Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Book Club

Posts 281 to 300 of 583

jump

I've just started reading The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix.

I've got no idea if the writer is any good or if the book has been well reviewed. I just heard the premise that the surviors of those Halloween, Friday 13th etc type movies have a support group to get over it the incident years/decades later and sounded too intriguing to pass up.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Late

I used to love books as a kid but only recently got back into reading as far as traditional books go. Majority of the books I read are murder mysteries. You know, Agatha Christie and stuff.

I've always preferred physical books but when I saw NISIOISIN's books on Humble Bundle last month, I decided to give them a go. I had no previous experience with their books and started with Kizumonogatari which features vampires and reads like a basic superhero shonen manga but in a book form. The Monogatari series has bunch of books but I decided to move onto the Nonsense User / Zaregoto series after the first book.

I'm currently reading Suspension, the third light novel in the Zaregoto series. They are crime/mystery novels but with Japanese flavor. The characters feel like manga characters but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing in this case. It's just different from the more serious murder mysteries I've been reading. The main character is an empty shell of a human being due to some things that happened in the past so it's hard to follow their thought process at times and the other characters are all quirky in their own ways. I enjoy them but I don't know if I'd recommend them.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Mana_Knight

Currently reading WILL by Will Smith. Fantastic read. Highly recommended.

He almost had to call his son Jaden 'Luigi' as he promised his other son that he would be allowed to name him. Kid was playing Mario Kart 64 at the time Will asked him, and really did not want to talk, so that is what he replied with. When Will pressed for another name he liked he wouldn't budge on it! Haha. Ended up buying him a Puppy and allowing him to name that Luigi instead.

Edited on by Mana_Knight

Mana_Knight

VoidofLight

I got a copy of a book with all the Sherlock Holmes stories.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

GongShowJ03

I am currently reading "The Shadow of the Gods" by John Gwynne. I'm only about ten chapters deep, but it's an easy read so far. If you're a fan of Skyrim or the television show Vikings, it's in the same vein.

GongShowJ03

Eel

I took a bit of a break from reading after finishing five weeks in a balloon. Turns out physical books require a bit of a proper mood, and being at my desk in my dimly lit home office doesn’t spark that mood.

Sigh I gotta invest in a real “reading corner”!

The digital books I have “active” at the moment are Pet Sematary and The Shining. But they’re both at the ugly parts at the same time so I’ve been kind of avoiding them for now.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

XandertheWise

Im currently reading The Silmarillion along with Micheal Chricton's Jurassic Park. Been a long long time since i read the original Jurassic Park novel since it had darker and graphic stuff in the very beginning

XandertheWise

Eel

Ah Jurassic Park is my favorite novel. I like how you can find little bits of it in every JP/JW movie.

Have fun with it!

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

jump

I've just discovered a genre I've never heard of before called Solarpunk. It's like cyberpunk but for hippies using tech to fix global warming. So I've ordered A Psalm for the Wild by Becky Chambers to give it a try.

Eel wrote:

I took a bit of a break from reading after finishing five weeks in a balloon. Turns out physical books require a bit of a proper mood, and being at my desk in my dimly lit home office doesn’t spark that mood.

Sigh I gotta invest in a real “reading corner”!

The digital books I have “active” at the moment are Pet Sematary and The Shining. But they’re both at the ugly parts at the same time so I’ve been kind of avoiding them for now.

A dimly lit room sounds like a perfect mood setting for Stephen King though. I suppose you can try reading it in an abandon mental hospital or the wreckage of a burnt down church for a better ambience?

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

Second-hand bookshop browsing at the weekend worked out well:
Chatterton by Peter Ackroyd. Although not a mystery, it can help me in my search for my copy of Hawksmoor.

Alma Cogan by Gordon Burn. Has a very tasteful cover of a pop-art Cogan and Myra Hindly. I've only read Burn's journalism, but have heard very good things about this. Postmodern fictionalised fact as a corrective to nostalgia.

The Stars in the Bright Sky by Alan Warner. Sequel to The Sopranos (no - not the NJ gangsters, but the small-town girls' choir on the lash). That book was one of my favourites when it first came out about 25 years ago, so hopefully this stands up well. Having said that, I've still got his These Demented Lands unread on my shelf (Morven Caller is amazing as well though)

Rambler

Gryffin

Finished The War of the Worlds the other day. Couldn't believe how awesome it was.

Gryffin

XandertheWise

@Eel yeah the Jurassic Park 3 uses a little bit of the T rex at the river and waterfall moment from the original Jurassic Park novel.

Shame that the movies never go into the whole frog dna gibber jabber from the Jurassic Park novel.

XandertheWise

Eel

@XandertheWise they reference it on the first Jurassic World (along with the divorce subplot for the kids!)

I think the first Jurassic Park movie makes a mention of it too.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

XandertheWise

currently reading Stephen King's Duma Key and Hyperion Endymion

XandertheWise

Eel

It’s been a delayed process, but I’m almost done with Pet Sematary (decided to focus on that one for now since I haven’t been reading as much).

It’s getting pretty intense. You really want Louis to come to his senses and stop, but being such a popular story it’s inevitable knowing where this is going.

After that I’ll continue with The Shining, and probably The Exorcist after that.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

jump

@Eel You should read Doctor Sleep after The Shining. It's the sequel to The Shining and I really liked it, it's lighter on scares but it's more weirdly fun and the characters are richer.

Nicolai wrote:

Fizza

Went to a book sale there recently and picked up a few new ones:

• McDonald's - Behind the Arches: A book on the founding and story of McDonald's and how it came to be the biggest fast food franchise in the world. I may hate the restaurant but the story is far too interesting to pass up.
  • Candor: A book by Pam Bachorz about a boy called Oscar who lives the perfect life as the mayor's son in the town of Candor. The catch? Every single resident is brainwashed to make them lose free will, making it easy for said mayor to rule the village. However, when a new girl arrives that Oscar falls in love with, he has to make the difficult decision to keep things as they are or risk it all to keep the person he loves the same. The premise immediately caught my eye and am excited to start reading it once I get the opportunity to do so.
  • The Illustrated History of Football: A compilation of archived newspaper articles by the Sunday Times documenting different eras of classical football over the last 100 years (up to the book's print in 1995). It's the kind of book me and my dad absolutely adore so I just had to pick it up.

And lastly:

• The DC Comics Encyclopedia: A thorough guide of every character in the DC Universe, from as iconic as Batman to as obscure as Owlwoman. These are the kinds of books I live for, having similar books for brands like Pokemon, Marvel and, as previously mentioned, football. It's great being able to go to any page in the book and immediately find something interesting to read. Very glad I managed to pick this up.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic