level that was enjoyable. It was either utterly boring or downright impossible.

I haven’t played SSBU so I can’t give my opinion there. I have played 64 and I agree. It was also home to most of the levels, 5 to be exact. (The first floor had 4, the second floor had 4, and the third floor had 2.) The only thing I don’t like about the basement is how long it takes to get there.

Edited on by porto

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

GilbertXI

@kkslider5552000 the smash dlc has some of the best characters made coming out of there. Even Byleth I think is great and super fun, his/her variety of weapons and their damn recovery, I love that recovery, mostly cause I suck at fighting off ledge and actually surviving. Unlike most other devs, the smash devs actually listen and watch closely, to an extent of course. They have proven they know what people want time and time again, nothing is off the table anymore(except for poor Sora, don't think he's coming anytime soon because of the money-filled hands of Disney). The only time I would be disappointed in a smash addition would be if like Fortnite dude or some crap like that gets in. And even then, as long as their moveset is fun, I wouldn't care too much. Not the end of the world by any means.

Edited on by GilbertXI

GilbertXI

I-U

@GilbertXI I would love to see both Doom and Monster Hunter represented just to see their Spirit Boards, which I would think would offer some over the top spirits to collect.

@kkslider5552000 All of Fighters Pass 1 is great in my opinion. I haven't played any of the represented series there, but did enjoy playing as each character. The release order could have been handled better though. Byleth being moved earlier in the pass, even before Three Houses release, and Hero or Banjo being that final pass character. With Fighters Pass 2, it's going to be hard to top Steve and there are 4 more fighters.

@App I enjoy the atmosphere of the Red Coin Fish and Fluff Festival Coin Hunt, even while fighting the "swimming" mechanics in the former. Somehow I didn't have a terrible time with the Watermelon Festival on my first file, but had to take a break from it in my second file. That clean run was an anomaly.

I end up going to Big Boo's Haunt before the first Bowser fight so often that I usually consider it a part of the first floor levels and forget that the first Bowser fight is unlocked before that course is accessible. That's another really enjoyable course, and I think it may be my favorite ghost level in a Mario game. They went that extra mile with the courses between the first and second Bowser fights.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

Buizel

Not sure if this is unpopular or not (perhaps I'm not in the right circles), but I think Insomniac Games are among the best developers of all time and should get more recognition for it.

I still believe Spyro to be the strongest competitor for 3D Mario during the 5th generation, and throughout the 6th and 7th generations the Ratchet and Clank series provided some solid 3D platforming at a time where the genre was dying (plus some innovation with the weapon mechanics). Insomniac's Spider-man absolutely blew me away with what they were able to achieve on the PS4 - the platforming and combat feel like a culmination of generations of work on games, and exploring the landscape of Manhattan is just stunning.

Now, moving into the next generation, and with Sony's acquisition of Insomniac Games, I get the feeling that they will be for Sony moving forward what Rare was for Nintendo in the 90s. Spider-Man: Miles Morales and R&C: Rift Apart already look like the two most promising games of the next generation IMO, and, assuming these games are of as high quality as their predecessors, it makes me hopeful for what they can achieve in the years to come.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Ferdinand_Von_Aegir

Terry is the least fun smash DLC Character. There. Said it.

Fire Emblem Three Houses is my favorite game
Ashe is the best character in FE:3H
Waluigi For Smash
The game I want most on switch is a new WarioWare (Welp. we got that!)
My favorite movie is Toy Story 3

Switch Friend Code: SW-0370-6056-2926 | 3DS Friend Code: 3755-1656-4298 | My Nintendo: LatsaSpege

LzWinky

Depends if you want the characters or not.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

ThroughTheIris56

@ToadBrigade I get what you mean, the only fighter from that pass I care about is Banjo, so I'm just going to buy him and ignore the pass.

ThroughTheIris56

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic