Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 29,481 to 29,500 of 35,367

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Every office expects every computer to be running email every minute of every day. I've not yet encountered any instance that is not true. And most emails are expected to be replied to within minutes and "minutes" is an outside extreme. Seconds are the norm.

For home, I mean it's communication central, but personally and for emails and notifications from Amazon, postal, etc, etc. I don't disagree with you at large in security, but email is the core of pretty much everything. No, work email and home email don't mix, generally, but I'm going to be checking emails frequently at home, not for work, but for product tracking, personal email, billing, annoing %*($#@ "2FA" schemes etc. NL I'm only going to check if I'm posting, or checking for something (but my email already would have told me there's a tag...) Even in the most secure environments I've dealt with, pretty much every desk has email permanently open because it's simply necessary. Basically, why have the computer at all if email's not open?

LOL....More OCD than you admit? I must be more American than you. If a big number is good, a bigger number is better!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Obviously, I was talking about a home situation. In the office, logging out of email accounts does not apply, and more importantly, FAR more strict and professional security measures are in place than in the average home situation.

And I'm not OCD, I just don't like useless things. If a button is there in place for me, I'd rather use it, than let it sit idle, and rack up to an insurmountable number, which just seems really weird to me. I'm pretty sure most users on here use that notification button.

Oh, and bigger is better hasn't been cool anymore since the late nineties, regardless of whether or not a certain idiot wants to make everything great again...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

HobbitGamer

Taking my lunch to go pick up and install new IAC and TPS sensors on the truck. It’s the last ditch before resigning myself to buy a new PCM.
Saw that Starlink gets DLC next week. Between that and the VR updates for BotW and SMO, at least I can pretend vehicles don’t exist when I’m home 😂

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Well, at home, the computer is locked down and encrypted. And the phone is also locked and encrypted and always on my person. Not to mention, if they could get access to open email, they could also get access to your password manager, if you're worried about local attacks. And if the password manager locks down, why doesn't the PC lock down?

You've been away too long. Bigger is still better here, except for snobby little snowflakes that push weird Whole Foods ideologies from the back of their Priuses. And except for California as a whole which, to be fair, has run out of potable drinking water, and I'm pretty sure the masses have started eating each other.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia As I told you, I'm not the average Joe. I've got measures upon measures upon measures. Did you not notice me mentioning having followed an online safety course during my education? And I've kept that knowledge up to date ever since then. What I said earlier about even making it ever so slightly harder to break into your house (or computer) than with the people next door is both an ironclad truth, and a rule to live by. But a lot of people are either dumb, clueless or far too trusting, which is also why phishing and so on is still an active (and relatively easy to maintain) hobby for some of these shady individuals...

Although for most of us, who really don't possess any worthwhile information other than finance-related info for small time hackers, it's never going to be that hard to stay out of the sights of the real evil-doers anyway, since none, or almost none of us work for any government agency, which might lead to us forming a potential security leak for said agency, especially if we don't separate our work related mail from our private mail, when at home...

As for the other part: no, not really. I may not be living there anymore, but thanks to the instant spread of info and media, it's pretty easy to keep tabs. The bigger is better slogan has become its own joke, a farce that is mainly used by certain businesses (such as food-related establishments), but in general, even people in America are starting to become a bit more wise to the world...

And you don't even have to be a vegan or electric car driver to come to any sane conclusion either...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Just because "bigger is better" is a meme doesn't mean it's not still the actual standard - because it is. Actually everything keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger. (Except food portions and things where that would actually imply gaining value....that doesn't get bigger...)

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Food not getting bigger in America? You must be joking...
I've seen a special on a hamburger joint, I believe it was in Vegas, where the waitresses wear nurses costumes and where they serve up so-called "heart-attack burgers", with so many meat patties in them, that they probably need at least an entire calf to make them...

And you're on the inside, so you can't be neutral/objective in your views. I'm an American living in Europe:
I'm simply the best of both worlds.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@subpopz We also have places like that over here. And one of my uncles moved to a village in Denmark, where the same was completely normal, every day behavior.

Over here in Amsterdam, though, if I don't put (at least) 2 locks/chains on my bike when I park it, it'll be gone in less than a day. Ever since I've lived here, I've lost a total of 7 bikes that way. Luckily not motor bikes...

StableInvadeel

I remember one time I loged into my twitter account after a really long time and for some reason I was following like hundreds of other weird random accounts, most of them in other languages I can't even read, like arabic and russian.

So yay, I was part of a sub-bot.

Just had to change the password and that fixed the problem. I did have to unfollow them by hand though...

Also one time a literal russian hacker stole my Origin account (which has no bank information attached to it). All he did was redeem free games for me. So ok.

Invading your ranch, taking your cows.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Vegas...well....yeah that's its own little bubble of the cosmos. Sure, touristy weird stuff that touts excess for excess sake is one thing. I mean the normal world.

Yeah but your in Amsterdam, so after all the beer, everything looks smaller!

@subpopz I can not put into words how envious I am! Once upon a time it was like that around here. Little orchards on the corner with free apples on the trees at the fence....now it's ever constant urban creep. It starts with 200 tract homes and an office complex and before you know it' it's gas stations and convenience stores gridded every 10 feet. with 3 stop lights between, but you can't tell because there's 500 cars in continuous train formation at all times and it takes 10 minutes just to get out of your own street.

@Morpheel is working with the Russians CONFIRMED!!!1

NEStalgia

StableInvadeel

I finally got my copy of sonic adventure dx.

Turns out the thing had been here in the local mail office for over 40 days, but since it wasn't a priority package they simply didn't care enough to deliver it before.

We had to go pick it up ourselves. Keep in mind, I also had to call them myself to even check if the thing was still part of this timeline.

The disc is still in its box, but it was loose inside, and there's no instruction manual. Also the inner ring part was copletely covered in toothpaste.

"Very Good condition!"

At least it works I guess...

On a brighter note, they also had my Arpeegees pins pack, and I got an ultra rare.

Edited on by StableInvadeel

Invading your ranch, taking your cows.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Speaking of the modern world....I want to hit something any time I read Android app reviews of music service apps. Also speaking of useless updates to interfaces, Deezer music updated their Android app recently. It went from a nice app, one of the prettiest music service native apps around...but with some weird UI quirks (having to go back multiple times to get to navigation) and a ton of bugs or missing features or limitations people have been harping on for months or years....and instead they rewrote the entire app! It looks different now. Before it had a blurred large album art behind the album art. People wanted a black interface for night use and for OLED displays to save battery. So they got rid of the rear artwork entirely and replaced it with full page color-changing to match the album art. Not only did they break what they had, but they didn't break it to provide what people actually wanted. They moved the nav bar to the bottom...good....but then they left all the navigation problems in place, and all the bugs and missing features are still there/not there.

But worse, I went to the user reviews to see the feedback. Ohhh boy. Half the reviews there are 1-star complaints ranting about how it's horrible you can't play any music you want unless you pay for premium. I don't mean people wishing it were free. I mean very angry ranting at how horrendous this company is for making you pay money for music....the starting point being the very genuine belief that music, universally, is always a free thing, and this horrible company is charging money to use their app to listen to music that is otherwise free everywhere else.

How did we get to the point that an entire industry's output is genuinely believed by significant portions of the population to be a free public service for all? And any company that charges extremely modest amounts of money ($10/mo ($7.99 if your pay for a year up front) for unlimited rental access is pretty darned reasonable for dozens of millions of records to borrow at whim - CDs at my public library used to be $.75 each for a week, limit 3 at a time back in the 90's!) But apparently large amounts of people believe it's all supposed to be given to them because they exist.

Guess what, that fun is coming to games, too! How dare Metroid Prime 6 cost $60, or $8.99 a month to play! "Games are supposed to be free! I can play any of these on my PC whenever I want! SO GREEDY IM DELETING UR APP!!! DONT GET IS HORRIBLE THEY WAN U 2 PAY JUS 2 PLAY!!!! PLZ MAEK IT FREE NOT EVERY1 CAN AFFORD 2 PAY FOR PREMIUM!!"

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Morpheel Toothpaste? Why toothpaste in a game case?

I. Do. Not. Understand. People.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Ninfan

Does anyone play super monkey ball on the 3DS

Ninfan

3DS Friend Code: 5430-2977-8452 | My Nintendo: Nin10dofan | Nintendo Network ID: 462971 name nin10dofan

NEStalgia

@Morpheel Aah....interesting. So...it's cavity-free? Whitened? Does it have that all day fresh feeling? Is it kissably clean?

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic