Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 6,281 to 6,300 of 6,568

XandertheWise

rewatching the old classic Friday the 13th movies from the Deluxe Edition DVD collection set that i got from Walmart a week ago.

for the past two days so far Ive rewatched Friday the 13th 1, 2, and 3.

going to watch the Tommy Jarvis Trilogy for this week. then concentrate on wrapping up a christmas present for a White Elephant gift exhange my family is doing this coming weekend

XandertheWise

Sunsy

Five times! I've seen Trolls Band Together five times. Decided to treat my friend to see the movie again. Even for a fifth time, I still love it. Also, it's fun noticing little details I didn't catch the first time around.

Last night, watched Illumination's The Grinch because it's Christmastime and why not.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Sunsy

Apologies for double post, but... Kung Fu Panda 4 finally has its trailer!

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Anti-Matter

@Sunsy
Um...
I don't like the vibe that I felt from kungfu panda 4 trailer.
Something told me I should not watch that movie.
It's like a warning sign for me.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@Sunsy
About Trolls movie, I tried to watch the short clips of first movie scenes from YouTube and the story was pretty dark.
The Bergens situation and the grumpy Branch due to his guilty feelings for losing his grandma because of his golden voice.

The second movie, it was like music parade from different genre but I suddenly stopped thinking about second movie after I found one song that suddenly turned me off because I really hate that one song.
It was like a slap on my face.
My face suddenly changed from happy face to angry face after I heard one song that I really hate.

I think the third movie is the best choice for me judging from the storyline and the music choices. It's so Perfect, Perfect, Perfect !

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Sunsy

@Anti-Matter That's fine and up to you. Just sharing the news on the new Kung Fu Panda movie.

Yeah, it was mostly because Branch's grandma got eaten by a bergen while he was singing. It actually brings context to why Clay said "Grandma was eaten?" in the third movie. The escape scene was touched upon in the first movie when they escaped the bergens, and brings context to why they're friendly with the trolls now.

That's fine, I take it rock music isn't your taste? Queen Barb did a cover of the song Crazy Train, with lyrics changed to acknowledge her wanting to take over the world with rock. The second movie introduces tribes based on rock, techno, classical, funk, and country.

Glad to see you love the third movie. The second movie did other genres, that third movie was very boy band heavy because of BroZone.

Sunsy

Christmas movie tonight, mom picked out one to watch on Disney+ called Dashing Through The Snow. Nice movie about a man named Eddie who hates Christmas, until he runs into a man calling himself Nick, which brings Eddie, his daughter, and Nick on an adventure to stop a group of people looking for Nick and to save Christmas. Mom and I thought it was pretty good.

OldManHermit

Watched Black Christmas (1974) last night. It's often cited as the original slasher film, predating Halloween by four years. Anyway it's great, holds up surprisingly well. My favourite character is the alcoholic sorority house mother.

OldManHermit

Fizza

Forgot to mention it here but I went to see Wonka on Monday with a couple friends and honestly really enjoyed it! I hadn't really seen much from it in the buildup to release and, with the last Charlie and the Chocolate Factory theatrical spin not really doing it for me in the slightest, I went in with pretty low expectations overall. But I'll be damned: it was actually really fun! I had somehow never learned that it was a musical so seeing all the songs strewn throughout the film was a great surprise, the case was pretty well-acted for the most part, with special mention towards Timothee Chalamét as Willy Wonka himself and the Horrible Histories acting group as numerous characters (always a delight to see them performing in any production) and the story was simple yet very touching all the same. I'd say my one major gripe was that the VFX was....rough to put it mildly (seeing Hugh Grant's face on an Oompa-Loompa scared me more than anything in Halloween) which I do see as an annoying large misfire given how much time is spent using special effects, but other than that? Yeah this was a very pleasant surprise of a film and one I'd definitely recommend you go see if it interests you. 8/10

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Castlevania Bloodlines (Mega Drive)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

XandertheWise

watched all of the old Friday the 13th movies DVD Deluxe Editions this month. Still enjoy the movies.

Then next week i need to watch the Unrated DVD of Jason Goes to Hell and rewatch Freddy vs Jason and I still have the good 2 disc special edition.

then on Tubi there's some stuff i need to watch before Tubi gets rid of them

XandertheWise

jump

@OldManHermit Yeah Black Christmas is a great flick.

I thinks that’s more of an American thing of calling it the first slasher though. Italians have a genre “giallo” which are really slasher films years before Halloween, Black Christmas etc plus the Brits were making stuff like Psycho and Peeping Tom before that. A lot of those 60s horror films hold up like Blood & Black Lace as swinging 60s European cinema had more visual flair which Hollywood/US took awhile to catch up to plus American mainstream films tend to be more boringly conservative compared to world cinema.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

OldManHermit

@jump Yeah, I suppose when I say slasher I mean the North American style of slasher flick that was popularized throughout the 80s. Usually a group of young people in a singular setting getting picked off one by one by a killer. I'm not familiar with 60s Giallo, but I've seen a bunch of 80s ones, Tenebrae and Opera being a couple of my favourites.

OldManHermit

Rambler

Peeping Tom is one of those films that will never be blunted by the passage of time. It's seedy and repellent and absolutely brilliant.
Not much of an Xmas film though.

Rambler

card-crunch78

Here's all the movies I saw at my theater this year (alphabetical order):

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Barbie (x2)
Castle in the Sky
Coraline
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Elemental (x2)
Five Nights at Freddy’s
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Haunted Mansion
Hocus Pocus
Howl’s Moving Castle
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
Kiki’s Delivery Service
Knock at the Cabin
M3GAN
Missing
My Neighbor Totoro
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Oppenheimer
Over the Hedge
Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie
Ponyo
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (x2)
RiffTrax Live: RAD
Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
Spirited Away
Spirited Away: Live on Stage
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (x2)
The Bad Guys
The Boy and the Heron
The Little Mermaid (2023) (x2)
The Lorax
The Marvels
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Super Mario Bros. Movie (x4)
The Wind Rises
Trolls: Band Together
Wish (x2)
Wonka

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

RR529

@IceDomino, great idea!

A Man Called Otto
Godzilla: Minus One
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3
Oppenheimer
The Creator
The Super Mario Bros. Movie (3D)

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Sunsy

@IceDomino That's a lot of movies. Awesome job!

For me, I saw at my theater...

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (3D)
John Wick Chapter 4
Puss In Boots: The Last Wish
Ruby Gillman Teenage Kraken
Strays
Super Mario Bros. Movie
Trolls Band Together (FIVE TIMES!!!)

I have tickets to see Migration on Tuesday. My friend saw John Wick for his birthday, and he wanted to see Strays and wanted me to tag along. Trolls Band Together holds a really special place. Not only because it's my favorite series, but it's also the very first time I went to a movie by myself, and the first time I went to an early access showing. By far, my favorite movie this year.

Edited on by Sunsy

card-crunch78

@Sunsy Yeah, I had a goal back in 2020 to see one movie at my theater each week for a whole year, which would be 52 movies. Unfortunately, I only managed to get to 10 before the pandemic hit and forced our theater to close down for a year.

After a few years of on-off again because of variants and not enough vaccinated people, I finally managed to start going last January, and I even had some weeks where either I saw a movie 3 times in one week, or two movies in one day (like with "Elemental" and "The Little Mermaid", and "Super Mario Bros. Movie" and "TMNT Mutant Mayhem" for World Cinema Day).

So in conclusion, I got to see 53 movies (with "Wonka" being the newest one), and I'll go back to my usual schedule, I'll definitely be attending Ghibli Fest 2024 once details are posted on GKIDS. In the meantime, my next movies in January include "Migration" and "Soul". (Yes, the Pixar film, they're finally putting the three skipped movies (Soul, Turning Red and Luca) in theaters during the next three months, which means my personal "Pixar Streak", where I've see every Pixar movie in theaters since "Toy Story" will be fixed)

Edited on by card-crunch78

🌸🌸🌸🌸🌸

Dogorilla

Films I've seen in the cinema this year:

Marcel the Shell With Shoes On
The Super Mario Bros Movie
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse
Barbie
Elemental
Miss Hokusai (not a new film but it was showing as part of an anime festival)

Also hoping to see The Boy and the Heron whenever it comes out over here.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Rambler

Dogorilla wrote:

Also hoping to see The Boy and the Heron whenever it comes out over here.

Boxing Day, I believe

Rambler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic