Forums

Topic: The Game Awards 2019

Posts 81 to 100 of 140

redd214

I'm enjoying it personally. Not the most entertaining thing I've ever seen but it's been good so far

redd214

Joeynator3000

Eh, it wasn't exciting, though.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

redd214

GOW!!!! So well deserved, awesome!

redd214

kkslider5552000

For the record, this could've been nothing but trailers for games that excite me and most of the rest of the show still would've sucked. Again, there were some cool things but for how long this is, it's just not a good enough show.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Dezzy

Yeah that was rather disappointing. Nothing interesting from Nintendo at all. Would another Fire Emblem trailer really have been so hard?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Joeynator3000

They gave Smash too much love...I wasn't expecting anything big, but...Bayonetta 3 trailer? Prime 4?....Nope, a new character in Smash that I don't care about. We don't even see gameplay, lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Dezzy

Reggie had a Metroid thingy (is it Ridley?) on his t-shirt.

He did that quite recently at another event. I'm not sure if this kind of teasing is supposed to be useful when we already know Prime 4 is coming.

This is the kind of thing you do when it hasn't been announced yet. Like they did really well with Majoras Mask 3D.

Edited on by Dezzy

GeoChrome

@Sanya_Claus Even though you might not care about Joker, he seems very interesting to me and proves that Nintendo is not only picking 1st party characters.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

Cobalt

2018, what a great year on Nintendo Switch...
Untitled

Cobalt

Dezzy

@Cobalt

2019 will probably be pretty damn good though.

Captain_Toad

I just struggled to stay awake from the three hour thing, if it wasn't for the chat and smash coming up.

Next year needs to be the perfect length without things being cut and have more energy especially at the late hours. (Poor Thomas.)

Edited on by Captain_Toad

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

RR529

The most exciting announcement was Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 by far. Nothing else really caught my attention, except for maybe The Pathless.

Though in general I'm that odd guy who thinks they should cut back on the announcements & focus more on the awards themselves (Cut down the eSports & "trending gamer" type awards by 90% too). Between events like E3, TGS, Gamescom, and platform specific events like Directs & PS Experience there's already more than enough opportunities throughout the year to announce games.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

GeoChrome

@RR529 eSports and game announcements are what attract viewers. Most that watch expect new and cool announcements to be shown and for eSports to be highlighted, without those viewers TGA would eventually fail.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

RR529

PolarExperience wrote:

@RR529 eSports and game announcements are what attract viewers. Most that watch expect new and cool announcements to be shown and for eSports to be highlighted, without those viewers TGA would eventually fail.

• No doubt there should be some eSports awards (at least a player award), but most of what they had seemed unnesessary, like best coach & best event (the last one is particularly baffling. It'd be like if a sports awards ceremony put out an award pitting the World Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, & Daytona 500 against each other). Maybe they just need to come up with better awards for this category, like best fighting game player, best FPS player, best DOTA player, best overall team, & overall player.
  • As for the announcements, why would TGA need them to survive if the Academy Awards, Golden Globes, Grammies, etc. don't need similar reveals for their respective mediums? If gamers want gaming to be seen as a legit artistic medium they need to have an event like this that doesn't come off as just another 3 hour long commercial for what's to come (then again, the whole eSports scene runs counter to the idea that games are an art, but that's a discussion for another time).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Grumblevolcano

I only watch for the announcements and generally Nintendo's had a good showing. This year was bad as it pretty much showed the same message as E3, Smash is all Nintendo has.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

RR529

subpopz wrote:

If they want this to become viewed as a legit artistic medium, that needs to go. The Oscars don't put obnoxious movie reviewers from youtube front and center giving out awards and doing presentations. Focus on the achievements of the games and game makers, not the shenanigans of the people playing them.

Yeah, gaming is in a weird place where it's spawned two distinct cultures that run counter to each other (one where it's evolving into a storytelling medium alongside literature & film, and another, eSports, where it's going hard back to a modern version of the competitive high score chasing it spawned from), and while they both may be legitimate evolutions of the medium, people who may be interested in one facet of gaming, may have absolutely no interest in the other (a conundrum that neither film, music, literature, or even traditional sports have).

I think their best bet may be to realize that eSports & games as an art are at odds and have separate dedicated events for both cultures.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

kkslider5552000

subpopz wrote:

If they want this to become viewed as a legit artistic medium, that needs to go. The Oscars don't put obnoxious movie reviewers from youtube front and center giving out awards and doing presentations. Focus on the achievements of the games and game makers, not the shenanigans of the people playing them.

I do agree, but let's not pretend other award shows haven't had obnoxious people front and center. They're just a less amateur type of obnoxious.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano Given the reaction, we were wrong and Nintendo was right: Smash and Pokemon were all Nintendo needed. Though next year will be lopsided and packed with like 3 years worth of exclusives.

@subpopz It's like you've never even watched the Golden Globes..........

NEStalgia

Sorry, this topic has been locked.