Forums

Topic: The Game Awards 2019

Posts 61 to 80 of 140

Dezzy

@XenoKidRex

I guess it's possible they would deny something just so it remains a surprise.

Can't imagine Nintendo really doing that though. I don't remember the 3DS reveal at all.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

GeoChrome

@Dezzy They didn’t deny the game’s existence, they just said “we do not have any plans to announce SS at this time”. This is supposed to be vague and neither confirms nor denies the development of SS HD.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

Dezzy

@PolarExperience

If they'd said "no plans to announce" I'd agree that's deliberately ambiguous wording that might indicate it.

But they actually said "At this time we have no plans to release The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword on Nintendo Switch"

So if they are developing it, this statement was a lie, rather than just deliberately vague PR speak.

Laoak

At least Fortnite isn't in GOTY or I would literally throw my laptop in annoyance and and erm… xD

{funny quote here}

GeoChrome

@Dezzy Didn’t double check the article before typing. Thanks for the clarification, I’m not really familiar with SS because at that point in my life I was barely able to play Mario Galaxy, so it’s not a big deal. Regarding how they dismissed the 3DS release, I think they only did that to make it a surprise, as you previously said. The reveal was pretty over the top, so unless SS HD has some kind of revolutionary feature, we probably won’t see it for a little while.

Edited on by GeoChrome

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

redd214

Looks like Rocksteady won't be there and perhaps their next game isn't Superman

redd214

Grumblevolcano

Teaser for Thursday:

There's a lot of Smash Ultimate in the teaser, first fighter pass character announced maybe?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano I hope it won’t be just Smash character DLC reveals, that would be rather disappointing especially for someone not really interested in the game like myself. But then again, I’m not the audience Nintendo would be targeting at this “show”.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

MsJubilee

What a terribly cringy teaser. I don't know why people still watch this.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

kkslider5552000

I love that so much. Like at the time some humorless weirdos were OFFENDED by him saying that, but it was one of the only parts where it felt like a thing had even happened.

That is really what annoys me about the Game Awards. I kinda wish it would either be an award show worth taking seriously, or be hilarious and fun, but it's neither so I don't know why people bother watching the whole thing. Like there's usually a couple of cool announcements, a couple of good or funny things and the Industry Icon Award. And that's 10% of a 3+ hour event.

And while the Oscars are garbage (and any animation fan in particular should agree tbh), they're at least a thing people take seriously. None of the Game Awards matter to anyone, there is no value to anyone winning. If you win game of the year at a random gaming site, it means as much really. And arguably more, I remember the reaction when ALBW won for Gamespot that one year. I don't know why anyone cared, but people did apparently!

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

FragRed

@kkslider5552000 I think people take it seriously because it gives them ammoniation to argue about why their console of choice is so much better than everyone else's. Basically, if it doesn't get an award it must be a crap game and you can't ever be allowed to like it or the console it is on.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@kkslider5552000 Well it's about the announcements, they're timed such that to catch them you kind of need to watch the whole thing. I'd guess given Nintendo is kind of lacking in the nominations section this year and Smash Ultimate will be unlocked during the event they'll have announcements throughout. So like if there were 3 reveals it would be spaced like:
30 minutes in - Announcement 1
1 hour 15 minutes in - Announcement 2
2 hours 30 minutes in - Announcement 3

Don't know how long it is this year but last year was 3 hours.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

kkslider5552000 wrote:

And while the Oscars are garbage (and any animation fan in particular should agree tbh), they're at least a thing people take seriously. None of the Game Awards matter to anyone, there is no value to anyone winning. If you win game of the year at a random gaming site, it means as much really. And arguably more, I remember the reaction when ALBW won for Gamespot that one year. I don't know why anyone cared, but people did apparently!

I don't see that at all. I think the only difference in reputation is based on how long they've been going. The Oscars is very old. The Game Awards are very new.

But awards shows in the games industry tend to match the general audience opinion WAY more than they do in hollywood. The last "best picture" oscar winner I actually watched was The King's Speech back in 2010. I could tell you almost nothing about each of the films that won it since then.
Whereas the Game Awards winners, I've played about 3/4 of them.

You can tell this is true by the fact that they tried to introduce a "Best Popular Film" category for the oscars, because they realised more and more people don't care which film wins.

Edited on by Dezzy

kkslider5552000

I mean, award ceremonies in general I think are taken less and less seriously, but even as someone who doesn't pay super close attention to movies, it's abundantly clear that people care about who wins an Oscar or not. I'd be hard pressed to name anyone who seriously cared about a game award, barring maybe newer indie devs of like 5 people who are shocked to be appreciated at a ceremony filled with vastly more well known titles, after years of being known by almost no one.

Like the Grammys are a joke and they're more credible than the Game Awards. And I'd be fine with that, if the shows were more fun. But after what I thought was a semi-decent first one in 2014, I think they've become more boring each year. Literally, all I remember of last year's was **** the Oscars, a couple of trailers, Carol Shaw and the musical montage leading to the GOTY nominees. I'd love to be wrong, but I'm certain it will be the same. And quite frankly, it's just not a show I see even getting enough attention for it to matter.

Octane

It's 3am or whatever it is over here, so I won't be staying up. I'll watch it the next day, it allows me to watch the entire thing in an hour or so. Just skip the boring parts!

Octane

Dezzy

kkslider5552000 wrote:

it's abundantly clear that people care about who wins an Oscar or not.

I think that's mostly based on the sense that they've been historically regarded as a big deal and they're used as a big status symbol for actors.
But I don't think people care that much about which film actually wins it.
This has changed a lot in the last decade though. They've become more and more stuck in their bubble recently. They used to focus more popular films than they do now.

kkslider5552000

Close to three hours later, my cynicism was proven mostly correct. Most of this is so boooooring, why would anyone watch this? Just go to your local gaming site to hear about the highlights later. Every other thing is an ad, sometimes for games nominated, how do you take this seriously? Like come on!

Joeynator3000

And people said Smash news would happen, or Bayo 3...or Prime 4...lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Sorry, this topic has been locked.