Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 10,061 to 10,080 of 12,088

Pizzamorg

I just get really bored of having this discussion seemingly every other day. Usually it is my fault in fairness, although I never set out for the absolute dogpiling I usually end up receiving but this time I did not ask for this. Void just started baiting me because I said the words Elden Ring seemingly (even though it was not about difficulty and never was).

And I still firmly 100 percent disagree, regardless of whether you believe you are correct or not.

Not played Tales, just an example of contrast of reviews. My understanding it is a linear game to a degree, but you explore large open areas as you move through the game.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

BruceCM

I must have missed where any1 said the Elden Ring approach to world design should be used for every RPG....
I think I missed half of the relevant discussion, so perhaps we could go back a bit?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Pizzamorg

BruceCM wrote:

I must have missed where any1 said the Elden Ring approach to world design should be used for every RPG....
I think I missed half of the relevant discussion, so perhaps we could go back a bit?

Someone mentioned not liking to replay dialogue sections in an RPG. Someone said "get good" in an unpopular opinions thread?????? (like seriously, what a clown). I responded to that, gave me own take on things I don't personally enjoy in that sort of umbrella, that I know are otherwise popular. Mentioned Elden Ring in passing for the ridiculous praise it is getting for having checkpoints that aren't straight of a 90s 8bit cartridge game and that triggered Void I guess to once again rant about my thoughts on easy games - even though this is the unpopular opinion thread, not the defend your opinion thread. If you just come into this thread to argue with people's thoughts in here, then I guess good job as you've confirmed they are probably unpopular opinions but if the thoughts make you mad maybe don't hang out in this thread? Or is that the kind of "gatekeeping" that isn't allowed, I can't work it out because their definitions are so ill defined.

And here we are, caught up.

BruceCM

Well, I saw something about the 'getgud' part, @Pizzamorg .... But I think it looked like there was mostly some misunderstanding going on about something
Elden Ring is mostly going to be compared to the previous Dark Souls games & that's where it's doing a lot of things better
But I haven't seen anyone suggest it's approach to world design should be the standard for every game from now on

SW-4357-9287-0699

Pizzamorg

BruceCM wrote:

But I haven't seen anyone suggest it's approach to world design should be the standard for every game from now on

Just a quick google my dude, surf on Twitter or Reddit and soak up the cringe.

There is this real vocal, but probably in reality quite small, contingent of people who think feeling lost and aimless in an open world game is the best thing ever. And I am like, you do you my friend, but don't push that crap on me. I want markers to life forever, or they just give the choice. And I guess if BOTW couldn't take the markers away, Elden Ring probably won't either.

VoidofLight

You don't want Elden Ring's aimless world design pushed on you, but yet you're fully willing to push that all games should have easy modes and compromise the experience the developers want.

Edit: Whatever. This isn't even worth it. Nothing anyone can say will change your mind on this, but nothing you'll say will change the minds of the developers for these games as well. The people who like harder games like these won't have to worry about the developer's vision being compromised due to a small amount of people who are vocal about not accepting when a game isn't for them.

Edited on by VoidofLight

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

BruceCM

Oh, there'll always be some idiots, @Pizzamorg .... I'm liking Elden Ring a lot but it's approach wouldn't suit, say, Tales of Arise, which I also liked a lot
The latter is a very story focused game where nobody plays Elden Ring for that

SW-4357-9287-0699

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

You don't want Elden Ring's aimless world design pushed on you, but yet you're fully willing to push that all games should have easy modes and compromise the experience the developers want.

I ain't pushed it on nobody, we in the unpopular opinion thread. The only person pushing is you every time you try and force me to defend an opinion I know is unpopular hence the thread I am in. Don't be a clown, I've seen you post some good stuff here, you are better than this.

VoidofLight

@BruceCM Yeah, the people who say that all games need to be like Elden Ring are mistaken. Not all games can really replicate the experience, nor should they aim to. Plus, it doesn't work for more linear games like Tales of Arise, which is mostly just uber linear level design with a few branching paths.

BruceCM

Also, having an option for easier difficulty doesn't stop people playing on excruciatingly difficult nightmare ironman insta-perma death githgud scrub mode....
Quite, @VoidofLight ... As I said, I liked Arise a lot, as well but I hadn't seen idiots saying that every game should do the Elden Ring world design approach

Edited on by BruceCM

SW-4357-9287-0699

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg I mean, I've seen you talk about this in many other threads outside of the unpopular opinions one, in the respective threads for these games. I've seen you express some stuff in the Elden Ring thread, which kinda has the tone that you don't really like Souls games, when complaining about some of the aspects of the game itself. Aspects that have been present in most of these souls-like games.

BruceCM

Yeah & it's why he didn't play those, @VoidofLight .... Elden Ring has proved they can make the game more accessible & less frustrating now, so that's now part of their vision as well

SW-4357-9287-0699

Pizzamorg

BruceCM wrote:

Also, having an option for easier difficulty doesn't stop people playing on excruciatingly difficult nightmare ironman insta-perma death githgud scrub mode....

Exactly. I appreciate that "having an easy mode" in itself is fairly reductive answer to this problem. More granular options are the real solution. But people who act like an optional easy mode somehow ruins the game is such nonsense. A game has never been, and never will be, ruined by an optional easy mode. 'Buh my trophies!', you can kiss your trophies. Who even cares?

They don't have to play the easy mode, just like I'll never play the optional hardcore nightmare modes. But that optional hardcore nightmare mode even if the "intended difficulty" really has no bearing on my experience of the game, because I just don't play that difficulty. If you are there and can't enjoy a game because it has an easy mode in the options somewhere, then you probably have bigger issues you should get checked out.

VoidofLight wrote:

@Pizzamorg I mean, I've seen you talk about this in many other threads outside of the unpopular opinions one, in the respective threads for these games. I've seen you express some stuff in the Elden Ring thread, which kinda has the tone that you don't really like Souls games, when complaining about some of the aspects of the game itself. Aspects that have been present in most of these souls-like games.

I said Elden Ring was unrewarding, not too hard, in the Souls thread. In fact, I actually remarked several times that the game was way easier than I expected it to be. Margit kicked my ass but I had no committed to the grind and intend to go back. If you're gonna keep at this, at least get your information right.

Snatcher

https://gamerant.com/elden-ring-director-difficulty-apology/

Sorry for butting in yet again, I found this article, since I finally remembered, and I thought it could add to the convo? idk.

But he said his reasons for why he makes it as hard as it is, "I just want as many players as possible to experience the joy that comes from overcoming hardship.”

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

VoidofLight

@Snatcher And that's why I like games like this. They actually make you feel like you earned your victory, instead of just handing it to you because the game doesn't require players to actually learn the game itself.

BruceCM

Well, yeah, doing good options for it is actually quite tricky but games these days are, generally, doing a lot more towards that, @Pizzamorg .... So, the basic idea of having those options isn't actually unpopular!
Well, Elden Ring is definitely a lot more accessible than, say, Dark Souls Remastered, @Snatcher ....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Snatcher

@VoidofLight I feel the same way, thats why I love playing hard games, that feeling of me overcoming something, me having to learn to do it as well, I just love it. And to think there was a time I hated hard games, but when I actually try'd to play my first game like that, might have been the crash remakes, that feeling, yeah, changed my gaming days.

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

BruceCM

So, you playing Elden Ring, @Snatcher ....? Post about it in the Souls thread? Tell us about your favourite bosses?
Malenia Blade of Miquella is such a lovely girl

SW-4357-9287-0699

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

https://gamerant.com/elden-ring-director-difficulty-apology/

Sorry for butting in yet again, I found this article, since I finally remembered, and I thought it could add to the convo? idk.

But he said his reasons for why he makes it as hard as it is, "I just want as many players as possible to experience the joy that comes from overcoming hardship.”

I just think the same mistake is always made here in that people assume difficulty is this flat line. I often see this lazy rhetoric of like "people these days are babies and don't even want to engage with the game".

And firstly, ***** insults aside, if people just want to experience the story without friction, I don't see why that needs to be stigmatised in the first place. But whatever.

Secondly, not every single person is at the same skill level with games. There is a reason you hand your older sibling the controller. There is a reason Esports exist.

Just creating one difficulty and then saying they want people to experience overcoming "a challenge" is such a contradictory design ethos. Because who decides what qualifies here? That is why difficulty settings exist in the first place.

Should every game then be made for Esports Masters with no options and if you can't beat it then just... get good scrub. Do you even want to engage with this game or what? Use your brain.

To act like a person doesn't try as hard on an easy mode, as another higher skilled player might do on a hard mode, might be true in some cases, but isn't the rule. And usually if that is the case, that is the result of poor game design, more than anything else.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Snatcher

@BruceCM From what I heard, I would say.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic