Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 31,981 to 32,000 of 96,484

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Did I mention that we have plenty of New Holland's and New Amsterdams, over here? It shows! Yeah that sounds just like how it all is here. Granted, I think it's probably government-standard everywhere....but I'd still like to think that's where we got it from (and from the old conquering days, lots of other places got it from there too )

Oh, as I said, I don't disagree there are institutes researching proper cures. I'm just saying those institutes are not the organizations that have the money and data that are most equipped to do so...and that the organizations that do, do not direct those resources into similar research.

Re-watching: True, plus, kids in general don't have as much stuff going on as adults. I mean if I had the video game collection I have now when I was 10, maybe SMB3 wouldn't have had quite so many play throughs... It wasn't entirely about the era so much as I couldn't buy whatever games I wanted back then I still find myself circling back to things I love over and over, even ahead of more variety.

@Morpheel That's just what they wanted us to think! But the ancient power source in the pyramids didn't start running out until now, did it, huh?

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx You, obnoxious?
As for the whole 2012 thing: if I remember correctly, that Mayan calendar was wrongly interpreted, and it wasn't necessarily the end of the world, but in the context of Mayan society, so not ours, simply an indication that the whole cycle would begin anew. So, more like a "reset" of the world, than a destruction. But again: only in the context of Mayan society. That's probably also the reason why the date was misinterpreted, so it was never going to be 2012 in the first place, because it's not about our calendar.

But having said that, some scientists have even found information in ancient documents like these, with similar messages, and have found that it may point to the reversal of the Earth's magnetic poles, which also happens every couple of hundred thousands of years, and a reversal actually is expected in the not too distant future.

I think we can all imagine that, especially now, with all the technology that we use, how catastrophic that might be, and for all intent and purposes, that might also count as a type of "end of the world" scenario, albeit more in a "as we know it" kinda way.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, whadaya know? We actually DO completely agree...
Well, blow me down.

And kids may not have a lot of stuff going on, although that might also be relative, since if you make a comparison, then you could probably come up with a pound for pound list, depending on the age of said youngsters. But with the digital world they now have access to, it's actually a miracle that they still act the same as kids in our time. Well, at least: initially...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

HobbitGamer

You’re all wrong. 2012 was a marketing tactic for Assassin’s Creed III. Spoiler alert; it didn’t work well.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Tyranexx

Ugh. We unfortunately didn't time something quite right and hit rush hour (Eastern Time) and have to navigate an upcoming wreck on our side of the interstate to boot. Really hope we can pull over soon....

@ThanosReXXX Okay, so we're still all here after a soft reset! A system reboot. It must've happened while we were all sleeping that evening.

I remember reading after the fact how big Y2K was too. I recall some rumblings about it as a kid but wasn't exposed to the actual hysteria leading up to the event and was too young to really pay attention or care at the time.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NintendoByNature

I was 12 during y2k and all i remember was my house being stock piled with cans of food and cases of water. The conspiracy theorist in me was telling my parents this just seemed like the government wanting us to go out and spend all this money on stuff. And to this day.....i still believe it to be true lol

NintendoByNature

SheldonRandoms

I remember making the biggest mistake of my life during the whole Y2K craze, I accepted a coupon from a chicken, however, the coupon was expired.

I made Sheldon & Mr. Randoms back on Flipnote Hatena, now i'm a kangaroo mod that has a funko pop collection!

I'm not keen politics since that stuff is spooky, I'd rather watch SpongeBob over Fox News anyways!

Fortnite Creator Code: SheldonRandoms

Switch Friend Code: SW-2240-6609-5332 | 3DS Friend Code: 5429-9754-3617 | Nintendo Network ID: SheldonRandoms

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Nope, they weren't expecting those, and they also weren't expecting their unknown Spanish/European germs...

But as I said, the calendar was solely for them, for their world, their society, so suffice to say, that if the original Mayas would have still been here, then by some kind of means, their world, and only theirs, would have ended in the year 2012. That's what the calendar meant, and not that the entire world is going to be engulfed in some kind of cataclysmic event. Regardless, the media, religious extremists, and even Hollywood ran with it...

@Tyranexx No no, you misunderstood: the reboot is still to happen, or would have happened, had the Mayas still been here. It's actually quite interesting to read up on. It could even have been some kind of disease, or simply genes dying out, because of isolation, and so on. We will never know if they would have come down from their mountain and jungle areas, had they still been here, so the gene pool might have been corrupted over time, seeing as there were only so many tribes.

You see stuff like that happening to smaller tribes all around the world, who are also still living in isolation: they simply cease to exist at some point, because of a variety of reasons, but the isolation, and the effect of that on their population because of that, probably the main one.

Y2K was another story entirely. We can't blame the Mayans or Western misinterpretation of their calendar for that one. Probably Bill Gates and his buddies, or the Apple crew. I don't know who are the ones that actually came up with the wonderful idea to limit the electronic calendar in computers, to an extent that it might have potentially caused a worldwide computer crash...

@Link-Hero @NintendoByNature The discussion wasn't actually about Y2K, but about the supposed end of the world in 2012, because some idiot misinterpreted a Mayan calendar...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Heavyarms55

One thing about apps on phones I never hear people complaining about - that I really hate - is the whole double update thing. I plug my phone in in the evening, tell it to do all its updates, then the next morning go to do something, open some app, and it's like "lolJK, still got one more download, in-app, to do, it's 1.1GB, want to do it over mobile data?"

No, I don't want to do that, that's why I plugged you in at home, last night, and told you to update then, on Wi-Fi!

I wonder if it is deliberate. Some under the table BS to push people into using more data. Not that I can't do it, but I shouldn't need to. It shouldn't be one update from the app store, then another one when you open the app! That's just redundant!

Yes, I am salty over seriously first world issues.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Interesting. I never thought about it that way. Tbh, it's been years since I've read anything on the 2012 subject. XD

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Heavyarms55

I remember Y2K. My mother totally bought into that scare! She was stockpiling jugs of water, canned and dry boxed food in the basement for months! Meanwhile my father was planning a vacation to Florida. lol

We did end up eating all the food though.

As for the 2012 stuff, my friends and I got together for new years at the end of 2011 and watched the movie "2012" in celebration. That was cool. That movie is a fun kind of bad.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Anti-Matter

You will NEVER knew when is the end of day.
Regardless you are religious or not, from Science point of view, every solar system have their life span. Nothing is eternal, so don't be scared. Our Earth maybe will be blown away by SuperNova someday, and all the nearby will scaterred away into dust. Every solar system lifespan will be ended.

Speaking about prophecy about doomsday, in my logical thinking it was created by someone or something to scare us and we must believe in Religion X or Y or Z to get salvation. I thought it was like a Competition who can get the best salvation from each religions and each religions has their own pros and cons. I don't think the date of Doomsday can be set exactly like calculator. It just someone made and lied, just for the sake or gain attention or competitive tactics between religions.
Nobody Ever can predict the date of Doomsday and for me Nor even the God or any Supreme being made that ultimatum. I think it's insane to create an universe, colored with some drama by sins and griefs, add with sugar by salvations and then scrap out all made being when the creator is bored.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Matthew010

I find these "end of the world" things really funny. People get worked up about a "prophecy" that has no real credibility. (Kinda like video game rumours.)

Matthew010

Anti-Matter

@Matthew010
More ridiculous and tragic, some peoples chose to suicide in mass on the date they claimed as the doomsday , found themselves died, laid on the ground and their souls realized the next day was still exist and everything was normal. Their souls might be in rage to accept that foolishness about miscalculated doomsday date.

Anti-Matter

LuigibrineTheGreat

So, my parent's car is now dead and my folks are now looking for another one. Can my life any more complicated!?!?!?

Also, for those interested, Brave Camilla got revealed for FEH!

Edited on by LuigibrineTheGreat

Be yourself, no matter who you are!
For me, that's being madly in love with fictional characters. Plz don't judge.
Yes, my first anime was High School DxD. Don't ask or judge!
Switch FC: SW-0507-9503-1127 | 3DS FC: 1736-0165-7775 | Battle.net: Luigibrine#1151

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Their calendar turned out to be garbage considering the Mayans are still here, and their society rebooted quite a long time before 2012....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Link-Hero Couldn't agree more. Of course, the usual suspects came out of the woodwork, and from under their rocks: religious zealots, doomsday prophets, and a couple of preppers, obviously...

@NEStalgia The original tribes are no longer here, they have long since been mixed and intermingled with their Spanish conquerors and other people. And obviously, since they weren't adhering to their own way of living anymore, even those descendants ultimately found themselves to be outside of (pure) Mayan culture, and as such the calendar did not apply to them anymore either.

And do keep in mind: we can laugh and ridicule all we want about stuff like this, but these people and other ancient tribes were already completely and correctly measuring time, the movement of stars and planets, and so much more (edit: while we were still under church rule to believe that the Earth was the center of the universe and what not), so there will at the very least always be a kernel of truth in calendars like these, even though they are more religious than scientific in nature. And as previously mentioned, they should always be seen in the right context.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

I just HAD to post this brilliant video that I came across today, concerning the validity of EA's continuous weird and rather hostile behavior towards Nintendo, and the idiotic, incoherent and always out of context ramblings of trash bag CEO Andrew Wilson. Someone should sic an adult, PG-rated Dennis the Menace on that particular idiot...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic