Forums

Topic: Coronavirus outbreak

Posts 1,321 to 1,340 of 1,548

WoomyNNYes

@jump Haha. Yeah, politics is a trap. I just wondered "if" something should be done to preserve the movie theater industry. In the US, theaters are shut down, in my region, where covid numbers never reached the low point they need to reach to reopen the economy without triggering more outbreaks. Forgive me if constraints of no-politics is a tall order

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

porto

@jump I didn't see Mulan, but I did see almost every other Disney remake. The Jungle Book is my one and only favorite. The others are either really bland and tasteless or just so unnecessary.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

jump

Tbh the movie industry will sort itself out. The music industry is far more impacted since the switch to streaming musicians pay isn’t equal to what was earned through actual sales of cds so they have since relied on gigs as income.

Gigs are an even bigger no-no in a coivd world since even at a socially distanced gig you can’t sing along and make noise which takes away the atmosphere which is a huge reason to go to a gig in the first place. This is a pic of a recent socially distanced music festival, it’s depressing.
Untitled
https://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/beardyfolk/2020/review...

Then you throw in how most music venues are independents rather than chains like with cinemas. The chance for it to bounce back once things get back to normal are hurt as many are closing due to not being able to pay their rents in the meantime as well as the people who work in the live music industry are free lancers rather salarymen so they have nothing to live on.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Eel

@jump from what I understand, they made some significant changes that completely transform the overall message of the movie. A review I watched basically summed it to:

The new movie is about a super hero who is already perfect and strong because the Force is strong in her, and just needs to start being awesome.

I haven't watched it myself though. But the disney live action remakes have been disappointing in general though, so I don't really plan to.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

jump

@Eel yeah, her kill count is plenty in the new one but the original still managed to murder (it’s called murder in war right?) the entire army with a single rocket!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

jump

@Eel yeah luckily they weren’t crushed to death by the snow, they were just waiting for it to melt so they could escape but that’s when they drowned from the melted snow instead.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Tyranexx

"They just popped up out of the snow! Like daisies!" XD One of my favorite lines from the animated film.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

porto

@jump God that picture is stupid. Do people really want to risk getting COVID that much they'd go to a stupid concert?

China did it right. If America continues the way it's going the virus won't go anywhere.

porto

WoomyNNYes

@Northwind Haha. It may not be an indication of a serious condition. The sneaky thing about covid (you may know this) is it's common to go from mild symptoms to deadly within a few hours. It can come on rather suddenly. And because of DT's age & being overweight, going to the hospital for monitoring would be a prudent precaution. BBC news reviewed death rates for different age brackets, and for 75 years and older, there is a 1 in 8 chance of dying. DT is 74 years old.

Ha.. "BJ", you rascal

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

jump

@Apportal there were safe practices at that festival, socially distanced, outdoors, you’re not allowed to sing, limited capacity etc so it’s as safe maybe even safer than people in this thread who were going to the cinema or people going to get their junk food.

I disagree gigs are stupid. They are as stupid as movies, books, video games or any number of unimportant things in life. Music and gigs are important to me as looking back going to music festivals as a kid was a key growing experience, there were bands which helped develop my social and political views, I met my girlfriend at a gig, I have several friends who are promoters and musicians, gigs have been used as an excuse to see old friends, a guy I work with for the last 6 months and only just only met had a bonding conversation about gigs when we first met etc.

The music industry is bigger than both the video games and film industries, it also has far more independent and free lancers involved so in my opinion is far more deserving of hep than the film industry.

Nicolai wrote:

porto

@jump When I said "stupid concert" I was just emphasizing my point on how dangerous going to a large gathering is. I didn't say gigs themselves were wrong. I actually went to a few before the pandemic, and I thoroughly enjoy them more than movies or games.

I meant risking your life to go to a concert -or any non-essential gathering- is stupid. There are a ton of safety precautions, sure, but you're still surrounded by a large group of people. My mother's motto is "You can never be too safe". I never realized how much I actually agree with it now

Edited on by porto

porto

Xyphon22

@Apportal Yeah, how many more times are cities/states/whatever going to have to follow the same pattern of "numbers go down->reopen businesses->numbers skyrocket->close everything down again" before we realize that there is no safe number except 0. Just stop doing unnecessary things and wear a mask while you do the necessary things. Simple.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Tyranexx

I've been avoiding crowds and large gatherings when possible, though that was normal behavior for me even before World War P; the behavior is just dialed up now. I've still admittedly went to a couple of small gatherings, but only if there were social distancing protocols in place. Bonus points if they're outdoors. I'm okay with going to some public places that are relatively isolated; honestly, I'd say my theater visit was safer than my last supermarket visit. I saw maybe four other people total at the former thanks to my precautions, two of which were employees.

The amount of people I've seen that even bother to wear masks that wear them below their nose...however....Ugh.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (Switch)

WoomyNNYes

@Tyranexx People with their mask pulled down, have they been close to you? I've only seen people do that when they are in a parking lot outdoors (far from other people) or driving their own car. I've never seen it indoors or been close to them.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

Tyranexx

@WoomyNNYes Sometimes they're for breathing breaks when they're far from others, yes. I'm fine with that. But there have definitely been a fair few who were just going about their shopping with the masks only covering their mouths. I get it, they're not comfortable to wear for too long and can aggravate some other symptoms such as seasonal allergies and health conditions like asthma in the right situations. But if someone has to be around people, they either need to learn to deal with the mask over their breathing passages or find errand alternatives.

I admittedly don't see the point of wearing a mask in one's own car unless they're transporting others not in their immediate household or someone with the illness itself, or else briefly jumping between indoor locations while on the job or running errands.

porto

@Tyranexx I don't take my mask off until I get in my car, just to be safe. I can reason with people if they have asthma problems if they have to wear it for a hours on end, but for just a simple shopping trip and such you should just deal with it. Or like you said find an alternative.

America doesn't take anything seriously. If I were in the position to move I would. That's how bad it is. there are some law-abiding citizens, but for the most part, people just won't listen. That's why I think people blaming the government for not taking care of the pandemic are dead wrong. It'd be a LOT easier if we would just obey the commands given.

I don't go into most any store anymore. If I can, I use the pickup order so they bring it to me. I've been using it before the virus started. I used to think people were lazy for doing it, but man it saves up so much time.

Edited on by porto

porto

Tyranexx

@Apportal From what I've read, it isn't just Americans who aren't listening; ignorant people come in all shapes, sizes, and tongues. But agreed, some people, including many Americans, definitely have a problem. In terms of the US, I think it's a multilayered issue: not much of a mask culture to begin with, the mixed messaging on the virus from various officials and organizations, the fact that the whole thing was dragged into politics like about everything else, the easy access and prevalence of misinformation....There's probably quite a list that history books will be able to construct when the time comes. And yeah, I don't believe how America has reacted to the virus is sorely the fault of the federal government; the problem is at multiple levels.

I also think part of it, from observations around here, is the fact that some see it as just another virus that's joined the rotation and don't fully understand why many are going crazy (not helped by the panic buyers early on) over something they believe that's about as lethal as other similar types of viruses. Some are just tired of all the restrictions for something that they believe has little long-term impact on their health but IS messing royally with their jobs, businesses, schedules, their child(ren)'s activities, educational opportunities, extracurriculars, and so on. All very real problems with no easy solutions in some cases, particularly for individuals and families who are less well off. Too, my state (IL) has many restrictions still in place that vary depending on the region. I really think a lot of it is just fatigue. Again, these are observations, not necessarily how I think.

I've been keeping store visits to a minimum. I can keep grocery store visits to about every two weeks despite the fact that most of the stuff I buy is perishable and expires quickly. Everything else....I buy in bulk when I do go so that I don't have to visit again in some time. A few things I just order online. I dislike shopping even in more normal times, so this behavior isn't too unusual for me either.

jump

The zero case number is wrong, it’s safe once theres zero case or there’s a vaccine, which ever comes first and most likely a vaccine.

Nicolai wrote:

Xyphon22

@Northwind Yes, I meant 0 cases. If we ever get down to only 1 case left in the entire world, that idiot will still go out and spread it instead of quarantining. As long as he/she is in the US, at least. (Fellow cynic, here, if you couldn't tell.)

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic