Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,681 to 1,700 of 6,550

WoomyNNYes

I tried and liked Alita: Battle Angel. I recommend it. It really scratched my itch for a new science fiction movie. Edit:.. it's definitely a good looking movie, great effects, too.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

jump

WoomyNNYes wrote:

I tried and liked Alita: Battle Angel. I recommend it. James Cameron directed it, which .... it's definitely a good looking movie, great effects.

James Cameron didn't direct it, he produced it. Cameron was a fan of the original manga and wanted to direct it for years (his tv show Dark Angel was heavily influenced by it) but filming 3 Avatar films at the same time got in the way of it so he asked Robert Rodriguez (the guy reasonable for Desperado, From Dusk Till Dawn, Sin City etc) to directed it.

*edit
I had Déjà Vu when I wrote that and it's because I mentioned to someone else in the thread it wasn't directed by Cameron a year ago. It's funny so many people are being tricked into thinking Cameron directed it.

jump wrote:

@RR529 It was actually directed by Robert Rodriguez (who made From Dusk Till Dawn, Sin City etc) and James Cameron was the producer.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Vinny

I recently watched Watchmen: Director's Cut. It's great, it's very long (over 3h) but it doesn't feel boring.
The plot is interesting, as it's set in an alternate universe during the cold war where the heroes are investigating the death of one of a fellow hero and uncover a huge conspiracy.
Great characters like Rorschach, an anti hero which is basically the opposite of Batman and Dr. Manhattan, a godly figure created after an laboratory incident.

Morbid fact: The bodybuilder who played Manhattan (Physically, a different actor voiced him. BTW, there is a contrast between him being this muscular, blue being with godly powers and his voice, which is very soft and not what you'd expect.) died in 2015 trying to film an ad by standing on a train track and later trying to outrun a train in motion.

What Snyder films you guys like?
I really like 300.
Funny story: I remember back when it came out, my history teacher bashed this movie, saying it wasn't accurate at all. Well, it's based off a Frank Miller comic, lol! Of course it wasn't accurate to real life events.
A few years later she showed us Pearl Harbor. So much for accuracy, haha.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

RR529

@Vinny, I caught Watchmen on TV not too long ago and found it very good (it was on IFC, so it didn't have any broadcast censorship).

In general I really find myself liking the standalone (or small series) comic book/graphic novel films more than the MCU stuff (yeah, they're all consistently fun and props must be given for what it managed to build over 10 years, but there's nothing I'd want to own individually). Granted, standalone films/series tend to be more hit & miss in terms of quality, but when they nail it they're very good or unique (Watchmen, the old Spider-Man films, Into the Spider-Verse, & the Sin City films & 300 if you want to count the non-superhero stuff. Heck, I even enjoyed the 00's Punisher movie).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WoomyNNYes

@jump Ha. Yeah, I said "directed" out of ignorance of what his role in the movie was. You're right, he was a producer. I was surprised to see IMDB cite him as co-writer of the screenplay too. Interesting.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Vinny

@RR529 I feel the same, those expanded universes are cool for seeing how everything interacts together but some of the individual movies can be very forgettable. (other than being a nice build up for the "bigger" crossover movies.)

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

jump

Vinny wrote:

I recently watched Watchmen: Director's Cut. It's great, it's very long (over 3h) but it doesn't feel boring.
The plot is interesting, as it's set in an alternate universe during the cold war where the heroes are investigating the death of one of a fellow hero and uncover a huge conspiracy.
Great characters like Rorschach, an anti hero which is basically the opposite of Batman and Dr. Manhattan, a godly figure created after an laboratory incident.

I enjoyed Watchmen, I actually rewatched it not too long as my missus loved the TV series but hadn't seen the movie, not that they are truly connected anyway.

I thought it could have been better though on the second viewing. For as much as they rigidly follow the comics in a sense of being true to the source material, ripping dialogue and shots from the source material to the point it feels wooden and doesn't breathe on film, they then completely change the ending anyway. It's like watching a motion comics where it comes of too corny and simple at times.

Also that sex scene on the ship is probably one of the worst in movie history, made even worse by it was suppose to be really passionate after highlighting their awkwardness previously.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

SigourneyBeaver

Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile. Great first movie, dreadful sequel.

Sigourney Beaver.

Vinny

I've watched Constantine (2005), starring Keanu Reeves.
Based off a DC comic book, Keanu plays John Constantine, occult detective as he comes accross a lot of satanic demons and such. This is an extreme oversimplification, of course.
It's good, I like the recent animated adaptation more though.

Edited on by Vinny

Magician

Ready or Not

Horror / satire, just a really good time from start to finish.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

RR529

InuYasha the Movie: Affections Across Time (Amazon Prime Video) - Currently rewatching the series in anticipation of the sequel, and that includes the movies in respective order. In this entry, Menomaru, a moth demon from China, sets out to get revenge against InuYasha, who's father killed his own years ago during the Mongol invasion of Japan.

Of course, not much of that will make much sense to you if you haven't seen the series, so it's definitely a watch for those already somewhat familiar with the lore, but it's a fun time if you are. Of course, being a film the animation quality is a few notches higher than it is in the TV anime, all the main characters get a chance to do their thing, and there's some decent romantic moments between the leads, so it's all good.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

MsJubilee

I just recently finished Apocalypto. Before I talk about this movie, Some personal backstory with this movie, I watched it when I was 14(maybe younger I don't remember) on channel 46. And, I was shocked at how good it was(was thinking about it for like the whole week), hell half the students in my classes(I was in Middle school) were talking about the film( the Latino community to be precise). And after a couple of years, I tried to find this movie again. I couldn't. It was taken off digital shelves, the only way to watch was by DVD. Maybe it was the cause of the director's racists outbursts, who knows? All I know that I'm delighted for this movie on coming back to digital formats after being gone for so many years.

Apocalypto. It's simply brilliant, and it has held up like fine wine. Everything was expertly crafted, to the score, acting and shots. Apocalypto is one of those movies that deserved to be watched by everyone, and I will stand by that till the end of time. Mel Gibson is one talented individual, and this movie shows off his talent. I Might have to watch his other films now.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Vinny

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Spielberg movie about UFOs and ayyliens. The special effects are pure 70s, but it does fit well i'd say. It's part of the movie's charm.

Edited on by Vinny

Wargoose

Finally got around to watching Solo a Star Wars Story, and it was surprisingly good. A lot of it seemed to be setting up for a sequel, which doesn't look like it's going to happen. I preferred it to episodes VI - IX

Wargoose

klingki

@Wargoose I totally agree. I really regret not seeing it in theaters now. I was planning to, but with the lack of hype it got, I figured it wasn't worth it. When I finally got around to watching it, I was surprised at how good it actually was compared to the lack of buzz around it.

Compared to the recent mainline movies, I think Solo, and especially Rogue One, were much better.

klingki

Magician

Anyone else feel that the John Wick franchise has jumped the shark? I thoroughly enjoyed the first two movies. They did a great job of laying down the foundation of the world of the High Table. But after the first act of the third movie I feel as though the story went off the rails.

John Wick failed to kill Winston and at the same time Winston is back in the good graces of the High Table. So if a John Wick 4 were to happen it would be John against Winston and the High Table? That seems like an insurmountable task.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BruceCM

Well, it was about the only way to up the stakes any more than they already were, at that stage, @Magician .... I'm looking forward to the next one

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

RR529

InuYasha Movie 2: Castle Beyond the Looking Glass (Amazon Prime Video) - As I continue my way through the series I watched the second movie last weekend. In this entry the series' main villain Naraku appears to be defeated, but after the cast splits up to seek their own individual quests a new villain appears and draws them together once again.

This is probably my favorite of the films, if only because it features the first of only two kisses the leads share throughout the entire series (I know I'm a sucker, lol). Otherwise it's a fine film that captures the spirit of the show well, and I like the fact that the villain is based on an actual Japanese myth (the tale of Princess Kaguya), which is a nice touch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

TheFrenchiestFry

I'm really surprised to see that Michael Keaton is actually reprising Batman for the Flash movie. I thought he would've been fatigued of being typecast as winged creatures after both Birdman and The Vulture.

Also damn Ben Affleck got screwed hard. I wasn't personally a fan of his Batman but that was more so because of how he was written rather than his actual performance. I do wish he did get at least a shot at a standalone film

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic