Forums

Topic: Coronavirus outbreak

Posts 1,481 to 1,497 of 1,497

skywake

@WoomyNNYes @TheJGG
I would think that a company like Nintendo would be pretty well prepared for working remotely. The kinds of infrastructure you'd have in place to collaborate on a software development project would also allow remote work. And that same infrastructure can, and would, be used to share/collaborate all kinds of assets from all sorts of artists. There'd be edge cases where it'd be a lot harder, like recording live music, but in general they'd be well prepared for this.

There would've been some early adjustment in the first couple of months. You'd need to make sure that people had the equipment they needed to work from home for example. You would also have the added complications of having to worry about people's home network and possibly having to deal with VPNs and so on. So that would've put them a bit behind at the start of last year. But once you've got it setup, speaking from experience, if anything people are probably slightly more productive.

Sure it's easier for miscommunication when everyone's WFH and it doesn't really suit intensely collaborative work. And, IMO, there's a tendency for work to sometimes devolve into a series of video calls. But with no commute you can be more flexible with your start and finish times. If there's something you need to focus on you can, IMO, more easily shut out the world and work on it.

Also now that everyone has discovered WFH is an option sick days will largely disappear. Because if you're just a bit sick instead of toughing it out, going into the office and spreading it everywhere you can stay at home. And if you're a bit on the edge of being too sick to work you can see how you go working from home rather than doing that thing were you try to figure out at 7AM in the morning if you're sick enough to take a sick day or not....

tl;dr: I would be surprised if Nintendo's productivity has been impacted much. They're software developers, they're not a tourism operator or restaurant chain

Edited on by skywake

Some Aussie musics: Pond, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jump

@TheJGG in June Nintendo are releasing 3 original retail games, if they are struggling that much they would have spread those releases out. It’s seems fairly safe the rest of the year will be stacked.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

WoomyNNYes

@skywake Very good points.

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider
Playing:
BOTW(started a new game)
Rocket League, 3v3 rank: plat 3 - diamond 1

TheJGG

@skywake As stated very good points indeed. My comment was also a veiled way of saying "keep E3 expectations realistic considering everything," so I'm trying to lower my own!

@jump I sure hope so.

Nintendo Fan Soundtrack II

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours." - Cheshire Cat.

If you'd like to add me on Switch, tag me first!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

jump

Hmm...Download festival are doing a government backed "pilot" to see how an UK music festival can work in a post-covid world. Whilst it's not the usual 100k crowd headlined by the likes of Rammstein, Muse etc like before but it's actually a tempting line up. I'm desperate to go to a festival again and apparently moshing, crowd surfing etc are allowed plus Frank Turner, Skindred and Frank Carter are quality.

Untitled

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

TheJGG

@jump Ah, Donington Park. The place where the legendary lap of the gods took place. Where Ayrton Senna made up three places in half a lap in the wet, and took victory by a minute. THAT Donington Park.

jump

@TheJGG I can’t say I’m fussed about motor racing, it’s seems too much like watching someone drive in a circle for an hour or two. ;p

The only legends I like to see at Donington are Tom Morello from Rage Against The Machine doing his guitar magic in Sleep Now In The Fire, AC/DC’s 60 years old Angus Young wearing a school boy outfit or Skindred doing the Newport Helicopter!

Nicolai wrote:

Dezzy

WoomyNNYes wrote:

@TheJGG While equality for people is good, there are some genetic variations that affect medical outcomes. Data appears to show asian mortality rate for covid has been lower than for western anglo populations, and they aren't quite sure if it's because genetic/race or prior exposure to SARS in the asian region in the previous decade or so.(that knowledge may be months old now, don't know if there's new light on that subject). With more tech/data in recent decades, they are discovering varying outcomes for gender & race. On occasion, it can be significant enough to justify tweaking how things are prescribed.

One of the biggest factors by far is just obesity. Way bigger problem in the west than in east asia.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TheJGG

@jump Funny you say that because I did watch 33 drivers turn left 800 times on Sunday. Also known as the Indianapolis 500. In theory it should be the most boring thing ever but it was okay. Besides, there were 135,000 fans. I don't know how the hell the IMS pulled that off.

That rock is absolutely demonic. Wouldn't be surprised if the next DOOM game took music from this genre...

jump

@TheJGG Hmm....I now want a bonus mode in DOOM where the demons take their shirts off and spin them over their head in time to Skindred! Skindred are properly a "lighter" metal band as they are a ragga metal group who take influence from reggae/ska/soundsystem as much as they do metal. If you want to hear proper demonic music try Napalm Death or Cannibal Corpse, that ***** is too heavy for even me.

I can't see you liking much on the line up honestly, maybe The Wildhearts as they are basicallyThe Beatles if they ever got round to doing a punk album or Frank Turner who has roots in hardcore punk but is today an indie/folk rock singer and is best described by one of his album titles as "Positive Songs for Negative People". His last album was No Man's Land a concept album about the history of cool but overlooked women although it did get some backlash for "mansplaining". I actually really respect his work ethic, since the lockdown he's done a weekly live stream gig with the profits from them having been shared with various small music venues, roadies etc who can't earn at the moment.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Lugazz

Man how I miss going to live concerts! Enjoying loud music, jumping, pushing around, headbanging!

Lugazz

jump

@Lugazz Same here, I normally go to about 20ish gigs a year (plus festivals, indie band nights at a club and seeing my mates' band/promotions) and it's been a year since I've gone to anything. I was planning a week in France last year which was half holiday with the missus and also to see Rage Agains The Machine's reunion at Rock en Seine until it was cancelled. There were a few socially distanced gigs I wanted to go to but they all sold out super quick because the capacity is so small.

What bands did you use to see in the good 'ol days before coivd?

Nicolai wrote:

Lugazz

@jump I would go to see local bands at city clubs, way more during high school / University years than more recently. There is a more rock-oriented club where I'm living now but I had the opportunity to go there only twice! I wish I could have attended a Hellfest man

Matanza and other Brazilian bands from my region, Iron Maiden (my favorite group), Helloween (three times!), Guns 'n Roses + Sebastian Bach, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest + Ozzy + Motörhead, Black Sabbath + Megadeth + Hibria, Black Label Society, Rhapsody of Fire, Sonata Arctica, David Gilmour, Robert Plant... Maybe I'm missing something. I'm still mad at me that I missed KISS when they played the nearest to me they've ever been! All of this was in Brazil

Edit: oh yeah and I went to Rock in Rio 2010, in the "Metal Day"! Angra with Tarja Turunnen and Metallica were the highlights for me

Edit 2: during high school, my friends had a band (I substituted the singer for one bands night at local bar) and they played mostly Pantera, Misfits, Iron Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth with some authoral songs

Edited on by Lugazz

Lugazz

jump

@Lugazz I love Motorhead, I've seen them a good few times over the years and are one of my favourite bands of all time. Ozzy and Black Label Society are cool too. I'm abit more eclectic than just metal/rawk myself. As much as I love the likes of AC/DC, Rage Against The Machine, KoRn, Rammstein and System Of A Down, I will also see the likes of Arcade Fire, Run DMC, The Specials, Jack White and Wu Tang Clan too.

I've always fancied going to Rock In Rio but to travel to Brazil I need alot more than just a festival to justify it to myself. It's fairly easy to me to get to Hellfest but the UK has Download and Bloodstock already to cover my metal needs. I really want to go to Rock am Ring, I've enjoyed Germany whenever I've been but I don't think I've had the right mix of free time, friends to go with and the line up at the same time to actually do it. Boomtown Fair is hands down my favourite festival, it is across between Disneyland and Glastonbury but it can't really be described unless you experience it yourself.

I really miss live music!

Nicolai wrote:

Lugazz

@jump Oh yeah I do listen to other types of music! EDM, lo fi hip hop, jazz, folk songs from my region in Brazil, etc... But as for band concert, I'm definitely more metal and rock hahahaha
I do love some orchestra and opera as well!

Yeah I totally get it, and leaving Brazil for one of those festivals you mentioned is way damn expensive! Now that I'm in Europe, I had hoped to check them out, but after one year here, covid19 happened.

I stratch just a tiny bit that live music itch by playing it myself, I play for fun the bass guitar

Lugazz

WoomyNNYes

@Dezzy I hadn't even thought about that. You're right. Obesity has much higher covid mortality rate. That's very plausible.

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider
Playing:
BOTW(started a new game)

WoomyNNYes

Well... My sister in law starts cancer treatment. So, if I help my brother with my my three nieces, the nieces aren't all vaccinated, because vaccine isn't available for their ages yet. Even though I'm fully vaccinated, since it's not 100% protection (95% effective), I guess I'm still going to be wearing a mask when I go to stores/indoor places with plenty of people, even though rules are relaxing.

This is a guess, until I learn more. I need to see the details of what their doctor suggests.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider
Playing:
BOTW(started a new game)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic