Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 31,961 to 31,980 of 96,481

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia The Cynic in me approves of basically all you said. lol. But I still appreciate this backwardness.

@NEStalgia and @bimmy-lee The thing that made me violently angry was when I learned that nearly all the various poisons they called medicines they had him on, had "stroke" as a potential side effect and no one stopped and said "If we use all these medicines with the same potential lethal side effect, wont that be very likely?" The doctor admitted to my father, before the strokes (yes, plural, the estimate after his death was that he had dozens in the last few weeks) that they were not paying attention to the potential side effects and complications. They admitted to this after my father noticed a new medicine they had prescribed had stated high possibility of depression and thoughts of suicide - my father who forgot for years to get over depression about a decade prior pointed this out to his doctor who admitted he didn't even notice that side effect listed.

Suffice to say it's good that I have not seen this doctor in person since my father passed. In my opinion, he is a murderer.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Hey, buddy. Congrats with your little girl. Hope you got a great couple of days in store with some nice surprises for the birthday girl.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Tyranexx

@bimmy-lee Thanks! I'll be on the road for a decent chunk of it and likely won't be driving much, so I should get a sufficient amount of handheld gaming in. I've also gotten into the My Hero Academia manga recently and intend to finally dig into volume 3 (and maybe 4 if I really make progress).

Happy birthday to your daughter! I hope you have a fun, long weekend! Long breaks like that help me recharge quite well.

@NintendoByNature Thanks! We're heading to the Carolinas; there'll be a couple of stops in North Carolina, then we'll spend most of the rest of the time that we aren't driving in South Carolina. I'm definitely looking forward to it minus the timezone shift. I'm not exactly a morning person lol.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

HobbitGamer

@Tyranexx You get extra internet points if y’all get pulled over in Columbia by Richland county and wind up on Live PD. I’ll be watching.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

bimmy-lee

Thanks everyone, it flies by @NintendoByNature ! Hey @ThanosReXXX , yeah, it should be a big weekend for her. She picked out her activities tomorrow, and it’s pure five year old. Breakfast out for French toast, the arcade for Mario Kart and claw games, afternoon movie at home (Homeward Bound for the 25th Time), and an evening zoo trip. Not to mention they get a big, combined birthday party in a few weeks with extended family, and she gets to do it all over again at the end of the month for her brother’s birthday.

@Tyranexx - You’re setting yourself up nicely for some good food in the Carolinas on vacation if you like barbecue.

@HobbitGamer - Do you really get to watch hillbillies get arrested in real time? That’s incredible. I think I’d get addicted.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx im sure it'll be a fun time. Never been to the Carolina's but I bet the weather will be perfect.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@HobbitGamer That would probably excite my brother. He loves police shows like that. XD Whether or not we get pulled over will largely depend on if my dad is driving. He's...not the most attentive.

@bimmy-lee I'm definitely a barbecue fan, as is most of my family. We'll definitely keep a lookout. Some nice, smoked barbecue ribs sound pretty good right now....

I like your daughter's thinking. I'd enjoy most of the described activities, and Homeward Bound was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I'm not sure if I could watch it over and over again though lol.

@NintendoByNature There's some forecasted rain at different points, but nothing too nasty that we can tell. We should be able to cram in a little beach time on one day.

I've been to Charlotte, NC for a work conference, but I don't have much experience with the Carolinas otherwise. Cutting as close as we are to Carowinds though....That'll be hard. I'm the only one who really loves thrill rides.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Sounds like it's going to be a blast, then. Regardless of having to do a Groundhog Day movie thing...

@Tyranexx The wanting to watch things over and over again is such a typical kid's thing: when my sister's daughter was still little, she always wanted to watch my Tom and Jerry cartoon collection, the entire series one cartoon after the other, every time she visited us. And even though she'd already seen them dozens of times, she still laughed just as hard as the first time she watched them.

It was both weirdly annoying and yet also magical, because it kind of made me realize how wonderfully simple our own childhood years were, combined with a small pang of regret for having lost that innocence, but altogether still nice, and it actually made me re-appreciate the cartoons again as well, after a while...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

HobbitGamer

@bimmy-lee Live PD is amazing. It’s 3 hours of live field work by about 8 departments around the country.
Have fun with the party

@Tyranexx Don’t forget about that Low Country Boil

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Heh, agreed. I know that I did my fair share of driving my parents nuts by rewatching certain Disney movies and VHS show compilations over...and over...and over....

Ah, for a simpler time....

@HobbitGamer I think I've had something kinda like Low Country Boil before, but it's something I'll also keep an eye out for. Thanks for mentioning it! I'm always out to try new things.

Eel

Sheesh I’m glad the switch is so switchy.

These power outages have continued, this time in the “now you have power, now you don’t! now it’s back!” variety...

If I were playing on another console right now, I would have lost a lot of progress several times.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Heavyarms55

@Morpheel Not to mention it's not good for any computer like device to have the plug pulled repeatedly like that anyway. How long have you been having power problems? Where do you live dude?

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx I think you forgot "a couple" of overs...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I think NL and the US compare a lot of notes in how to run a bureaucracy. Only the Soviets could top either for the most inefficient way to do absolutely anything. I will from now on, however, blame the Dutch for the screwed up bureaucracy here. Every time I got to a post office with the passports line at the next counter I want to bludgeon anyone by the time I'm done hearing them tell people all the things they need that the documentation never told them they needed to have....they can't tell them where it is in the documentation of course, but they know it must be in there because lots of people do bring it..... and they won't help anyone find it, they just tell them they have it wrong and send them home to come back and do it all again with something else the next day.

A few years ago there was talk of using the post office, also, as your bank........ I think I'll just print my own money on an inkjet. I'm more likely to be able to actually get it and use it. And heck...it works for Washington....

As for cures...it's easy to not find what you don't look for. The medical industrial complex is built on treating symptoms forever. Every patient cured means another cut off revenue stream. You don't have to actively work AGAINST a cure, to simply not try to find one, to spend endless research on symptom treatment and never put the funding into cures....and to conveniently ignore/discredit/shelve for "study" cures that are found in the process. When the people making the money off the status quo are also the same people that control the research and funding.....it's not hard to figure out what happens. (I can't actually go into more detail for obvious reasons.) But suffice to say - yes, continuing symptomatic treatment indefinitely and maintaining a patient in that state indefinitely is the economic priority. Yes, keeping people ALIVE as long as possible is the priority - it's not false advertising. If they're dead, they can't pay you weekly/monthly for endless service, after all.....) That's not to say there aren't real foundations and such doing the real research....but they tend to also lack the funding and data the for-profit complex hordes.

Of course, that also plays into my depopulation conversation though.....if we COULD cure all these diseases....would that be a good thing? What would we do with all that effectively immortal population? I can actually understand that aspect of the conundrum...so long as nobody was buying 150ft yachts and villas in the Mediterranean in successfully profiting off it.

Re-watching: Yeah, I remember watching the same things over and over like that. I'd probably go out of my mind now..but...OTOH is the problem that we can't actually enjoy that anymore, or that we just have so much more to engage with now that we didn't back then?

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@RedderRugfish is gone. PARTY TIIMEEEE!!! He was annoying anyway. So opinionated. He really just ruined the site. It'll be so much better without him. I should have had him on ignore months ago.

.....awww, shoot, it's only until Monday....

@Morpheel Did the ancient power source in the pyramids suddenly stop? Darnit, we thought the carvings for "end of the world" said 2000, not 2020!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Oh, but over here, the information actually IS in the documents, so they're not performing/copying the system correctly over there, and all the people working at these offices also know, but the annoying thing is that A. the information is written in such a formal way, that practically no common citizen understands it, B. It's quite possibly written down somewhere in a section where you might not expect it to be, and C. the people at these offices work and talk annoyingly slow, making the whole process last nerve-wreckingly long...

I'll leave the health care problem alone, because we already agree for the most part, except not where it concerns diseases like cancer. There's ample proof that institutes like the one I linked to, are actively working to completely eradicate that disease, regardless of whether or not that will mean less revenue for pharmaceutical companies.

As for the re-watching magic of our youth: I truly do believe it's because as an adult, you've lost that magic of simplicity, finding beauty and pleasure in a lot more things than we do now, and also not minding to look at something that we've already seen dozens of times before.

I do think you may have a point with there being far more stuff available nowadays, but that too only counts for adults, mostly, seeing as kids can still do the same thing over and over and enjoy it just as much as kids did back when we were young.

Then again: I know plenty of adults, including myself, who have watched certain movies over and over and over again, and still do, on occasion, albeit not every day or every week. Speaking for myself alone, I can tell you that I've probably seen the original Star Wars trilogy about 10 to 12 times, the Lord of the Rings trilogy also around 10 times, and other movies that I've seen plenty of times, are all the 90's action hero movies, with Stallone, Schwarzenegger and Willis. Most of them probably also around 10 times, so in some ways, things haven't changed that much...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Tyranexx

Phew! Only about halfway done with our drive. Currently in Tennessee and closing in on its heart. I've been through a chapter of MHA and played a little DQ IV earlier. We're just now back on the road again after stopping for lunch. We'll be losing an hour soon....

Morpheel wrote:

Wasnt it 2012?

I believe that was 2012, yep. That's merely when the dating system stopped I think. It wasn't necessarily a forecast of when the world was ending.

Edit: Unless the world DID end, and we're in some sort of alternate reality.

@ThanosReXXX Must...resist...being...obnoxious...with...a post...full...of...overs..... ( )

Edited on by Tyranexx

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic