Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Book Club

Posts 281 to 292 of 292

Rambler

Currently got a few on the go

Hawksmoor by Pater Ackroyd. 17c /20c murder mystery fun

Honour by Elif Shafak - honour killing and it's fallout in London and rural Turkey

The Room by Hubert Selby Jr - it's not the most upsetting novel ever written contrary to what is said on the internet (so far, anyway)

Rambler

AegisPrime

Read "My Broken Mariko" by Waka Hirako, and it was fantastic. Absolute tonal masterclass.

Also reading through "The Flowers of Evil" by Shuzo Oshimi which has been pretty solid so far. I like reading stuff about jerks (guess the profanity filter is super sensitive here) and complicated characters, even if there's a few moments that go a bit out there.

Edited on by AegisPrime

Play 13 Sentinels:Aegis Rim, read Mushishi and Scum's Wish, support indies.

jump

I've just started reading The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix.

I've got no idea if the writer is any good or if the book has been well reviewed. I just heard the premise that the surviors of those Halloween, Friday 13th etc type movies have a support group to get over it the incident years/decades later and sounded too intriguing to pass up.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Eel

That does sound like a fun read.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Late

I used to love books as a kid but only recently got back into reading as far as traditional books go. Majority of the books I read are murder mysteries. You know, Agatha Christie and stuff.

I've always preferred physical books but when I saw NISIOISIN's books on Humble Bundle last month, I decided to give them a go. I had no previous experience with their books and started with Kizumonogatari which features vampires and reads like a basic superhero shonen manga but in a book form. The Monogatari series has bunch of books but I decided to move onto the Nonsense User / Zaregoto series after the first book.

I'm currently reading Suspension, the third light novel in the Zaregoto series. They are crime/mystery novels but with Japanese flavor. The characters feel like manga characters but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing in this case. It's just different from the more serious murder mysteries I've been reading. The main character is an empty shell of a human being due to some things that happened in the past so it's hard to follow their thought process at times and the other characters are all quirky in their own ways. I enjoy them but I don't know if I'd recommend them.

Late

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Mana_Knight

Currently reading WILL by Will Smith. Fantastic read. Highly recommended.

He almost had to call his son Jaden 'Luigi' as he promised his other son that he would be allowed to name him. Kid was playing Mario Kart 64 at the time Will asked him, and really did not want to talk, so that is what he replied with. When Will pressed for another name he liked he wouldn't budge on it! Haha. Ended up buying him a Puppy and allowing him to name that Luigi instead.

Edited on by Mana_Knight

Mana_Knight

VoidofLight

I got a copy of a book with all the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Currently Playing: SoulCalibur VI, Professor Layton and the curious village, SMT V.

AegisPrime

Finished Murakami's "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle". Was pretty good.

I liked but was underwhelmed by Ishiguro's "Never Let Me Go" and thought it felt very "western", meanwhile "Wind-up Bird" felt very authentically Japanese and I enjoyed it a lot.

I guess I'm just not a fan of typical western literary fiction.

AegisPrime

Ahha yeah, that makes sense lol.

GongShowJ03

I am currently reading "The Shadow of the Gods" by John Gwynne. I'm only about ten chapters deep, but it's an easy read so far. If you're a fan of Skyrim or the television show Vikings, it's in the same vein.

GongShowJ03

Eel

I took a bit of a break from reading after finishing five weeks in a balloon. Turns out physical books require a bit of a proper mood, and being at my desk in my dimly lit home office doesn’t spark that mood.

Sigh I gotta invest in a real “reading corner”!

The digital books I have “active” at the moment are Pet Sematary and The Shining. But they’re both at the ugly parts at the same time so I’ve been kind of avoiding them for now.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic