Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 2,361 to 2,375 of 2,375

BruceCM

Oh, I've played that, @NintendoByNature ... Mind you, I've only played BotW & Skyward Sword, so I couldn't compare it to other Zelda's & from from that perspective it's pretty good

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

NintendoByNature

@BruceCM yea it was ok. Nothing spectacular but worth 10 bucks if someone would want to try it out.

NintendoByNature

StarPoint

I just beat Gato Roboto for the first time. I think it's a pretty solid yet simple metroidvania. It doesn't do anything super unique, but it was still a good time all-around. I liked the art style even though it was only two colors. I thought the sprites were very expressive and easy to read. The only thing that I'm not a huge fan of is how linear it is. It's more of a Metroid Fusion than a Super Metroid-like. Since it's such a short game, it never really opens up to the player until the very end when you have all of the upgrades.

Overall, this is a pretty solid metroidvania. Certainly not one of the best ones I've played, but it set out to be a simple, cute, and easy metroidvania, and I think it accomplished that task very well. I would definitely recommend this one to newcomers to the genre thanks to how simple and short it is. It gives you a good taste of what the genre is like without completely overwhelming you.

7/10 Good.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

FTL (PC)
Rogue Legacy 2 (PC)

RubyCarbuncle

Kirby and the Forgotten Land. Beautiful game in every way but is slightly let down by annoying missions and questionable design choices in certain parts. I look forward to playing it again and would definitely recommend it despite my nitpicking to anyone who is into the Kirby series. I'll probably go back to Return to Dreamland now as that is still my favourite game in the entire series.

Edited on by RubyCarbuncle

RubyCarbuncle

Switch Friend Code: SW-4433-3410-1346 | 3DS Friend Code: 4270-7103-3376 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkNebula | Twitter:

BinaryMessiah

Assassin's Creed II on Switch. I didn't realize how REFRESHING it was to play a scaled back Assassin's Creed game. I bought it for Xbox 360 at launch and was of course blown away by it. However, you can tell this is the seed that started the whole "open-world Ubisoft" trend that's lasted for over a decade. It was nice just going from mission to mission and doing the Assassin Tombs to unlock Altair's armor and having everything else completely optional albeit with zero reward except to just be 100% complete.

BinaryMessiah

Nintendo Network ID: ivory_soul | Twitter:

StarPoint

I just beat Axiom Verge for the first time. It's an extraordinary Metroidvania and definitely up there with some of the best in the genre. The world design is fantastic and intuitive. You do backtrack a lot, but areas don't take a particularly long amount of time to get through. The upgrades and items you find are also really great. They are super creative and unexpected; the only item that I ever expected to find was health, everything besides that was completely different. The glitch mechanic is unbelievably cool, and I have no idea why it's so fun to use, it just is. The story was also very interesting if a little hard to follow. The music and graphics are great as well; there are some super catchy tunes, and every area and enemy is visually distinct.

The entire vibe I get from the game is just "cool". It's one of the coolest games I've played in a long time. It has a lot of personality and some really memorable moments.

I do have a couple of complaints, though. First off, the combat and weapon selection isn't that great. The majority of weapons feel pretty situational, and I tended to just use the main weapon for 95% of my playthrough. Some enemies are super annoying to fight as well; several attacks felt nearly unavoidable, even when you corrupted them. Second, some of the sound effects are really bad. Just straight up bad. They can range from being so loud that it feels like your eardrums are gonna blow off to hearing it so many times that you want to willingly remove your eardrums. There definitely could have been a bit of extra work in the sound department.

So, overall, Axiom Verge is an incredibly designed game with some fantastic areas, awesome power-ups, unique mechanics, and great music. There are some things about the game that bother me, but it's not too hard to look past them when viewing the game as a whole. It is definitely on my list of favorite metroidvanias, and I am now looking forward to playing Axiom Verge 2 when it launches on Steam this summer.

9/10 Excellent.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

FTL (PC)
Rogue Legacy 2 (PC)

cordova94

Short and not originally Nintendo but I really enjoyed The Room. It was cheap to buy (good since it's really a once through type of game) and the graphics were just lovely. The puzzles were fun but not too insane (the hints help if you get stuck)......and the score added to the whole atmosphere. I was done in a weekend but I think if you did it in one sitting, it would take maybe 2 hours or so? Definitely worth downloading for a flight or when you want a quick complete.

Pros: Inexpensive, beautiful to look at, quick play with a nice challenge level
Cons: No replay value, no sequel, may not be playable on dock (uses touchscreen)

Currently Playing: Super Mario Sunshine (3D All-Stars), Octopath Traveler
Friend Code: SW-5717-7937-5089

cordova94

Also, not sure if anyone has done this one already in this thread, and again, it's not a Switch original......but if anyone is into puzzle games, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker was fantastic! I really enjoyed the Toad levels in Super Mario 3D World so I picked this up and it was just such a pleasure to play! There were easy levels, hard levels, ones that took 20+ tries.......and then you had the ability to add layers with the little sub-goals and the Mario hide and seek (which was mostly brainless but still fun). If you have the Toad Amiibo, the levels will grant you invincibility but that does not translate to the Toad entourage that some levels use. The last maze level was wildly difficult but not as evil as the last levels in 3D World (is anything that evil?). There are even some levels that can use Labo but I found them playable without it, for the completionists like me. It is best played in handheld mode for sure as some of the levels work better/faster with touch but can be played entirely in dock mode too.

Pros: Lots of levels, sub-challenges, lots of variety in difficulty level, fun to play and look at, uses Amiibo
Cons: Some of the levels may be too difficult for younger players, some levels not ideal for dock play, the Toad Amiibo is hard to find now and pricy (in Canada at least)

cordova94

@burgerkingsauce I haven't tackled this one yet. Of the 3D All-Stars, I had only played Sunshine before so I started with this......I'm a good way through now (67 shines, 178 blue coins) and I have the same complaints for the most part.......the camera panning mechanics are half my battle and if your nails aren't cut right down, good luck not switching your nozzle midway through maneuvers. I'm on the fence about whether I should tackle 64 or Galaxy next. Any thoughts?

BruceCM

Odd, there's definitely several of The Room games on Android & Steam, @cordova94 .... I'd imagine they'll bring the rest to Switch soon, then

SW-4357-9287-0699

cordova94

@BruceCM sometimes it's nice to have a game that you don't have to invest too much time in. It's even better when it's such a pleasure to look at!

BruceCM

Yeah, I played the Android version awhile ago when it was in a sale, @cordova94 .... Got the set for Steam in the same way but not got around to the rest yet

SW-4357-9287-0699

Zuljaras

I've just finished DooM (2016) on the Switch. I was playing ONLY from the cartridge. No patches/updates or anything like that.

I had only one crash I think and the game is playable and fun just like when I played it on the PS4.

Too bad we do not have DooM Eternal physically on the Switch

It is the ONLY DooM game that is available only digitally

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/05/random-doom-fan-has-a-novel-way-to-display-a-destroyed-switch-cartridge

Kermit1

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
I enjoyed my time and can't wait for the sequel (to be on sale lol)

Currently playing: Animal Crossing New Horizons, Bug Fables, Phoenix Wright Trilogy

SW-0553-8644-3608 I'm Kermit1 and ask before you friend please

Anti-Matter

Epic Chef PS4
Finished in 3 weeks.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic