Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 101 to 120 of 1,108

RR529

Oh, if anyone is interested, the Star Wars: the Clone Wars animated series airs at 2:00 A.M. Saturday nights (well, technically Sunday mornings, but wahatever) on Toonami.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

PanicPuppet

As much as I love Dexter and Samurai Jack, Tartakovsky's overall approach to Star Wars wasn't very true to the films IMO. Seeing Yoda ride an alien horse, a bounty hunter and Obi-Wan joust on speeder bikes, Mace Windu jump on a Vulture Droid and rewire its circuits (with his bare hands!) to fly it himself, among other things. It was all TOO literal with "wizards in space", and the believability as to what Jedi are capable of.

Probably the best part of the series was the Grievous arc; all the tension and stress the Jedi go through evading and fighting him, was genuinely gripping to watch.

@Mickey That was something Lucas should've expanded on in both II and III; their friendship. Hearing Obi-Wan in IV say "and he was a good friend." makes me think that they really were. But we mostly see them argue and fight throughout the PT, with maybe less than a half-hour total of real bonding and such.

I guess The Clone Wars sorta helped fix that, but even in that they mainly bantered and made sarcastic remarks with one another, rarely showing any real signs of friendship.

PanicPuppet

Mickey

@Austroid The way I see it: by The Clone Wars, they were already close friends. They did most of their bonding during Anakin's training in-between Episodes I-II. They only got antagonistic when Padme went back into Anakin's life. You're spot-on about them arguing throughout the PT though. That was sort of weak. But, like I said before, their relationship seemed to have the teensiest bit of an improvement after the microseries in Episode III. For instance: check out this [unfortunately] deleted scene from Ep. 3:

Honestly, if we had more of that, we wouldn't be discussing this. XD

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

shingi_70

lol at Y'all being afrarid rebels is going to suck when its the clone wars team plus greg wiseman working on one of the most intresting points in Star Wars History.

I'm just wondering when Marvel is going to get the lisence for the comcis back. I think its sometime next year.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

shingi_70

My only real fear of Star Wars rebels is that jedi and Sith running around everywhere, The concept art looks good though.
Untitled

I do hope the show explains why the Jedi Orde and the republic are all but forgtten by the time a new hope starts.

Star Wars is probably one of my favorite properties to the extent I've read a few of the expanded universe books as well. It's going to be a bit funny that Star Wars will probably have a Live Action Tv series out before star trek ever does.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

RR529

Mickey wrote:

True story: in a Star Wars presentation, James Arnold Taylor (voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi in basically everything other than the actual movies) asked "what would you know me from? Well..." and he just sidetracks the entire Star Wars presentation by listing off almost every VA role he's ever played including roles that weren't even from Star Wars DURING A STAR WARS PANEL. XD

I lost almost all of my respect for him right then and there and I'd tell you he was an idiot that should be ignored if he didn't (immediately afterward) have such inspiring things to say about Voice-Acting and getting into Voice-Acting. He's almost like Yoda if Yoda took breaks in-between teaching Luke about The Force to brag about how he "totally pwned" Count Dooku and countless other Sith.

Seeing as how it was a Star Wars event, did you ever consider that maybe he figured the audience would already be aware of that role, thus he had no reason to mention it?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Mickey

@RR529 I said "including" roles that weren't even from Star Wars. He started off by saying he was the voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Plo Koon and then (speaking of things he had no reason to mention) he started mentioning the other non-Star Wars roles he played. I'm sorry, I should've said "including (but not limited to)" to be more clear.

Edited on by Mickey

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

PanicPuppet

Mickey wrote:

The way I see it: by The Clone Wars, they were already close friends. They did most of their bonding during Anakin's training in-between Episodes I-II. They only got antagonistic when Padme went back into Anakin's life. You're spot-on about them arguing throughout the PT though. That was sort of weak. But, like I said before, their relationship seemed to have the teensiest bit of an improvement after the microseries in Episode III. For instance: check out this [unfortunately] deleted scene from Ep. 3:

Honestly, if we had more of that, we wouldn't be discussing this. XD

Yeah I really liked that deleted scene, it still baffles me why they didn't keep it in. You can defiantly sense an authentic bond between them here; with their subtle "signals" to each other about what to do, its almost as if they're... good friends!

Also having Grievous kill Shaak Ti (instead of "saving" her for TFU game) gives him more of a menacing presence, than the constantly-gagging halfwit he mainly was in the CG Clone Wars.

Edited on by PanicPuppet

PanicPuppet

shingi_70

Aww yeah John Boyega.

The expanded universe is no more, and from hear on out all media is cannon and they have a team to ensure it. The four books in the new star wars universe were announced as well.

WAT!

Ryno

I didn't even know they were going to make an Epsiode VII. But I'm glad to see that the orignal cast will be back as well. Hans Solo is my favorite movie character of all time. But Where's Lando?

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

DinoFett

Any new movie from Episode 7 and beyond is now 'Alternate Universe' in my opinion.
Disney has to prove themselves before I start spending any money as I did when LucasFilm was still independant.
Celebration in Anaheim in 2015 will make my decision,Bought my tickets last year for this event which will make this my third celebration
I skipped celebration 6, Florida is just too much to handle in the summer.

DinoFett

Henmii

I am skeptical on the whole matter. On one hand its cool that the old cast is back. But on the other hand: Won't Disney rely to much on nostalgia with this? Can Mark Hamill and Carrie Fischer still act? I mean, Mark is only doing voice-acting nowadays and Carrie Fischer is totally out of the acting business as far as I know! And the return of Marian Ravenwood in Indiana Jones 4 wasn't particulary a succes in my opinion! Not that you need mad actingskills for Starwars, but still. Though the rumor is that the old cast gets a sendoff in Episode 7, and from there its all about their kids!

As for the new cast members: I don't know any of them, minus Andy Serkis. His inclusion is very intriguing. Since he's the motion-capture guy most certainly he will do a cool alien that may be important in the overall story. Really curious on what it will be!

I know there are a lot of people that fear Disney will screw up, but remember that Avengers was pretty good received by the fans, and there's also a lot of praise for the new Startreks wich where also made by JJ Abrahms! Besides, if it would still have been in George Lucas his hands then there wouldn't be new movies! I have hope! Its easier for me to have hope since I did like the prequels! As long as it doesn't dip below it, I am happy!

Henmii

DinoFett

The Disney corporation is now 'Expanded Universe' and is to be ignored.

DinoFett

shingi_70

Well now there really isn't an expanded universe since everything going forward will be considered cannon.

The covers for the first Disney Universe novels.
Untitled

WAT!

PanicPuppet

shingi_70 wrote:

Well now there really isn't an expanded universe since everything going forward will be considered cannon.

The covers for the first Disney Universe novels.
Untitled

I've never really been into book-reading when it comes to SW; besides the movie adaptions and a few EU novels here and there. But these look pretty interesting.

Edited on by PanicPuppet

PanicPuppet

shingi_70

Yeah I read a few books bit I think I'll be diving I to all this stuff.

The descriptions of each book.

Star Wars New Dawn

Our very first official canon novel set solidly in the legendary "Dark Times" between Episodes III and IV, A NEW DAWN will introduce readers to two main characters from the upcoming Star Wars: Rebels animated series—Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla—and will feature jacket art by Doug Wheatley, as well as a foreword by Dave Filoni, one of the executive producers of The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels. It goes on sale September 2, 2014.

Star Wars Tarkin

In our second upcoming novel created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, bestselling Star Wars veteran James Luceno gives Tarkin the Darth Plagueis treatment, bringing a legendary character from A New Hope to full, fascinating life. Coming November 4, 2014. Jacket art by David Smit.

Star Wars Heir to the Jedi

A thrilling new adventure set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, and—for the first time ever—written entirely from Luke Skywalker's first-person point of view. Created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group. Coming January 2015. Jacket art by Larry Rostant.

Star Wars Lord of Sigh
[quote]When the Emperor and his notorious apprentice, Darth Vader, find themselves stranded in the middle of insurgent action on an inhospitable planet, they must rely solely on each other, the Force, and their awesome martial skills to prevail. Created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group. Coming March 2015. Jacket art by Aaron McBrid[/Quote]

Disney/Lucasarts are digging heavily into the time period between Revenge and New Hope. Expect all the non film stuff to flesh that out until after VII comes out where we see more stuff set between Return and the new movie.

Speaking of which the Trailer for Star Wars rebels came out on Sunday.

Seems to be pulling heavily from the tone of not only.clone wars but its really inspired by a new hope. They also seem to pushing the fact that Yoda/Obi-wan weren't the only two Jedi alive. You have the Guy in the trailer and we know the blue haired MC is going to get a light saber from promo matieral. Guessing they're going to use this to explain how the New Jedi order got so big. It's one of the reason s I'm guessing Askoha and other like Ventress weren't killed in the clone wars series.

WAT!

iKhan

I'm hyped as hell for Star Wars: Rebels. No seriously, I've never been more hyped for a cartoon in my life. Not only does the animation style look incredible and it seems to be taking the darker tone of Revenge of the Sith, it's helmed in part by the literal king of animation, Greg Weisman. In other words, the man who created my two favorite animated series of all time, Spectacular Spider-man and Young Justice.

Also, given the status of Weisman's previous work, I'm almost sure this will be cancelled in 2-3 years.

@shingi_70, can we change the name of this thread to something more official like "Everything Star Wars" or "Star Wars General Discussion"? It took quite a few searches to find this thread, and the key word that worked wasn't the most well known.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Henmii

Haven't seen the Rebels premiere yet, but what bothers me quite a lot is that the Light-sabers look so skinny! Like they are just very long tooth-picks. I really hope that the upcoming movies have " more fat" Light-sabers.

Henmii

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic