Forums

Topic: Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon discussion

Posts 701 to 720 of 980

Kimyonaakuma

So I've finally started playing this, not as much as would have liked to but I have things to do for school

I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought! I don't really remember every detail of Moon but Ultra Sun seems to be reasonably different. The opening act seems more streamlined and the world seems a little more "alive" with more Pokemon on the routes (Spinning with that Rockruff is weirdly addictive...) .

I know that the majority of the game is similar but it's actually making me enjoy the new parts more when they happen. The Mantine beach fits pretty seamlessly with the original area and was introduced nicely. Not gone far enough into the game to Mantine surf though, I've only just finished the first trial.

The Ultra Recon Squad seem cool, I'm hoping to battle them a few times instead of just following them around though. I was confused when they said that didn't have any Pokémon though, the trailers show them with a UB Adhesive (I don't know the actual name yet) but they don't seem to have them here. It seems unlikely that they just caught one or two in Alola...

Kimyonaakuma

Kimyonaakuma

@Tsurii I went with the opposite of what I bought last time, so I have Ultra Sun. That way I'll have a Solgaleo and the exclusives from the original Sun.
I think the only Pokémon that I will miss out this way is UB Assembly, but I can live with that. I doubt I'll find someone to trade with because you need friends for that

Kimyonaakuma

Eel

Oh so that's only one of each (1 burst/assembly + 1 adhesive + 1 spoiler)... Or 2 burst/assembly + 1 adhesive?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Kimyonaakuma

@Tsurii Glad that I could help! Sorry to hear that your 3DS was stolen though
I was going to buy Sun at some point but I never really had the money to buy a game that was so similar to one that I already owned, so I was happy that I had an opportunity to get the Sun exclusives.

That Buzzwole looks pretty cool! Some shinies don't look so good but the green kind of works.

@Meowpheel For real!? I've never had anyone to trade with before so that would be awesome!

I'll need a Buzzwole and Kartana but if there are two per game then I'll be happy to trade with anyone. Same goes for UB Burst.
The Ultra Wormhole legendaries are up for trade too if anyone wants them, except for Reshiram because I never had a game where I could catch one.

I've heard that it's 2 Burst/Assembly and 1 Adhesive, but 2 Adhesives would have been nice...

Edited on by Kimyonaakuma

Kimyonaakuma

Araquanid

2 burst/assembly and kinda forced on you rather then ultra wormholes.

The rest are ultra wormholes and they're respawnable, not sure if they mean you have an infinite supply or if you kill them they come back, but they emphasize they're respawnable.

poipole is 1 in the entire game also it evolves via level up knowing dragon pulse, one of those cases where you can miss its evolution accidentally

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Tyranexx

Meowpheel wrote:

So far I've noticed some changes. This one features 80% less Kukui home invasion.

Yeah, he was quite good at doing that in the original Sun/Moon....Though to be fair, the main character in pretty much any Pokemon game is guilty of home invasion. XD Either way, thanks for the laugh!

@Late: I stumbled upon the woman with the Machamp purely by accident (I was searching for Zygarde cells). I was so glad that I did; it was the little touches like that that made me appreciate the little things in Sun.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Bolt_Strike

Don't worry about Zygarde Cells, you get Zygarde a completely different way in this game.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Araquanid

Yea zygarde cell collecting is gone, kinda nice but still sucks zygarde got shafted, again. Instead that system got replaced with totem stickers which are just pokemon with bigger models with nothing changed about them except for height and weight (basically they're nerfed via take more damage from grass knot.)

Also you can infinitely get ultra beast, they do respawn with limitless supply. Legendaries not so much.

Edited on by Araquanid

My Shinies

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Araquanid

Well then...

Pokebank just updated for USUM. That was unexpected, that didn't take long.

Edited on by Araquanid

My Shinies

Araquanid

Mr. Krabs is the exception, he only spawns once.

Also Blace/Stakakasdfaerhgsetvr are exceptions because they're part of the post game story (slightly) so you do them in a mission like fashion in the real world and can't get them again. (just like the ultras in sun/moon)

The wormhole ultras minus guzzlord you can free farm.

Also worth mentioning: a pokemon's stuff is pre-determined when you enter the area rather then when you get in battle. You can actually soft reset the shinies for better stats and natures, but you can't soft reset the same pokemon until its shiny.

Not sure if that's just for the regular pokemon or all the legendaries, ultra beast, and the regulars, but its definitely something to think about.

EDIT: attempt #10 and still no battle spot opponent found. C'mon even release sun & moon had players day 1...

Edited on by Araquanid

My Shinies

Octane

@Araquanid So.. what's the point of those totem Pokemon then? Don't they get a stat boost or something?

Octane

Araquanid

@Octane Literally none, just a model size change. There is absolutely nothing different from the totem to the regular except for minor height and weight mechanics (regarding low sweep, heavy slam, and grass knot, which since none of them really use those moves, they're just hurt more by low sweep and grass knot since they're heavier.)

Its a really pointless in-game gimmick that probably sounds cool in theory to have on your in-game team, but doesn't actually affect gameplay.

As much as I'd love to use bigger spider, grass knot is too common nowadays for me to even bring it up seriously.

Edited on by Araquanid

My Shinies

Kimyonaakuma

@Araquanid That's it? How disappointing...

I'll still collect them but I was hoping for more. I thought that they would have the Beast Boost ability because they always increase their stats when you fight them. At least it's something new to do during the game.

Kimyonaakuma

Eel

I guess the totem pokemon are relatively rare pokemon to begin with. No neeed to catch them yourself for the pokedex now.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Araquanid

Even gameexplain gave the game a pretty bad review.

You can't really go by amazon reviews though because those are unprofessional customers that reviewed the game and half the time were motivated to go back and post a review on amazon via rage or something where as those who enjoyed stayed away.

In fairness though, you can't review pokemon ultra sun and moon as a series game, but as a game of its own. Its the fact that its another pokemon game so people are reviewing ultra next to plat/BW/XY etc when they should be reviewing ultra sun and moon for being ultra sun and moon without factoring in other content.

Ultra sun and Ultra moon, when put besides other pokemon games, where pretty bad in the story tbh, like really bad in comparison to even sun/moon. My one friend's eye was twitching when I told him what some of the villians said and how they somehow succeeded. Cyrus apparently won, erased human emotion, still has palkia.. but he was brought into alola via a shadow dragging him into a nother world... doesn't that sound awfully familiar but in an extremely opposite order of events. It did not improve any character development except for guzma, and lusamine isn't the same lusamine, she has a majorly different character opposite of sun and moon's... in SM she's doing the right thing for the wrong reasons clearly, in ultra she's doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.

However, ultra sun and moon, for what it is, were still fantastic games. They don't live up to an expected standard that we wanted viewing the past games, but standalone, yea... I'd say still worth a 9/10, just if you played SM already you have to go in acknowledging your playing the same game but different with slightly more content so its not worth 80 dollars to play both 40 dollar games, but sadly due to how they release these things you just can't expect the sequel and try the first editions anyway (especially now we know they can pull a gen 6).

_

The games itself were still modern standard games with not that many issues besides forced tutorials, and it did feel like I was forced into the game making decisions for me (like why couldn't I option to mantine surf and go on the boat with lillie to the next island? I'd pick the boat but sadly I was forced the surfing tutorial which I hated so much). It didn't feel like a choice based RPG where I could do things in an order I wanted, it was all on a straight rollar coaster.

Characters were still likeable although the characters you wanted to hate (villians) are far more interesting then the characters the game attempts to connect the player with (yours, Lillie, Hau, etc), your friends you wanted to go away after so many insufferable cutscenes and unnecessary text that has nothing to do with the story or gameplay but rather is just there in hopes that it makes those characters express emotions or show they're attached and willing to have conversations, which makes you want to push them away. Rotom dex is another one, he never shuts up and unless you interact with him his eyes will always look depressed on your bottom screen, interacting with the map system is an innovative change for an RPG but the way it was done with a depressed unless interacted with map wasn't enjoyable, why should I be punished with an annoying fly constantly taking a little happiness away looking down just for deciding not to use the mechanic?

Core gameplay is solid and still fun and strategic, difficulty curves are there which actually does make this feel like older RPGs

______

TL;DR was going to write more but didn't realize how huge this post was... you should review Ultra sun and moon as ultra sun and moon, not as a pokemon game. Reviewing it as a pokemon game will surely make it sound bad but reviewing it as its own title makes it more tolerable. For instance, reviewing it as an RPG in general, those were the only negatives I wrote above as everything else was still really good.

Edited on by Araquanid

My Shinies

Bolt_Strike

It's not the reviews themselves that are significant, it's that half of the people reviewing the game gave it 1 Star. Usually when that many people are unhappy with a product, you start to lose money if you don't address it. I work for a company that sells products on Amazon, and I deal with this sort of thing all of the time and Amazon has taken down offers for less than this. Granted that's more for issues with damaged/defective products or receiving the wrong product, they're definitely not going to take down the listing for the game just because people don't like the game's content, but the same principle applies when it comes to addressing customer feedback. If I were looking a product with this kind of feedback at work, it would be well within the range where I would need to either address the issue or discontinue the product.

Octane wrote:

@Bolt_Strike They're clearly wrong, I've read this game is a 10/10

From who? Game Freak?

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.