Forums

Topic: Is Pokémon Coming To An End?

Posts 121 to 140 of 237

iKhan

Blast wrote:

@iKhan Bro... You liked Lysandre from X/Y? How?! He was boring! Not even intimating! Cyrus from Team Galactic and Ghetis from Black and White both easily stop Lysandre as a villain! N from Black and White is sooo much cooler than that poorly explained Pokemon War and that huge guy, AZ from X/Y I think.

Hahahaha just my... opinion.

I haven't played Gen 3 or 4, but Ghetsis pretty much added nothing to the story. I thought Lysandre, though cliche, had some depth to him. Ghetsis just seemed generally crazy, while Lysandre is someone who has a genuinely positive outlook until one day he just got fed up and decided to make an ultimate sacrifice. To me, he came across as a guy who had been driven insane by his own unrealistic ambitions and desires for the world.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Araquanid

Blast wrote:

And looking back on it... Is the Fairy type and Megaevolution just a bad idea? I think Megas are interesting and bad at the same time. Cool to look at but poor execution in a actual battle.

I think the mega evolution was a good innovative mechanic. When you have over 700 pokemon, only a small minority are actually usable. A lot of pokemon are forgotten and unloved due to their uselessness in even casual games. Mega Evolution buffs some of the underappreciated pokemon (mawile, beedrill, lopunny) into threats that are actually usable, while not being technically broken themselves. (atleast in some cases)

My only problem with mega evolution, is the distributed of what does and doesn't get a mega.. for example, pidgeot and beedrill got a mega in the hoenn remake, when swellow and dustox were better fitting? Just seems really off... atleast they said they tried mega flygon so that ends my mega mence vs. mega flygon rant...

Fairies, idk it's not something I gave much thought. Personally I think we could've done without fairies... I'm not sure how crazy dragons would be without... since they were perfectly dealable in BW.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Blast

iKhan wrote:

Blast wrote:

@iKhan Bro... You liked Lysandre from X/Y? How?! He was boring! Not even intimating! Cyrus from Team Galactic and Ghetis from Black and White both easily stop Lysandre as a villain! N from Black and White is sooo much cooler than that poorly explained Pokemon War and that huge guy, AZ from X/Y I think.

Hahahaha just my... opinion.

I haven't played Gen 3 or 4, but Ghetsis pretty much added nothing to the story. I thought Lysandre, though cliche, had some depth to him. Ghetsis just seemed generally crazy, while Lysandre is someone who has a genuinely positive outlook until one day he just got fed up and decided to make an ultimate sacrifice. To me, he came across as a guy who had been driven insane by his own unrealistic ambitions and desires for the world.

... I gotta figure out a way for you to experience Pokemon Platinum's Cyrus. HE had true ambition and was driven for multiple of reasons. Ghetsis was crazy and I loved it. He treated N horribly and ran the Shadow Triad.... sorta.

But Lysandre? We needed much more scenes with him. He just didn't impress me at all. I understand you, though. Doesn't help that the Pokemon War was poorly explained.. which has tons of potential to be its own spinoff series.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

LzWinky

Lysandre was a bit crazy too, but too bad this is a kid's game and had to cop out the story. I'd argue he could be just as evil as Ghetsis and Cyrus.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

-Juice-

I truthfully found that one of the main reasons I disliked X and Y, ended up being the fact that I didn't pay attention to much of the dialogue. Lysandre... was a very scary character. We've seen people that want to TAKE OVER the world or RECREATE it, but Lysandre's character pretty much hit a touchy subject, since he has several parallels with Hitler. Lysandre decided to cause mass genocide in order to bring about his own version of beauty, that seems cheap and just thrown in so that it connects his motives with the games theme until you come to a certain understanding. He wants absolute PERFECTION, not just beauty in the form of stasis. What he basically means to do is kill off everyone he judges as IMPERFECT. That'd be like Hitler not only killing the Jews, but ALSO killing anyone who isn't part of the Aryan race. No blonde hair or blue eyes? Death for you, because you don't meet my standards of perfection. Lysandre is literally the most insane and terrifying villain we've had, and it's all hidden inside all of that cutesy dialogue. I surely hope we get a Z of some type, just so that they can give him the proper treatment he deserves. Team Flare may have been goofy, but Lysandre... Lysandre sure was something.

Edited on by -Juice-

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

Eel

Let's not forget he does start mass killing Pokemon in the route below the weapon. The grunts guarding the entrance are pretty direct about it.

Also, depending on the version, he might end up buried below heavy rocks unable to die for the rest of eternity.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

-Juice-

That's true. I found that I missed a lot of important dialogue from the random characters due to me being excited about the game. Playing again after a year has passed since I last touched it, the game is full of dark themes coated with happiness and a colorful, vibrant artstyle. There are a lot of dark things going on in the game, but you never really notice because the game seems so upbeat. It's similar to Wind Waker in that regard. Really morbid things are happening off screen and are mentioned in the dialogue you get when you talk to random strangers and other npcs, but it never really clicks because its so vibrant and whimsical. I'll also add that a lot of the game won't properly click until you give the game a second playthrough a few years later when you're not in a hurry to complete it and you have the time to talk to every NPC and examine every in-game object. I've truthfully became pretty happy with X and Y, and if I want challenge, I just do a nuzlocke. I've also made it a rule that I have to play with my Pokemon in Pokemon Amie once I get to each different town. That way the experience is so much more immersive. See, the things to utilize and immerse yourself in the world are there, you just have to take the initiative to use them.

Edited on by -Juice-

Araquanid

Lysandre wasn't no were near a good villian.

We had villians who wanted to take over the universe and balance of things which would result in mass destruction (cyrus, maxie and archie) but they had logical reasoning behind their goals.. seriously, lysandre was one of the dumbest villians who knew the outcome of his plan, yet still went with it, reasoning? Make a world beautiful by eradicating all life including himself... genius.

Like seriously, this guy is nothing but a suicidal terrorist.

My Shinies

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

iKhan

I think Lysandre was speaking beyond physical beauty when he said he wanted to make the world beautiful. He meant that he didn't think the world met his standard for what doing good is. I thought that was a pretty interesting motivation. Kind of reminds me of the villain from Tales of the Abyss.

I don't care that much though. IMO, Pokemon is better with less story. More story=more scripted handholding.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

MasterWario

It may be dying to us, but I don't think Gamefreak has any plans to stop it.

I just really wish, for once, that the legendary Pokemon, rare Pokemon and TMs or other stuff was actually difficult to GET to. Like, it'd be really cool if they made a sort-of 50 floor, randomly generated dungeon that had rarer Pokemon the farther you went down, and maybe a roaming legendary and an interact-able legendary on the last floor. You know, something that actually challenges my party and requires me to actually use those items, and not just for convenience. It always annoyed me how getting rare Pokemon was more like a chore than an adventure; close enough to not be a challenge, far enough away that's it a grievance to get there.

Sounds a bit like Mystery Dungeon I know, but I prefer the main series battling a lot more, and the mechanics in Mystery Dungeon are wonky.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

-Juice-

MegaBeedrill wrote:

We had villians who wanted to take over the universe and balance of things which would result in mass destruction (cyrus, maxie and archie) but they had logical reasoning behind their goals.. seriously, lysandre was one of the dumbest villians who knew the outcome of his plan, yet still went with it, reasoning? Make a world beautiful by eradicating all life including himself... genius.

No. Stop. All of your reasoning is based on personal preference and bias. Don't you dare try and sell your opinion as fact. EVER AGAIN. Each of these guys had motives, most wanted to either change or rule over the world. Some wanted to do both. The fact is, Lysandre is the first villain we've had with such an evil and malicious plan. He's specifically targeting people to kill and wants death, instead of the many other villains in the franchise which will kill, but their main goal is to change the world, reform it, or take over it and rule over the people they take over and manipulate. Lysandre's goal is to KILL everyone who isn't what he envisions as perfection. You can think one of these villains are better, that's fine. I won't allow you to belittle a villain just because he's not in your line of preference. Understand? People are allowed to like different things, and implying and almost outright saying that I'm wrong for thinking that Lysandre is a scary villain that holds up his own with the Pokemon villains of previous games just because you have a different preference when it comes to villains is just cheap and horrible, morally speaking. No Pokemon villain is better than the other, when it comes to stating something as fact. However, you can say that each villain has their own motives that make them unique and equally likable and that it's all up to preference.

Edited on by -Juice-

moomoo

Pokémon prints money.

Nintendo will pump out Pokémon games as long as it prints money. Whether its going downhill doesn't really matter; it still sells millions.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

Blast

MegaBeedrill wrote:

Agreed. Lysandre was a joke. Wasted potential.

Master of the Hype Train

Blast

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

MegaBeedrill wrote:

No. Stop. All of your reasoning is based on personal preference and bias. Don't you dare try and sell your opinion as fact. EVER AGAIN. Each of these guys had motives, most wanted to either change or rule over the world. Some wanted to do both. The fact is, Lysandre is the first villain we've had with such an evil and malicious plan. He's specifically targeting people to kill and wants death, instead of the many other villains in the franchise which will kill, but their main goal is to change the world, reform it, or take over it and rule over the people they take over and manipulate. Lysandre's goal is to KILL everyone who isn't what he envisions as perfection. You can think one of these villains are better, that's fine. I won't allow you to belittle a villain just because he's not in your line of preference. Understand? People are allowed to like different things, and implying and almost outright saying that I'm wrong for thinking that Lysandre is a scary villain that holds up his own with the Pokemon villains of previous games just because you have a different preference when it comes to villains is just cheap and horrible, morally speaking. No Pokemon villain is better than the other, when it comes to stating something as fact. However, you can say that each villain has their own motives that make them unique and equally likable and that it's all up to preference.

Personally, I don't think Lysandre was scary. Team Flare really wasn't intimidating either. We needed more scenes with him being crazy.

Master of the Hype Train

iKhan

MasterWario wrote:

It may be dying to us, but I don't think Gamefreak has any plans to stop it.

I just really wish, for once, that the legendary Pokemon, rare Pokemon and TMs or other stuff was actually difficult to GET to. Like, it'd be really cool if they made a sort-of 50 floor, randomly generated dungeon that had rarer Pokemon the farther you went down, and maybe a roaming legendary and an interact-able legendary on the last floor. You know, something that actually challenges my party and requires me to actually use those items, and not just for convenience. It always annoyed me how getting rare Pokemon was more like a chore than an adventure; close enough to not be a challenge, far enough away that's it a grievance to get there.

Sounds a bit like Mystery Dungeon I know, but I prefer the main series battling a lot more, and the mechanics in Mystery Dungeon are wonky.

Agreed. One thing that bugs me a little bit about X/Y is that with the berry farming system, it's easy to have 20+ Leppa Berries on you, basically making Ethers and Elixirs, two items that had been very valuable in the past, near worthless.

I made this point a while back, but I'd really love it if, instead of distributing them through events, Game Freak allowed people to get those "event legendaries" through super hidden quests. Imagine if every week, there was a new hidden quest that would give you either a special legendary. You didn't know what the quest was, instead you had to ask around and figure it out yourself.

Araquanid

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

MegaBeedrill wrote:

Lmao, Here's the thing...

Lysandre admitted he, pokemon, and all life will be eradicated

Tell me, how is he selecting who he wants to kill, and how he plans to successfully create a perfect world when he knows everything will be dead anyway... including himself? The other villians on the other hand which want to manipulate time, space, water, and land for their own beliefs and purposes, they think the outcome will work in their favor, and they underestimate the damage done by their acts.. in which you try to prevent. (Or in rocket's case, just thieving for finacial gain) Lysandre was aware the entire time the same outcome the player is aware of if his plan succeeds.. except his plan is flat out pointless and influences nothing but death and destruction and he knows this.. yet he will still continue his journey to execute his plan knowing it will utterly result in his own and everything he love's death. His logic behind his plan is simply terrible... atleast cyrus and the like will be manipulating something in their beliefs were they benefit from it, lysandre... it's just a kamakazi suicide atempt to kill everything realistically..

@MasterWario I think pretty much nailed the coffin on what the main issue with x/y and BW was.. the ease of finding things. It's not the linear pathway to the main story itself, but the lack of hidden legendaries and exploration to finding rare items that the game lacked.. the only pokemon in BW that really were hidden was volcarona, which isn't a legendary to begin with and you have a larvesta egg elsewhere, and kyurem which wasn't particularly hard to find once you walk around and realize the area opened up. The trios pretty much you'd find by accident at some point.

However pokemon like giratina-A in DPP had interesting paths leading up to it like turnback cave which offered some mysterious puzzle, or rotom who although wasn't a legendary.. was tricky to find in the TV at a certain hour. X/Y on the other hand only had zygarde, which the path to him isn't really interesting or reflective to what he may represent.. and the birds of kanto were just flat out difficult and annoying having to reencounter them several times before finding them at a location.. ORAS, all the legendaries you're forced to catch, latios, latias, rayquaza, kyorge, and groudon are put infront of your face no matter what. The regis are still puzzling and hard to find, but we already know what RSE did to catch them so it's not a big mystery in ORAS. I guess lugia/ho-oh were tough to find.. considering there is no indication were the scanner is, but that's about it.

Edited on by Araquanid

My Shinies

-Juice-

MegaBeedrill wrote:

BlatantlyHeroic wrote:

MegaBeedrill wrote:

Lmao, Here's the thing...

Lysandre admitted he, pokemon, and all life will be eradicated

Tell me, how is he selecting who he wants to kill, and how he plans to successfully create a perfect world when he knows everything will be dead anyway... including himself? The other villians on the other hand which want to manipulate time, space, water, and land for their own beliefs and purposes, they think the outcome will work in their favor, and they underestimate the damage done by their acts.. in which you try to prevent. (Or in rocket's case, just thieving for finacial gain) Lysandre was aware the entire time the same outcome the player is aware of if his plan succeeds.. except his plan is flat out pointless and influences nothing but death and destruction and he knows this.. yet he will still continue his journey to execute his plan knowing it will utterly result in his own and everything he love's death. His logic behind his plan is simply terrible... atleast cyrus and the like will be manipulating something in their beliefs were they benefit from it, lysandre... it's just a kamakazi suicide atempt to kill everything realistically..

@MasterWario I think pretty much nailed the coffin on what the main issue with x/y and BW was.. the ease of finding things. It's not the linear pathway to the main story itself, but the lack of hidden legendaries and exploration to finding rare items that the game lacked.. the only pokemon in BW that really were hidden was volcarona, which isn't a legendary to begin with and you have a larvesta egg elsewhere, and kyurem which wasn't particularly hard to find once you walk around and realize the area opened up. The trios pretty much you'd find by accident at some point.

However pokemon like giratina-A in DPP had interesting paths leading up to it like turnback cave which offered some mysterious puzzle, or rotom who although wasn't a legendary.. was tricky to find in the TV at a certain hour. X/Y on the other hand only had zygarde, which the path to him isn't really interesting or reflective to what he may represent.. and the birds of kanto were just flat out difficult and annoying having to reencounter them several times before finding them at a location.. ORAS, all the legendaries you're forced to catch, latios, latias, rayquaza, kyorge, and groudon are put infront of your face no matter what. The regis are still puzzling and hard to find, but we already know what RSE did to catch them so it's not a big mystery in ORAS. I guess lugia/ho-oh were tough to find.. considering there is no indication were the scanner is, but that's about it.

Wrong. He knew that innocent Pokemon and people would be wiped out, however he and all of Team Flare would have lived due to being inside of the Ultimate Weapon. The only time he realizes that he will die is when he decides to kill himself (Hitler also committed suicide, so in the end he's not only committing suicide, but attempting to end you in the rubble (or give you eternal life, which ends up being misery). Also, people who sacrifice so that their goals will come into fruition? Have you ever heard of Lelouch Vi Britannia? In the end all your doing is forcing your preferences on everyone else, which is highly disrespectful and wrong.

Edited on by -Juice-

Eel

All the Pokemon villains are ridiculously pathetic as far as villains go. For one reason or another.

Though, as far as I remember... Lysandre's plan involved saving himself and his grunts.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

LzWinky

Cyrus wanting to become a god and restarting everything is pathetic?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Eel

Not being able to defend themselves against a ten years old who just started training pokemon a few days ago is.

And let's not mention the Team Galactic uniforms. Or the fact the team is mostly composed of angry dorky teens.

But well, they're designed to be bad grow ups for kids to beat. They're meant to be like that.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.