Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Book Club

Posts 181 to 200 of 584

VoidofLight

I'm probably going to start reading a bit more, starting tomorrow, mainly because I need to learn what other writers do when they write their stories, in order to write mine.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

jump

@VoidofLight If you want to be a writer than write, I know a couple of professional writers and they say the same thing of you need to actually spend time writing rather than fannying about with not writing.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

VoidofLight

@jump I know that I need to write. The only thing is I probably should at least research a bit and come up at least with locations before I start the book itself.

Eel

Creating a basic structure for your story and cast of characters could help. You know, like a list of bios for characters and places, and a short story that covers the main details.

From there things can grow and change, but you'd have something at least.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

VoidofLight

@Eel Yeah, I already have the cast bios set, and the story ideas written down. Thanks for the advice though!

urrutiap

Been reading Star Wars Courtship of Princess Leia for the past 2 hours earlier this morning. Still one of the best classic Star Wars novels. Then whenever Im done reading that im going to read Star Wars X Wing Wraith Squadron novel along with Iron Fist and Solo Command then the Jedi Academy Trilogy books

urrutiap

jump

I've finished reading Chicken by David Henry Sterry.

It's a decent read! It's a biography of a male prozzie in Hollywood but it doesn't try to be exploitative by glamourizing the lifestyle or have a pity party with the circumstances, it's told in this brilliantly ​unflinching way so it can be funny, deep and compassionate in it's own dark way when it wants. There are certain sticking points stuck in my head now like how the kid rewards himself by buying and eating a whole birthday cake every time he works a client so everytime I'm at a kids birthday party and they start eating cake I will think of this lol.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

MaryAux

I have started to read "Lord of the rings" and can confidently say that this book is addictive. There is very interesting and exciting plot. After "Lord of the rings" i want read "Hobbit"

Don't worry - be happy untill you die :D

VoidofLight

I read some of the Hobbit, and so far it's alright. I'm not a big fan of the brief writing style, but I'll probably get used to it.

Not to mention, the Hobbit is more of a children's book than anything, as he wrote it for his kids. I'll probably enjoy Lord of the Rings more.

Dogorilla

I read The Hobbit when I was 10 and found it really dull, and I still haven't managed to finish the first Lord of the Rings book. I want to like it but it just bores me to tears.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

MaryAux

@VoidofLight Oh, thanks for the brief review of "Hobbit". For some reason i thought that "Hobbit" maybe even more interesting and addictive than "Lord of the Rings". And honestly, i also can't read books with brief writing style.

MaryAux

@Dogorilla was you reading and crying? i think it looked like funny

Lugazz

@MaryAux I would totally recommend reading The Hobbit! The atmosphere is way different from The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but it is a very fun read! Way more light-hearted, tone gets little more serious here and there. But there is some magic to it, the "going on an adventure" as they said in the movie adaptatios (which are bad bad bad). Plus, it gives extra information on the universe itself, and some preparation for Fellowship of the Ring. You get to see how Bilbo got his possessions, his relationship with Gandalf and the elves, and how everyone else in the Shrine thinks he is an odd fellow.

But I also must say I am biased. I a big Tolkien fan. LotR, Hobbit, Silmarillion, Children of Húrin... I've read almost everyhing hahahahaha

Lugazz

Dogorilla

@MaryAux Ha, not literally tears... although my eyes may have been watering a bit from excessive yawning

Funky Kong

Lugazz

At the moment, I'm reading The Outsider by Stephen King. He is without a doubt my favorite writer in terms of quantity, there isn't a single book from him I've read that I disliked. I love how the prepares the situation with something supernatural, but the more horrendous and chaotic events are completely human made.

I might add: The Dark Tower is an amazing amazing book series. Way different from other fantasy books, without a focus on terror as other King's books.

Lugazz

Lugazz

@Dogorilla Oh yeah, I had to force myself to not give up on Fellowship of the Ring (first Tolkien book I read)! But once I got hooked, oh boy I got completely hooked xD

Lugazz

Eel

I read the hobbit some years ago, I thought it was fun, though the last few chapters felt a bit rushed.

On the subject of the present, I'm still reading Bioshock Rapture. Finished reading the set of chapters called "First Age of Rapture", which is about one fifth of the novel, and that started slow but caught me by the end. I even had dreams about it that night.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dogorilla

@Lugazz Oh, maybe there's still hope for me to enjoy the series at some point then. I was thinking I might watch the films first - I saw a bit of the first one once and, although it didn't hold my attention for long at the time, it was definitely more engaging than the book - and then if I like them I might feel more inclined to give the books another chance.

Funky Kong

Lugazz

@Dogorilla Yeah, do that! My first contact with Tolkien's universe was through the movie adaptations of LotR, a kid going to the movies hahahahah I was instantly fascinated by it. The adaptations are really well done, you can tell there was love poured into it (which was not the case for The Hobbit movies, that was pure greed! xD)
I only read the books while by mid high school years, had tried sooner once but it was futile.

Lugazz

MaryAux

@Lugazz Okaay, I will heed your advice and will read Hobbit too after it. And i would like to say that also some my friends told me about Silmarillion and they recommend read neccesarily it if i like Tolkien: D

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic