Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 2,261 to 2,280 of 3,137

Tyranexx

@BruceCM Haha, you're telling me.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

NintendoByNature

@BruceCM where did you find the feather mask in heaven dust? I have 5 other masks but don't have the one required for the puzzle.

NintendoByNature

BruceCM

Hmm, I'm not sure exactly where I got each mask, @NintendoByNature .... In the room that had 3, though, it should warn you 2 of them are fake & tell you how to know which is the real one! Since only 4 are needed & you're missing 1, you must have the fakes as well I'll have a look to see if I can find where the feather 1 is specifically

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

I-U

Beat Ring Fit Adventure last night with a total of 24h 29m 47s spent exercising. With how creative and well presented the game is, it felt to me like a grand RPG first (not quite Xenoblade grand) and a fitness game second. When it comes to Nintendo's original games on Switch, Ring Fit Adventure is a definite, current Top 5. This and ARMS are the best new IPs Nintendo has made since Xenoblade Chronicles.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

marvelis

just barely beat legends arceus, amazing game working on 100% completing now also beat doom eternal on ultra nightmare very hard but worth it.

my friend code :) 0354-8770-1231

Kintypoo121

Finally beat XenoBlade 2’s expansion, DeltaRune (what’s been released so far, at least) and just beat the main campaign of Quake. It does feel great to put a game to bed, but then out pops several more amazing new games to add further dust to the backlog

Currently playing through Inside, being around 4hrs it’s mercifully short (and great so far!)

Kintypoo121

Ninfan

Just finished metroid dread. The adventure or open world play in 2D mode was brilliant

Ninfan

Tyranexx

I finished Ori and the Will of the Wisps on Switch earlier this week. An excellent, excellent Metroidvania that's an improvement from its amazing predecessor (Ori and the Blind Forest) in many ways. Beautiful environments, challenging yet fair gameplay, great music, fun mechanics...it's hard to go wrong with this game. The only minor nitpick I have is that some of the load times can get a little long, though that's mainly when first booting the game. I never experienced any crashes some reviews complained about, though I did play in docked mode the whole time.

...Be warned, the ending might summon those onion-cutting ninjas.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Helios26

Lego Ninjago & Lego City Undercover

FAVOURITE GAME: Super Mario Odyssey
FAVOURITE OST: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

RR529

Gun Gun Pixies (Steam. Also available on Switch)

• Playing as one of two (very similar) pixie (technically alien) protagonists, you must explore the rooms of a girls' dorm in order to learn more about Earth culture. Along the way you'll (clumsily) platform your way around collecting "Picoins" (which can be spent at the shop in the main menu on upgrades & new clothes, mainly lingerie), blasting squid-like baddies, and collect information (by examining sparkly areas in the room & by using "happy bullets" to shoot the girls in certain areas...), all while you make sure you stay out of the girls' line of vision (this can be trivialized with a tap of the d-pad, which causes you to strike a "pixie pose", becoming invisible to them even if they're looking right at you, the presumption being they see you as an anime figure).
  • Each of the game's 8 chapters is broken up into three "Orders", the first two of which consist of the exploratory gameplay mentioned above. While sometimes the collecting of info is the mission clear requirement, most times you'll have to do something specific, like find a specific item, shoot a specific spot (like a window to open it), or kill all the squids. As you're graded on how many Picoins & info you gather, try to get everything before clearing the mission objective (while you're graded on time to clear as well, there's no defined time limit). Partway through you'll obtain a "Hookshot" that makes scaling the rooms easier, but from my experience there's no place you can't reach beforehand, with a well timed jump from the right spot.
  • The third "Order" of each chapter is always a boss fight referred to as "Maiden Suppression". One of the girls will be overwhelmed by emotion & get lost in some sort of exercise (such as Yoga, Treadmill, or even Pole Dancing...), and you'll have to avoid the various "Auras" (different bullet types) she produces during the activity & eventually calm her down by shooting her in various "areas" causing her to go into ecstasy. There is no stealth requirement during these sections, and sometimes things are made extra hectic by the presence of the squid enemies.
  • Each chapter is capped off by a bonus "Bath Time" segment, in which the "boss" of the chapter will be taking a bath and you have the chance to make some major Picoins by again shooting her in certain areas & even getting the chance to jump on & physically scrub her (which nets ridiculous Picoins). There is no stealth requirement here, and you can replay them in free play allowing you to cheese enough money to buy whatever you want in the shop (especially considering the further you get, the longer you can make the segment last).
  • Essentially half the game is a visual novel (with it's fair share of translation errors), which you'll be exposed to for lengthy periods in between chapters & orders. While there is an endgame narrative revolving around a "Phantom Thief" stealing buildings, it's mostly fluff surrounding the girls & at no point is it something you'll take particularly seriously. Apparently there are different possible endings, but whether or not it's influenced by the choices you make (you'll get like one multiple choice question each chapter), by how much info you gather during the exploration segments, or by a mix of both I don't know.
  • Once you complete the game you unlock a suite of options, such as a 3D character viewer, gallery of all the 2D art & videos, costumes to purchase for the dorm girls, and even the ability to disengage stealth & damage altogether.
  • Also as a side note, there's one early chapter that's just a Hyperdimension Neptunia crossover.

Conclusion: It's very much a clunky "B grade" Japanese game with extremely narrow niche appeal, but that said I don't think it's as bad as the "3" NL gave it, as it's not really broken in any sense. If you like quirky Japanese games & don't mind the (very) saucy material, it might be worth a look.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

marvelis

finished deaths door and mortal kombat story mode aswell as gato roboto all were really good games mortal kombat is super fun but looks pretty blegh

my friend code :) 0354-8770-1231

Solaine

I finished Danganronpa Decadence and this really was a fun ride from start to finish with some ups and lows!
On the technical side though, there are some severe issues that happened to me mostly during my V3 playthrough. The game, obviously, looked progressively better but each time i would enter a new area and the loading animation came on, the game dropped its framerate to the bottom with updates so far not fixing anything for me. Furthermore, on handheld, V3 crashed 6 times during these loading screens and that took a lot away from my experience.

The Story was full of twists and turns through each Game and i absolutely loved it for the most part.
Gameplay is mostly ranging from alright to amazing, there were only a few mechanics that seemed redundant or annoying. For an adventure game like this, it really was a lot of gameplay actually.
Music and Visuals have also been really good!
Now i only need someone to rant about that V3 ending about...

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

BruceCM

Heh, yeah, that's quite an ending, @Solaine .... Glad you enjoyed them, though!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

StarPoint

I just beat Tropical Freeze on the Switch, and man, what a fantastic game. It's surprisingly difficult without feeling unfair or punishing. The level designs are all top-notch, both artistically and mechanically. I love all the secret paths you can take to unlock hidden levels. This game is so good that even the underwater levels are good, which is really saying something. The animations and graphics are fantastic and I think they're going to age incredibly well due to the art style they decided to use. The music is also extremely catchy, however, I don't think it's quite as strong as DKCR. That might just be nostalgia bias on my part, though.

I only have a couple of small complaints with this game:

Cranky Kong feels incredibly useless compared to Dixie or Diddy Kong unless you need a specific puzzle piece. I wish he could have gotten a little extra boost to make him a little more useful.

I think the overworld traversal in this game is too slow. It's strange, since the overworld traveling in DKCR is very fast, with the little DK icon jumping from level to level. In DKCTF, it physically shows Donkey Kong running and jumping from stage to stage. This approach is more detailed but ends up being a lot slower as a result. It's not a huge deal but it is a little odd that this was changed.

Other than these few things, though, DKCTF is a fantastic platformer and is definitely in my top 5, maybe even top 3 of best platformers. Retro Studios unsurprisingly came out with another banger here, and I'm excited to see where Donkey Kong goes next. 9/10

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Magician

Dragon Star Varnir - Another middle-of-the-road jrpg from Compile Heart. I'm a fan the games they churn out as they usually range from 6/10 to 9/10 experiences. Much like Platinum Games and the action games they develop, it's kind of difficult to tell what you'll get. Unfortunately, DSV lands on the lower end of the spectrum. Not a bad rpg per se, but with so many better rpgs available on the Switch it's tough to recommend.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Solaine

So this was quick, and i totally disregarded Shigesato Itois advice in taking your time with the game, but i finished Earthbound Beginnings as quick as i could since it was just such a slog to play through.
This was my first Mother game and it really didn't age well...i people ever really enjoyed having to grind in plain environments or making about 3 steps before having to do another random battle. Playing with a Guide made the game somewhat bearable but nothing more.
You can definitely see a bit of the promised Quirkiness in between, the music also has some really great tracks for the time, i can only recommend listening to the vocal albums to really experience greatness.
And while i didn't enjoy 90 percent of the game, the ending, i really really loved for some reason although i can't quite put the finger on it, the simple yet lovely message is strong here.

So i totally cannot recommend this, but somehow that ending made it somewhat worthwhile, maybe because i recently played another game that was pretty much the other way around...

Anyways, started Earthbound now and if nothing else, i can really see why this game is liked so much. Playing that plain first game really makes one appreciate all the stuff they added

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

kkslider5552000

Yeah, I tried playing Earthbound Beginnings when it came out on Wii U and like 3 hours in I was done with it. NES era RPGs have not aged well.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

blindsquirrel

Just beat majoras mask today. On to wind waker or skyward sword

Edited on by blindsquirrel

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Xyphon22

I beat Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons tonight, and I have a random question. Does anyone know anything about the people who made it? I thought it was cool because I noticed at the end of the credits, in the Special Thanks section, they thanked Pastor Erwin Raphael McManus, who is my favorite pastor/author/speaker guy. But he is the pastor at a church in Los Angeles, and the people who made the game are based in Stockholm, and I couldn't find anything online to connect them, so I was just wondering. Pretty good little game, too. Although honestly, I didn't find it that emotional/sad considering what I'd heard about it.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic