Forums

Topic: The Universal Games Ranking Forum (Currently: Characters/Weapons/etc. You Hate Playing Against)

Posts 341 to 360 of 494

Octane

Most of them are alright. I specifically enjoyed 64, Epic Yarn and Rainbow Curse though.

Octane

gcunit

MegaTen wrote:

You can imagine how much I am looking forward to the upcoming Switch title...

I'm not sure I can imagine - your post doesn't really let on one way or another particularly, but I'm guessing you are looking forward to it quite a lot, 'cos I am, and 'cos Kirby is irresistible. And 'cos of Buff Dedede

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

WarioIsTopTier

Guess who didn't do the thing he said he would because he may or may not have been playing CS:GO.

Probably not me.

Anyways, we're onto a new topic, here's how the poll went.

1st - Games You Like in Genres You Dislike (6 Votes - 40%)
2nd/3rd - 2D Sonic Games/Mainline Donkey Kong Games (3 Votes Each - 20% Each)
4th - Underpowered Characters/Things You Still Love Using (2 Votes - 13 %)
5th - Favourite Character Redesigns (1 Vote - 7%)

That's that then, Games You Like in Genres You Dislike is our new topic! I wasn't sure who to feel about this option at first, but I'm warming up to it, and I've a few decent ideas. I'll leave you guys with that for now, I'm a tad busy with homework at the moment, and I'll probably take some time tonight to play Killer Instinct now it's on Steam, so we'll see.

Either way, Happy Ranking!

WarioIsTopTier

Krull

I have only ever bought two racing games, because (for me) driving simulations are repetitive, dreary and the illusion of speed bears no comparison to the real thing (unless you're in a really cool hydraulic arcade cabinet).

The first honorable exception was Gran Turismo 3 on PS2 because a) it was pretty much the only decent game in the early days of the PS2 (and some Switch owners complain!) and b) the game has a really neat RPG-like progression system, as you win races to build up your cars. I am sure this system is everywhere now (I wouldn't know - I don't play driving games), but it was enough to help me enjoy GT3 back then.

The other exception is, obviously, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - it's a truism that even people who don't like racing games still like Mario Kart. That's true of me. I played and enjoyed the SNES and N64 versions quite a bit too. However, I have still put far fewer hours into MK8D than into Zelda, Splatoon 2, Shovel Knight and even Blaster Master Zero...

Apart from that, my tastes are pretty catholic. Don't buy FPS games much, but don't actively dislike and avoid the genre the same way I generally avoid driving games.

Edited on by Krull

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

GoldenGamer88

The only videogame genre I actively dislike and usually avoid are Strategy games, no matter if they're turn-based like Fire Emblem or Mario + Rabbids, or real time like Pikmin. When I sit down to play a game, I wanna have fun and let my mind go for a bit, not have to wreck my brain even harder playing strategy games. Despite this, I'm a fan of the following four games:

4. Pikmin 3: I'm a fan of the Pikmin series, they're rather basic RTS games with cute little critters who happen to live in a kill or be killed society. Though I enjoyed the game when I played it, it didn't leave a lasting impact on me unlike the first two.

3. Pikmin: The original Pikmin, one that is still fresh on my mind as I played through it a week ago. I remember feeling pretty stressed out due to the time limit back in the day (the lack of it in P2 is the main reason I like that one better). I've always felt a tad annoyed by the free-spirited Pikmin, as in 'No, stop pulling that grass!', 'Stop destroying that flower, we don't need it right now!', but it's fine if you avoid flowers and grass by a long shot.

2. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle: I am very surprised by this. VERY. The fact that, of all things in the universe, the Rabbids could make me play a turn-based Strategy game and enjoy it. Granted, I'm not yet done with the game thanks to my ever-lasting addiction to my daily dose of Splatoon 2 but I hope I will be by Odyssey's release. Overall, it's charming and funny with a surprisingly challenging difficulty, even with Easy Mode enabled.

1. Pikmin 2: The addition of a second playable character, the lack of a time limit, the introduction of caves, the abandonment of the Bomb Rocks, the less free-spirited Pikmin. Pikmin 2 is better than Pikmin 1 in every way imho.

Thinking about it, you could view this as my personal ranking of the Pikmin games I've played.

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

Oat

Mario Tennis Open: I dont like sports games at all but I was surprised to enjoy the pick up and play nature of this one

Steamworld Dig and Cave Story: Both of these are considered metroidavnias (arguably less so with Cave Story). I like these two because they have minimal backtracking and always give the feeling of making forward progress. There are almost no "metroid moments" in which I'm stuck wondering what the heck I need to do/get to progress

So zetta slow!
3DS Friend code : 0662-8265-1183
NNID: CaptainCharacter
Switch Friend code: SW-6964-7226-0016

Switch Friend Code: SW-6964-7226-0016 | 3DS Friend Code: 0662-8265-1183 | My Nintendo: Oat | Nintendo Network ID: CaptainCharacter

WarioIsTopTier

Right, I'll throw something out there on this. There aren't many genres I flat-out dislike, but there are a few 'sub-genres' I'm not a fan of, if that's what you'd call it.

1. Arena Fighters - Pokken Tournament - I get why some people like arena fighters cause they give you more ways to approach and mix-up the opponent, but I like my fighting games very traditional. I'm someone who wants to get his frame data, frame advantages and hitboxes learnt off, and that's just messy in these kinda games. Pokken is an exception in the case it's not entirely a arena fighter, but the Field Phase is great in Pokken in that it's a huge contrast to Duel Phase. Careful play in Field Phase rewards you with an advantageous position in Duel Phase, and that's when you get to play aggressively.

2. Puzzle - Puyo Puyo - Honestly, I'm really not a fan of most puzzle games. I never found them addicting at all, just always thought of them as mostly easy to make cash grabs. Personally though, Puyo is a massive exception to this rule, I dunno why, but I find it genuinely fun to come back to now and again. Maybe it's just cause I can actually do combos in this. Dunno.

3. Strategy - Worms - I have very little patience for strategy games, some people count sheep, read a book, or listen to relaxing music if they're having trouble sleeping, but personally I just grab the nearest Fire Emblem game and I'm out in 5 minutes flat. I was debating putting Mario + Rabbids here but I've mentioned how I've loved that already, so I went with my other exception, Worms. Worms 3D was one of my first games and I've probably pumped thousands of hours into it. Worms in general never feels boring to me, maybe because of the multiplayer focus, the lack of RNG, or the fact you can go pretty much wherever you want in the map, I'll always support the series and I'm very happy to see W.M.D come to the Switch, although I'd love a new 3D entry.

4. Team-Based Shooter - Team Fortress 2 - I'd say I'm in the minority in that I found TF2 after Overwatch, and my god the difference is night and day. Overwatch is a complete slog of a game with bursts of utter clusterf*ckery, and has quite possibly the worst fanbase of any game I've ever seen. I liked the game at first, but after about 120 hours I gave up completely. That's when I moved to TF2, and found it so much more fun. The game is much faster paced, more consistant, and it's just so much more laid back. Which game is more balanced is up for debate, but at least Valve can attempt to balance their own game and not just leaving it to their fans to decide what's balanced for them. Objectively, I guess OW is the better game, but TF2 is my go-to 'chill' game. Not a fan of other team-based shooters either, but CS:GO is becoming another exception, it's a lot of fun.

WarioIsTopTier

Octane

GoldenGamer88 wrote:

1. Pikmin 2: The addition of a second playable character, the lack of a time limit, the introduction of caves, the abandonment of the Bomb Rocks, the less free-spirited Pikmin. Pikmin 2 is better than Pikmin 1 in every way imho.

Those are pretty much all the reasons why Pikmin 2 is my least favourite game out of the three.

Octane

Ralizah

1) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Not really a fan of most open world games, but this one is a massive exception. Addresses most of my annoyances with the genre, mostly by shifting the focus of the genre from storytelling and NPC interaction to immersive exploration and environmental cohesion. But there are a million tiny things I appreciate about this game.

2) Splatoon 1/2: Generally hate all of the cooperative team-based shooters I've played, but these games are a lot of fun. The change in focus from racking up kills to inking your environment was inspired: skill and aggressive play are still massively rewarded, but it's accessible to almost everyone, as even a small child can pick up an ink roller and contribute to the team's victory. Also love the weird Nickelodeon meets 90's punk aesthetic it has going for it.

3) DOOM: Not a fan of most first person shooters, but DOOM is a lot of fun. Perfect focus on fluid and ultra-violent gameplay!

4) Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Does this count? I hate sports and sports-themed anything, but I actually really enjoyed this one.

5) Mario Kart [insert number or subtitle]: Don't really like racing games, but I enjoy this series.

CreamyDream wrote:

Is Dunkey's "Metroid Moments" gonna be a thing now?

Yes. At least until the next prominent figure memes something into existence for people to regurgitate over and over as if it were some obvious insight on their part.

Although, honestly, I've experienced way more of these so-called "Metroid moments" in old 3D Zelda games than I have in Metroid games. I feel like the winding, enclosed environments of Zebes and SR388 better support this sort of Metroidvanian design philosophy (where the game world is a web of interconnected locks) than Zelda's ostensibly more free and open environments.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

WarioIsTopTier

All this talk about 'Metroid Moments' just reminds me of when my friend who loved Splatoon 2 saw Dunkey's video where Dunkey said he didn't like the game and then suddenly he hated it.

Man, I love Dunkey as much as the next guy, but it does bug me a bit when people take his opinion as gospel or parrot what he says. I'd agree with him on 'Metroid Moments' being stupid, but I never found many of them.

WarioIsTopTier

Tyranexx

Clearly I've missed something in terms of a "Metroid moments" meme. I've never even heard of this Dunkey guy (though I stopped watching video game streamers a little while ago). I feel a little like that guy in Dewford Town who can't follow trends....

Currently playing: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Anti-Matter

I like Mario Kart games so much despite I have very Less or Completely Zero Interest with other Racing games, especially Super Duper Boring Realistic Racing games with No Items to smack my opponents. If the Racing games is NOT Mario Kart series, I Will NOT Buy it.

I have Zelda Breath of the Wild, first Zelda games that I ever have despite I have ZERO Experience and ZERO interest with other Zelda games. Only this title "Suddenly" caught my attention. Well, probably I will play it if I am in the mood for playing, not really Hyped.

I also have Portal Knights PS4 version. Right now, i'm so Hyped with this game. Before that, I REJECTED that game due to my disinterest about Blocky textures of Minecraft style. But, after I watched the gameplay from Youtube so many times, it grew my interest. After 3 months I played, it built my Hype to explore the Worlds inside Portal Knights. I wanna buy the Switch version so bad despite I still have some dislikeness about Minecraft ideas, but for Portal Knights the Blocky textures are just the grounds and buildings, similar with Dragon Quest Builder.

Anti-Matter

WarioIsTopTier

@Tyranexx Basically the story is the YouTuber VideoGameDunkey did a review of Metroid: Samus Returns and he had a section on why he wasn't a huge fan of 2D Metroid other than Zero Mission. He complained about criptic moments like having to bomb a tiny area of a room with no indication to progress and coined those moments 'Metroid Moments'. The video itself was great and gave it a 3/5 but of course loads of his fans took every word he said as gospel and now every remotely confusing thing in any game is a 'Metroid Moment'.

Also while I'm here I forgot to mention racing games, I used to never like them other than kart racers and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. SASR is kind of a hybrid of a normal racer and a kart racer, and it's a joy to play. It controls like a realistic racer but with a goofy trick system, awesome transformations and tracks more akin to a kart racer. It does have items which sometimes bothers me but they're done well here. The typical 'Hit Player in 1st' item, the Swarm, is actually genius. It's miles better than the classic Blue Shell in every way, and the rest of the items are all standard fare. With that said however, realistic racers are something I might get into sometime, Mario Kart has been managing to rub me the wrong way more than usual recently.

Edit: Just realized I said I'm not a fan of racing games in a world Fast RMX exists. I deserve the chair for this.

Edited on by WarioIsTopTier

WarioIsTopTier

kkslider5552000

As someone who still sees brainless ****wits repeat MatthewMatosis as the reason Bioshock Infinite sucks (when it clearly doesn't, simply by the standards of critically acclaimed video games), I totally get that. Srsly, I despise people whose only reasoning to hate something is someone else's opinion. It's the self-important version of those Portal fans who never shut up about cake. Awful awful awful.

Now, I don't actually dislike nearly any major genres AFAIK but there are times where I'm far more into a game than the genre its in so...

1. Animal Crossing - This is a weird one, and almost cheating since I don't think I would like it as much if I went back to it. But ironically, both for the genre and even the series, this is the only one I really loved. Even then I didn't play a whole year but I got 2/3 into a year. But yeah, the guy whose had kkslider as his internet name forever, is not that into Animal Crossing, except when I played the original. New Leaf is clearly the best game in the series, but even then, I only kinda enjoyed it and still found it boring quite a bit fo a time before giving up half a year in (about 50 or so hours in).
2. Hitman: Absolution - I suck at stealth games, and find them frustrating for obvious reasons. But this is the first Hitman game I've played and I really loved it. Despite having a lot of the frustration of the genre still in tact (at least if you want to get any decent score), it's the one game in the genre where I've constantly wanted to replay a level, either to simply try to not fail again, or to go through it in new ways. It does a great job at giving you reasons to want to try new ways to play it, and if you fail, you can at least have some catharsis and just kill everyone before restarting. If I had the time, I might've considered trying a 100% run.
3. Lone Survivor - As interesting as the genre can be, I have no interest in playing old school styled survival horror. Most of the genre, no matter how justified, just tends to end up being "IT HAS TO PLAY POORLY!" which is not for me. Also, I very rarely find horror to actually be scary, even the stuff everyone loves. But Lone Survivor took from one of the horror series I at least found really interesting in Silent Hill, and made it all 2D so that it has that sense of not quite right controls, but being limited by being 2d so it limits the frustration as well. A really great compromise.
4. Advance Wars 1/2/DS - All for the same reasons, so why not. I'm not the biggest fan of strategy games for similar reasons to stealth games. I can't stand replaying huge amounts of gameplay like that. The one big exception is Advance Wars. I don't get annoyed the same way I do elsewhere, even with some really long games. That being said, I can't say I dislike stategy games exactly, I just dislike the more frustrating of the genre. Which just happens to my experience with the genre, more often than not.
5. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - This one is lower for having less annoyances, at least for time. IIRC. But it does still have elements in the game that people really didn't like, which limit what you can do in some games. But, I rarely had a problem with it personally so...
6. Steamworld Heist - This one is even lower since it has very short matches. Honestly, it feels so much more designed to be a stategy game I would like, I question even putting it on here. But it is a strategy game I really loved, one of my favorite games in recent memory. In fact, barring Pikmin-like games (which are its own thing), these are I think the only strategy games I really love.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Tyranexx

Hmm...I see. It's a shame that people A. Can't appreciate that feeling you get when figuring out something that IS obscure (which IMO is part of the fun) and B. Take the biased feedback of a single source and treat it as gospel without consulting others. I haven't played Samus Returns yet, but from what I can tell it's a very solid game worthy of the Metroid brand.

Currently playing: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

RR529

Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle (Mobile F2P) - I've been playing this since it came out 2 years ago, and never tire of it. There are times when I'm more into it or less into it, but I always check in once a day and do something. I occasionally drop a buck or two into it every few months (if I have leftover Google Play funds from something else), but I've pretty much played free and do very well (recently obtained my first LR rarity character, which I'm really excited about). Of course it helps that I'm a big fan of the series.

Arcade Tennis games (Sports) - Never been into sports games (though I'm trying to change that), but I love me some arcade tennis action. Played lots of Mario Tennis back on the N64, & Family Tennis on 3DS. I also remember really liking the demo for the 3DS Mario Golf game, so maybe I should check that out...

Picross (Puzzle) - I generally don't care for puzzle games, but I can't get enough Picross, which I first fell in love with after playing Mario's Picross on 3DS.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

spizzamarozzi

The most notable for me would be Shenmue (both episodes). There's three things I really hate in videogames - heavy story, aimless wandering and jet-packs - and Shenmue has at least two out of these three things. But I didn't just like it, it eventually became one of my favourite videogames ever, if not my absolute favourite because I associate it with my late teens, my youth etc - a magical time.
I don't know why I could like a game so heavily based on story back then - guess I was young and didn't feel bad about wasting time.

Oddly enough, I have never re-played and have never watched people playing it on youtube. Can't wait for Shenmue III - it's the single game which is going to determine what console I'm going to go for this generation.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

RR529

Man, I know this would have quite a hill to climb, but what about Favorite Pinball Tables/Games as a suggestion for the next poll?

To make it accessible as possible, real tables (& TPA recreations), Zen tables, and even pinball themed video games (Sonic Spinball, Kirby's Pinball Land, etc.) would all be permissible.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

CreamyDream wrote:

I'd honestly say that even Mario games that have more obtuse stuff than Super Metroid (like 64, Sunshine, and Super Mario World).

I can't tell you how much I hated the ghost houses in SMW.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.