Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 6,301 to 6,320 of 6,579

OldManHermit

Watched The Adventures Baron Munchausen last night with my sis, a mutual friend of ours got her a blu-ray copy for Christmas. It is one of our all time favourite childhood films, even though the depiction of the grim reaper scared the hell out of me, haha. Anyway, it was amazing to watch such a high quality version, having only ever seen it on vhs in the past. I was picking up all kinds of little details I never noticed before. Gilliam is truly the master of creating textured, lived in worlds.

OldManHermit

Sunsy

Watched Fatso on Blu-Ray last night. This movie was a Christmas gift to my mother, whose been looking for a DVD copy of this movie for a very long time, awesomely I found it as a Blu-Ray. We watched it together. Old Dom DeLuise movie from 1980, enjoyed it more than I anticipated. Growing up in an Italian family, I can see why mom loves this movie, and even I got some of it.

Also, had a really good featurette with Stuart Cornfield (movie's producer) and Mel Brooks talking about the film. It's not a Mel Brooks movie, but his wife Anne Bancroft wrote and directed it.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

XandertheWise

rewatching all of Smallville all over again for old times sake.

Just started with Season 1 for DVD.

also the start of many many car wrecks and the destruction of the Kent barn in the show

XandertheWise

Fizza

Watched Steamboat Willie for the very first time in celebration of it finally landing in the public domain and I've got to say: for Disney's first proper animated short, it's still very enjoyable nearly a century after it's creation. The trademark charm that Disney was known for back during the days of it's Mickey shorts is present and accounted for and the animation on display here still looks absolutely ace today, both in terms of it's creativity and technical prowess. Overall, it's a lovely start to what'd eventually become the House of Mouse and one I'd highly recommend you give a watch now that it's freely available to watch (preferably before it inevitably suffers the same fate of Winnie the Pooh and gets turned into generic horror slop).

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

jump

@Fizza just being pedantic but Mickey wasn’t the first Disney cartoon. There was Oswald Rabbit and Alice & Julius before Mickey.

Walt lost the rights to them to Universal so he created Mickey to replace them and was backed as the mascot, they have rewritten history/leave at the part there was stuff before Mickey. Their fierce defence of copyright claims is often argued it was because Walt lost his original creations which is why they do it, there might be an element of truth to that but it’s mostly to keep hold of it forever and ever.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Zuljaras

Watched Across the Spider-verse and it was a good movie. I read that people praise it like a 10/10 but for me it is 8/10. Probably because I do not like or sympathize with Miles

Princess_Lilly

I watched Mario Movie and I finally settled down enough to write about it.

If you asked me just after the credits, I'd say it's one of the best movies of all time.

If you asked me now, I'd say it's still a very good movie, I enjoyed it immensly. Naturally there was so much more potential, but how would the screnwriters fit the entire franchise in 90 minutes? I think what was done was as consistent as it could get. We got everything and everybody that needed to be in the movie, without introducing too many characters at once. The backstory of Mario and Luigi was very nice too, but Idk how it ties with the Yoshi's island lore. I honestly don't have a clue how they ended up in Brooklyn, but I'm gonna have to do some research. Nice to see the throwback of the old Jumpman (Mario and Luigi's real father, played by Charles Martinet, I recognized his voice in an instant!).

Princess_Lilly

RR529

Watched Wonka this afternoon.

Not typically the type of thing I'd go to the theatre to see, but my father of all people wanted to see it so we went together. It was actually a pretty decent watch & I think the first musical I've seen on the big screen (unless you want to count the animated Disney films of the 90's).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

jump

Fizza wrote:

Overall, it's a lovely start to what'd eventually become the House of Mouse and one I'd highly recommend you give a watch now that it's freely available to watch (preferably before it inevitably suffers the same fate of Winnie the Pooh and gets turned into generic horror slop).

That was quick!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Fizza

@jump There's even more over sites like Twitter ranging from games to movies to books detailing every horror cliche you could imagine; life is pain 🫠

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

XandertheWise

I got alot of catching up to with watching movies on those streaming apps Disneyplus, Tubi and Netflix. Mostly Disneyplus/Hulu anyway

My Disneyplus watchlist consists of them marvel movies, Luca, Cheetah, The Rescuers and old 1980s and 1990s Marvel cartoons and Seasons 3 and 4 of Star Wars Rebels

XandertheWise

GalaxicGlobe

One of my favorite movies is the Iron giant!!
If you haven't watched this masterpiece I 100% recommend it, I have watched this movie so much and its one of the only movies that has made me cry multiple times lol.
It is a shame because its rather unknown due to multiple reasons but it is an awesome movie!

Space and Games are similar. Space is endless and new stuff is out there waiting to be discovered. Games are always being made but the creativity is different from one game to another and so many more ideas still haven't been imagined or created yet. (That came out better than expected lol)

Switch Friend Code: SW-1116-1320-6156

GalaxicGlobe

@jump Universal is way better than Disney IMO (not just because they have ties with Nintendo)
I like that there movies are less woke unlike disney over here losing millions with every movie. (I do enjoy seeing there fall though)

Space and Games are similar. Space is endless and new stuff is out there waiting to be discovered. Games are always being made but the creativity is different from one game to another and so many more ideas still haven't been imagined or created yet. (That came out better than expected lol)

jump

@GalaxicGlobe meh, I really don’t care about cheering on one studio over another or being concerned with how woke something is, that sounds boring.

I’m just interested in the films themselves. Like Suitable Flesh a contemporary take of a classic Lovecraft story where the stunning Heather Graham plays B̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ f̶r̶o̶m̶ F̶u̶t̶u̶r̶a̶m̶a̶ a horny booze drinking cigar chomping wise cracking demon, cool and I'm not concerned with how lefty or righty it is. Godzilla Minus One where Toho have mike dropped a brilliant movie which has human drama as good as the kaiju action to embarrass the American remakes is awesome so why would I worry about how woke it is or is not? The Old Oak where a master film maker makes a film about the importance of pubs in the community sounds great and I didn't bother to look up what studio it's from. The Artificial Girl had some nerd build a young looking AI girl to trap pedos on the internet with the type of thought provoking philosophical debate which is when sci-fi is at it's best, why would I care about the studio more?

Nicolai wrote:

GalaxicGlobe

@jump I get you I just dislike Disney as a whole, honestly they dont really make stuff im interested in and what they do make is kind of trashy.

CaleBoi25

Disney is 100 years old and sadly they might not make it to 200 at this point....

SplatComp

Don't tell the me moon is shining;
show me the glint of light on broken glass.
-Anton Chekhov

Sorry, I can't stop changing my PFP!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3225-4369-7994 | My Nintendo: CaleBoi25

Rambler

CaleBoi25 wrote:

Disney is 100 years old and sadly they might not make it to 200 at this point....

Why, what would be the reason?

Rambler

jump

@Rambler I read on Reddit that Disney are woke so they only eat tofu and salads now but it’s impossible to live on tofu and salads. You need to have an healthy diet of red meat, Pepsi and sugar coated cereal to be able to live so Disney will die of starvation soon!

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
I'm sure their next film is about some anthropomorphic tofu pieces that weave yogurt into emotional support blankets.

Rambler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic