Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Book Club

Posts 261 to 270 of 270

TheJGG

@Tyranexx I think you have, it's certain other people can tell you how they enjoyed it. While I can appreciate that I still despise it with every fibre of my English speaking soul. Either way Shakespeare has a large enough range that you can pretend it doesn't exist lol. Arthurian legends are really fascinating. Not many filmmakers have been able to truly capture what it meant to be a knight at the Round Table but many have tried. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is fascinating but in a weird, terrible way. And The Green Knight is fascinating in a weird, good way.

I realised a few of the Unique Monsters from Xenoblade are named after knights of said Round Table, tell me if you recognise the following names; Agalove, Bors, Galahad, Gawain, Lancelot, Mordred, Tristan.

SoundCloud - Xenoblade Novel

Currently playing?
F1 2021 (PS5)
Death Stranding (PS5)
KH III (PS4)
No Man's Sky (PS5)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG | Twitter:

Tyranexx

@TheJGG I think that's one of the great things about Shakespeare's work: there's enough variety that there's bound to be a work that suits almost everyone. I'm aware of a few King Arthur film attempts, though those have been...varied. I do intend to see Disney's The Sword in the Stone at some point, though I realize, despite my limited knowledge, this is a very loose interpretation of the source material. I believe Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is one of the most popular works, one I've heard of but admittedly haven't read.

I recognize a few of those Xenoblade names, namely Galahad, Mordred, and (ironically) Gawain.

Currently playing: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Luigi's Mansion 3

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Ryu_Niiyama

Just finished Chimanda Ngozi Adichie’s Dear Ijeawele and now I’m filling up an amazon cart to binge the rest of her books. For lighter fare I am working on I’m in love with the Villainess by Inori. Triple reading this one (original in Japanese, English translation and the manga). Rereading Kyudo since I’ve not been to the dojo since the pandemic started so my library and home training keep me connected. Also inching through The Half has Never Been Told by Edward Baptist.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Themagusx1

I been reading Mistborn and I am curious who else enjoys the works of Brandon Sanderson. He is a great writer IMO.

Themagusx1

Lugazz

I've been reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

First time reading something like this (my brother gave it to me), usually I read fantasy or horror. I'm enjoying it a lot, some very good food for thought!

Lugazz

TheJGG

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Just finished Chimanda Ngozi Adichie’s Dear Ijeawele

Ha, I just started studying some of her short stories. Pretty fun ride at times, plus it kinda reminded me of some similar literature I read when I lived in eastern Africa a few years back.

SoundCloud - Xenoblade Novel

Currently playing?
F1 2021 (PS5)
Death Stranding (PS5)
KH III (PS4)
No Man's Sky (PS5)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG | Twitter:

Eel

(About The Shinning)

I'm now 1/4th done with the book, and while the "good stuff" hasn't happened yet, it's been really interesting to have some insight about what goes on with Jack Torrance.

There's an implication that he has some sort of shine to him: the cook is able to identify something in him, but he decides it's definitely not a shinning. While you have Danny losing control of his body and having out of body experiences that give him information, Jack has out-of-mind experiences and loses control of his temper instead, even sober, which leads to destructive behavior.

He's completely in denial about it too, constantly reminding himself that he's not actively participating, bad things just happen to him. So his "ability" seems to be the complete opposite of the shinning. No wonder the bad things in the hotel are able to influence him; while Danny is aware of the things around him and is cautious, Jack is already convinced that he's nothing but a prop.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Rambler

Doctor Glas by Hjalmar Söderberg.
Modernist ethical and moral dilemmas in fin de siecle Sweden.

@Eel - one of the things I've found with Kubrick's films is that, for me, reading the source novel enriches the viewing experience.
I'm not a big fan of the book of the Shining, but the background stuff with Danny and Jack is great, and Jack is not just a baddie from the get-go.
Plus it has a wonderful first line.

Rambler

Ryu_Niiyama

Been a quiet morning for once and I decided not to work today. Grabbed a quick run through of Very Good Lives by JK Rowling. Very insightful speech, with a nice balance of humor, dark honesty and optimism. I have no interest in Harry Potter but have been wanting to read something by her for a while. It is also amusing that since she gave this speech the same year I graduated undergrad and she opened with a joke about how when reflecting on the commencement speech of her youth she couldn't remember it. Which reminded me that I don't remember much of mine except that it was delivered by Big Bird.

Still working on my previous list but also adding The Standard Model and Beyond by JD Vergados. It's a nice light read without side stepping the math(s) of the subject matter.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Maximumbeans

Themagusx1 wrote:

I been reading Mistborn and I am curious who else enjoys the works of Brandon Sanderson. He is a great writer IMO.

Just a week or two ago I finally finished Oathbringer. Stormlight Archives is the first series I've read by Sanderson.
He's definitely a decent writer. I think his real talents shine in imagination and worldbuilding, but there are times his writing makes me roll my eyes and a few times I've been totally taken out of the story.
As much as I do like the man and his work, he really struggles to pull off witty characters. Also, and this is just personal preference, I really don't like how he uses italics so liberally to emphasise things.
Regardless, enjoy the books and ready to keep on reading them.

Maximumbeans

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic