Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 10,081 to 10,100 of 10,802

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

I think just think what people were saying, was that not every game needs a easy mode, and its ok if a game has a higher skill cap then the last one.

I find this argument repeated, but it is inherently a fallacy. An easy mode doesn't lower the skill of the hard mode, the two can exist side by side in harmony, as they have done forever. Every game can have an easy mode, there is literally no argument against this. Games like Sifu, Elden Ring, Dread etc are all living proof of that.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: RingFit Adventure.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Monster Hunter Rise. Dark Pictures Anthology. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

Sunsy

@Pizzamorg @Snatcher I personally tend to play on easier difficulty levels to simply enjoy myself when playing games. However, I don't mind a challenge in a familiar game if I'm up for it. Example, I played some classic Doom on Hurt Me Plenty (hard), and did decently at it. That was my choice to try the challenge.

I do feel that developers also put difficulty levels in games too, if they didn't intend on an easy mode or a hard mode, they wouldn't put it in. That's what I think anyway.

@Losermagnet I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion, but that's one I agree with too. The reason Splatoon appealed to me in the first place because it was doing something different than most online shooters I played at the time (Call of Duty Ghosts, I have it on Wii U).

Edited on by Sunsy

Sunsy

Snatcher

@Losermagnet Wow I thought I was going to get slayed for having that opinion, Nice to see you guys understand what I meant (:

And @Sunsy you pretty much Hit it home.
"classic Doom on Hurt Me Plenty (hard), and did decently at it. That was my choice to try the challenge.

I do feel that developers also put difficulty levels in games too, if they didn't intend on an easy mode or a hard mode, they wouldn't put it in. That's what I think anyway."

This is exactly, If the If they didn't intend on an easy mode or a had mode, they wouldn't put it in, This is perfect, sums up what I have been trying to say!

You also wanted to play those games, (Hard) it was your choice to try the challenge, this whole post is perfect way to sum up what I was trying say.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg And this is true, I was just saying its ok if some games don't have one, that not every game needs one, not because it would ruin the game or anything, but because its fine for it to be the way it is.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

VoidofLight

I feel like easy mode generally ruins the experience, and seems like an easy way out for people who don’t want to spend time learning the games at times, but eh.

Currently Playing: Persona 3 Portable and Pokemon White 2!

Snatcher

(Sorry for multi posting) That was pretty much the only reason I had interest in splatoon to begin with, It was a shooter, but with a really big twist.

No capture points to take, to payload to move, no kills to worry about, just how much of an area you can color then the other team, with a shooter base, I just hope they don't draw away from this path.

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg And this is true, I was just saying its ok if some games don't have one, that not every game needs one, not because it would ruin the game or anything, but because its fine for it to be the way it is.

Yeah, this is where things become more complicated. You want to respect a Dev Teams wishes and vision, a game made for everyone is a game made for no one, at the end of the day. However, if they don't include options to allow everyone to at least attempt their title, then they aren't a Dev Team I'm interested in supporting.

VoidofLight wrote:

I feel like easy mode generally ruins the experience, and seems like an easy way out for people who don’t want to spend time learning the games at times, but eh.

And that is fine, if an easy mode ruins your experience, just play one of the harder modes. But for those who just want to enjoy the story or aren't able bodied or whatever, they shouldn't be excluded. And I think more and more dev teams are accepting this.

PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Monster Hunter Rise. Dark Pictures Anthology. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg Well I think they do allow people to do that, if you play the game and its just not fun to you, thats fine. I feel like the devs present a challenge, and your ether up to it, or not, and if you just can't do it, its ok, there are a lot of people that can't, But the people that can I guess is what the devs want to see beat there game, thats a lot of assuming on my part, but thats what I think might be the reason.

But games having easy game mods is great, dead cells hit it home with there last update being for just that.

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg Well I think they do allow people to do that, if you play the game and its just not fun to you, thats fine. I feel like the devs present a challenge, and your ether up to it, or not, and if you just can't do it, its ok, there are a lot of people that can't, But the people that can I guess is what the devs want to see beat there game, thats a lot of assuming on my part, but thats what I think might be the reason.

But games having easy game mods is great, dead cells hit it home with there last update being for just that.

I don't really agree that those two things are the same thing. A game could have everything you love in a game, but just be way too damn hard, that doesn't mean the game isn't inherently for you. It just means it is too hard.

But yeah, easy modes are great, we can agree on that. Well done to Sifu, well done to Dread, let us hope that Elden Ring live up to their more accessible promises and we might finally move into a Golden Age where 'Git Gudders' can get back in the bin where they belong.

Xyphon22

As someone who never plays on easy mode (or hard mode, for that matter, I just stick to the default setting), I completely understand implementing them all. This is an entertainment medium that is vying for consumers' hard-earned cash first and foremost, and I would hate to feel like I just wasted $60 of my precious money by playing a game for 10 minutes and realizing I was never going to get anywhere because it was too hard for my skill level. And I also have no interest in wasting countless hours of my precious time becoming good enough by repeating the same deaths over and over again.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

kkslider5552000

I think an "easy mode" in general is not the magic "make game accessible to as many as possible" button as some people think it is. Especially if its not even done well. Not to mention games are made to be a certain difficulty generally speaking (at least games where an easy mode would even apply), so they'd probably be an objectively worse made version of the thing, which is not what I'd want if I couldn't deal with the normal version.

I mostly feel like various options and cheats are a better and more interesting way to pull it off regardless. I mean, when I couldn't beat certain games growing up, cheats kept me playing (occasionally also files on games owned by someone else that had gotten further than me).

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Pizzamorg

Xyphon22 wrote:

And I also have no interest in wasting countless hours of my precious time becoming good enough by repeating the same deaths over and over again.

Yeah, this is the thing too. Git gudders seem to think people have just unlimited amounts of time to run into a wall. People have jobs, have kids, have lives, if they only have an hour to sit down and play a game every other day, why would they want to spend that repeating the same section of a game over and over until they pass it? I mean I guess if people find that fun, power to them, but I certainly don't.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I think an "easy mode" in general is not the magic "make game accessible to as many as possible" button as some people think it is. Especially if its not even done well. Not to mention games are made to be a certain difficulty generally speaking (at least games where an easy mode would even apply), so they'd probably be an objectively worse made version of the thing, which is not what I'd want if I couldn't deal with the normal version.

I mostly feel like various options and cheats are a better and more interesting way to pull it off regardless. I mean, when I couldn't beat certain games growing up, cheats kept me playing (occasionally also files on games owned by someone else that had gotten further than me).

But I think the point is that an easy mode doesn't replace what is already there. So someone might find the easy mode rubbish or whatever, but that is fine, they have the choice to go up to a higher difficulty and may enjoy themselves. But if they are allowed the choice to go up, then people should be allowed the choice to go down as well (in hindsight the wording of this is horrible, haha).

Also, you can slow down animations, extend I-Windows, tweak damage numbers and do all sorts of things to make an experience easier without inherently altering the mechanics.

VoidofLight

Eh, I just think if a game is meant to be hard, then it doesn't need an easy mode. If people don't want to spend the time to learn the mechanics, then oh well, that game isn't for them. If you find Dark Souls too hard, then just don't play it. If you find Hollow Knight to be too hard, then just don't play it, unless you're actually wanting to learn the mechanics.

Accessibility modes can be good for people who are with disabilities, but I just feel like adding an easy mode in some games will destroy the purpose of their existence.

Also, I get that yes, I don't personally have to play the easy mode, but at times, if it's present, it can be easy for me to fall into the trap of not learning how to play the game, and instead just switching to the mode where enemies barely hit you or do damage to you.

@Pizzamorg I don't mean to start an argument by saying this, so sorry in advance, but from what I've seen from you talking about difficulty in games, it kinda seems like anything remotely the slightest bit difficult makes you upset at a game. Stuff like Pokemon Legends having a difficult Post-Game fight, or bringing up that you're glad that games like Elden Ring are adding easy modes, because games like Darksouls are too hard. It just feels like you're against games that don't present difficulty options and force you to learn how to play said game, or learn how to beat said fight.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg I just think it kinda boils down to what there targeted audience, Games like dead cells dread and sifu, want to cater to both, so there isn't a particular audience, But games like dead cells doesn't allow you to get the true ending without doing the normal or hard mode, Pretty much meaning they have a targeted audience.

Wile I do think games need to have easy modes. If a dev has a targeted audience, I don't really think its a issue, its how they wanted to make the game, and they have a player base that they want to play the game (Idk if Worded that right LOL).

I just don't really find it a problem, but I do understand it sucks if you like everything else about the game, but the game is hard.

Snatcher

@VoidofLight Kinda like how the SNES and the NES added the rewind mode? idk I just can't help myself with taping that button.

Edited on by Snatcher

VoidofLight

@Snatcher Yeah, like that. If the options there, it's going to tempt some people into using it, despite them ordinarily not wanting to.

Pizzamorg

VoidofLight wrote:

Eh, I just think if a game is meant to be hard, then it doesn't need an easy mode. If people don't want to spend the time to learn the mechanics, then oh well, that game isn't for them. If you find Dark Souls too hard, then just don't play it. If you find Hollow Knight to be too hard, then just don't play it, unless you're actually wanting to learn the mechanics.

Accessibility modes can be good for people who are with disabilities, but I just feel like adding an easy mode in some games will destroy the purpose of their existence.

Also, I get that yes, I don't personally have to play the easy mode, but at times, if it's present, it can be easy for me to fall into the trap of not learning how to play the game, and instead just switching to the mode where enemies barely hit you or do damage to you.

@Pizzamorg I don't mean to start an argument by saying this, so sorry in advance, but from what I've seen from you talking about difficulty in games, it kinda seems like anything remotely the slightest bit difficult makes you upset at a game. Stuff like Pokemon Legends having a difficult Post-Game fight, or bringing up that you're glad that games like Elden Ring are adding easy modes, because games like Darksouls are too hard. It just feels like you're against games that don't present difficulty options and force you to learn how to play said game, or learn how to beat said fight.

And to me, it just feels like you are one step away from gatekeeping media. I think that is real sad.

Snatcher

@VoidofLight I mean yeah, its there how can you not, I thought I was the only one that felt that way about it LOL.

@Pizzamorg Does it count as gatekeeping tho? Its not like its impossible to beat it, its not impossible to view the story if you want.

Losermagnet

Imo, hard games can be designed as thoughtfully and carefully as others it just depends on how the person playing it chooses to interact with the game. I think what most people don't realize with Soulsborne, for instance, is that seeking help from others is an element of the game's design and if you can eliminate the scenarios where you would need to ask for help by adjusting the difficulty down then the game changes and becomes something else. That is to say, if you don't like Dark Souls on it's standard difficulty level....you probably wouldn't like it on easy either. That design mentality is integrated into every aspect of the game, not just bosses. You're not told where to go, what you're doing, or even much story. The player has to choose to work for all of that. I-frames mean nothing.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

VoidofLight

@Pizzamorg It's not really Gatekeeping. It's just saying "Don't play it if you don't like these sorts of games". Different people will like different things, and you clearly don't enjoy games with harder difficulties, or games that even showcase challenge. Instead of expecting challenging games to change for you, or saying they're bad because they're hard, why not just play other games?

Edit: I don't enjoy overly easy games like Kirby, but I don't say "Kirby is bad because it's too easy! It needs a hard mode!". I just don't play Kirby.

Edited on by VoidofLight

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic