Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 10,081 to 10,100 of 12,088

BruceCM

Would say what, @Snatcher ....? About Malenia? I beat her earlier, so I'll be going for the story boss next

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Snatcher

@BruceCM Oh I mean I would say the games are much more new player friendly then dark souls, I haven't played elden but I have actually seen a lot of people who are not really into dark souls Enjoying this game a lot.

@Pizzamorg I think he wants people who want to overcome the challenge, to play the game. He wants other players to, but at the end of the day I think thats who he wants to beat his game. He did say he felt bad for players who found the games to hard however, so I think he acknowledges those types of players exist, but he still wants a type of player playing his game.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

BruceCM

Planning to try it yourself, @Snatcher ....? There's certainly plenty of bosses that would be extremely difficult if you fought them at the earliest opportunity or hadn't explored a bit before taking on if you want the challenge

SW-4357-9287-0699

Snatcher

@BruceCM I think I am, But I might play dark souls first.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

BruceCM

Dark Souls Remastered, @Snatcher ? I died about a million times playing that.... Elden Ring is really a huge improvement on that 1, at least

SW-4357-9287-0699

MarioVillager92

@Ralizah Looks like we disagree on the controls, then. It's the one I feel most in control of when it comes to 2D Mario games, since Mario has a more versatile moveset, and I guess I'm more used to twitch controls. I really like how you can throw items upward as well. I will also admit that I like the game's music. The game's graphical style isn't too bad imo, I like its vibrant colors and everything, even though it's more simplistic compared to many other games from the 16-bit generation. Probably because the devs were starting to get their feet wet with the SNES hardware.

Yeah, SMB3 had a lot more power-ups, and all of them are fun to use in their own ways. While there are Yoshis that come in other colors, they're really only found in the Star World. It's mostly the green Yoshi, Cape Feather, and the Fire Flower. Cape Mario feels great to use to me, though the one thing I will critique it on is how broken it can be. You can literally fly above the vast majority of levels if you wanted to. I like the idea of having multiple goals for certain levels too. While you could go for all 96 exits, you could pretty much make your own path to the end too, so in that regard, it does add some replay value.

That's pretty much my own take on SMW. We do disagree with each other on some points, but that's ok. You're entitled to your own thoughts on the game after all.

@WoomyNNYes Yeah absolutely, I've pretty much mastered the art of drifting during my many, many years of playing Mario Kart. Knowing a good chunk of the track helps a lot too. Too bad I'm not fully used to 200cc though. lol

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

@BruceCM I think I am, But I might play dark souls first.

Yeah it is weird one. If you don't play the older titles in a franchise first, you are basically just never going to enjoy them. But you also don't want to play an older title, hate it and then bounce off the franchise entirely and miss out on a later game you might end up loving.

Like since Monster Hunter is my jam, I'd always recommend Rise to people wanting to try Monster Hunter out. A purist might say like start with Generations or something because of all the monsters in it, but if you have no appreciation for the series to begin with, you ain't gonna back to that antiquated, clunky ass, obtuse game and be like mhmmm more please.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

roy130390

@Snatcher Just a heads-up, from personal experience and the people I know it really doesn't matter with which game you begin. By that logic it should be recommended to start with the PS3 version of Demon's Souls but many missed it. People have joined in different entries and as long as they are willing to learn the game rules and take their time to proceed without rushing it, you'll make progress and get the hang of it. On the contrary, as long as you have patience and learn from mistakes you'll usually end up enjoying them pretty fast regardless of which one you try first. I did recommend you the first Dark Souls simply because I think that it's the easiest entry in general. Remember to play offline by the way.

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Buizel

@Ralizah all fair comments, and they pretty much capture that side of the ever-going SMB3 vs SMW debate. Tbh I think it's quite nice that the games are so different that you can make strong cases for preferring one over the other, yet both are considered among the best games of all time

At least 2'8".

Snatcher

@roy130390 Theres online play? thanks for the heads up, I was thinking of starting two of dark souls actually.

@BruceCM I was thinking of play two maybe, as I have seen more stuff for two.

@Pizzamorg Rise is 100% the best start to a MH game in my opinion, just because of how well they streamline things.

Snatcher

@roy130390 Theres online play? thanks for the heads up, I was thinking of starting two of dark souls actually.

@BruceCM I was thinking of play two maybe, as I have seen more stuff for two.

@Pizzamorg Rise is 100% the best start to a MH game in my opinion, just because of how well they streamline things.

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg If you aren't at the skill level to play a specific game, then that specific game isn't for you. This is like playing an intentionally easy game, and then complaining that said game was easy, when it was made to be easy by design.

If the game was unfair, then yeah, I'd get that. That's where the line is drawn. However, generally with souls games, at least from my experience, they're more than fair. Yes, they're unforgiving at times, but generally if you learn the mechanics of the game, then you'll have no trouble playing said game. These games are made to where every death you learn something.

Souls games also don't have a major story emphasis. If you're playing these sorts of games for the story, then you're better off just not playing them at all. They're mostly about the gameplay from what I can tell.

Yes, not everyone is the same skill level with games, but I believe everyone has the capability to be able to learn games. If something's too hard for you, you still have the ability to learn by playing... and if you don't want to sink time into a game that makes you learn it's mechanics, or simply just don't have the time, then it's probably best you evaluate if the game is right for you in the first place, instead of saying that it's the developer's fault and the game's design that's the issue.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

roy130390

@Snatcher Yup, there is, both co-op and pvp. There's people called invaders, they joined a covenant and it's main mission is to kill players so don't take it personal haha. However, it really isn't recommended to let them into your game at the start as they are usually much more strong than the players they invade at those points. Invasions can only happen if your character is "alive" though. If you are "hollow" you are safe from Invasions but you also can't invite players for co-op. A good way of asking for help from players without getting invaded is reviving yourself on the bonfire while offline and then reaching the boss (fog gate) and connecting to the internet to summon players. If someone invades, at least you can enter the boss without having to fight them.

Edited on by roy130390

Snatcher

Wow @roy130390 I can’t believe there are actually online features like that, seems like no one talks about it, thanks so much for the heads up.

Ralizah

@VoidofLight I feel like criticizing easy games for not including difficulty options for more skilled players is also valid. Like, Pokemon games would lose nothing from allowing hard modes. Ditto with FS games and easy modes.

People can argue it doesn't align with the developer's "vision" for the game or whatever, but in that case, how do we ever critique anything? Unless something is a bug or glitch or something, it's part of the developer's "vision." FS is pretty singular in terms of its fans treating the designers like infallible gods whose decisions can't be questioned at all.

Which isn't to say that people need to agree with criticisms they don't agree with, but the cultish dialogue surrounding that developer's games continues to baffle me a bit.

RE: story, I feel like a game can be gameplay-oriented and still include SOME narrative elements. Tethering the development of the backstory to exploration was, IMO, one of BotW's great strengths as a game, and I don't think it would have been nearly as compelling overall without that carrot at the end of the stick. Elden Ring is definitely fun to play regardless of how little storytelling there is, but I do think it's a bit disingenuous to act like wanting some narrative development in a 100+ hour long RPG is an unreasonable expectation. I also think almost any other RPG that took this approach would be raked over the coals for doing so.

@Buizel I will say, it's a bit disappointing that Nintendo hasn't created anything on the 2D Mario front that can dethrone a bunch of old NES/SNES games. I really like some of the NSMB games, but Ninty could do so much more.

Of course, with Mario Maker being a thing, I feel like they're probably not in any rush to make more 2D Mario games.

@MarioLover92 I dunno. The Raccoon Tail in SMB3 is even easier to use than the Cape Feather in SMW, and I didn't really feel like that broke the game at all. Nintendo tends to restrict access to these items on levels where there's a heavy emphasis on platforming skill.

Yeah, I realize I'm a minority opinion on SMW. That's fine. I don't want people to stop loving the game. I just wish I did, too.

Probably doesn't help that I didn't play it growing up, which can definitely make people more critical about older games. Like, I love FFVII to death, but I've seen numerous people play it for the first time in the last few years and not really 'get' it. And while I do think good games shouldn't be dependent on nostalgia for appreciation, I do think some games benefit more from playing them around the time period they first came out than others.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

WoomyNNYes

@MarioLover92 I thought 200cc was intimidating, but it's very fun, and very worth it to learn. There are two ways you'll drive differently.
1.) Start your drifts earlier and from farther out (because the karts drift wider at higher speed).
2.) Use the brake button while drifting to slow you down at tight turns, and allow you to turn sharper while you drift. While you have your thumb on A for gas, you can fat-finger it; You can rock your thumb onto B to apply the brake while you're driving/drifting.

You can watch a time trial staff ghost if you want to see how they get around the track, or see their build. And actually, Autosteer is good for learning 200cc, keeping you on the track, rather than flying off a track into water, off a cliff, etc.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

roy130390

@Snatcher Come on mate, haven't you heard about the "jolly cooperation"? It's actually one of the most known things the series. Also many YouTubers got famous because of their pvp content. I recommend Zekkai if you want to see some fun stuff.

Here's some videos:

Poor Guts

The Parry God

Edited on by roy130390

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

FS is pretty singular in terms of its fans treating the designers like infallible gods whose decisions can't be questioned at all.

Which isn't to say that people need to agree with criticisms they don't agree with, but the cultish dialogue surrounding that developer's games continues to baffle me a bit.

I'm not surprised it happened though. Dark Souls in 2011 was so wildly different from your average AAA game at the time, and the anti-thesis of needlessly obnoxious, handholding, overly scripted games of the time. And quite frankly, the Operation Rainfall thing in that exact same year always made it feel like a bad time for niche Japanese games in general, so I feel like people latched onto these Souls games as hard as they could. So while its largely misguided, I do get people being overly concerned about people saying this great niche game should do things to make it more "appealing", which can easily be at least presented the same way that every company that ruined their own games to "appeal to a wide audience".

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Euler

@Pizzamorg Obviously struck a nerve, clearly some people are very insecure about being bad at a video game.

@Ralizah The raccoon tail doesn't allow unlimited flight, and there's a limited quantity available. Hence not quite as "broken" as the cape feather.

Edited on by Euler

Euler

VoidofLight

This is probably not that unpopular, but I kind of like Open World games where you wander aimlessly, without the game telling you where to go. You have to make your own tale and your own adventure, with the only big draws just being the interesting landmarks you see in the horizon. Other than that, the map is mainly blank until you fill it yourself, and there's no markers pre-placed upon it. Games like BotW and Elden Ring pull off their respective worlds extremely well due to this, and it's probably one of the reasons I couldn't get into Horizon Zero Dawn when I tried it.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic