Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 29,501 to 29,520 of 96,533

bimmy-lee

@NEStalgia - My first thought was Los Angeles Spanish, which would be a pigeon mix with English, but it could also be Latin American Spanish, which could be true, official Spanish. Been thinking about it since last night, and now I need to know, even risking appearing ignorant.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Eel

It's Latin American Spanish.

Aka the one that doesn't sound European.

Not every Latin American variation of Spanish sounds the same, but as far as I know movies tend to have only one LA Spanish dub, which tries to sound as neutral as possible.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

bimmy-lee

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Love learning about languages. Neutral, broadly understood Spanish then. Wish I would have taken Spanish in high school.

limby-bee was a jerk.

HobbitGamer

Soooo Shadow is like Sailor Moon now?

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - So did someone from Pizza Hut read our pages of discussion about their glory days and try to recreate their old pan pizza recipe, or did they tweak their existing recipe?

limby-bee was a jerk.

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Probably switched to Slim Jim’s and beef jerky instead of pepperoni and sausage

limby-bee was a jerk.

Vinny

It's been a while since I last posted here
Miss you guys...

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee How could they possibly make it WORSE than it has been? I mean they brought a good product to absolute rock bottom. If it were any worse it should just be Elios and be done with it.

Slim Jims are expensive! It's just the usual "random meat processing scraps dyed pink and pepper added, soaked in water" they normally use.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

Okay, maybe they just buy the floor sweepings from around the meat mold presses at the Slim Jim and Tijuana Mama Pickled Sausage processing plants.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

Morpheel wrote:

Well, for me Will Smith sounds like the Mexican guy that has been dubbing him for the least 20 or so years.

They're pretty consistent with their dub actor choices, at least.

So it's fine.

But that was just my point: never knowing the REAL actor's/actress' voice, which is infinitely weird. Doesn't matter if it's always the same person doing the dub. Like the others said, there's also delivery, tone, emphasis on words and such, which are unique for each and every individual in the world. And in a lot of cases, at least in my experience, the dub doesn't sound anything like the original voice, so they're also not always taking into account a heavy, low, or a high-pitched voice, and all of that has an impact.

Now, as I said before, if you grew up with that, and as such are completely used to it, then of course you'd be completely comfortable with whomever is doing a certain actor's voice, but still. And besides that, you obviously speak perfect English, so I'd imagine you'd have no trouble whatsoever watching any movie in its native English language.

On a side note: now that you mentioned that the Spanish voice of Will Smith also does the singing, I immediately started thinking about the Spanish version of 'The Fresh Prince of Bel Air' and it's title song.
I'd seriously have to wonder if they were able to stay true to the original text, and kept the rhyming of the words intact. Probably not, so if you would then take the Spanish version and translate that back to English again, there probably wouldn't be much left of the original song.

So, that's another thing why I would prefer the original, even though I'm bilingual as well. I do have to say that I have seen dubs of movies, mostly animation, that have managed to capture the original intent quite well, but in real life/live action movies I always feel a disconnect if I don't see the voices matching up with the words the actors are mouthing, so no lip sync, gone immersion, gone entertainment, hello annoyance...

But of course, that's just me. As mentioned before, if dubs is what you grew up with and are used to, then people are probably nearly always fine with them.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

HobbitGamer

@ThanosReXXX I mean, I dub you as the Swedish Chef in my head sometimes. It doesn’t sound weird to me.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Heavyarms55

@NintendoByNature Not free, but we did get a pretty significant discount. And I could make it myself too, which meant I could be a bit more generous with the cheese and such.

We did have another manager who did have a good point of giving "mistakes" and "leftovers" that we couldn't sell to the homeless. Whether that was policy or just something she did I don't know. But that manager was pretty cool. She once told a rude customer who threatened to never to come back "Go, we don't want you here!" The customer had been screaming at one of our servers, a poor little 110 pound high school girl who had like, 3 weeks on the job...

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Eel

Here you go, the fresh prince of bel air, translated from Spanish to English by yours truly:

And this is the story, pay attention
Of how my life got transformed
It changed from up to low, which I never thought of
And I came to be prince of all of bel-air

In Philadelphia I was born and raised
With chewing gum and basket(ball) I was happy
Always easy going, no rush or anything
No such thing as school, installed in laziness

Then the thugs, I ignore why
Came looking for trouble, and I faced them
My momma, scared, very seriously told me:
You’re moving right now with your uncles in bel-air

I cried and pleaded all night and day long
But she made my luggage and sent me with my aunt
Gave me a big kiss and a plane ticket
ANd I said to myself: Will, just give up

What class! In a champagne glass
they gave me my juice
What a joke, if in bel-air they live like this,
I thought about it all... It could be alright.

I called a taxi, and upon looking at it
I noticed it said fresh, and I dunno why
Didn’t think it was important and I boarded it
And I said to myself: you’re almost in bel-air!

And so, I came to a very fancy mansion
And said to my cab driver: put on some deodorant
Gazing upon my kingdom I finally thought:
The prince of all bel-air has arrived!

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer I should probably finger-snap you for that, but you're safe because you like pineapple pizza, and there's only so many of us fans of that particular recipe, so I'll look past it, just this once...

Speaking of my virtual self, I finally got a chance to grab a friend and go and see End Game, only to see my other me get dusted, which was weird. I thought the 'lobbing off the head scene' was a far more fitting demise, both for a villain AND a demi-god, seeing as it was another godlike warrior performing the deed, but apparently, the defeat had to be even more ignominious.

Oh, well... They had some nice setups towards phase 4, what with all the role switching of certain characters, and tons of hidden messages and Easter eggs. All in all, it was a pretty long movie, and at the end, we found ourselves having needlessly sat through all of the credits, to wait for one of those infamous Marvel after-credits scenes, only to find out that there was none, this time...

On a side note: also found out that we should have watched Captain Marvel first. Glad that this was so clearly advertised, NOT. But good that I know that now, so I'll just use the Infinity Stones to go back in time, and buy tickets for that movie instead...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@Morpheel I rest my case. The defense has no further questions, your honor...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic