Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Book Club

Posts 241 to 260 of 270

damien33ad

@Tyranexx i have clue how he lived earlier in life. I know he struggled with addiction. I don't like his leftist politics but doesn't bother me personally. Each their own. Speaking of books though Shakespeare's Macbeth is phenomenal. I can't read Shakespeare without the explanatory notes but its seriously worth a read for anyone who has never read it. At least in my country they don't make you read it in school so didn't read until was older and well worth the short time took to read.

damien33ad

jump

@damien33ad Macbeth is a play, not a book ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Eel

I’m sure there’s been enough time for someone to make a novelization of it.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

jump

@Eel that wouldn’t make it Shakespeare’s Macbeth though and it’s normally the prompt script that is sold ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

BruceCM

Since there were books available with the individual plays in them as well as the collection being in bigger books, MacBeth is both a play & a book, lol

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

jump

@BruceCM you’ve actually got the wording right by avoiding calling it a novel or referring it to Shakespeare’s book. ;p

Untitled

Nicolai wrote:

BruceCM

Indeed, @jump .... If you're going to be pedantic, it's best to be precise, lol! Now go off & argue with Tolkien about why he shouldn't have Book 1 & 2 of Fellowship of the Ring generally presented in one volume, presumably mostly just to mess with people & about whether his epic saga is a trilogy or not?

SW-4357-9287-0699

jump

@BruceCM That’s the least of The Lord Of Rings problems, it’s a a bunch of books about walking, even the trees walk as that’s how desperate they were for padding.

Nicolai wrote:

Eel

There’s a bit of flying too

Bloop.

My dead channel.

BruceCM

& talking, @jump .... Along with occasional fighting?

SW-4357-9287-0699

damien33ad

@BruceCM thank you.
@jump I'm surprised u didn't chastise me for referring Apt Pupil as a read because its technically a short story though being nearly 90 pages. I'm sorry I won't break the language law again officer

damien33ad

jump

@BruceCM i don't remember any fighting and talking in it, was that when it was in Elvishh? You know it's proper sophisticated stuff when it's in a different language.

Speaking of, that reminds me of one of my favourite quotes about Lord Of The Rings. Untitled

@damien33ad Well since you're talking about not breaking the language law you spelt" you" wrong again. ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Tyranexx

@damien33ad I was mainly referring to the addiction angle. I'm happy he got out of it all and changed his life for the better, and I know addiction is a very hard monster to wrestle.

I read a little Shakespeare in high school as part of a couple of reading units (namely Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet) and do need to get into some of his other works sometime. I do sort of know how Julius Caesar plays out though lol. I might actually check out some of his comedies as I have no experience with them.

Currently playing: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Luigi's Mansion 3

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

damien33ad

@Tyranexx his comedies are actually pretty good too. Chaucer has a great work that has good deal of comedy in it too Canterbury Tales.

Several years ago I read dozens of books from various philosophers and was probably best thing ever did. The Republic was incredible. It seems reading philosophy helps teach you to think succinctly and precise manner. Helps to see the objective truth in whatever point considering.

And yes glad King got clean. He came from that Era too when using drugs was cool...kind kf like today where it is glamorized

damien33ad

Eel

Heh it seems like Amazon accidentally leaked some upcoming kindle models, the model comparison for the basic kindle now includes a new Paperwhite with adjustable light color, and a second paperwhite model with wireless charging and other features.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

Tyranexx

@damien33ad I'll take your word on both! I want to say I've read an excerpt from Canterbury Tales, though I confess it was so long ago that I don't recall the content.

I need to dig more into philosophers too. That's an area in which I'm severely lacking.

TheJGG

@Tyranexx Tragically I studied The Tempest three years ago, and regrettably I can say that was easily the worst, most disinteresting work of Shakespeare I have ever had the displeasure of encountering. Macbeth and R&J for me were simply simply lovely, same with A Midsummer Night's Dream and Othello.

We did study Beowulf a while ago though. Arthurian legends too at home, watched a movie called The Green Knight about Sir Gawain and his Christmas bet.

SoundCloud - Xenoblade Novel

Currently playing?
F1 2021 (PS5)
Death Stranding (PS5)
KH III (PS4)
No Man's Sky (PS5)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG | Twitter:

Tyranexx

@TheJGG I've heard of The Tempest but haven't studied that one; seems like I dodged a bullet there! The other two are classic works I'd like to explore at some point.

We covered some Arthurian legends too, though not in detail. Namely content involving Lancelot du Lac. We covered Beowulf in one of my German classes, reading the tale in German. Some interesting material to be sure (love the bit with Grendel), though almost every other character, at least in the format presented to my class, was very one dimensional.

Dogorilla

I did The Tempest at school and liked it much more than Macbeth. English lessons tend to suck the joy out of reading anything though.

Currently Playing:
I don't even know any more, I have so many video games, help me

Eel

I took a King break and added a third book to the rotation.

It's a random book I got for free on amazon, "Murder at Mile Marker 18". Seems to be a shorter, less serious, Clue-esque murder novel. And it comes with a recipe, according to the cover. Fancy!

So now I'm reading that until the percentage catches up with the other two books. Then I'll continue Pet Sematary, then The Shining, and I'll read them in that order until they're all done.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic