Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 901 to 920 of 1,108

Henmii

The Mandalorian is great, but in all honesty its mostly style over substance (and some fan-service). Storywise its pretty flimsy, but its still a joy to watch. I will watch the finale tonight.

But about all the Star wars projects in the pipeline: It sounds like they are milking the franchise completely dry, though in all honesty they are all future projects and probably won't be dropped all at the same time. Besides they all have different people working on them wich might keep things fresh. Ahsoka could be fun, as could be the Obi wan mini-series. Andor is something we don't really need. I mean is there that much love for Andor and K2, I think not. And the bad batch: Yeah, that's just another batch of Clone wars. As for the movies: I am more interested in the future trilogy then in Rogue squadron. I mean, what will Rogue squadron be about? Will it just follow the plot of the last Rogue squadron game, or will it be more Top gun in space? Maybe great action, but I also need some kind of story.

Henmii

Dezzy

Henmii wrote:

But about all the Star wars projects in the pipeline: It sounds like they are milking the franchise completely dry, though in all honesty they are all future projects and probably won't be dropped all at the same time. Besides they all have different people working on them wich might keep things fresh.

I genuinely think they're expecting quite a few of them to only get 1 season or 1 movie. It's a smart tactic when they suck at understanding the audience's preferences. Just make a bit of everything and let the audience decide which succeeds and fails.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

jump

It's pretty obvious Disney are just using Star Wars to bolster their boxset output on Disney+ rather than they are not sure what the audience wants. Most of them look like they are using the tone/style of The Mandalorian by having the same showrunners.

There's a severe lack of big profile tv shows on Disney+ worth watching and boxset binging is the first thing I think of with streaming so this is just an easiest way to solve it. Initially I wasn't going to get Disney+ until Mandalorian and the Marvel shows had started coming out but I ended up getting it free thanks to phone contract freebie. Tbh I'm glad I didn't pay for it as after going through the classics movies in the first few weeks there's not much to watch. I was looking forward to watching Young Indiana Jones as I had only watched an odd episode here and there but that's not even on there. I'm surprised with them buying Fox they didn't put a loads of those show on there to fill out those gaps.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Dezzy

jump wrote:

Most of them look like they are using the tone/style of The Mandalorian by having the same showrunners.

Sounds good to me. I've still not watched it all, but from the few episodes I've seen so far, Mandalorian is by far the closest thing we've had to the original trilogy.

jump

@Dezzy To be honest it reminds me more of old skool samurai and western films than it does Star Wars.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Octane

@Dezzy I'm kinda surprised you hadn't watched The Mandalorian yet. Shame you spoiled yourself

But yeah, it's been one of the better SW things to come out of Disney, along with Rogue One. Knowing Jon Favreau is behind The Book of Boba Fett, I'm looking forward to that as well.

@jump Thematically you're right, but there's a budget-y feel about the Mandalorian that kinda matches the Star Wars film. It fits the universe better than the prequel and sequel trilogies.

Octane

Dezzy

@Octane

Yeah well I'd kinda decided I was done with it. The sequel trilogy was just so far away from what I wanted out of Star Wars, that I just thought Disney would never really "get it" and it would be better to just forget about it and move onto other stuff.

I can't resist checking it out when old characters make cameos though.

jump

Given how big Star Wars is I'd be worried if there wasn't backlash about things, even with The Mandalorian I see people complaining about how Baby Yoda is ruining it. I mean literally the guy that created Star Wars wasn't able to create something Star Warsy enough to keep fans happy.

As side from the last one & Solo which were pish I actually really like Disney's output of Star Wars more so than the original movies which I like but never loved. Maybe it was because they were out before I was born but I found the originals very clunky with it's dialogue & characters and the set pieces were kinda boring like the duel between Vader and Obi Wan to truly capture my imagination the same way other things did when I was a kid. Then again I always thought the best thing from Lucasfilm was Indiana Jones.

Nicolai wrote:

Dezzy

Baby Yoda is an infinitely better approach to comic relief than the annoying Marvel-style jokes they included in the sequel trilogy when they were trying to lighten things up. Poe telling a "your mum" joke during a battle completely breaks down the pretense that you're seeing a serious story, because it's so obvious he's doing it for the audience.

jump

@Dezzy The general complaints I see about Baby Yoda is more of how he's a cheap trick to get you to care about him as well as being an overdone cutesy mascot. I don't really agree with that as I just see it as Sci-Fi Lone Wolf and Cub.

I don't really have an issue with the Your Mum joke myself, not a huge laugh or a deal breaker for me but it does beat the humour of Jar Jar Binks and the C3P0 from the old films. The funniest moment from all of the Star Wars to me is from The Last Jedi though when Luke tricks Rey into feeling the force with a leaf.

Nicolai wrote:

Goat_FromBOTW

LAST CHRISTMAS, I GAVE YOU MY HEART BUT THE VERY NEXT DAY YOU THREW IT AWAYYYYY SO THIS YEAR TO SAVE ME THE TEARS, I'LL GIVE IT SOMEONE SPECIAL!!!!!!!!

You know what they say. All toasters, toast, toast!

Henmii

@ToadBrigade,

I agree that the last 4 episodes of the Clone wars where great, but I can't see Bad batch matching that story wise. As for the Mandalorian finally: I found it a bit anti-climactic. Sure there where some cool action scenes, including the one at the end (no spoilers here), but storywise it was very thin. Baby Yoda is delivered and that's it! We haven't learned much about Moth Gideon's plans, and the series look to be over anyway. And we might never see baby Yoda again. From the looks and sounds of it Boba Fett just takes over. The whole story seems a bit pointless.

Henmii

jump

@Henmii I disagree with he story being over. Beside them already conforming there's a season 3 there's clearly more to come with plot threads like Moff Gideon, the Darksaber and the promise from Mando to Baby Yoda still left to cover.

Nicolai wrote:

Cotillion

@Henmii They are going their separate ways. Fett is getting his own show and Mandalorian is continuing on with season 3. This was all confirmed by Favreau on Monday.
The Mandalorian is far from done, as you pointed out, there's a bunch of plot threads to resolve yet. It looks like Mando is going to join the other Mandalorians in their quest to retake Mandalore. At the very least there's issues to be resolved between Bo Katan and Mando for the Darksaber. Then there's the Moff Gideon plan, which I'm sure will continue as well since he got the blood he needed.

Parts of Season 2 of the Mandalorian were obviously meant to serve as a jump point for other series and media that this part of the timeline is going to be used for. Ahsoka is also getting her own show set in this time period. Her name dropping Grand Admiral Thrawn with no context whatsoever in that episode could only have been to set him up as the antagonist in her show.

@Octane Budget-y is no joke. Wasn't it like $15mil per episode? I think the big thing about why it actually feels more like the original trilogy is the extensive use of practical props, costumes and sets instead of relying more heavily on CG.

Cotillion

Tasuki

I just finished The Mandalorian. OMFG. I don't get emotional too much when watching shows but OMG I got choked up during that last episode. Won't go into details here. But for me The Mandalorian is the true sequel to Episode 6. ***** the trainwreck that 7,8, and 9 are.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Octane

@Shadowthrone There's probably way more CGI than you realise. But the blatant use of actual props, combined with very good CGI makes it hard to notice, since you tend to focus more on the "awkward" movements of the props.

The only CGI you generally notice is bad CGI.

Octane

Cotillion

@Octane Oh yeah, there's a lot of CGI, but you can see in the behind the scenes show how much practical there was. Like I has no idea there was actually a physical model of the Razor Crest for some shots.
I think they found a good balance between both CGI and practical for this show.

Cotillion

gcunit

I'd tried to watch episode 1 of The Mandolorian about 4 times and fallen asleep every time - it's really dull (but saved by the last 15 minutes I finally found out).

When I heard whisper of the finale of Season 2 I decided to make myself watch all episodes.

Season 1 seemed better than Season 2. Season 2 has some obvious filler in it (that spiders episode was annoying to sit through) and seemed to rely too heavily on OG character drops. And the S2 finale that pushed me over the line into watching the series was a big disappointment. As 'Luke' moved through the ship it didn't look like the way Luke would move (whereas they got Vader's movements down right in Rogue One), and when he dropped his hood... OMG, the worst deep fake so far, and he hardly said anything - nothing that made it worthwhile having Luke be in that scene.

The Disney Damage-Limitation machine seems to be in full swing and I suspect it is that that is behind much of the hype The Mandolorian is getting.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

pikku

Idk, I seem to be the only one who wasn't deeply disgusted by Luke at the end of S2.
Sure, it wasn't exactly like him, but I've played enough of the Jedi Knight series to have some suspension of disbelief when it comes to faces and stuff like that, lol. I honestly thought it was leaps and bounds above Tarkin and General Leia, haha!

Edited on by pikku

pikku

3DS Friend Code: 1891-1165-2008 | Nintendo Network ID: pikmaniac

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic