Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 10,201 to 10,220 of 12,088

Ralizah

I'm glad they're porting courses from Tour to MK8D. As someone with zero interest in playing Mario Kart on a mobile device, this means I'll have access to them on my preferred device.

Also, the shift in art-style is NOT noticeable, since Nintendo did touch them up a bit so they'd look better in MK8D.

Double the content at less than half the price is better than I could have ever hoped from Nintendo.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

MarioVillager92

@Ralizah I honestly agree with you. I actually went ahead and briefly tried out Mario Kart Tour last year and I didn't really like it...hated the controls, and the gacha shenanigans certainly didn't help either. I didn't play MKT that much as a result, so having the Tour courses as part of the DLC is honestly a lifesaver for me, and it's kind of like having a brand new Mario Kart game, albeit with MK8 assets. I'm happy with the DLC courses so far. Paris Promenade and Ninja Hideaway are great tracks for sure imo, and I liked revisiting tracks like Coconut Mall and Shroom Ridge.

Edited on by MarioVillager92

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Snatcher

@Ralizah Tour sucks man, I tried to get into it last year, and im just much happier with this option.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

blindsquirrel

So this isn’t about one specific game but more so an entire year.

2020 was a really great year for first party switch games. We got Oragami king( my personal favorite paper Mario) age of calamity, pikmin 3 deluxe, 3D all stars, and animal crossing. Honestly it is probably the second best year, only behind 2017.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Ralizah

@blindsquarel Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition as well.

I can't really agree with your take about it being one of the best years for the system, but I will say this: people wildly overstate how 'bad' it was. 2018 was the only year I can say I was dissatisfied with support for the system, and even that year had its highlights.

Greatluigi

Dunno if this count as “gaming per say but I prefer the dub of Kirby right back at ya because mainly I grew up watching the dub so I’m more used to the English names also the name for the monsters in the sub is overly edgy. (Demon beast? Really? How edgy can you get?) although I am willing to admit that the English dub also has its fair share of goofs. (fololo falala? eNeMeE? You kidding me?)

Greatluigi

JungleHeart

For me, probably the end of totally complete games. I'm not going to point game companies who started the trend, but more than the fact that many games today are no longer complete, the unpopular bit here for me is that... I think this is normal and good?

I think as long as they release the game in a playable form and a good one at that, as long as it's not Cyberpunk 2077 or anything like it, I think it's good because future DLCs could implement quality of life changes on the game that could warrant a complete playthrough again.

A bit similar to what was discussed here:
https://blog.playerauctions.com/others/the-demise-of-feature-...

So yeah, I'm all for it as long as they don't make components of the game (like characters) to be paid DLCs, and as long as they don't butcher the entirety of the game with bugs and glitches.

Currently playing: Elden Ring
Tools of choice: Switch and Series X
Works as a freelance writer
https://blog.playerauctions.com/all-posts/

kkslider5552000

I'd argue that if a game feels like a complete, working game at launch, then calling it incomplete because of updates or future DLC is completely nonsensical. It's like saying a movie isn't complete at theaters because it doesn't have the DVD extras.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

VoidofLight

As long as the game isn't like New Horizons, where it's lacking in content at launch, I couldn't care less if a game is live service or not. However, most companies, like Nintendo, fail at understanding how live service games are supposed to work in the first place, which cause some consumers to play the game for about a month or so, get their fill of the game, and then never return.

I wish more live service games would learn from series like Monster Hunter, where the developers already put tons of content into the game at launch, but then update more content into it over time. In my opinion, that's what live service games need to be. Not whatever the hell happened to New Horizons or Cyberpunk.

Also, I don't think all games need to be live service either. I'd much rather have more complete games that only get DLC expansions months down the road, or bug fix updates than a game that "goes on forever".

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Screen

2021 was subjectively better than 2017 for Switch releases.

At least in terms of second and third party releases.

Edited on by Screen

BDSP has online matchmaking!

Pizzamorg

Live services are a good thing in concept, but have just become a way for big companies to fleece their players by releasing what is effectively an alpha at full price with the vague promise that the game will be finished at a later date. It is like I sometimes think about how games like Halo were able to exist with healthy player bases for so long, as Infinite's playerbase plummets due to a "lack of content", but I remember that games like Halo 2 existed in a time when games were released complete and didn't have most of the content locked behind paywalls from day one. Remember when we used to get mad about "the DLC is on the disc". Now somehow in like a decade we've just gotten used to the idea of every new game, even single player games, on day one having a cash shop at launch with huge chunks of content only accessible by buying it. What a ***** show.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Ralizah

@Screen 2021 was definitely better than 2017 in terms of third-party releases on Switch. A bunch of great stuff throughout the year, capping off with the flawed but still extremely fun SMT V.

Industry-wide, that balance swings back to 2017, though, as a lot of brilliant stuff released on other consoles as well.

@Pizzamorg One of the reasons I'm thankful I play very little AAA third-party content is that I'm largely insulated from the sort of stuff you're referring to. Although the service model is annoying even when it's more ethically implemented. Like in Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and especially Monster Hunter Rise. Didn't have to pay for those content drops, but I still wish they'd been there at launch.

Edited on by Ralizah

Snatcher

I agree @Pizzamorg .

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Zuljaras

@Link-Hero mmmm I remember those times!

StarCraft Brood War
Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne
Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction
Heroes of Might and Magic V Tribes of the East
Sacred 2 Ice & Blood

Actual amazing addons ...
Those were the times!!!

Anti-Matter

Boxing should be get more appreciation in video games as I still see a discrimination with Boxing sport to be included on cartoonish sport games in this era (Switch Sports without Boxing, Instant Sports games that still no Boxing included)

Anti-Matter

VoidofLight

@Ralizah I honestly found Monster Hunter to be better than how Animal Crossing handled it, since you still had hours of content out of the gate, as opposed to Animal Crossing having less content than the last entry that came before.

kkslider5552000

I'd honestly have been fine if New Horizons had even less content at launch if the villagers were interesting instead. In hindsight, that's my biggest problem with the game (and the series as its gone on), and it might not even be close. It's really annoying especially when you see the hints of actual characters beyond just bland enjoyment of things and odd, quirky moments.

Also I never had the same issues with Splatoon's launch content, because I still played it more in the first couple of months of the original than I would to beat most of the games I played growing up. Granted, it probably helped that it was a genuinely novel game that came out when Nintendo had nothing else going on, but my rule for whether something is worth my money at full price is often "is great for 20+ hours". And Splatoon did that before updates. And then actually got updates. And having played through Splatoon 2 way later, its very apparent to me how much updates make me want to play this game, because now that I've done both campaigns, I find it hard to justify playing it more with other games waiting.

While I do obviously think Splatoon 3 should have more content at launch than the previous games did, I'd genuinely prefer the game to give me reasons to play it after launch. Otherwise, I find it hard to justify going back to games nowadays.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

VoidofLight

@kkslider5552000 Eh, the issue for me wasn't just that the villagers were lacking, but the fact that the game is supposed to be where you progress on your own, within your own pace. The updates sort of defeat that in a way, with them basically withholding content, telling you when you can get it, instead of just working towards it on your own like other Animal Crossing games.

Not to mention, that some of the updated content doesn't even really make you work for it. You were pretty much just handed it.

Grumblevolcano

@Pizzamorg I think the situation is that back in the Halo 2 days there wasn't much console online multiplayer FPS competition and Halo 3 had release timing advantage to have a strong population. Then the increase in competition due to stuff like massively popular annual CoD (Modern Warfare onwards) meant all competitors decided on ways to maintain their playerbase. Over time that became free content updates with loot boxes and then free to play games with free content updates with battle passes and microtransaction stores. Nowadays Fortnite puts pressure on everything.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

kkslider5552000

I mean, that's pretty valid. But at my pace, I never even finished paying off my house, nor finished the museum, after like 100 hours.

Actually the other big problem, the initial loading time. As someone who often played it in fairly short sessions, that was painful in the long term.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic