Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Book Club

Posts 241 to 260 of 583

jump

@Eel that wouldn’t make it Shakespeare’s Macbeth though and it’s normally the prompt script that is sold ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

BruceCM

Since there were books available with the individual plays in them as well as the collection being in bigger books, MacBeth is both a play & a book, lol

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

jump

@BruceCM you’ve actually got the wording right by avoiding calling it a novel or referring it to Shakespeare’s book. ;p

Untitled

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

BruceCM

Indeed, @jump .... If you're going to be pedantic, it's best to be precise, lol! Now go off & argue with Tolkien about why he shouldn't have Book 1 & 2 of Fellowship of the Ring generally presented in one volume, presumably mostly just to mess with people & about whether his epic saga is a trilogy or not?

SW-4357-9287-0699

jump

@BruceCM That’s the least of The Lord Of Rings problems, it’s a a bunch of books about walking, even the trees walk as that’s how desperate they were for padding.

Nicolai wrote:

BruceCM

& talking, @jump .... Along with occasional fighting?

SW-4357-9287-0699

jump

@BruceCM i don't remember any fighting and talking in it, was that when it was in Elvishh? You know it's proper sophisticated stuff when it's in a different language.

Speaking of, that reminds me of one of my favourite quotes about Lord Of The Rings. Untitled

@damien33ad Well since you're talking about not breaking the language law you spelt" you" wrong again. ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Tyranexx

@damien33ad I was mainly referring to the addiction angle. I'm happy he got out of it all and changed his life for the better, and I know addiction is a very hard monster to wrestle.

I read a little Shakespeare in high school as part of a couple of reading units (namely Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet) and do need to get into some of his other works sometime. I do sort of know how Julius Caesar plays out though lol. I might actually check out some of his comedies as I have no experience with them.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

Heh it seems like Amazon accidentally leaked some upcoming kindle models, the model comparison for the basic kindle now includes a new Paperwhite with adjustable light color, and a second paperwhite model with wireless charging and other features.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tyranexx

@damien33ad I'll take your word on both! I want to say I've read an excerpt from Canterbury Tales, though I confess it was so long ago that I don't recall the content.

I need to dig more into philosophers too. That's an area in which I'm severely lacking.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

jedgamesguy

@Tyranexx Tragically I studied The Tempest three years ago, and regrettably I can say that was easily the worst, most disinteresting work of Shakespeare I have ever had the displeasure of encountering. Macbeth and R&J for me were simply simply lovely, same with A Midsummer Night's Dream and Othello.

We did study Beowulf a while ago though. Arthurian legends too at home, watched a movie called The Green Knight about Sir Gawain and his Christmas bet.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Tyranexx

@TheJGG I've heard of The Tempest but haven't studied that one; seems like I dodged a bullet there! The other two are classic works I'd like to explore at some point.

We covered some Arthurian legends too, though not in detail. Namely content involving Lancelot du Lac. We covered Beowulf in one of my German classes, reading the tale in German. Some interesting material to be sure (love the bit with Grendel), though almost every other character, at least in the format presented to my class, was very one dimensional.

Dogorilla

I did The Tempest at school and liked it much more than Macbeth. English lessons tend to suck the joy out of reading anything though.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Eel

I took a King break and added a third book to the rotation.

It's a random book I got for free on amazon, "Murder at Mile Marker 18". Seems to be a shorter, less serious, Clue-esque murder novel. And it comes with a recipe, according to the cover. Fancy!

So now I'm reading that until the percentage catches up with the other two books. Then I'll continue Pet Sematary, then The Shining, and I'll read them in that order until they're all done.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

jedgamesguy

@Tyranexx I think you have, it's certain other people can tell you how they enjoyed it. While I can appreciate that I still despise it with every fibre of my English speaking soul. Either way Shakespeare has a large enough range that you can pretend it doesn't exist lol. Arthurian legends are really fascinating. Not many filmmakers have been able to truly capture what it meant to be a knight at the Round Table but many have tried. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword is fascinating but in a weird, terrible way. And The Green Knight is fascinating in a weird, good way.

I realised a few of the Unique Monsters from Xenoblade are named after knights of said Round Table, tell me if you recognise the following names; Agalove, Bors, Galahad, Gawain, Lancelot, Mordred, Tristan.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Tyranexx

@TheJGG I think that's one of the great things about Shakespeare's work: there's enough variety that there's bound to be a work that suits almost everyone. I'm aware of a few King Arthur film attempts, though those have been...varied. I do intend to see Disney's The Sword in the Stone at some point, though I realize, despite my limited knowledge, this is a very loose interpretation of the source material. I believe Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is one of the most popular works, one I've heard of but admittedly haven't read.

I recognize a few of those Xenoblade names, namely Galahad, Mordred, and (ironically) Gawain.

Ryu_Niiyama

Just finished Chimanda Ngozi Adichie’s Dear Ijeawele and now I’m filling up an amazon cart to binge the rest of her books. For lighter fare I am working on I’m in love with the Villainess by Inori. Triple reading this one (original in Japanese, English translation and the manga). Rereading Kyudo since I’ve not been to the dojo since the pandemic started so my library and home training keep me connected. Also inching through The Half has Never Been Told by Edward Baptist.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Themagusx1

I been reading Mistborn and I am curious who else enjoys the works of Brandon Sanderson. He is a great writer IMO.

Themagusx1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic