Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 1,472

Diddy64

@Octane You are right. I just checked and the comment is no longer there. So it's safe to assume the individual has been banned. Thanks for checking and sorry if I take some of your time.

Undergoing games:
Zelda BotW (playing it)
Fire Emblem Awakening (playing it)
Octopath Traveler (on hiatus)
Hyrule Warriors DE (on hiatus)
Zelda Phantom Hourglass (on hiatus)

WoomyNNYes

I'll leave judgement up to Nintendo Life staff, but I think it would be great if I could toggle an option to ping me an email when Nintendo Life posts a review. Sometimes, I visit the site and say," Holy crap! I didn't know hat review is out!??", or in other cases I'm eagerly waiting for specific game review. This current tourist-y game will go nameless for now But I'd welcome the option to toggle email pings when reviews are posted.

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider
(Nobody says "extreme". I said it to be silly.)
Playing: Rocket League (platinum1 3v3, gold3 1v1), Splatoon 2
Would pay handsomely for Geoguessr on Switch

dew12333

Sorry to moan, but I noticed you mentioned that if I used adbloc it would stop revenue for you. So you will be pleased to here I have turned it off for.

However I have noticed that most of the adverts are for playstation, is it just me but that's just wrong. It looks like you sold yourself to the devil!

dew12333

Grumblevolcano

I've thought of an idea for the site that would be extremely useful, the ability to mute tags. For example mute the "rumour" tag and no articles featuring leaks appear on the home page. Back in the Wii U days, Directs used to be full of huge surprises and with a mute tag option those who want that kind of surprise back can without going internet silent.

Along with this, also add in a special tag for the controversy stuff like the national dex situation for Sword/Shield so people can mute that if they want.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Tyranexx

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I've thought of an idea for the site that would be extremely useful, the ability to mute tags. For example mute the "rumour" tag and no articles featuring leaks appear on the home page. Back in the Wii U days, Directs used to be full of huge surprises and with a mute tag option those who want that kind of surprise back can without going internet silent.

Along with this, also add in a special tag for the controversy stuff like the national dex situation for Sword/Shield so people can mute that if they want.

I second tag filtering. I don't mind most of the stuff that I see on the main site's timeline, but there are occasionally articles I'd rather ignore entirely.

Tag filtering for Mature content might help satisfy a certain someone too.

Currently playing: Secret of Mana (CoM/Switch), Pushmo

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx That would probably, or rather: more than likely result in a VERY short home page article list...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Heh, not my problem as long as it's applied as intended! Glad to see you picked up on who I'm referring to.

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Well, as the Highlander would say: "There can be only one"...
Pretty cheeky coming from you, though.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX I aim to please.

I do see how this would benefit other users with less specific tastes though. I'd like to filter out some of the "Rumour" articles at certain times of the year.

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx I can understand the appeal for some, but for me personally, it just feels like hiding the cigarettes when you're trying to quit smoking. Or hiding the booze when you want to quit drinking, or hiding the Hershey bars when... well, I suppose you'll get the point.

If you don't want to do something, then just don't do it. No need to have something else help you not to do or see it. If I don't want to read an article, because I'm either not interested or don't want to risk reading spoilers, then I just don't click on it.

It really is that simple...

Grumblevolcano

@ThanosReXXX Article names and taglines can be rather spoiler heavy themselves, you don't have to click to be spoiled. For example, let's look at September Direct rumours/leaks:

• "An Overwatch Switch Carry Case Exists, No Prizes For Guessing What Comes Next" -> Overwatch opened the September Direct
  • "Rumour: The Next DLC Fighter For Smash Bros. Ultimate Might Be Representing SNK" -> Terry Bogard announced in the September Direct
  • "Rumour: Dataminer Uncovers SNES Games For Nintendo Switch Online Service" -> SNES games for NSO announced in the September Direct
  • "Rumour: Looks Like Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag And Rogue Remastered Could Both Be Switch-Bound" -> Assassin's Creed: The Rebel Collection announced in the September Direct

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

I want to see a Filter that can disable any articles that talking about rated Mature games so i can find upcoming Nintendo Switch games without disturbed by rated Mature games existences.
I don't even want to see, hear and know about them at all. Even the cover / screenshot is very Vulgar, Evil and Taboo for me.

The things i LOVE :
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Eurobeat songs
3. Japan
4. Six pack dudes
5. Cute Chibi looking
6. Boxing & Kickboxing
7. Girly games
8. Life simulation games
9. White & Blue colors
10. Anthro animals

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX Trust me, I don't lose any sleep if something is spoiled for me. I have other things that range from major to trivial to worry about.

As @Grumblevolcano has pointed out, some of the article headings ARE a bit spoilery. While that definitely cuts down on obvious clickbait intentions, I'd still rather be surprised by some game info every now and again.

ThanosReXXX

@Grumblevolcano @Tyranexx Fair points from both of you, so after some consideration I kinda agree.
I think it would be a good idea to either shorten the article titles, or not add tag lines/tags, to not spoil things for people. For instance, and along the lines of what I said earlier, I simply don't click on articles that don't interest me, but sometimes, when there's like a whole campaign going on concerning a certain game, such as Pokémon Sword/Shield, then it's pretty hard to avoid these articles, so then it certainly would have been nice to filter some of that out, or be able to ignore it a bit more easy.

So, I do agree with what you two said, but in general, I think I can still manage with my own modus operandi.

I think the tricky thing for the NLife crew would be that they still need to generate interest, and completely non-descript (or barely informative) article headlines will obviously not achieve that, so for them, it would probably not be a realistic option. So, keep the members happy, or keep the site profitable? Bit of a double edged sword, really...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX It's personally not a change I'd consider a huge deal in the grand scheme of things for this site (speaking from the view of a software dev), though I'm not a member of the site crew here and can only guess as to their priorities. They definitely want to generate as many clicks as possible in an (I would hope) non-misleading manner.

In the meantime, your modus operandi is similar to mine. I've gotten better at skimming through articles and queuing the ones I'm interested in for later on my work breaks.

Mijzelffan

I suggested the tag filtering in october and one person seconded my suggestion, now Grumblevolcano suggested the same thing with 4 people seconding them. That's 6 people who are interested in tag filtering, would be nice if we could get a staff response to the suggestion.

Mijzelffan

Octane

@Mijzelffan I suppose you can always ask @antdickens what he thinks about it, or if it's even doable/practical in the first place.

Octane

antdickens

@Mijzelffan it's an interesting idea. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be super easy to implement with how the site works currently... however, I'll certainly consider that as a feature for the next big update. I would want to tie this into the idea that you could get alerts for certain tags too, so you could "subscribe" or "mute" perhaps.

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

Northwind

Would it be possible to have separate pages for games with radically different titles between anglophone regions (since other than the title and url, all the content could be identical between the two in most cases)? Or, if that's deemed too much faff or too redundant in most cases (because I realise web-hosting is expensive), to have the one page that exists recognise both titles?

I just spent way too long trying to add 'SEGA AGES: Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar' to my Games Collection, only to finally realise that the reason I was having such difficulty locating it was that it was in the database as 'SEGA AGES: Thunder Force IV' and the NA title is nowhere in the database. I was moments away from adding it myself before I remembered that this particular game had a radically different title between regions.

Whilst I agree with Damien that the NA title sucks, it is what it is - and what it is is 'impossible to locate in the database without prior knowledge of the EU title'. If there aren't any dramatic differences in the versions beyond the title (and afaik there aren't), then it would seem easy enough to add a database entry for 'SEGA AGES: Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar' that simply redirects to https://www.nintendolife.com/games/switch-eshop/sega_ages_thu... and so on for other games with radically different titles between regions. (In the rare case that two different regions get a significantly different version of the same game - regardless of whether the titles differ - then completely separate pages might be warranted - but that's probably unnecessary in most cases.)

Autocorrect keeps causing me to write things I didn't Nintendo.

My Nintendo: Northwind | Twitter:

antdickens

@Northwind we do have an "alias" field that usually stores the alternate name of a game. This is used on the main search (at the top of the page) but wasn't in-use on the "Bulk Add" feature on the games collection. I've changed it, so it now will search the alias too. So if you search "Lightening Force" or "Biohazard" you should now get the results... can you confirm?

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic