Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 36,861 to 36,880 of 96,309

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Hah, yeah, the court of public opinion here never actually left the Salem Witch Trials. "Guilty until proven guilty, we've decided!" But the actual legal courts are definitely "innocent until proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt" (Or until a plea bargain is signed off on... that's the real primary blight of the adversarial system.)

Well, the flash and ties adds an element of salesmanship to a trial (your fav! ), while the robes adds a sense of immutable power and authority. Just different ways of selling the result I suppose. I, too, prefer the latter, but if I think about it logically, it's really different traditions with the same objective.

I definitely like your rules for anonymity though. Ever since OJ and the rise of CourtTV and the like the genie will never go back in the bottle here. Too profitable to exploit the accused. I do wish we had your system for that. The thing here is, it's one of those cases where "freedom" hurts. The court filings are inherently public filings, and as public filings it means they're open to everyone. On paper that's a good thing - open society, transparent government proceedings, no secret trials of unknown individuals. Seems like a good plan. However freedom of press gets in the way when media companies realized people love watching train wrecks ( ) in motion and love throwing stones at people, so covering every detail of the accused as a gossip rag disguised as news realizes big profits. It's one of those "good intentions always gets used for ill gotten gains at someone else's expense" things. I'd definitely like to see some anonymity requirements. But...then, especially with plea bargains available, imagine how the blackmail would work with that?

I agree entirely with all things media related you mentioned. Not really part of our legal system at all. It's part of our nasty media corporations exploiting every soft point in the legal system to boost their margins by selling stones and torches, and some opportunistic lawyers who try to utilize that mechanism.

I don't disagree on juries either. There's how it was intended to work from the perspective of 18th century agrarian life and the way it works today. The jury back then was going to be the butcher down the street, the pig farmer that traded some straw with the accused a few years ago, the landlord, and the paperboy. People connected to the scene, events, people, etc. The real idea was so it was impartial and not corrupted by the heavy hand of government being the judge and jury. Which is smart. But I'm not sure the average 2019 moron is a better alternative. Maybe not worse, maybe not better. But I also know, here, a government jury would rule based on political objectives with quietly organized initiatives. It's just our corruption here...

Well, regarding the right to remain silent...it still makes sense to me. In the cases where an indivitual is innocent but can't represent themselves, they let the evidence speak for them (and hope their lawyer is competent.) In cases where the individual is guilty pleading innocent but refuses to explain how he feels like he can prove he's innocent, like your example....well, he's also letting the evidence speak for him....

The problem (at least in our system) with requiring the defendant to testify is the prosecution could lead the witness, putting words in their mouth by supposition and suggestion that sway the ruling, if they're innocent. Or similarly the defense could lead the witness to a narrative of clever weaving the same way even if they're guilty as anything. Leading is against court rules, and the testimony is to be stricken from the record if called on it....but.....once heard it can't be unheard, etc. Personally, I think it makes more sense than not because the evidence always is heard loud and clear if it exists for a guilty party, but may not be so audible if the party is innocent.

In your example, I can't imagine saying nothing is worse than making up stories to disprove with evidence, assuming he's actually guilty. Pleading innocent at all if he's guilty would be the main problem. Either way the evidence would be required so it probably speeds things up, if anything, for him to just be quiet.

NEStalgia

NotTelevision

@bimmy-lee Haha yeah. Same here. I have a brother that’s 6 years older than me and after we failed to make it out of that dang cave in Stage 3, we’d play the Vs. mode for a bit. The Vs. mode was fun, but my brother would just piss me off. He’d either beat me by using some cheap strategy or run around the stage so I couldn’t hit him. It just devolved into several Abobos running around, smacking into either each other or the wall.

NotTelevision

kkslider5552000

I was gonna say something more risky purely for lulz but my signature is enough. But am I the only one who had never heard of Gender Reveal parties until the past year?

Like I knew baby showers were a thing but I can't imagine anyone but self-obsessed, dumb rich people throwing a party for something like this. I'd be pissed at my parents if they spent money on even a cake for such a stupid thing (especially in hindsight, hurhur). And now apparently people might die from them based on whenever they end up being news. More like, explosion reveal parties. Hahaha wtf

And for those of you who haven't heard of gender reveal parties...good.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

ThanosReXXX

@kkslider5552000 People are dying from gender reveal parties? That's some shady type of balloon sellers, then...

But yeah, these are a thing nowadays. Personally, I don't have any kind of objections to them, nor would I prefer them. It's just a bit of an evolution of existing methods of telling the world that you are expecting a boy or a girl, so in that regard, it's also not really something to be bothered by, in my humble opinion.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Funny you mentioned Salem: that's a show on Fox that I watch and of which (witch?) the new season just recently started...

But strange, isn't it, how judicial systems, based upon exactly the same principals have become so different over the period of around a 100 - 150 years (give or take, because initially, it WAS the European system, being brought over to the Americas by settlers/colonists, obviously). And it already veered off pretty quickly, because somewhere between the time of the Old West and the Wild West, public juries were already instigated/used, so probably as soon as the English were chased off, they also pulled the plug on their judicial system or something...

The whole leading the witness thing isn't applicable here, because the questioning and such mainly comes from the judges and their tribunal. The lawyers/counselors mainly present their cases. They will ask for proof of things, but that question is asked to the room, and then the judge prompts the other party to reply. That's also what I meant initially with all the flashy bits and Broadway stages comment. American lawyers sometimes do come across as bad stage actors, or good ones, if they win...

No such role-playing over here. All business and dry as old biscuits and such.

As for the whole "not speaking" thing, perhaps I need to elaborate or explain myself further: what I meant is that if you, as an accused, really ARE innocent, then why not tell the judge and more importantly: the family and friends of the victim, why you were at a crime scene, or what your alibi is, if you can truly prove your innocence?

It's the decent thing to do, and you're not adding to the misery and suffering of the family/friends of the victim by needlessly keeping your mouth shut, also creating doubt in regards of you maybe being guilty after all, so you're also throwing shadows on yourself, perhaps unnecessarily so.

P.S.

There's a time and place for sales & marketing, and a court room DEFINITELY isn't the time and place, so I detest flashy a*holes acting out a one man show, trying to persuade a jury of non-relevant "peers" to put a vote in the hat for their client.

I've never been that slick of a salesman anyways. I'm more of a truth and quality guy. Seldom, I know, but I feel far better for it...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Tyranexx

Sooo....What did I miss? The internet doesn't seem to have exploded while I was gone. Unless it did and was just reborn into the same thing.

I actually stayed clear of the site and a good chunk of the internet for about a week, then slowly worked my way back into things. I'm back to (near) normal activity, or what I can manage with the holidays coming up. I've decided to still be somewhat less obsessed with posting or checking the forums lol. Please don't be offended if I occasionally don't respond to something for a couple of days. Part of my hiatus was due to some work crunch that I'm just now getting into the downhill slide from.

On gender reveal parties: They do seem frivolous to me, but ultimately I feel it's up to the parents about whether or not they want to waste much $$$ or energy on those. Personally I think it's more fun for junior's gender to be a surprise.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

bimmy-lee

My son told us at dinner he’s asking Santa for his “very own batendo (Nintendo) to play Mario and Luigi” for Christmas. It was like watching years of subtle, low key brain washing all come to a head in a single, glorious moment.

@Tyranexx - Hey, welcome back. Hope you enjoyed unplugging for a bit and got caught back up to normal with work. We made a sugar cream pie and ate it together. We got together at Hobbit’s place because the weather was nice.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Tyranexx

@bimmy-lee Thanks! We're almost caught up. I'm in the midst of an interesting project a little outside my wheelhouse right now, but that's coming along nicely. The main thing is that the coworker I'm trying to work with on it is beyond swamped; one of our other developers was let go, so he's had to take on more duties for a little while until someone else gets hired. I get with him when I can and have been doing other work in the meantime. I'm trying to give him some space and sanity until things start settling down more. I'd love to help him out with his workload, but I have very little experience with what the other dev was working with and little to no time to be cross-trained into that. Things have been interesting.

Shame I missed heading to Hobbit's place, though the weather here this week hasn't been too bad. I regret missing that sugar cream pie.

I'm now adding "Batendo" to my mental dictionary just to confuse people.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

HobbitGamer

@Tyranexx To be fair, there wasn’t much sitting room in the hovel.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Tyranexx

@HobbitGamer Who said I needed to sit IN the hovel? I'm happy to be outside in the right weather conditions.

@Ninfan While I originally went into coding with the intention of making video games (and still might in the future), I strictly work with service-oriented business applications right now. I discovered I liked the business side of things.

@Anti-Matter ...I think I'm missing the in-joke if there is one. XD Though it is kinda late here....

Anti-Matter

@Tyranexx
Psst...
Compuper was spoken from Frank Honey (LEGO CITY Undercover) when he mentioned a computer. 🤣

Anti-Matter

bimmy-lee

I’ve used the compuper reference in this thread before, it made me laugh every time Frank Honey said it. I think one of the characters from Sealab 2021 also called them compupers.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

HobbitGamer

I also got the reference. That’s two!!

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

I didn't get it...but that's because im a puupy head

NintendoByNature

Anti-Matter

I still stay awake until 1.30 am here.
Cannot sleep yet.
Still watching some Ratchet PS3 games videos from Youtube.
The feeling to revive my PS3 hype still arousing my head.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic