Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 51,681 to 51,700 of 96,526

jedgamesguy

@MorningRain If you can talk about it for half an hour I can do it for... that long too! I haven’t played any of the Pokémon games, but the two that stand out to me the most are the Xenoblade games, plus Persona 4. I’ve only played three games that have a larger musical emphasis on vocals, so that’s Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Persona 4/5. It’s great to hear various vocalists, even if there’s the chance their voices’ll grate on you!

Xenoblade’s one of my all time favourites, and the soundtrack is a very key part of the experience. Sometimes remastered/redone music fails to live up to the original material but I can only name two or three tracks I’ve enjoyed less when remastered. They are, specifically, Central Factory, Gaur Plain (Day). I’d rate that soundtrack above X and 2, though I’d say those two are equal. The adrenaline when taking down tinier enemies in Skells is unbelievable. 2’s score has some great songs, like Tantal (d/n), Mor Ardain, almost all the battle themes, and a few more. But not all of it is memorable, more... fitting.

As for Persona’s soundtrack... one of the best in the biz really. 5’s soundtrack is good and all but 4’s holds it own very well. My favourite songs from 5 are New Beginning, Gentle Madman, I Believe, Life Will Change (instrumental) and the fourth palace theme. And my faves from 4 are pretty much the same as yours, I much prefer the vocals in 4 to 5...

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Anti-Matter

Quick question about Overcooked All You Can Eat PS4 version.
Is the PS4 version also running in 60 fps like PS5 version ?
I asked this question since i have PS4 Slim.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

MarioVillager92

@TheJGG All righty. I may get stuck at certain points, anyway. lol

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Losermagnet

@Zuljaras hey, figured I'd pop in quickly and respond so everything is kosher. I thought about it and, honestly, the games are probably better off with someone else. I doubt i'd make the time to play them, and i'd feel pretty rotten if they sat around on my Switch unplayed. Thanks for keeping me in mind though buddy 😁

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Eel

Talking about that, turns out I had played the RE5 demo at some point, and the save data was still on my Switch! I was able to skip the beginning of the game and got a bonus costume for Chris. How convenient.

After playing RE8 so much, 5 feels like controlling a rusty tank, but the game still looks really nice.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Zuljaras

@Losermagnet ah good to know!

So if someone here want to play RE6 just tell me and I will send it to you

@Eel RE5 is the last RE with controls close to a tank You have more movement than RE4. The DLC Lost in Nightmares is really cool!

Anti-Matter

I have rewritten the game list of PS4 and Switch, combined with the upcoming games, I have decided some games I will pick the PS4 version, other titles will be Switch version (for multi console release games) and after I saw the quantity of PS4 and Switch games on my list, I was surprised I could registered more than 50 PS4 games and 100 Switch games. 😲
That was a lot of games.

Anti-Matter

MorningRain

@TheJGG
yeah for sure love when games use vocal tracks but one of my favorite persona 5 songs (its not a vocal track) is Improvised Song Dedicated to the next Prime Minister’s Ship. I love games that use pianos such as a lot of the fire emblem games and this track Is just so good for something you here only once or twice in the game. what are some of your favorite instruments or types of music when it comes to games

MorningRain

jedgamesguy

@MorningRain Vocal tracks are indeed awesome, and I remember hearing that improvised piano song in Persona 5's Ark palace, it felt almost nostalgic. Like the end of a long journey (which it was). I'm reminded of "A Funeral of Flowers" when talking about piano in Fire Emblem music, because the normal theme is your usual orchestral soup but the thunder version is a piano solo which really heightens the emotion.

My favourite genre of game music.. that's hard. There's some rock songs that really hit home, like "The Airbuster" from Final Fantasy VII Remake. That's one of my all time favourites, it has so much emotion and the instrumentation is perfect.

In terms of battle themes I always like really solid percussion, so songs from Octopath Traveler fit that bill. Games that blend orchestral and rock, like of course all three Xenoblade titles, are awesome as well. There's a song that fits the orchestral/electronic mould I like as well, if you haven't played Final Fantasy XV you won't want to see this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr1qXXAxURM

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Tyranexx

Oof. Busy weekend. It does appear that @Anti-Matter is back! I'm mostly sticking to replies only on the forums for now, but I did enjoy your Yo-kai Watch drawings! You're very good at recreating the art style. Especially with Whisper.

@MarioLover92 I never owned the platforms the Mega Man Legends titles were on, though I briefly tried Mega Man 64/Mega Man Legends 1 via Project 64 on a friend's tablet in college. What little I played of it was good, but I wasn't able to get far before the game crashed. (Same with both the normal and Master Quest versions of Ocarina of Time, but at least in one of the two I made it most of the way through the Deku Tree before it crashed....)

Duly noted on X7. If I ever do continue the series, I'll make sure to give that one a hard pass lol.

@ThanosReXXX German Alf is really that bad huh? I'm sort of surprised you didn't also suggest a vat of acid sent into the far reaches of space for good measure....

As for The Apple Dumpling Gang: Parts of that movie are hit or miss with me, but the fire station bit still kills me. XD

"I ain't no Western movie nut" huh? XD To be fair, I have heard of some of those titles you mentioned. In fact, from a historical perspective, The Alamo has occasionally graced my radar. Same with The Last of the Mohicans. Truth be told, as I've thought about it, I think some of the Western type media I've watched has been more TV series than movies. One of my grandmothers often watches reruns. Series like Gunsmoke, Little House on the Prairie (This I don't dislike so much as they really spun off from the source material..."Based on" indeed), and The Virginian.

So yeah....It's possible I just haven't seen some of the right material that'll stick with me. I've seen a couple movies with the famous John Wayne in them. While I don't deny he was a very good actor, most of the material I've seen that features him just didn't hold my attention for long.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Anti-Matter

@Tyranexx
Thanks. 😀
I will upload another Yokai Watch hand drawing again once it finished.

Anti-Matter

MarioVillager92

@Tyranexx Ouch - sorry to hear about the crashes. That's never a fun experience. Reminds me of the "an error has occurred" message when a GameCube fails to read discs. At least you got a little taste of what MML will bring! Hopefully Capcom will have legacy collection of all the Mega Man Legends games...maybe with the cancelled prototype version of MML3 - okay, probably not, but I can dream. lol

Can't blame you for skipping X7 - thankfully X8 was a nice step-up from that pile of trash! Not my favorite Mega Man X game, but from what I remember it's pretty good.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

Snatcher

@Anti-Matter I know a lot of people said this already but damn those yo-kai look just like the game and the anime.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Tyranexx

@Anti-Matter Looking forward to it!

@MarioLover92 Hah, to be fair, I don't think it was a very high-powered tablet. Still, it was fun to try and experience those games since I'd never had access to a N64. I think OoT 3D was out by then, but I didn't have a 3DS yet. Fingers crossed that Capcom does do a Legends collection, along with Battle Network and Star Force!

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Tyranexx

@TheJGG Wonderful suggestions! While I'm tempted to shut down Nintendo's data servers, I'm fairly certain that's breaking a law or two. I like having a clean record. I've seriously considered taking the day off, but I want to reserve that time off in case scheduling for window-related pursuits doesn't pan out. I've actually used the internet blackout approach previously when it came to ill-timed Directs with some success, but those didn't fall during E3 lol. Alternatively, I've also considered just listening in and sneaking the occasional peek, but that isn't the same thing. At the very least, hopefully you don't miss the Direct...and that dose 2 of the Pfizer shot, if you experience any side effects, waits until after the hype levels die down a little to troll you.

At least the Square Enix presentation has better timing; IIRC, it's at 2:15 in the afternoon here. Needless to say they're one of my favorite RPG generators. It's probably foolish to hope for anything more on Dragon Quest XII, but I hope there's at least a rumble about that HD-2D remake for DQ III. Besides Nintendo, SE's presentation is the only one I'll bother to watch. There are other industry insiders I'd like to hear from, such as Ubisoft, but I'm happy to wait for any relevant news after the fact.

I typically wait at least several months before picking up a new console. I didn't get my Switch until late 2019 (Very good investment, especially with the stock issues that plagued 2020), bought my Wii U in the summer of 2015, picked up my original 3DS in January 2012, and grabbed my N3DS XL in late 2017. Different factors guided the purchase decisions for each. I'll likewise play the waiting game for the next Nintendo console or revision, which seems increasingly likely to show soon with all the rumors flying around. Still, I grab plenty of salt before sliding into those rumor articles and threads. XD

Monster Hunter Rise is certainly worth it, though it did take it a bit to click with me. Thankfully, the usual denizens of the respective thread here are VERY helpful. I've pretty much moved on from the game after 45 hours, though I'll likely dive back in for the occasional hub quest with some online friends. There's enough to keep someone busy for quite some time, even without the content updates. I'm also throttling game purchases for a bit; windows aside (been saving up for awhile anyway), I really don't need more of them right now. I've also pre-ordered a couple games - Ys IX: Monstrum Nox and The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles both for Switch - during Switch July. Excellent picks in regards to both Witcher 3 and Nier: Automata btw.

I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel regarding Covid, though I do agree that "normal", a word with a changing definition in any case, is still a ways off. Fingers crossed that your lockdown ends soon!

That looks like an insane, yet fun, track layout! Looks like you had a lot of fun even if some mistakes and sore arms came out of the session. Don't be too hard on yourself - we're all human, after all. Not perfectly oiled machines. I daresay you did better than I could have at any rate! Honestly, I probably would've been too nerved up to go very fast without putting in a LOT of practice beforehand lol.

I've probably mentioned it already, but I didn't have a lot of early exposure to other genres outside of platformers and a certain light gun game (Duck Hunt). Then of course there were arcade titles, but most of those were racing, light gun, or fighting games like Street Fighter and Tekken. Agreed on Twilight Princess, both on how its similarities to Ocarina of Time are strength, and that the HD version was disappointing. Truth be told, I got the Wii U release more for the Wolf Link amiibo and extra dungeon. It had been several years since I'd played the Wii version though, so it was nice to revisit that version of Hyrule again. Visually, it was less muddy, but it was a touch-up at best. I played it after Miiverse shut down though, so the stamps felt like a bit of a useless collectathon.

Pokemon is what I'd describe as a safe RPG. The gameplay mechanics, some of the music, and a few character arcs are pretty solid, but the games...haven't really changed much in some aspects. If you're in it for the plot though, tracking down one of the Gen 5 games, Black or White and their respective sequels would almost be worth it...if most DS games weren't inflated in price right now. I will say this much: some of the more recent Pokemon games (though I can't speak for Sword/Shield yet) needed to spend a little more time in development before they were released. They aren't broken messes and are perfectly playable, but many recent entries have felt soulless and barren in some aspects. Or maybe I'm just getting old, and my tastes are changing lol.

Oof. So some of the other VA work in Trials of Mana isn't much better? I've only heard some of Charlotte and Kevin's sound bits. I'm half tempted to try playing through in Japanese with English subtitles, but subs also drive me nuts...maybe I'll just mute them. XD There doesn't seem to be a lot of soul to them. According to GameFAQs thread I just found on the matter, some don't think much of the Japanese VA work either. Sub-par content like this also makes me appreciate good VA work when I hear it. Recent examples I've played I can think of are Xenoblade 1 (as well), Dragon Quest VIII, and Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

Maybe we should start publishing our responses in a book, for future perusal?

MorningRain

@Anti-Matter yeah I'll for sure give yo kai watch a go at some point I've heard a lot of good things about it

MorningRain

MorningRain

@TheJGG I have played ffxv and that whole soundtrack is a treat one of my favorites is the use of sommus in the final chapter its one of those emotional end of journey themes that I really enjoyed. another good one from ffxv is apocalypsis noctis such a epic song for a epic fight.

MorningRain

Snatcher

@Anti-Matter Your lying, no way its your first time.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic