Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 6,521 to 6,540 of 6,574

CaleBoi25

My VAs for Inside Out emotions would all be me, because my only emotion is Sarcasm and no one does it better than I.

SplatComp

Don't tell the me moon is shining;
show me the glint of light on broken glass.
-Anton Chekhov

Sorry, I can't stop changing my PFP!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3225-4369-7994 | My Nintendo: CaleBoi25

jedgamesguy

Saw Dune: Part Two in my local cinema in the UK with nine friends on launch day but it wasn’t enough. Flew back home recently and tomorrow my family (and me lmao) are off to watch Dune again in our local IMAX theatre. Haven’t seen many movies in IMAX so I’m super excited to rediscover the feeling!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

XandertheWise

starting off this month I got some stuff to watch on tubi

couple of Cheech and Chong movies
the directors cut version of Donnie Darko
John Reep - Ginger beard Man
The Power (1984)

XandertheWise

ThatZeldaNerd

I just watched Godzilla X Kong: A New Empire with my dad. it was a fun time and great movie!

"I don't live for the world I live for the King" ~ NF

CaleBoi25 is PEAK

Switch Friend Code: SW-5348-4240-7813 | My Nintendo: ZeldaNerd

RR529

Godzilla X Kong: the New Empire 3D (Cinema) - Plot is about as dumb as a box of rocks, but man if this isn't the most fun I've had at the theatre this year. It's more Kong centric, but Godzilla definitely steals the show whenever he does show up on screen. The spectacle really shines in 3D too (whether it be Big G splattering bug guts everywhere, or all the dizzying twirling Hollow Earth shots & anti-grav shenanigans).

The Favourite (Blu-Ray) - Picked this up thrifting, and while it does have it's merits, I just don't think it's my kinda thing. That's okay though, it's good to take a step out of your comfort zone every once in awhile, even if it doesn't always pay off.

Summer Job (Tubi) - this 80's comedy doesn't have much in the way of a plot, just a bunch of college kids partying, pranking one another, & looking for romance while working a summer job at a beach resort, with a lot of screentime dedicated to beautiful beach bods, sunsets, and pristine waters (even with the effect a bit muted as it seems to be taken from a tape master, the definite SD resolution doesn't do it much favors). Still, it's fun if you're in the right mood.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

ThatZeldaNerd

@RR529 bro ur so right about the plot.(godzilla X kong) it was poor lol but still a fun watch

Edited on by ThatZeldaNerd

"I don't live for the world I live for the King" ~ NF

CaleBoi25 is PEAK

Switch Friend Code: SW-5348-4240-7813 | My Nintendo: ZeldaNerd

Rambler

@RR529
I think the Favourite is up there with Dogtooth, definitely better than The Lobster and Killing of a Sacred Deer. Have you seen Poor Things yet?

Rambler

RR529

@Rambler, it doesn't look like the type of thing I'd typically watch, so no I haven't yet. That doesn't mean I won't ever do so though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

XandertheWise

just found out a few minutes ago while browsing Netflix that they added the classic 1984 movie Iceman which I watched all the time on HBO back in the day when the Iceman movie would come on during the weekends in 1985.

Last two months, Netflix has had the old Its Alive movie. now they're doing another hidden 1980s movie addition this month with Nightmare on Elm Street 3, 4 and 5, Iceman, Firstborn( that Peter Weller bad guy movie), some old early 1980s romance comedy movie with Carol Burnett.

sadly Netflix doesnt have the Unrated version of Nightmare on Elm Street 5. But the old Iceman movie. Jeez its been a long long time since I saw it when it was on HBO back in the day in 1985

XandertheWise

XandertheWise

also surprised Tubi has the DIrectors Cut version of Donnie Darko

XandertheWise

RR529

From Up On Poppy Hill (Blu-Ray) - Set in 1960's Japan as the nation prepares for the Tokyo Olympics, a pair of high schoolers find love as they campaign for the restoration of a historic school facility earmarked for demolition, however secrets behind their parantage may bar them from being together. Absolutely brilliant film, definitely at or near the top of my Ghibli ranking. Very beautiful & emotional.

Minions: the Rise of Gru (Amazon Prime) - Pretty much run of the mill affair for what, the 5th(?) entry in this franchise. But hey, it was amusing enough, which is why they're able to churn out as many as they do.

Private Lessons (Tubi) - When the teenage son of a multimillionaire is left home alone while his father is away on a trip, he lives every teenage boy's fantasy when the new hot housemaid starts coming on to him. Turns out it's all part of a plot by the family's greedy chauffeur who's trying to blackmail the kid out of $10,000, and he has to find a way to get it back before dad comes home. It's so absurd it loops to being funny, although even by 80's standards I'm surprised this was allowed to be made (let alone available on a modern streaming platform).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

OldManHermit

Watched Mimic (1997) last night. Great creature feature from Guillermo Del Toro. He seems to have a fixation with monstrous genetic abominations living in sewers, which is a theme that's cropped up in a few of his movies. Anyway, the creature itself is quite unique, designed by effects artist Rob Bottin. Also the film was shot in my home town Toronto.

OldManHermit

card-crunch78

Huh, no one questioned the fact that I picked all female voices for my emotions even though I'm a guy.

Anyway, I just watched "Wreck-It Ralph" on Disney+ on my 4K TV, ha ha~

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

MontyCircus

RR529 wrote:

Godzilla X Kong: the New Empire 3D (Cinema) - Plot is about as dumb as a box of rocks

I LOVED Godzilla vs. Kong, but was really sad that I didn't get to watch it in theatres (we were in COVID lockdown). And here I was, in the theatre, watching the sequel, and the final battle comes and I was bored to tears and couldn't wait to get out of the theatre.

The Favourite (Blu-Ray) - Picked this up thrifting, and while it does have it's merits, I just don't think it's my kinda thing. That's okay though, it's good to take a step out of your comfort zone every once in awhile, even if it doesn't always pay off.

Yorgos Lanthimos is one of 3 directors on my "Do Not Watch" list. I made a rule to only watch his films if they're nominated for Best Picture. And, cruelly, they always seem to be. So at this point I hate watch them to get them over with and cross them off.

MontyCircus

MontyCircus

Saw Beetlejuice in preparation for the upcoming sequel (cleverly titled Beetlejuice Beetlejuice).

My sister and I LOVED it to pieces as kids. The naughty bits mixed with all the impressive special effects really entertained.

Seeing it now, decades later, it isn't nearly as entertaining. But it's still fun enough. A couple of jokes I get now that I didn't when I was 9, like what "valium" and "civil servants" are. At least it introduced us to Harry Belafonte's music!

MontyCircus

Rambler

MontyCircus wrote:

Yorgos Lanthimos is one of 3 directors on my "Do Not Watch" list. I made a rule to only watch his films if they're nominated for Best Picture. And, cruelly, they always seem to be. So at this point I hate watch them to get them over with and cross them off.

I don't remember Dogtooth, Alps, The Lobster, or Killing of a Sacred Deer getting a best pic Oscar nod?
Who are your other two directors?

Rambler

MontyCircus

Rambler wrote:

I don't remember Dogtooth, Alps, The Lobster, or Killing of a Sacred Deer getting a best pic Oscar nod?

I first heard of Yorgos when my sister told me: "We just saw a movie called The Lobster on Netflix. You have to see it! You won't believe a movie can be this bad!"

I declined to watch it. Next thing I know, The Killing of a Sacred Deer is getting rave reviews, so we rush out to see it. Ugh. The actors were all talking like robots or something. My sister said: "Yeah, that's just how The Lobster was!" That's when I made my "Best Picture" rule for ol' Yorgos. Unfortunately for me The Favourite and Poor Things followed.

Who are your other two directors?

Wes Anderson and Robert Altman. Could probably add Fellini and Kurosawa.

You might be thinking: "Those are all the best directors who have made scores of the greatest films of all-time! Stick to mindless superhero blockbusters you cultureless swine!"

Well, I don't really have a defense. I was convinced, and was eager, to watch a bunch of each of their films based on their reputations, critical acclaim and user ratings. And almost every time ended up feeling baffled or even swindled. They're just not for me.

But I continue to seek out movies from literally every genre (except children's films), from blockbusters to indies, always on the hunt for a good time. Even if it doesn't seem like my kind of film, at all, I give it a shot as long as both critics and audiences seem to love it.

MontyCircus

CaleBoi25

The Patriot with Mel Gibson.
Pretty good film, as a very sensitive person, there were a few scenes where I cold not look, but overall a good plot. If you are a brit do not watch /hj

SplatComp

Don't tell the me moon is shining;
show me the glint of light on broken glass.
-Anton Chekhov

Sorry, I can't stop changing my PFP!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3225-4369-7994 | My Nintendo: CaleBoi25

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic