Forums

Topic: Games You Recently Beat?

Posts 1,281 to 1,300 of 3,137

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx yea i hear you. I plan on grabbing so many Wii u and 3ds vc games before the eshop closes whenever that is. Dkc and Mario world games are on the list. Along with many others

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Yep! Same. There are a few SNES, N64, and GBA titles that I want.

... Now does anyone have a cloning machine?

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

MarioVillager92

Just beat Team Sonic Racing's adventure mode. The game itself is really good, and the adventure mode isn't too shabby either (it's quite similar to Transformed's career mode). As I've said before, the team mechanic grew on me, and the tracks and soundtrack are amazing (my favorite tracks are Lost Palace and Sky Road). Now I can get some more time to play online races!

@NintendoByNature If you haven't already, I highly recommend the GBA version of Super Mario Bros. 3. It has all of the e-Reader levels, including ones that were Japan-exclusive. I bought it for the e-Reader levels alone and I don't regret doing it one bit.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

NintendoByNature

@MarioLover92 yea I was eyeing it. I did already get super mario advance: super mario world which i love. Still wana get all the other ones from the Mario, dkc, metroid, and yoshi universes.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

MarioVillager92

@NintendoByNature I've been thinking of getting the GBA Castlevania games on the Wii U eShop, as well. I only played the old-school ones (I've played 1, 2, 4, Bloodlines, and Rondo of Blood - I wanna get the collection on the Switch), but I heard a lot of good things about the GBA games as well as Symphony of the Night.

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

NintendoByNature

@MarioLover92 so i got aria of sorrow for Wii u vc.. It was ok I guess. Not great enough for me to stay focused and finish it. I do however plan on going back to it though and trying to finish it. I struggle but enjoy/appreciate the metroidvania formula which the gba games utilize so be prepared for exploration. As for the castlevania collection it's so worth it. I can't recommend it enough if you like old school castlevania like i do. And sounds like you haven't played 3 yet. It's by far one of my favorite castlevania games.

NintendoByNature

MarioVillager92

@NintendoByNature Yeah, I didn't play 3. I'll definitely play it once I get the collection

Ralizah

The Metroidvanias tend to coast on lazier level design (unlike Metroid games, which tend to have very intricately designed environments) and the RPG mechanics water down the skill requirements a bit. They're still good fun, though.

I really liked how Order of Ecclesia felt like it combined the strengths of the two different styles of 2D Castlevania design.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

NintendoByNature

Finished castlevania 1 for the first time. think I'll take the plunge and start Simon's quest. Wish me luck folks

NintendoByNature

CanisWolfred

@NintendoByNature You'll need more than that. I recommend doing lots of drugs until you're in the correct mindset to comprehend what the level designers were thinking throughout its development.

Or, you know, feel free to look things up. You practically needed a Nintendo Power magazine back then to get through it, so there's no point in wasting your time whenever you get to a brick wall...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

NintendoByNature

@CanisWolfred hahaha I laughed pretty hard at this. I'm going to consult a guide for sure. I kinda wana what all the negative fuss is about. But after all, I did beat zelda 2 multiple times which was pretty hard in its own right.

NintendoByNature

Bunkerneath

Just finished Gato Roboto 96.7% complete damn I need to find that last percentage.
As per the review it was short, but good fun only took me just under 4 hours

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

KarateLuigi

Kid Icarus: Uprising. I will start by saying that it's definitely not my genre and it was a nice check to see if that's still the case. Air sections were fine, ground sections not so much, especially that Space Pirate chapter (not a fan of sci-fi so it combined everything I hate regarding setting and gameplay), but I digress.

I will say that it feels rather unique considering the genre due to its unusual setting and constant dose of humour. Good writing, the English voice acting was surprisingly good, one of the best 3D uses I've seen on that system. The controls... hoo boy... they do make sense and I can't really come up with any actual improvements when going with the same platform, but... I feel like it would've done better on a home console. Having a second analogue stick and some extra buttons would've saved me moments of fumbling and several weeks of physical pain way past actually playing it and I know I'm not alone with this. One drawback would be that it couldn't deploy its 3D there but anyway, they decided to go for 3DS so that's that. Another complaint would be that I would've liked having important dialogue bits like info on mooks a bit sooner and (at least more of the) boss-related dialogue in cutscenes rather than all that constant talking during gameplay which gets cut off once you defeat a boss.

All in all I'd definitely recommend checking it out to people who like comedy, don't mind shooters, aren't prone to hand/wrist pain, and don't mind having to get used to a game's control scheme first. While its gameplay wasn't for me it's still a good, good game and a refreshing experience as a whole.

Currently playing: ACNL, Pokémon Pearl, Pokémon Art Academy, Minecraft, Mario Tennis Aces
Sidegames: Super Kirby Clash, Overcooked 2, Kirby's Dream Land 3

Looking forward to: Luigi's Mansion 3, Pokémon Swish
Hyped for: ACNH

CurryPowderKeg79

I just beat SteamWorld Quest in about 18 hours. And as my first card battle game ever i must say i really enjoyed it. The story isn't anything that's going to win any awards but the game was so much fun that i couldn't put it down. I ended up putting in about 6 hours a day into it for three days straight. I highly recommend this game especially if you find it on sell.

Edited on by CurryPowderKeg79

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
ASPHALT 9: LEGENDS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

Ralizah

Sonic Mania

Platform: PS4

Level of Completion: Normal Ending (vs the true ending, which I assume you get for collecting all the chaos emeralds)

What I Liked:

• Elegant balance of old and new content. Aside from a new stage or two, most of the content here is a mix of old and new. In general, Act 1 replicates the classic design of a stage from a previous 2D Sonic game, while Act 2 switches things up and adds a ton of new mechanics and features to make it feel like a brand new thing entirely. It's an interesting way of keeping this an homage of sorts to classic Sonic games while also making it feel like a new title with its own identity and unique content.
  • Gorgeous pixel art. The people who worked on Sonic Mania clearly poured their hearts and souls into this game, because everything is gorgeous here. The classic parts of stages look as good as they ever did (only in HD this time), but, in the newer content you usually see in Act 2 of a stage, there is some really gorgeous and detailed pixel art. This is evident, for example, in background elements, as well as the new bosses they introduced to this game.
  • A lot of the bosses here some of the most creative and engaging encounters in the entire series. This was an element that disappointed in a lot of older Sonic games. I also like how every stage has a mid-Act boss and then a proper Stage boss, so there's a lot to work with here.
  • This game manages to capture and almost perfectly replicate the nuanced level design and momentum-based gameplay of the older Sonic games in a way other homages do not (see: Freedom Planet, which has broken platforming physics and levels that almost feel endless)
  • The music is fantastic, both old and new. Some of the best tunes in the series can be found here.
  • The difficulty is more balanced than in previous Sonic games for a variety of reasons. In general, it's a lot more managable and approachable than the Genesis classics were.
  • Seems like there's a wealth of additional content. I didn't encounter it, though, as I won't be replaying it.

What I Disliked:

• As usual with classic Sonic games, the level design finds an uneasy medium between speed and proper platforming. One that I feel it never manages to properly capture. This is not, by the way, a criticism of this game in particular, but the level design in all Sonic games. The problem is more pronounced in 3D iterations of the series, but it never attains the functional elegance of something like Super Mario, Rayman, Yoshi's Island, Ristar, Rocket Knight Adventures, etc. You'll spend long sections of a level being bounced around from place to place automatically, only for the game to throw a bunch of spikes in your place, or to punish you for engaging with these aspects of the levels by hiding secrets as you're being bounced around a stage.
  • The game persists in refusing to explain itself, provide clear context for what's happening in the game, or even introduce you to its new mechanics. Good luck figuring out the drop dash is a thing if you didn't read up on it beforehand. This sort of stubborn refusal to engage the player clearly is more understandable in older entries, but there's no reason for it to pop up here, other than the fact that the designers were so intent on making a classic Sonic game that they even replicated the flaws of these games.
  • The labyrinthine level design feels like such a complicated mess of different elements that I rarely bothered to explore. I never got a feel for the overall geometry of a level, because, more often than not, it felt like there was no greater overall design to it.
  • The ring mechanic has always felt like a sort of unrealized inheritance from a Mario game. You're rewarded with an extra life for collecting 100 of them, like coins in a Mario game, but the degree to which you're punished for hitting an enemy (it seems like ALL your rings spill out at once) kind of negates this feeling of reward for collecting a bunch of them, as I knew I could lose almost all of them at any moment. This feels unbalanced. Then, of course, there's the fact that you can sort of ring-scum boss encounters by collecting the same few rings that spill out from you when you're hit, making it where you can get hit numerous times and still survive, all but negating the need for skill in these encounters. Just make sure to abuse the invincibility window and grab a ring or two and you're perfectly safe.
  • The lack of balance extends to the extra stages as well. There's no room for error. You have to fly around a level collecting 90+ blue orbs most of the time, but make the mistake of hitting one red orb and your minutes of work go to waste all at once. Again, it's such a pain that it feels like it's not worth the effort. The stages where you collect the chaos emeralds feel much more well-designed in this regard.
  • With that said, despite not getting the true ending, I feel like some of the chaos emeralds are too hidden, with too few clues to their location in time and space, to jusitiy the effort spent in tracking them down.
  • Puyo Puyo shows up in a boss fight. While I think this is pretty creative, good luck winning this encounter if you've never played this game before and have no idea what to do. Again, the game refuses to explain itself.

Conclusion: Sonic Mania is a beautiful work of passion that so painstakingly seeks to recreate the magic of older Sonic games that it ends up recreating a lot of their problems as well. If you have no issue with the design of classic Sonic games, then this is probably no issue for you, but I do feel, this being a modern game, I have somewhat higher standards that I expect to be met.

Verdict: 6/10

MarioVillager92

I 100%'d Super Mario Odyssey last weekend, and boy, was it quite the adventure! I got every Power Moon, every enemy in my capture log, all the souvenirs, and every music track.

Like virtually any Mario game, I feel that it truly shines when you go beyond just the main story - while playing through for the first time, I had this feeling that the main story was a bit too short. Many of the game's kingdoms have a massive amount of Power Moons to get, which I don't mind too much personally, though I tend to get lost in what to do a few times - particularly when I gradually get more of them. I like how the game encourages creative thinking with the Hint Art that you can find sprinkled throughout the kingdoms, as well. Darker Side is a pretty good true final level, and it will give you a real challenge. Though if you find the Sphynx and answer its question correctly, just once might I add, you get a Life-Up Heart to make the going easier.

Besides the main story being short for my liking, I don't particularly care for missions that have you dress up in a specific costume, talk to this one NPC, and they just give you a Power Moon. Some missions of this nature let you go through a mini-level, but I wish that all the costume missions were like that. They're not game breakers for me, though, and those few issues aside, I had a great time with SMO. The kingdoms are creative and nice to explore, the controls are excellent, the soundtrack is wonderful, the graphics look fantastic for a Switch game, and even the boss fights are right up there with the likes of Super Mario Galaxy. Sure, it may not be perfect, but for an open-world Mario game, I think Nintendo did a swell job with it. Can't wait to see what Mario's next adventure will be like!

Ralizah

@MarioLover92 When I first beat the main story of SMO, I was a bit disappointed with it, but I feel like the game really shines in the post game. I had a ton of fun unlocking new kingdoms, finding new moons, etc. The best challenges all seem to come at the tail-end of the game.

Not my favorite 3D Mario, but I ended up being really happy with it.

NintendoByNature

Just finished cadence of hyrule and wow, i was completely caught off guard with how much i loved it. I was not expecting that in the slightest bit. Being a huge zelda fan i wanted to give it a shot but I wasn't expecting much. The first couple hours are grooling but after you level up quite a but, the tone of the game completely changes. There's so many things I loved about it to list. Quickly though, music, rhythm, items, sounds, the world, all of it really. Its such a great title that's worthy of the name zelda in it as opposed to " that indie game with zelda skins". If you havent already , check it out.

NintendoByNature

gcunit

@Ralizah Just read your Sonic Mania write-up - good stuff. And your cons section is something I could happily copy and paste into a write-up of my thoughts with Sonic games. I just can't seem to get into any of the traditional style that I've tried, though I would say that I like the challenges option to Sonic Generations, as that encourages me to play the levels more than once, focusing on a different element of the gameplay for each run, which helps develop an appreciation for those elements that I don't tend to get on an ordinary run through a stage.

Only thing I'd differ on is the rings. It can be annoying to lose them all, but I like the risk factor, and I also like the fact you can drag yourself through a boss fight using them, because I don't tend to want a slog in my boss fights, I like to get them over with in one attempt.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

RR529

Final Fantasy X HD (Switch)

Pros:

• It has the slickest turn based combat I've ever experienced in an rpg. Everything moves really smoothly/quickly, it has an easy to read guide on screen that displays turn order, and the bosses have dynamic effects that make them very exciting (as an example, there's an early boss fight at sea, and it'll often move to a different side of your ship. This doesn't effect gameplay, though many of the other boss' gimmicks do, but it adds a level of excitement you usually don't see in turn based battles).
  • The sphere grid, while appearing intimidating at first, is a pretty straightforward character growth system. Most characters are effectively locked into a set path for growth at the start (letting you get accustomed to how things work), but by late game you'll have the option to break characters out of their own path, and explore other options (you'd have to go out of your way to do so, but given enough time, everyone can learn everything).
  • It's equipment system is straightforward as well. Unlike other rpgs, gear doesn't inherintly affect stats. All gear has 1-4 ability slots (many have empty slots that you can customise later on), and the only effect they have on you is based on the abilities they have. While a late game shield may have really good abilities, let's say Stoneproof (immune to petrification), Zombieproof (immune to zombie status), and Waterproof (immune to water magic), it won't give you any extra physical defense than that early game shield that only has Fire Ward (diminishes the damage you take from fire magic). Of course, many equipment does have stat altering abilities (such as HP +10%, etc), but that's the only way it can effect your stats, so that makes it very easy to pick what best suits your current foe.
  • While the story does have it's fair share of technobabble (what JRPG doesn't?), I found it pretty easy to follow, and it has some big twists. It didn't quite have the effect that it did when I first played it on PS2 since I knew the major twists, but it still managed to completely grip me.
  • It has a great cast of characters, and they most all have their own interesting character arcs. You'll definitely be sad to part with them when it's time to move on to something else.
  • It has really fantastic world building, with some unique locations, and it still looks really nice cleaned up in HD.
  • It has some classic music, and I dare you not to fall in love with "Suteki da Ne".

Cons:

• Unskippable cutscenes. Not a dealbreaker, but it's annoying having to listen to the same chatty boss' spiel on your second or third attempt.
  • I thought they should have given more backstory to Yu Yevon. He's just a really old, really powerful summoner who's constantly summoning Sin for no particular reason apparently. It would have been more interesting had he had been one of Zanarkand's summoners trying to get an eternal revenge on Bevelle for the destruction of his city.

Other:

• It is very linear. Now, I personally happen to think it works very well for the particular story they're trying to tell, it helps them to keep things moving at a good pace with something of interest happening almost all the time (and I think makes it a great starting point for someone wanting to get into rpgs), but I can understand that it can be a deterrent to some. It does have the ocassional side objective along the way, but it really doesn't open up until the final story location is available (and even then, most of it is superboss type challenges that might only interest the most hardcore players).

Overall, I think it stands the test of time and is up there with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 & Ys VIII as one of the best JRPGs on the system.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic