Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site

Posts 1,281 to 1,300 of 2,579

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Heh, not my problem as long as it's applied as intended! Glad to see you picked up on who I'm referring to.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Well, as the Highlander would say: "There can be only one"...
Pretty cheeky coming from you, though.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX I aim to please.

I do see how this would benefit other users with less specific tastes though. I'd like to filter out some of the "Rumour" articles at certain times of the year.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx I can understand the appeal for some, but for me personally, it just feels like hiding the cigarettes when you're trying to quit smoking. Or hiding the booze when you want to quit drinking, or hiding the Hershey bars when... well, I suppose you'll get the point.

If you don't want to do something, then just don't do it. No need to have something else help you not to do or see it. If I don't want to read an article, because I'm either not interested or don't want to risk reading spoilers, then I just don't click on it.

It really is that simple...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Grumblevolcano

@ThanosReXXX Article names and taglines can be rather spoiler heavy themselves, you don't have to click to be spoiled. For example, let's look at September Direct rumours/leaks:

• "An Overwatch Switch Carry Case Exists, No Prizes For Guessing What Comes Next" -> Overwatch opened the September Direct
  • "Rumour: The Next DLC Fighter For Smash Bros. Ultimate Might Be Representing SNK" -> Terry Bogard announced in the September Direct
  • "Rumour: Dataminer Uncovers SNES Games For Nintendo Switch Online Service" -> SNES games for NSO announced in the September Direct
  • "Rumour: Looks Like Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag And Rogue Remastered Could Both Be Switch-Bound" -> Assassin's Creed: The Rebel Collection announced in the September Direct

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

I want to see a Filter that can disable any articles that talking about rated Mature games so i can find upcoming Nintendo Switch games without disturbed by rated Mature games existences.
I don't even want to see, hear and know about them at all. Even the cover / screenshot is very Vulgar, Evil and Taboo for me.

Anti-Matter

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Trust me, I don't lose any sleep if something is spoiled for me. I have other things that range from major to trivial to worry about.

As @Grumblevolcano has pointed out, some of the article headings ARE a bit spoilery. While that definitely cuts down on obvious clickbait intentions, I'd still rather be surprised by some game info every now and again.

ThanosReXXX

@Grumblevolcano @Tyranexx Fair points from both of you, so after some consideration I kinda agree.
I think it would be a good idea to either shorten the article titles, or not add tag lines/tags, to not spoil things for people. For instance, and along the lines of what I said earlier, I simply don't click on articles that don't interest me, but sometimes, when there's like a whole campaign going on concerning a certain game, such as Pokémon Sword/Shield, then it's pretty hard to avoid these articles, so then it certainly would have been nice to filter some of that out, or be able to ignore it a bit more easy.

So, I do agree with what you two said, but in general, I think I can still manage with my own modus operandi.

I think the tricky thing for the NLife crew would be that they still need to generate interest, and completely non-descript (or barely informative) article headlines will obviously not achieve that, so for them, it would probably not be a realistic option. So, keep the members happy, or keep the site profitable? Bit of a double edged sword, really...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX It's personally not a change I'd consider a huge deal in the grand scheme of things for this site (speaking from the view of a software dev), though I'm not a member of the site crew here and can only guess as to their priorities. They definitely want to generate as many clicks as possible in an (I would hope) non-misleading manner.

In the meantime, your modus operandi is similar to mine. I've gotten better at skimming through articles and queuing the ones I'm interested in for later on my work breaks.

Mijzelffan

I suggested the tag filtering in october and one person seconded my suggestion, now Grumblevolcano suggested the same thing with 4 people seconding them. That's 6 people who are interested in tag filtering, would be nice if we could get a staff response to the suggestion.

Mijzelffan

Octane

@Mijzelffan I suppose you can always ask @antdickens what he thinks about it, or if it's even doable/practical in the first place.

Octane

antdickens

@Mijzelffan it's an interesting idea. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be super easy to implement with how the site works currently... however, I'll certainly consider that as a feature for the next big update. I would want to tie this into the idea that you could get alerts for certain tags too, so you could "subscribe" or "mute" perhaps.

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

antdickens

@Northwind we do have an "alias" field that usually stores the alternate name of a game. This is used on the main search (at the top of the page) but wasn't in-use on the "Bulk Add" feature on the games collection. I've changed it, so it now will search the alias too. So if you search "Lightening Force" or "Biohazard" you should now get the results... can you confirm?

@antdickens

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

Cyz

I really like the Game Collection feature on this site.

The only thing I miss is a way to filter games that I consider finished, so I can only see the 'unfinished games' (and then scare myself).

This feature could be more subtle than that (what about unfinishable game like rocket league or games with more achievements after the main story to 100% it or game you just won't play because you don't like it ... ), but the primary need would be to see 'what I did not play and maybe forgot a bit'

Current: ??? | Backlog completion : 23/60+
Last Done: Night In The Woods, Wandersong, WarpShift, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Trials of Mana, Doom3, Figment, Celeste, Forgotton Anne, Nairi, Steamworld Dig, Hollow Knight, ...

antdickens

@Cyz yeah when we built this we didn’t really want to compete with things like backloggery but what you describe wouldn’t be that hard to implement, so maybe we’ll add that in the future if enough people want it

@antdickens

link3710

If we're talking about the games collection, something I'd love to see is the ability to search for games for a system I haven't marked at all. I tend to mark most Switch titles at the level of want I have for them, so it'd be great to have a way to see which ones I haven't investigated.

link3710

SpringLand

I think there should be a thread or something warning users about resellers of digital codes.
The dangers might seem obvious, but I've noticed lots of hype online about some shady sites selling Animal Crossing discounted or a reduced price on Switch Online. Could be worth having a page about the hazards of resellers.

SpringLand

WoomyNNYes

Does anyone else agree that the Ninetndo Download page would be better if it only focused on games that are recently available?

I like the weekly Nintendo Download page because, most of it's games are newly released. Exciting, right? But, for me, I am frequently disappointed when I see a cool game in there that still doesn't release for another week (Tuesday releases are still another 5 days away).

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Dogorilla

Speaking of the Nintendo Download page, why does it no longer include Wii U and 3DS eShop sales? Has Nintendo stopped including those in its press releases or is it just that this site's writers don't feel it's worth including them any more? Personally they're of more interest to me than Switch eShop sales, because Wii U and 3DS sales are becoming less and less frequent so they're worth keeping an eye on in case a particular game goes on sale for potentially the last time.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic