Forums

Topic: Ranking the Pokemon Games!!!

Posts 61 to 80 of 82

Pokefanmum82

RBY are my favorite because it was my first video game and my brother & I had the best time trading and bonding with each other when we played together. So go ahead give me a hard time about them being number one in my book.

Want: Mario Party Top 100, Atlus games, Psychic Spectres for the 3DS. For the Switch Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi and many others.

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing Stories, Crystal and Ultra Sun.

nf_2

TheLZdragon wrote:

How about I share issues then

1. Psychic types have no real weakness
2. TMs don't have names
3. Kanto is the smallest region next to Johto
4. Most of the new features aren't seen in RBY including the ones above

LegendOfPokemon wrote:

1. Special Attack and Special Defense aren't separated
2. No physical/special split
3. No breeding
4. No trainer rematches
5. No postgame other than catching Pokemon
6. No held items
7. Barely any Bug and Dragon-type moves

The typing issues are really only issues if you're battling competitively. I agree that they're pretty annoying, but they're not inherently problematic. Talonflame last generation was basically uber because of it's ability, but it didn't break the game. The same idea applies to the lack of dragon/bug moves. It affects how useful these types are, but it doesn't actually take away from the gameplay.

TMs Names - Legitimate and definitely an annoyance. I'd go father and say that not having any in-game information on attacks was worse.

To repeat what was said above, size =/= quality. Not saying that Kanto is the best region, but for goodness sake at least it wasn't a straight line. You could even do multiple gyms out of order. If anything, I'd prefer an open style where gyms can be completed in any order and opponent Pokemon levels are scaled to yours. Kanto obviously doesn't do this, but it's the only region in the series that let's you have a varied experience.

The stat/attack splits don't really make a difference, they just add complexity. It's implemented well and helped balancing issues (kinda), but there's not any argument to be had that it actually improved the experience.

Trainer rematches - Fair point, but I can't say I ever really utilized them when they were there unless it was for convenient EV training.

Items - Agree. Items actually add variety to the gameplay and can encourage exploration/side quests. I wish they would use items as side quests a little more, but overall items made the series better all around.

I can fault Gen 1 for it's item/pokemon storage (which by the way, SM's Pokemon management is a pretty annoying step backwards) and clunky interface. Gen II on had vastly improved item management and much faster/smoother menus and general gameplay.

nf_2

3DS Friend Code: 0774-4745-0158 | Nintendo Network ID: Sajak19

LegendOfPokemon

@roy130390 No, I get it. I just wanted to point out issues I have with the game. I still have loads of fun with it even with all of its issues and can totally see why it would be someone's favorite, just not the best mechanically. ūüėÉ

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

LegendOfPokemon

@gizmoto I'd say Sun due to the exclusives (like Solgaleo over Lunala and Rufflet over Vullaby). The 12-hour time difference between games doesn't matter because you can change your 3DS' internal clock to fit your preference.

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

nf_2

@LegendOfPokemon To bring this back to Gen 1, Sun also has Vulpix over Sandshrew, in what has to be the biggest discrepancy ever. Otherwise I actually prefer Moon's exclusives overall, but there's so few version exclusives compared to what's available anymore that it really doesn't matter much.

nf_2

3DS Friend Code: 0774-4745-0158 | Nintendo Network ID: Sajak19

LegendOfPokemon

@nf_2 Version exclusives don't even matter at all with the GTS, honestly.

"You feel it? Fawful is also feeling it! I am needing to feel it even more, though!" - The magnificent Fawful

Currently Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

-Green-

Well they do in the cases of people who don't happen to have access to the internet. I can vouch for that.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Bolt_Strike

Pokefanmum82 wrote:

RBY are my favorite because it was my first video game and my brother & I had the best time trading and bonding with each other when we played together. So go ahead give me a hard time about them being number one in my book.

They're the best because it was my first video game... brilliant argument there.

Seriously, take the nostalgia goggles off guys, RBY aren't that great, newer games have well surpassed them. Even as mediocre as XY were, at least XY has remotely realistic level design and a good variety of Pokemon. There's such a thing as opinions, yeah, but just because you like something doesn't necessarily mean it's good. My list looks very different if I were to list it based on how much I like a game vs. how good the game actually is.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

-Green-

Wells depends on what standard he's judging it on. If he's talking about what game he simply had the most fun and enjoyment playing, then I feel that it's understandable for him to say it's 'number one in his book'.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Bolt_Strike

-Green- wrote:

Wells depends on what standard he's judging it on. If he's talking about what game he simply had the most fun and enjoyment playing, then I feel that it's understandable for him to say it's 'number one in his book'.

He just said it was trading and battling. Which, you know, you can do in any game.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

-Green-

Bolt_Strike wrote:

He just said it was trading and battling. Which, you know, you can do in any game.

It seems she enjoyed them more because of the experiences she had with her brother on them when younger. Because of the enjoyment and fun she had playing them, they're number one in her book.

Basically, she's rating them on how much she enjoyed them.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Bolt_Strike

-Green- wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

He just said it was trading and battling. Which, you know, you can do in any game.

It seems she enjoyed them more because of the experiences she had with her brother on them when younger. Because of the enjoyment and fun she had playing them, they're number one in her book.

Basically, she's rating them on how much she enjoyed them.

Again though, that's not really ranking games based on how good they are, that's ranking them on how much you like them. Which is a LOT more arbitrary and subjective a ranking system than based on quality.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

-Green-

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Again though, that's not really ranking games based on how good they are, that's ranking them on how much you like them. Which is a LOT more arbitrary and subjective a ranking system than based on quality.

Well yeah, but that's why I said it depends on what standard she's judging/ranking them. It's obviously more opinionated but I see nothing wrong with her stating that RBY are her favorite. It's somewhat pedantic, but it doesn't seem like she's saying they're the best, rather just that they're her favorite because of personal reasons.

But I feel it's best that I stop speaking on behalf of someone else. My point was that it depends on what standard one judges them on and effectively what claims they make.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Pokefanmum82

Bolt Strike I am allowed to rank these games based on my personal preferences just like you and everyone else is. I don't care what you think about my choices, because they are mine not yours so get over yourself already.

Want: Mario Party Top 100, Atlus games, Psychic Spectres for the 3DS. For the Switch Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi and many others.

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing Stories, Crystal and Ultra Sun.

roy130390

@Bolt_Strike I pretty much made a list on the reasons I have been told from people that prefer those games without basing it on Nostalgia. Seriously dude , change the attitude and understand something: It's ranking the games on preference (as much as you think your perspective is more objective, it isn't, sorry) and liking something does actually mean it's good to you, hence why you like it in the first place.

"My list looks very different if I were to list it based on how much I like a game vs. how good the game actually is."

You aren't arrogant enough to think that you can establish the standard of what's good and bad for everyone, right? As much as you want it to be different, you just made a list of how good you THINK those games actually are.

roy130390

Bolt_Strike

I'm not saying it isn't subjective, of course there's a subjective element to this. What I'm saying is basing it on "I traded and battled with my brother when I was a kid" is a pretty arbitrary reason since you could make that same claim for literally any game in the series (because you know, that's one of the core tenants of this series). Not really good reasoning to favor one game over another. Opinions are stronger when they're supported by logic and reason.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

roy130390

@Bolt_Strike Sure, opinions are stronger when supported with logic and reason, hence why I explained how some people prefer the simple experience the first games had and why. However, considering that there were no rules or requirements established by the OP in order to rank the games, if the person wants to do it based entirely on nostalgia I believe that said person is free to do it. Sure, you are free to mock the person too, but I expected more from the people of this kind of threads. Moking aggressive, offensive people makes sense, but making fun of someone's opinion and invalidating it just because you don't agree and you consider said opinion is weak is of bad taste. I expect disagreements and opinions shared on why you think otherwise, withour saying stuff like "Opinions can be wrong" (not quoting you here). My mistake, I guess.

"They're the best because it was my first video game... brilliant argument there."

Well, to be fair, that's not exactly what she said.

"RBY are my favorite because it was my first video game."

This is exacty how she said it. She didn't say "the best", she said my favourite. Those games don't need to be superior to the sequels at any aspect in order to be her favourites. Also, if she had said "the best" without establishing that it's her opinion (as you wrote it) it would sound like she's posting it as a fact. Changing a couple words can make quite the difference, that's why it's recommended to quote the person exactly as he/she said it.

" So go ahead give me a hard time about them being number one in my book."

I guess you took this one as a challenge.

I definitely understand and even agree with your point, but there are better ways of sharing a point of view or suggesting people something (like how you did it in your last comment). For example: I expected that people suggested that guy who also preferred the first ones not to say that the sequels are garbage in order to be more respectful to other opinions, but instead they did the same thing by invalidating the guy's opinion and telling him that he's wrong. It's just a vicious cicle that can turn a peaceful thread into a conflict zone. Personally, I don't mind that you say X/Y are mediocre even if I really disagree with it, but if I'm going to tell you why I don't think so, I can do it in a respectful manner since it's just your opinion.

roy130390

Pokefanmum82

@Bolt_Strike but those are the only games I played with my little brother. Him and I are 7 years apart thank you very much. It was when him and I were the closest. That's why I love those games because they were what got me into gaming and I had a lot of fun with my lil brother. So knock it off already.

Want: Mario Party Top 100, Atlus games, Psychic Spectres for the 3DS. For the Switch Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi and many others.

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing Stories, Crystal and Ultra Sun.

VoltageX

@Pokefanmum82 I think that the main problem in this argument is that both sides fail to see the point of the other one. from what I understand, Bolt Stike says the 1st gen games are worse than the others in terms of gameplay and other gaming aspects. You, on the other hand, say the games have value that is based on the time you played them, on the enviroment that was in that era and the overall feeling you had while playing them.
those two opinions dont have to collide with each other, as I see it. cant you agree that the games are mediocre in terms of gameplay to him but have a deep value to you, which depends on how you felt when you played them?

its like you argue on one sigle thing, when in truth its about two different aspects

VoltageX

Pokefanmum82

I was just saying why Red/Blue/Yellow were my number one in ranking just like he is able to rank the games based on the way he wants to rate them. I never said he couldn't rank them the way he wants to. And I will be ranking them the way I want to. And that's all I have left to say on this.

Want: Mario Party Top 100, Atlus games, Psychic Spectres for the 3DS. For the Switch Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi and many others.

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing Stories, Crystal and Ultra Sun.

Top

Sorry, this topic has been locked.