Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 62,821 to 62,840 of 96,597

Tasuki

@NeonPizza Other then gaming my other big hobby was D&D back when I was in Junior High and High school. In fact when the PS and N64 era came about I was more focused and dialed into D&D, playing it and running adventures for my friends, which is why my interest for the N64 and Playstation ain't as high as say the NES or SNES.

However with crap like Strange Things D&D forums and such are beginning to feel like here. Instead of people talking about the older D&D it's stupid ass Stranger Things being talked about. I guess I just can't win when it comes to things I enjoy.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tasuki

@Maxenmus Thanks for the advice. I will admit, I don't really try to get into newer games like Xenoblade mainly cause I just don't have the time to play like that. I did try Splatoon years ago and just couldn't get into it.

As for Nightmare on Elm Street 3, I will call @NeonPizza in here It's one of my favorite horror movies as well, in fact if I remember correctly the NES game was based off of it.

My Backlog

Snatcher

@NeonPizza that actually looks fun!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

Tasuki

@NeonPizza And that why I don't care for Stranger Things, cause they don't so anything original they just take stuff and make it a complete joke. They took one of the greatest D&D villains of all time and made him a completely joke to the point that even if I want to use him in a D&D adventure the first thing people are going to think of is Stranger Things.

Today at work I was wearing a Metallica t-shirt which is my favorite band of all time, I grew up listening to them and their music just struck a chord with me (no pun intended) . Even the song my wife and I did our first dance to was Nothing Else Matters on our wedding day. Anyway I was wearing my shirt and this young kid about in his twenties said hey that's a cool shirt and I said thanks and he asked me what my favorite episode of Stranger Things was. Not what my favorite Metallica song was, not anything else Metallica related. At that point I was like get out-of my face.

My Backlog

Snatcher

@NeonPizza Ikr? It would be a Dream

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

I’m very much alive!

Maxenmus

Tasuki wrote:

And that why I don't care for Stranger Things, cause they don't so anything original they just take stuff and make it a complete joke. They took one of the greatest D&D villains of all time and made him a completely joke to the point that even if I want to use him in a D&D adventure the first thing people are going to think of is Stranger Things.

Today at work I was wearing a Metallica t-shirt which is my favorite band of all time, I grew up listening to them and their music just struck a chord with me (no pun intended) . Even the song my wife and I did our first dance to was Nothing Else Matters on our wedding day. Anyway I was wearing my shirt and this young kid about in his twenties said hey that's a cool shirt and I said thanks and he asked me what my favorite episode of Stranger Things was. Not what my favorite Metallica song was, not anything else Metallica related. At that point I was like get out-of my face.

Ugh, I understand that feeling so much, even if my experience is non-Metallica and D&D related. It's how capitalism works, unfortunately, older things you love becoming associated with newer things you hate or don't have interest in. For example, I loved reading those Spider-Man comics in my 20s that I've read almost every single one of them up till the Dan Slott Spider-Verse era. But if I go to a Spider-Man forum or wear a Spidey shirt, people will ask me something Tom Holland related, what my favorite MCU Spider-Man film is, blah blah blah. Get out of my face indeed; I don't like the MCU Spider-Man.

But that's how it works. Our favorite things will be repackaged to appeal to a newer generation. It's not even about how new things are automatically bad, but more about taking someone's old favorite things and distorting it and mangling it into something entirely unrecognizable by us. And all that's left for us to do is to abandon the hobby/franchise and find something else that could connect with us, but it's hard to do that when so many things are just remakes/repackaging of our old favorite things (except distorted and mangled), reminding us further how disconnected we are from the modern generation. Don't you guys have any originality?

It's all rather depressing. I haven't been a Spider-Man fan for years now because I felt like my time as a fan has ended, and I could no longer enjoy the things kids these days like. So I moved on, searched for better things, other things to be passionate about. It's not easy to switch interests or hobbies, but I do feel with enough time, it might be possible. I wasn't an SMT fan, for example, until recently. Life's funny that way, offering you another new door when one closes.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

blindsquirrel

@Snatcher
Yeah, I figured they were but I thought it was worth a shot to check. Honestly if it weren’t for poison ivy then the first game would be fine. But I have personal reasons for that being a turn off.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

blindsquirrel

@Kermit1
Maybe they will make one in the future. Eh, at the end of the day it is just a game. If I want my Batman fix I will just watch the dark knight movies. Thanks for the help though.

blindsquirrel

@Tasuki
I actually remember that on the ds. It was a pretty fun one. But I’m more interested in a 3D open world type game. I will put more research into Arkham asylum. If I can skip cutscenes then I might pick it up. That’s what I do when I am playing okami and a questionable scene comes up.

Snatcher

@blindsquarel Hmm. If you don’t mind just watching cutscenes. There’s four games, and one of them might not actually have it. If that level of sexual content is your issue. Tho I can’t speak for the whole series, because I haven’t even played all of them. But you can ask someone else.

I’m very much alive!

Tasuki

@NeonPizza For some reason I enjoyed the Nightmare on Elm Street game on the NES, I didn't know of the original idea till now which is cool. I do remember playing the NES game with my friend and brother at the time and had a blast. Even a few years ago when I played it with my son via emulation we had a blast. I don't know maybe I am odd lol.

@Maxenmus That's exactly how I feel lol. Some stuff though I just can't let go Metallica and D&D being two of them. Lol. As for the Spider-man thing, my older brother is the same way. He grew up with the 60s Spider-man and was, still is a huge Spider-man fan but of the older stuff.

I guess what it comes down to is like in sports you get fair weather fans you know the one that like a team because they are the best team currently. It feels that they only reason they are Metallica fans is because of some ***** reference they made in Stanger Things or in your case because Spider-man was in the latest Avengers movie.. They weren't fans from the beginning through all the tough times so to speak.

My Backlog

Maxenmus

Tasuki wrote:

It feels that they only reason they are Metallica fans is because of some ***** reference they made in Stanger Things or in your case because Spider-man was in the latest Avengers movie.. They weren't fans from the beginning through all the tough times so to speak.

I feel like it gets much worse than that. Remember how I said you're constantly reminded by modern remakes/reiterations of older things you like? Well, try to imagine a remixed version of a Metallica song, for example, maybe remixed with whatever music genres kids these days are into, EDM or some crap. And then you're just passing your time, maybe turning on the TV or whatever, maybe not even doing that as you walk down the street and you happen to see a movie trailer with that remixed Metallica song. And it's hard to voice your annoyance about such things, because you'll get criticized as a person for your criticisms.

Now, don't get me wrong, there might be good remixes of Metallica songs out there, or even just good remixes of any oldies songs even. But the point is that, when something old a person likes is reinterpreted this way by a newer generation, it feels patronizing sometimes, like it's making a mockery of it. Oftentimes, the reinterpretation misses what people liked about the original song or the character or the movie, which can lead to people feeling alienated, like they're an outsider watching someone telling their favorite story, but missing the point of the story. And again, I'm not even saying that all remakes are automatically bad, because there can be people out there who want to honor the original material, and they did justice for the franchise. I'm pretty sure there are lot of a long-running games anyway that have been around for decades, and people still enjoyed them. But in spite of all that, I think that feeling of being left behind by a newer generation will still take place. People often refer to this as "nostalgia," but I feel like that is oversimplifying our feelings. It's more like, a certain band or comic book character was special to us because of reasons that only people who grew up with those things would understand. Star Wars: A New Hope, for example, might feel like a generic sci-fi movie compared to modern adventure movies, but it was special at the time for people who first saw it on the big-screen, bringing together an entire generation of geeks who formed a community of sorts in a time when there was no Internet. That kind of special feeling is hard to replicate, and it's hard for modern generations to understand what it felt like either because they didn't live during those moments. They could only imagine what it felt like and try to honor that feeling (or usually, not honor it and just nostalgia-bait us by dangling our childhood icons and asking for money).

I'm not saying that they shouldn't bring back our favorite things from our childhood and offer it to the new generations. What I'm saying is, I'm getting old, and seeing those childhood things rebranded into something else feels kinda insulting. I think modern generations should be encouraged to revisit older things anyway, even if the film is black and white, even if the game is "retro" and in 16-bit graphics.

Edited on by Maxenmus

Maxenmus

Switch Friend Code: SW-7926-2339-9775 | 3DS Friend Code: 3539-9678-8621 | My Nintendo: Flare | Nintendo Network ID: OriusPrime

Tasuki

@Maxenmus Exactly. Don't get me wrong either, I don't mind introducing older stuff to a new generation either, but don't come at me like you are some hard-core fan just because you saw it on an episode of Stranger Things or cut down the original because you first heard a remix. It is kinda of insulting especially when you ask a person so what's your favorite Metallica song and the replay, the one Dippy Dohow played on Stranger Things.

My Backlog

jedgamesguy

Thanks for comin out yesterday you guys, shout out to @TheJGG and @Snatcher for coming through too! Really helped to have a good celebration for my now 1 year here on NL! Kinda sucks though, I had to remove a part of the stream and had to reupload. So that means ALL the views, likes, and chat is GONE. Unfortunate, but I gotta just make sure I avoid having to do that next time. But regardless, thank you so much guys it was a great time

I got my capture card working in time for the matches, so I combined our footage to make a side-by side!
Here's to many more.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Fizza

@tekoii @TheJGG Ah man, I was out yesterday when this happened, I would've loved to have joined! Whenever you're holding another MK night again, let me know because I'd love to take part!

Also, happy 1 year anniversary tekoii! Your art is wondefully drawn and your videos/livestreams are always fantastic watches 😁

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

jedgamesguy

@Fizza Shame you don’t have Discord because if I’m being honest keeping track of it over asynchronous forum isn’t easy… I imagine I can speak for tekoii too, when I say I’d love to race against you… and ideally finish ahead!

Never say never though, the more the merrier.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

MarioVillager92

@tekoii Yeah, I was actually hoping we'd get Sky-High Sundae during our last session. We'll get it sooner or later. Happy 1-year anniversary at Nintendo Life, by the way.

@Fizza I absolutely encourage you to get Discord, especially since there's no way to message anyone on your Switch friend list. It will make setting up game matches much easier, and we can chat while we play, too. Tekoii has his own server too, which I'm a member of.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Fizza

@TheJGG @MarioLover92 I'm still a bit apprehensive over getting the app (especially with what sometimes pops up in the news regarding it) but I'll definitely look into it. If I do decide to get it, you guys will absolutely be the first to know!

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic