Forums

Topic: What is your investment in Amiibo?

Posts 1 to 20 of 23

rockodoodle

Do you have regrets?

I think I have close to 60 give or take. Thankfully, I never paid more than retail, save one and it was just a few dollars more. Guessing it came out to around $800, as i got at least a few on sale.

When they were scarce, I kinda enjoyed the hunt. After a while, the thrill wore off and I had massive regret. Came very close to getting rid of most of them. Now, while there are still some I wish I didn't get, I am ok with what I have spent. I just need to be far more selective.

rockodoodle

Anti-Matter

@rockodoodle
"Do you have regrets?"

Not at all.

I can use my Amiibo especially the Animal Crossing series to play Amiibo Festival, ACNL, ACNH, other Nintendo games with Amiibo support.

I only buy Amiibo for games i need specific Amiibo to unlock something.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

rockodoodle

They were fun for a while with Smash. Then they became clutter. For me at least. I have about half still in the box, so maybe those will appreciate in value some day.

rockodoodle

klingki

If I remember correctly, I have all of the Zelda-related ones, the two pixel Marios, all of the Splatoon ones (except for the recolors), and all of the Shovel Knight ones (except golden Shovel Knight). It worked out for me because all of the ones I had general interest in were the ones I wanted in order to unlock in-game stuff anyway.

I am sort of tempted to get an N2 Elite though. I know it's sort of a gray area, but it would be cool to theoretically have every amiibo at your disposal.

klingki

Buizel

I picked up Link with Smash 4 back in the day, just for the novelty. Very quickly I began picking up my favourites...the Zelda characters, Mario characters, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, etc...

Before I knew it I was going after pretty much all of them, preordering what I could and hunting down everything else. This was in 2015 at the peak of the craze so it was actually quite exciting...it felt like every single amiibo had a story behind it due to the difficulty in getting them.

Ultimately I got all of the non-DLC Smash 4 characters, plus a few others that had released along the way (Smash DLC, Mario party, various Zelda amiibo, 8-bit Mario). I found my interest really slowing down in 2017 - this was a mix of personal reasons (having moved to London so getting used to an increased cost of living), having a new gaming interest in the Switch, and realising that so many amiibo were coming out that I couldn't really keep up.

I was satisfied to simply stop collecting but did hold on for my amiibo for a couple of years. But in 2019 I realised that they were most often just sitting in a box - and that whenever I did display them it felt quite cluttered and I was getting little joy out of them.

Ultimately I traded them all in to CeX, obtaining perhaps £500 of credit. Well, except for the yarn Yoshis which I couldn't bring myself to give up. That was certainly an interesting experience - standing there for perhaps an hour while the clerk had to identify and input each one into the shop database (often I would have to help with the identification of more obscure characters!). In the end my credit went towards an Xbox One X and a few games.

Was it a waste of money? Probably yes. Do I regret the experience? Not at all, really. I did get a lot of enjoyment out of those amiibo, and I remember the experience of hunting them down quite fondly. It just turns out that what I have left isn't the figures themselves but the memories of collecting them.

Edited on by Buizel

Previously "timleon" and "HunterLeon"

Currently playing: Pokemon Brilliant Diamond, Shin Megami Tensei V, Ghost of Tsushima

gcunit

I never really took to amiibo - wasn't a fan of the base they're nearly all standing on. But I bought a blue yarn Yoshi (and got a green yarn Yoshi with my copy of Woolly World) to celebrate the fact that they'd bothered to design one that didn't need a plastic base.

I also bought the version of Twilight Princess HD that came with Wolf Link, so I have that one.

Then I won an auction on eBay for Monster Hunter Stories that happened to come with a 'one-eyed liolaeus and rider' amiibo, so I have that.

That was my lot, until there was a restock of the Zelda amiibo. Having got more into Zelda by this point I decided to get some of those: BotW Zelda, Wind Waker Link, Wind Waker Zelda, OoT Link, Majora's Mask Link, Young Link. I thought about getting the BotW Champions too, but haven't yet. I'd also like to have a Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and BotW Link, but I just don't like any of those models enough.

So that's where I'm at and possibly where I'll stay. Between £75-100 spent I reckon. I don't think I've ever used an amiibo in-game (maybe I did with yarn Yoshi once just to see what happened).

If my domestic circumstances were different maybe I'd have a lot more and dot them all around my home, but I don't, so most of them are just sat in a box currently.

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

MS7000

Oh lordy. I have a fairly sizable amount of amiibo; nowhere near a full collection, but enough to have a dedicated shelf. I have one of every Zelda amiibo and one of every Splatoon amiibo (barring the recolours of the splat1 amiibos), and a variety of other amiibos. I would probably have more if I could hunt them down for a reasonable price (regret not being able to get the giant yarn Yoshi amiibo, and the two Metroid amiibos).

Was it a waste of money? Probably, I don't think Nintendo ever managed to properly make use of amiibo, such as a dedicated game (not the demo collection for vc on Wii U). So most of the time, they are just sitting on my shelf.

Do I regret it?

...No. No I don't think I do. They are still pretty cool to look at, and is a good bit of gaming history.

Edited on by MS7000

Signature, huh? Where do I sign?

WoomyNNYes

@rockodoodle I've only bought amiibo cards from Etsy, a pack of all Splatoon amiibo, since I didn't want the figures(even though they look good). The cards work great. The art on the cards looks like they could be licensed products, but they aren't. Which probably explains why the seller is no longer on Etsty 🤪

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider
'Tendo liker
Rocket League (3v3 - platinum III/diamond I)

rockodoodle

Sealed Zelda probably have a good chance to have a decent resale value. Maybe eventually Animal Crossing the way it has taken off. And of course, Pokemon.

gcunit wrote:

I never really took to amiibo - wasn't a fan of the base they're nearly all standing on. But I bought a blue yarn Yoshi (and got a green yarn Yoshi with my copy of Woolly World) to celebrate the fact that they'd bothered to design one that didn't need a plastic base.

I also bought the version of Twilight Princess HD that came with Wolf Link, so I have that one.

Then I won an auction on eBay for Monster Hunter Stories that happened to come with a 'one-eyed liolaeus and rider' amiibo, so I have that.

That was my lot, until there was a restock of the Zelda amiibo. Having got more into Zelda by this point I decided to get some of those: BotW Zelda, Wind Waker Link, Wind Waker Zelda, OoT Link, Majora's Mask Link, Young Link. I thought about getting the BotW Champions too, but haven't yet. I'd also like to have a Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and BotW Link, but I just don't like any of those models enough.

So that's where I'm at and possibly where I'll stay. Between £75-100 spent I reckon. I don't think I've ever used an amiibo in-game (maybe I did with yarn Yoshi once just to see what happened).

If my domestic circumstances were different maybe I'd have a lot more and dot them all around my home, but I don't, so most of them are just sat in a box currently.

Edited on by rockodoodle

rockodoodle

rockodoodle

MS7000 wrote:

Oh lordy. I have a fairly sizable amount of amiibo; nowhere near a full collection, but enough to have a dedicated shelf. I have one of every Zelda amiibo and one of every Splatoon amiibo (barring the recolours of the splat1 amiibos), and a variety of other amiibos. I would probably have more if I could hunt them down for a reasonable price (regret not being able to get the giant yarn Yoshi amiibo, and the two Metroid amiibos).

Was it a waste of money? Probably, I don't think Nintendo ever managed to properly make use of amiibo, such as a dedicated game (not the demo collection for vc on Wii U). So most of the time, they are just sitting on my shelf.

Do I regret it?

...No. No I don't think I do. They are still pretty cool to look at, and is a good bit of gaming history.

I think the way the WiiU went, Nintendo did not mean to create artificial scarcity, at least at first. But I got caught up in the hunt, and there is a part of me that really wishes I was more selective. Like, maybe just my top 20. So there's a part of me that's thinking, "Damn, that's a lot of money to spend on plastic toys."

rockodoodle

Cynas

All of the figures, including all color variants and Japanese exclusive ones, as well as the skylanders crossover amiibos. I don't really collect the amiibo cards though, and obviously I don't have the exclusive amiibo prizes (like the gold/silver Monster Hunter amiibo). I wasn't really planning on collecting them all, but at a certain point I realized I had most of them so I figured I might as well try to complete the collection.

I wouldn't say I regret it, I actually had a lot of fun looking around pawn shops and local sellers trying to find all of them, and I really enjoy all of the franchises that they're from.

If amiibo were still releasing at the rate that they were when they first launched I wouldn't try to keep up at all, but at this point only a few get released per year so it's not too hard on the wallet. I dont have the a good place to display them at the moment, but when I move out of my apartment I plan on having a dedicated gaming room in my next place, so I'll build or buy a nice shelf to put them on.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Shadowthrone

I have 4 Amiibo. I bought a Toon Link/Zelda 2-pack, Bayonetta and I have the Wolf Link that came with Twilight Princess.
No regrets at all not getting into them. Don't get me wrong, they'd be cool to have, but scarcity and scalpers/obscene prices that came about make me glad I didn't pursue them.

Shadowthrone

Silly_G

I have all of the figurines, including Japan exclusives and colour variants (unless I have inadvertently skipped any). I don't have the Skylanders figurines as I perceive them as Skylanders figurines first and foremost, that just happen to function as amiibo (and I wasn't going to buy four SKUs of the same game just to get four stinkin' figurines for a game I never wanted to play). I don't feel any burning in the bosom for not having them either, but if I had been able to procure them without breaking the bank, then perhaps I would have considered it. And even though the regular Bowser and Donkey Kong figurines were available separately, I wasn't keen on buying them if I couldn't grab the dark variants as well.

I have mostly given up on trying to get the cards though. I bought retail boxes of Animal Crossing series 2-5 and the Mario Sports Mix sets, but only ended up with a complete set of Animal Crossing series 2. I also missed out on the Sanrio pack, for which scalpers are demanding OBSCENE prices on eBay.

I'd say my favourites are, ironically, Qbby (in its simplicity), squishy Metroid, and the Guardian amiibo.

I would like to be able to use them more often, but Nintendo hardly implements any sort of useful functionality into their games.

@Cynas : This is the first I'm hearing about the exclusive Monster Hunter amiibo.

Edited on by Silly_G

An affiliate link to a Link in need is an affiliate Link indeed.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

MarioLover92

I have quite a few amiibo figures myself. Most of them are from the Mario series (including Mario, Peach, and Bowser in their wedding outfits back when Super Mario Odyssey came out), but I have some amiibos from Smash Bros., Zelda, and Metroid too. I have Yarn Yoshi (green), 8-bit Mario (classic colors), and Shovel Knight as well. The most recent one I got was the Link's Awakening one - I had to have it once I saw it hanging on that shelf, because Link looks cute like that. lol

Most of the amiibos I have are of my favorite characters, and I went with the flow with what was available in whichever store I walked into. I don't regret having the ones I got, I have them all displayed on one of my shelves and they're nice to look at. I use them for Smash Bros. occasionally, as well.

SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Please let me know if you're gonna add my Switch FC, or I will have to delete your request. Thanks!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | My Nintendo: MarioFan92 | Twitter:

Cynas

@Silly_G Yeah, the gold and silver Monster Hunter amiibo were given out in as prizes for competition in Japan. In addition to those, there are also 10 gold Mega Man 11 amiibo figures that were given out as raffle prizes in Japan.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Silly_G

@Cynas : The more you know! I can take solace in the fact that these are most likely just repainted from their standard variants. I very much doubt that they would have bothered spending money in order to have such a negligible quantity manufactured from scratch.

An affiliate link to a Link in need is an affiliate Link indeed.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

rockodoodle

Cotillion wrote:

I have 4 Amiibo. I bought a Toon Link/Zelda 2-pack, Bayonetta and I have the Wolf Link that came with Twilight Princess.
No regrets at all not getting into them. Don't get me wrong, they'd be cool to have, but scarcity and scalpers/obscene prices that came about make me glad I didn't pursue them.

Bayonetta looks sharp. Your investment is quite sensible.... Mine is a little outta hand

rockodoodle

rockodoodle

I might appreciate mine more if I had a display for them.

Cynas wrote:

All of the figures, including all color variants and Japanese exclusive ones, as well as the skylanders crossover amiibos. I don't really collect the amiibo cards though, and obviously I don't have the exclusive amiibo prizes (like the gold/silver Monster Hunter amiibo). I wasn't really planning on collecting them all, but at a certain point I realized I had most of them so I figured I might as well try to complete the collection.

I wouldn't say I regret it, I actually had a lot of fun looking around pawn shops and local sellers trying to find all of them, and I really enjoy all of the franchises that they're from.

If amiibo were still releasing at the rate that they were when they first launched I wouldn't try to keep up at all, but at this point only a few get released per year so it's not too hard on the wallet. I dont have the a good place to display them at the moment, but when I move out of my apartment I plan on having a dedicated gaming room in my next place, so I'll build or buy a nice shelf to put them on.

rockodoodle

SwitchForce

My regrets is box boy from Japan is outrageous. Otherwise I got more or less all the complete Amiibos that were released minus Skylanders(waste of money). I did get all the Monster Hunters 3DS version as well. They are now way more then what I paid when I found them. My guess is probably ~300 Amiibos for all the series that came out. Problem is no room to display so most are in their box and some in bigger box holding them all.

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

bpapa2020

I don't have all of the amiibo, but I'm close. I'm missing a few of the alternates - like Gold Mario/Mega Man, all of the different Yarn Yoshis, Smash Bros. Player 2s, and I didn't get any imports etc. For some reason I just saw buying them as absurd, even though I already had every amiibo at the time of their release. Probably should have just gone all the way.

Do I regret it? Eh. If I tally up the amount of money I've spent on them and the amount of usage I've got out of them, I could see myself leaning towards yes, lol. Also most aren't even on display, I have them all in a big 'ol box somewhere.

It would be nice if there were more ways to use them, but I keep buying the few that trickle out.

bpapa2020

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic