Forums

Topic: All-Encompassing E3 2019 Thread

Posts 121 to 140 of 575

Dezzy

I don't feel like Nintendo will be able to compete with Final Fantasy 7 and Cyberpunk this year.

Metroid Prime would've been a good competitor in those genres, but I guess not. Maybe Bayonetta 3 will end up being a big deal. Bayonetta 2 was certainly a damn impressive game.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

kkslider5552000

Dezzy wrote:

I don't feel like Nintendo will be able to compete with Final Fantasy 7 and Cyberpunk this year.

1. Pokemon
2. Final Fantasy 7 and Cyberpunk alone do not determine the success of any console right now, regardless of how well they'll sell.

i mean unless you mean specifically trying to present the most hype e3 presentation, which unfortunately is a lost cause at this point

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

@Dezzy Why would Nintendo need to "compete" with those games?

It's not like the millions of people excited for games like Animal Crossing and Pokemon S/S will be less interested or hyped because an adult cyberpunk RPG or a remake of a classic SE JRPG are releasing on entirely different systems. They'll certainly command more interest from a greater number of people than Metroid Prime ever would. Or Cyberpunk 2077, for that matter.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

redd214

Seems really quiet this year. I remember last year it was a solid month before e3 we started getting news almost every day. Now 20 days out and barely anything.

redd214

Grumblevolcano

@redd214 Well there's probably not much going on. Chances are Nintendo announced most of their E3 lineup in the September and February Directs, Microsoft's lineup is probably going to be limited unless they're going all out with next gen news, Sony's not present at all and Walmart Canada hasn't leaked a bunch of 3rd party games yet.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

@Dezzy Why would Nintendo need to "compete" with those games?

It's not like the millions of people excited for games like Animal Crossing and Pokemon S/S will be less interested or hyped because an adult cyberpunk RPG or a remake of a classic SE JRPG are releasing on entirely different systems. They'll certainly command more interest from a greater number of people than Metroid Prime ever would. Or Cyberpunk 2077, for that matter.

Yes, I should've been more specific. I meant compete in terms of visual spectacle, rather than compete in terms of whether people like the games.

I mean Zelda is my favourite series, and I'm going to absolutely love Links Awakening remake, but it's also not the kind of thing that really makes for a visual spectacle. It's a fairly simple game, where 1 trailer was pretty much all I needed to see to know I'll buy it.

So what I meant was games that are on the cutting edge in terms of gameplay, graphics or sheer scale, which is what makes for interesting trailers. I don't think Nintendo currently has anything in that category.
Metroid Prime 4 would've been the main candidate. Perhaps Bayonetta 3 might be too.

FF7 and Cyberpunk are the main leaders in this category for me. Maybe Halo Infinite as well, although it's probably too soon to know how innovative that will be. Obviously there are plenty of other candidates too. Death Stranding is probably in this category for other people.

Edited on by Dezzy

link3710

@redd214 To be fair, half the stuff we were getting before E3 last year turned out to be fake. The rumor mill just seems to be turning less between the lack of real leaks and people being generally satisfied with the release schedule for the rest of the year for once.

link3710

Octane

@Dezzy I got excited, but then I realised Death Stranding won't be at E3.

Octane

link3710

@Dezzy What about Astral Chain? If we're going to talk about spectacle, I expect that to be the top game on Switch this year. Daemon Ex Machina isn't half bad either.

On an unrelated note, I just noticed we're getting: Crash Team Racing, Super Mario Maker 2, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Fire Emblem Three Houses, all over the course of 6 weeks. 6 titles in 6 weeks... that's gonna kill me. Especially if Daemon Ex Machina falls in there too somewhere.

link3710

CurryPowderKeg79

From what I've heard about the 2019 E3 it's going to be anything but All Encompassing.

Edited on by CurryPowderKeg79

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
ASPHALT 9: LEGENDS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

redd214

@link3710 I'm wasn't necessarily referring to the leaks last year, though the Walmart Canada one was for the most part spot on, I mean actual news and reveals. I remember we got a decent amount leading up to e3 last year and not so much this year. All good though was just an observation, excited nonetheless!

redd214

Ralizah

@Dezzy If Nintendo was concerned about "visual spectacle," they wouldn't release underpowered consoles that can't run most third-party AAA games. And if fans were so concerned about visual spectacle, they wouldn't be turning out in droves to pay $300 for a system that, at bottom, is a glorified gaming tablet.

Notice how Sony's consoles are going to be all-about 4K/HDR/ray-tracing/etc. while Nintendo's incredibly successful pitch is "Anytime, Anywhere, with Anyone?"

Edited on by Ralizah

Dezzy

@Ralizah

I don't think visual spectacle just means cutting edge graphics tech.
Breath of the Wild was a visual spectacle, and that was a Wii U game. It can mean innovation in terms of ideas, style, or graphics.
Breath of the Wild was good because of style and ideas, not graphics. That's fine with me. I don't need Nintendo making many games with the graphics of God of War, but I do need them making things that can't be explained as "similar to the previous game in the series." (which probably will describe Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon, Pikmin). I'll still buy those sorts of games like I said, but I'm not as excited by them.

Edited on by Dezzy

Ralizah

@Dezzy Nintendo is good at iterative progression. The people who buy their systems expect iterative progression. Once in a blue moon you get a successful experiment from them, but, in general, god help them if they try something truly new, because people will rip them apart.

People might complain, for example, that the new Pokemon games don't stray too far from the established formula, but they would also complain if Game Freak took 5 years to make some bold and ambitious re-invention of the franchise. It'd also possibly kill the established metagame for long-time fans.

Anyway, Astral Chain is going to be a pretty big and ambitious action game, so you might want to check that out.

The new Fire Emblem seems pretty ambitious, too. It's complex and quite different from the last few games in the series.

Edited on by Ralizah

Anti-Matter

@Ralizah
I'm tired with All OMG HD realistic graphics from almost all AAA western games. It was like they try to compte to deliver as realistic like FF XV as possible and it just made me feel sour. I just rolled my eyes when i quickly recognized the OMG HD realistic graphics like that, made me immediately avoid those "disgusting" images from my eyes. It was like OMG HD realistic become a dogma for hardcore gamers and i'm sick to see reality like that. 🙄

Anti-Matter

IceClimbers

As far as the twins go, it felt like we got the last big wave of titles for the current gen announced at last year's E3. There's still some stuff left of course, but last year covered most of what's left I feel and a lot of it has released already (KH3, RE2, Sekiro, DMC V, Rage 2, Jump Force, Crackdown 3, Days Gone, etc).

As for Nintendo, I think we already know their main lineup so I'm not expecting very many new game announcements. 1 or 2 at the most in addition to some 3rd party ports.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Ryu_Niiyama

I'm really at this point hoping for more of Nintendo's B list franchises as those I feel are the ones Nintendo takes the most risk with. I would love a new pushmo. I do hope Sqeenix is offloading the retro FF games. For that matter I would love for a retro DQ dump. (I'm sure that is too soon given the 3ds versions but some of the remakes are stuck on the DS....)

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ralizah

It does seem a pity that Nintendo isn't releasing more of their smaller, digital only games like they did on the 3DS. The last game we got in that vein was Snipperclips.

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah You're not counting Box Boy + Box Girl last month?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano It's just an extension of the 3DS Box Boy games. I'd like to see more original releases.

Sorry, this topic has been locked.