Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 2,021 to 2,040 of 3,148

pilot

Just beat Super Mario 64. Now I've beaten all 3 games on 3d allstars. I though super mario 64 was a great game, and its easy to see how revolutionary it was back at the time when it was originally released. It is quite dated now, and I found some controls to be quite frustrating, and also I thought the story along with some of the worlds were quite bland. But I know that if there was better technology back then I'm sure the the story would have been been better. Overall, I enjoyed it. A classic Mario adventure that is frustratingly old, but still enjoyable

Boutta go on a pokemon mania

Xyphon22

So I've beaten two games recently that I'm not sure about.

A couple of days ago I beat What Remains of Edith Finch? I understand the kind of "game" it is supposed to be, and I knew that going in, I'm just not sure what the point of this game was. I thought these "walking simulators/games as art" games were generally created to have some great underlying message. Like, I didn't really care for Gone Home, but I understand that people who relate to it might get a lot out of it. But who relates to a girl whose family is cursed to die young (only not all of them do)? It just didn't seem to have any purpose. I will say, though, that I don't think I've ever been as anxious/scared playing a video game as when I was swinging on that swing as the little boy. My heart was in my chest the whole time and I stopped swinging a couple of times, not wanting to go on, afraid of what was about to happen.

Then last night I beat Catherine: Full Body. I knew I wouldn't care for the story going in, but I had heard such good things about this game for years that I wanted to try it. There was just so much that didn't make sense, and my actions/answers didn't seem to make any difference at all until the ending I guess. I was as good as possible (not because I thought that's what the game wanted but because that's what I truly believed), was all the way to max blue, and I'm supposed to believe that this random girl just keeps showing up in my house even though I don't remember inviting her or doing anything with her last night? But mostly, I think it's amazing that Rin wasn't in the original game, because I can't imagine it without her. She was such an integral part, they did an amazing job adding her in. Although what happens to her in my ending was just so sudden and anticlimactic, but based on what I read about her in the other endings, I still think I prefer what I got to what they made her out to be when she gets more fleshed out.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Oswinner

Got my Switch back in October. Have so far completed;

Super Mario 64 (9/10)
Beat Bowser and rescued Peach. Not got all 120 stars yet. I’m not a completionist so doubt I will, however 70 stars feels too short, so will get to 100 stars and stop. Played it back in ‘97. Still a great game but it has dated a little with dodgy camera and I can’t remember the controls being a little awkward. Maybe the controls are better on the 64 as it was designed for it. Was a 10/10 back in the day, I’m still giving a generous 9 here due to my nostalgia love for it.

Super Mario Sunshine (9/10)
Likewise, with 64, I’ve beaten Bowser and will probably finish at 100 stars. Only got about 67 at the minute. Aged better than 64 and controls better although I miss the analog button for squirting the water. A generous 9 here also. Ricco Harbour is my favourite level.

Super Mario Galaxy (9/10)
Really polished game. The thing that holds it back for me is that I prefer sandbox 3D Mario. I just want to explore worlds, not be given a linear, direct way to get a star. Beat Bowser and now got 61 stars. Felt way too short so will keep playing and get up to 100 stars just like the other two 3D all-star games.

Super Mario Bros (10/10)
Played the all-stars version. Game is good beating it the normal way, where when you get game over, you restart at the start of the world you are on. However, it becomes truly
amazing once you play it arcade-style of completely restarting the game once you get a game over. Try beating the game without using warp pipes between levels and without a game over, it’s so so good. A classic masterpiece.

Donkey Kong Country (10/10)
The atmosphere of this game is fantastic. Found it a little tough in places on my first playthrough. However, I gave a quick second playthrough where I played until game over and I was surprised how much easier it felt. Great difficulty curve.

Yooka-Laylee (8/10)
Really underrated game this. A little more polish and this could have been even better. The camera was a little bad in places but not as bad as people make out (sure beats Mario 64 camera but so it should there was 20 years gap) and the exploration was great. My last few stars I got before unlocking end of game boss fight was actually in the first world when I went back with my new abilities and felt like an overpowered god. 100 pagies needed (out of 140) felt just right, unlike Mario Galaxy’s 60/120. Really enjoyed the game if slightly annoying in places. We need more games like these.

Batman - The Telltale Series (7/10)
Really great story. Was engrossed all the way through. However, felt more like a film than a game. Prefer my games to have a little more gamey actions. Only got it for £3.80 so it was money well spent. Played the Shadows Edition which looked mega cool.

Batman - The Enemy Within (7/10)
A continuation from the first game. More of the same goodness. Story maybe even slightly better as it had shades of grey in abundance.

Ori and the Blind Forest (10/10)
The game I was most addicted to from start-to-finish. Brilliant atmosphere. I’ve only had one playthrough so far and I stupidly played it on Hard mode where I died over 1000 times. Still, I bloody loved it even though it was very tough. Will replay at one point on normal mode before buying Ori and the Will of the Wisps, which I hear is just as good, if not better. If that’s at all possible? Will play the sequel on normal first before tackling hard mode - I’ve learned my lesson.

Super Mario Maker 2 (9/10)
I’ve not actually completed the story mode per-se. However, it’s the game I’ve played most on the Switch. After getting addicted to Super Mario Bros and seemingly having so much love for the 2D platformer at the minute, this game felt like a must-buy. And it’s bloody brilliant. Now without its faults though. The online search engine could use some work. All a bit messy and it’s hard to search for super-worlds and courses you want to play.

Edited on by Oswinner

Oswinner

Daniel36

Breath of the Wild, actually.

Got it for my son's birthday. Not a huge fan of Zelda myself, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Not my fave game by any stretch, but simply strolling through the lands, discovering new places was pretty cool. If only they made a game more like that, without the silly stuff.

Daniel36

jedgamesguy

@Daniel36 It never gets old after even four years for me. I've sunk in a good six hundred hours and I'm still finding new things to find, and explore.

What do you mean by silly stuff, do you mean in open-world games in general or in Nintendo's case alone?

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Zuljaras

I have finished DooM Eternal (the base game). It was excellent. I love the action just like in DooM 2016 but in Eternal the Slayer is even more badass!

They made is so everyone is afraid of him! Also the DooM Fortress is very a nice hub/base of operations!

Tyranexx

Final Fantasy VI (SNES Classic) - This one was definitely a good Final Fantasy to start with. I'm a huge fan of 16-bit graphics/the presentation (Other than aspects of the Mode 7 map; that was a bit hard on the eyes sometimes). The plot was decent with some very memorable scenes (The opera house, Ultros encounters, Terra's origin story, and the Phantom Train particularly stick out in my mind), the playable characters all have unique personalities and (mostly) fun gimmicks, and they're all very customizable using the Espers. The music in the game is very memorable. More tracks to hunt down for work listening, I believe! Relics are also quite fun to experiment around with and certainly provide plenty of utility (or light cheating lol).

The complaints I have are very minor. After playing more modern games lately, going back to random encounters in this game did become a bit wearisome at times; thankfully this is alleviated by a certain item, and encounters weren't completely unwelcome (Gotta get that EXP!). It's just that in some areas without breaks or where the mobs weren't worth your time, it started feeling like needless padding. I'm also not fully sold on the ATB system, but this by far isn't the only JRPG that uses a similar format. I do appreciate it for stirring up how traditional turn-based combat works.

This game is easy to recommend for those who love (and can sit through ~40 hours) JRPGs, a good story, don't mind 16-bit graphics, and having a myriad of characters to select from. This game is DEFINITELY worth anyone's time.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

BruceCM

Well, it's basically the same ATB system in IV & V before this, @Tyranexx .... Not quite sure when they adjusted to 'ctb' & came up with other terms for the system in later titles but that's still mostly similar!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Zuljaras

Just beat Resident Evil 5. The game is ok but it is NOT a true RE game The only thing that kept me going were the characters. I only wanted to finish the game. Now I have to go and buy Resident Evil 6 and I heard that it is even worse than 5.

jedgamesguy

Ghost of Tsushima. Extremely emotional ending, that left me extremely satisfied. When I was approaching the final boss, not knowing what would happen, I was thinking to myself, and unknowingly predicted what would happen at the end. Lord Shimura, your adoptive father, came to speak with you but he had been ordered by the shogun to kill you. You ride together, help a peasant, write a final haiku together before your clan is dissolved, and then you fight to the death. You're given a choice to kill or spare Shimura, and I chose to kill him, to give him a warrior's death. It wasn't a very difficult choice ultimately, despite my finger resting on the button.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

thebottomtext

Finished the Japanese cartridge version of Castlevania/Akumajou Dracula on an emulator twice last night, I did enjoy the easy mode as it provided an easier challenge but it was still tough as I found myself dying in some levels.

Edited on by thebottomtext

thebottomtext

Tyranexx

@BruceCM Duly noted. I don't have V, but I do have the DS IV buried deep in the backlog pile (specifically my "Reserves" category, which means I likely won't get to the small handful of games in it within a year). Looking forward to that one as well as I've heard the story is phenomenal, but that it's also arguably the hardest version of the game. XD

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

VoidofLight

I just beat Bravely Default II. There's some stuff about the story that I wish they did better, but it was still a pretty good game overall.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

kkslider5552000

Megaman 7. Of course as soon as I take a break from it, I beat the final boss on my next try.

I'll be honest, while I like the game, between this and especially 11, I have my doubts on this idea of making the classic Megaman series as anything other than the 8 bit style. Just not what I'm looking for. I'd rather just play the SNES X games or a fully modern Megaman game instead. It's still good but I'd much prefer most of the NES games, and I'll probably prefer 9 and 10 when I get to them. Though I'm interested in playing 8 again. I remember liking it more than 7 but also finding it to be more frustrating.

I do wish I didn't know Megaman's lines at the end already. That is incredibly funny.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

BruceCM

Well, we'd be able to help you get the best augments in that, @Tyranexx .... Which do make quite a difference! Along with any other tips needed, of course

SW-4357-9287-0699

Tyranexx

@BruceCM Thanks! Looking forward to when I do play it.

BruceCM

Sometime this year, maybe, @Tyranexx ....? Although that's supposedly so 'difficult', it's quite a bit better in many ways than the GBA version, at least In that, it's more about the general random battles being quite tough that makes the bosses seem easier. Until you get to the final boss, who obliterates your party, despite having done the bonus dungeon with everyone before that
So, while some of the bosses in DS version are probably that bit more difficult & there's one in particular that does require a pretty specific strategy, with the difficulties of getting the timings right, by the time you get to the final boss, that shouldn't really pose too much challenge
While it'd be boring if it was all too easy! Most of the time, you shouldn't need to run around just grinding for too long or anything, either. That was one of my 1st few games on a DS, while I didn't have internet at home, so it's quite possible to beat the game without any guides

SW-4357-9287-0699

Tyranexx

@BruceCM Don't get me wrong, I like a challenge to a point as long as it seems fair, though that also depends on the genre lol. What drew me to that version was the promise of voice acting, the visuals don't bother me, and overall I know it's one of the better entries.

I highly doubt I'll get to it within the next year however. They need to quit releasing games I wanna buy so I can play catch-up on the ones I do have. XD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic